"HD-Ray" display at Best Buy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-18-2006, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This is one of the strangest things I have seen in awhile.

If you have been in a Best Buy store, you've probably seen the HD DVD display with the HD-A1 hooked to a 42" Westinghouse LCD, along with a bunch of movies.

Well, my local Best Buy has the HD-A1 hooked to the Westinghouse, but the middle shelf has a "Coming soon to Blu-ray" sign, along with blue cardboard holders for the initial batch of movies.

What's up with that? Where are they going to move the HD DVD display?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-18-2006, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #3 of 24 Old 06-18-2006, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
"(SD-DVD) up converted to near HD quality" :rolleyes:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-18-2006, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
"(SD-DVD) up converted to near HD quality" :rolleyes:
Or the incomplete sentences that are found in that paragraph. I love the "Inventory Constraints continue on the Toshiba...since delivery of product has been inconsistent due to the high demand..."
post #5 of 24 Old 06-18-2006, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is great! Seems that from BB perspective format war doesn't exist! How come they not addressing the $500 vs $1000 issue?
post #6 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 05:03 AM

That's already apparent to consumers.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCDev
This is great! Seems that from BB perspective format war doesn't exist! How come they not addressing the $500 vs $1000 issue?
Generally speaking that is not an issue to early adopters and won't be an issue on by 2ed or 3ed generation players. BTW: Most 3ed generation players should be universal (except Sony and maybe Toshiba) mostly eliminating the war.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder how much that little stand and little area cost samsung or sony to put into BB to make it stand out from HD-dvd? does anyone know?
post #9 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Generally speaking that is not an issue to early adopters and won't be an issue on by 2ed or 3ed generation players. BTW: Most 3ed generation players should be universal (except Sony and maybe Toshiba) mostly eliminating the war.

If that happens it will be great.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #10 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 08:32 AM

A universal player does nothing for me without some assurance that it will be a permanent feature available. If it is still possible for one format to fall by the wayside, it will only serve to allow more time to increase our software investment in both formats - then if one format is abandoned, the loss is more significant.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 38
talk about really confusing the customers.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
A universal player does nothing for me without some assurance that it will be a permanent feature available. If it is still possible for one format to fall by the wayside, it will only serve to allow more time to increase our software investment in both formats - then if one format is abandoned, the loss is more significant.
You have hit the nail on the head!!

The universal player is also an unstable situation. It invites the studios to make a choice as to which format they want to continue pressing, and the stores stocking.

A universal player is just a step on the road to a single format. It makes easing out one of the formats less painful because people can continue to play their legacy "failed format" titles for a while. Then, when the universal player itself dies, they will find all replacement players are no longer universal.

An example is phonograph records. For a while in the 1950's, you could still buy players that played 78RPM records, even though they stopped being pressed in the mid 1950's. By the late 60's, it was hard to find a 78RPM player for your 78RPM collection. Things move much more quickly today in the industry BTW.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does anyone see the HD-A1 available on that bottom shelf?! Better snatch that up. We are SO very early in this format cat-fight that it will get sorted out before the average joe notices.

post #14 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizenga13
Does anyone see the HD-A1 available on that bottom shelf?! Better snatch that up. We are SO very early in this format cat-fight that it will get sorted out before the average joe notices.
I was standing in front of the display Friday at BB when they placed one on the bottom shelf. Thirty seconds later it was in the cart and on the way home.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The hardware companies quickly solved the problem of competing +R -R formats war for blank dvd's, and I would expect the same thing with HD DVDs. The only problem is that now we are stuck with two competing formats for blank dvds which pretty much perform the same, players/burners that will play/write both with two different formats of blank media made by just about all media companies. It would be best for all, if one of these format were allowed to die a natural death, thus simplifying the world for all concerned.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocktheglide
I wonder how much that little stand and little area cost samsung or sony to put into BB to make it stand out from HD-dvd? does anyone know?
What's weird is that the Blu-ray setup is still in the back where few people will see it.

It's hard to hide the HD DVD stuff any more than they already have... which makes me wonder where they are going to move it to.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw the Samsung player at BB yesterday running one of the BD movies on the Westinghouse 42 inch LCD. This is the same display that had been running the Toshiba HD DVD demo for two months. If Samsung is smart they will turn their player off as the PQ was absolutely sub par to what I have been seeing on the same display in HD DVD.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D
I saw the Samsung player at BB yesterday running one of the BD movies on the Westinghouse 42 inch LCD. This is the same display that had been running the Toshiba HD DVD demo for two months. If Samsung is smart they will turn their player off as the PQ was absolutely sub par to what I have been seeing on the same display in HD DVD.

I agree, in fact i just made a new thread about this:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...37#post7857137
post #19 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 10:48 AM

In 'How come they not addressing the $500 vs $1000 issue?' I was talking about BB guidelines. How can BB emploee explain the difference to customers?

And I think even early adopters would like to pay $500 instead of $1000 if they could, and I'm not talking about 'test-and-return' way of early adoption.
post #20 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy

Interesting, how these HD titles have only ~25% gross margin. I would have guessed >50%. Oh well........
post #21 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmabuyer
Interesting, how these HD titles have only ~25% gross margin. I would have guessed >50%. Oh well........
Only 5% on the combo title Rumor Has It. They (the studios) really need to either lower the price or kill the combo discs.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCDev
In 'How come they not addressing the $500 vs $1000 issue?' I was talking about BB guidelines. How can BB emploee explain the difference to customers?

And I think even early adopters would like to pay $500 instead of $1000 if they could, and I'm not talking about 'test-and-return' way of early adoption.
its been said on the forum all BB and CC employees say this to customers, "BR is the future of HD its true 1080p display"

some informed customers response:
"what about HD-dvd?"

BB or CC resonse:
"you mean BR DVD?"

informed customer again:
"no HD-dvd isnt that HD material"

BB or CC response:
"never heard of HD-dvd so you must mean Blu Ray"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
post #23 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmabuyer
I wonder what kinda margins they have on BR discs. It can't be much better, considering that the discs are more expensive to manufacture. Of course, the margins could be better if the studios are willing to take a smaller cut.

You also gotta remember that margin's on DVD are only as good as they are because the discs can be made for pennies these days. They probably make close to a dollar on the $5 discs.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocktheglide
its been said on the forum all BB and CC employees say this to customers, "BR is the future of HD its true 1080p display"

some informed customers response:
"what about HD-dvd?"

BB or CC resonse:
"you mean BR DVD?"

informed customer again:
"no HD-dvd isnt that HD material"

BB or CC response:
"never heard of HD-dvd so you must mean Blu Ray"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am seeing a significant change in attitude from the many AV sales folks I deal with all the time, especially BB and CC. Most are realizing that BD isn't what they thought it was and HD DVD is the real thing!

If you see them next to each other you'd be crazy to say that BD looks better - especially since Samsung does not seem to have a demo disk at all! As bad as HD DVD set-ups were, BD ones are turning out to be even worse!

The BB in Tyson's Corner is openly selling the Samsung Player. They have one for anyone to pick up who is interested. The manager there (I went to see if tomorrows HD titles were in and if they would sell me a few BD titles as well :)) said the BD player was the longest that an HD player of any kind has been on their shelf (this store got 2 new units plus one return (someone changed their mind in a hurry), so they put the return as the demo unit and I picked up the other). Amazing that you are able to sell and have a return before the product is even officially launched!!! WOW!!! :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page