"THE" PIONEER BDP-94HD Owner's Thread! - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 983 Old 12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So, I've been making my way through the Torchwood Blu-Ray set (fun little show), and a couple of times the player has done strange things. This happened once during an episode, and another time just after the opening credits: the screen flashes, first was macroblock-like patterns, then multicolored static. The first time it did eventually recover, the second time I just cycled power with the remote, and replayed the part with no problems. Anyone else?

First time with FW 2.4.? second w/ FW 2.5.0 It's going through a Denon DN-A7100 Pre/Pro to my Kuro PDP-5010FD.

I even had the occasional stutter when playing (SD) DVDs--it was Aliens from the Quadrilogy box set.

erik g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 983 Old 12-31-2008, 02:54 PM
All That Jazz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaderson View Post

So, I've been making my way through the Torchwood Blu-Ray set (fun little show), and a couple of times the player has done strange things. This happened once during an episode, and another time just after the opening credits: the screen flashes, first was macroblock-like patterns, then multicolored static. The first time it did eventually recover, the second time I just cycled power with the remote, and replayed the part with no problems. Anyone else?

First time with FW 2.4.? second w/ FW 2.5.0 It's going through a Denon DN-A7100 Pre/Pro to my Kuro PDP-5010FD.

I even had the occasional stutter when playing (SD) DVDs--it was Aliens from the Quadrilogy box set.

The same thing happened to me a long time ago a couple of times. I ejected the disk, reinserted it, and played it again. It never happened again. No explanation

A/V SYSTEM: Sony A9G 77” (main), Sony A9F 65”, Sony A8G 65”, Anthem 525, Anthem AVM 60, ProAc D80 L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surrounds, JL112E, Oppo 203 103 83, TiVo Bolt, Apple 4KTV, Shunyata Triton 3/Denali v2, Auralex room tx, black out curtains. 2 CHANNEL STEREO: Aurender N10, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DS DACs, PS Audio DMP SACD transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20 amp, Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers.
post #963 of 983 Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently ran across one of these 94hd new-in-box for $400 and was wondering if it was worth it. Is there a better BDP with a network ability available for less? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 983 Old 03-21-2009, 10:02 AM
All That Jazz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by weels View Post

I recently ran across one of these 94hd new-in-box for $400 and was wondering if it was worth it. Is there a better BDP with a network ability available for less? TIA

I replaced my 94hd for a Panasonic BD35 several months ago for $225. The picture and sound are just as good as the Pioneer for a fraction of the price but the biggest improvement was that it loaded in our BDs much much faster and has been glitch free unlike the Pioneer which would periodically freeze-up and have problems with the menus of some BDs despite the constant firmware upgrades. It also supports all of the advanced audio formats (DTS-MA, Dolby True HD). If I were you I would pass up the Pioneer and go for one of the new players out there.

A/V SYSTEM: Sony A9G 77” (main), Sony A9F 65”, Sony A8G 65”, Anthem 525, Anthem AVM 60, ProAc D80 L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surrounds, JL112E, Oppo 203 103 83, TiVo Bolt, Apple 4KTV, Shunyata Triton 3/Denali v2, Auralex room tx, black out curtains. 2 CHANNEL STEREO: Aurender N10, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DS DACs, PS Audio DMP SACD transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20 amp, Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers.
post #965 of 983 Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I agree with the above, if you would like to stay in the Pioneer family go with the 05, some time ago there was a firmware update that somehow crippled the network streaming capability. Lots of people had problems getting it to be stable and working right.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #966 of 983 Old 03-21-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw View Post

I agree with the above, if you would like to stay in the Pioneer family go with the 05, some time ago there was a firmware update that somehow crippled the network streaming capability. Lots of people had problems getting it to be stable and working right.

Thanks. I hate hearing that. I been wanting a BDP that allows me easy playback of my network wmv files. The Panasonic website doesn't actually mention wmv, any suggestions? What about the Pioneer 95FD?
post #967 of 983 Old 03-22-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've been scouring the threads and Pioneer's website and it looks like the '95FD is the last one that still has DlNA/UPnP access. So the only other option is a Playstation3 (I think the rest are just for Netflix, etc.). Looking through the '09FD manual shows that the Home Media is only for USB and burned disks--which I figure will be the same for the '23FD. So, I think I'll keep an eye out for the final Elite Plasmas which do work with network servers.
Oh, and as for NASes I've found that my Buffalo Terastation no longer works. Need to see if updating firmware works. But, I did talk with a Promise Technology Engineer, at Macworld 2009, who mentioned that their SmartStor will work with Pioneer (he notes both Promise and Pioneer are active in the DlNA group/committee)--I'm waiting for the new models to come out in April '09.

erik g
post #968 of 983 Old 07-08-2009, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know i'm bringing back a old tread, but I'm having issues with my 94HD. I recently upgraded to the 2.62 firmware and now any Bluray disk i play crashes. Within 5 minutes, i see a quick "analog snow" screen and then blank. I can't do anything, the only way to restart the player is to unpower and restart the player. Has anyone had these problems?

-DrPyro

I think IÂm addicted to placebos!!!
post #969 of 983 Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPyro View Post

I know i'm bringing back a old tread, but I'm having issues with my 94HD. I recently upgraded to the 2.62 firmware and now any Bluray disk i play crashes. Within 5 minutes, i see a quick "analog snow" screen and then blank. I can't do anything, the only way to restart the player is to unpower and restart the player. Has anyone had these problems?

-DrPyro

That doesn't sound good. We also updated recently to 2.62 but haven't played any blu-rays yet. We're supposed to have "Quantum of Solace" later today. I'll report back with any news.

"4k UHD makes today a great time to be alive"
post #970 of 983 Old 07-08-2009, 04:21 PM

**Update**
I have been doing some more testing today (after my embarrassment during family movie night). I have hard reset the unit (Stop + Power Button), and did a complete resetup, but this didn't solve my problem and within a few minutes the crash occurs. I have my system setup for direct HDMI connection to my Pioneer 6070 plasma. On a whim, i disconnected my LAN connection and this seems to have solved my problem (for the 10 minutes i have had the unit running). Will keep testing to be sure its the problem.

Yup.... I have an internet connection problem. A new Windows 7 RC box is causing all kinds of internet traffic and its kicking the 94HD causing it to lockup. strange.....

-DrPyro

post #971 of 983 Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

**Update**
I have been doing some more testing today (after my embarrassment during family movie night). I have hard reset the unit (Stop + Power Button), and did a complete resetup, but this didn't solve my problem and within a few minutes the crash occurs. I have my system setup for direct HDMI connection to my Pioneer 6070 plasma. On a whim, i disconnected my LAN connection and this seems to have solved my problem (for the 10 minutes i have had the unit running). Will keep testing to be sure its the problem.

Yup.... I have an internet connection problem. A new Windows 7 RC box is causing all kinds of internet traffic and its kicking the 94HD causing it to lockup. strange.....

-DrPyro

Good to hear you found the problem. Thx for the updates. We received "Quantum of Solace"(looks very crisp on the 94HD) and it played all the way thru without any problems.

We did notice a few changes upon startup though. After loading the disc, it took a few minutes for the first screens to show up and then the screen went black for about 2 mins. and I thought the machine had crashed but after waiting, the movie previews finally showed up but they sure took a long time and then the 'play' movie screen showed.

It seems the previous fw version was a little faster but I'm pleased Pioneer is still working on the 94HD. It's the only blu-ray player we have and it sure means a lot to us... ^_^

post #972 of 983 Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM

I used the "dead 94HD" excuse to order the OPPO player, hehe. I had been eyeing the OPPO for many many months, and sold my SACD player months ago in anticipation of getting the OPPO. I was able to convince the wife to let me order it, thankfully i ordered it before i was able to fix the problem. LOL. I wonder if she will notice if i just swap and sell the 94HD...hmmmm....

DrPyro

post #973 of 983 Old 07-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I used the "dead 94HD" excuse to order the OPPO player, hehe. I had been eyeing the OPPO for many many months, and sold my SACD player months ago in anticipation of getting the OPPO. I was able to convince the wife to let me order it, thankfully i ordered it before i was able to fix the problem. LOL. I wonder if she will notice if i just swap and sell the 94HD...hmmmm....

DrPyro

Oh that's sneaky, and clever. You operator you... ^_^

Well, I'm wondering if she'll notice a difference in picture quality... plz keep us updated on the results.

(You know she's gonna use this same tactic now for new shoes, don't u?? ^_^ )

post #974 of 983 Old 07-14-2009, 07:30 AM

Rats...she was at home when the OPPO was delivered. Oh well. I had to admit, the oppo is VERY VERY fast. Fast to boot, fast to load disks, its SOOO nice. She didn't even complain "why does it take so long", now she is saying "it was a mistake getting the old one". I can never win!

-DrPyro

post #975 of 983 Old 07-31-2009, 09:49 AM

Hey guys, I too updated to 2.62 the other day and last night I threw in "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and had a initial split second skip/pause in the first scene and then by scene 2, the player apparently honored the movie by acted out "The Day The BluRay Stood Still". It froze. I was able to shut it down normally (althought excruciatingly slowly) and then power off. Upon power up, the player said, Can't Play Disk... weird.

Fortunately, just yesterday I picked up the BDP-51FD for $150 , so I hooked it up and it played just fine. Now, I have to decide if I want to rollback the firmware to 2.58 and give it another go with the same disk to prove the issue is with the firmware.
post #976 of 983 Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 AM

This thread probably isn't too active, but I found an Open Box BDP-94HD for $100. I don't know too much about the features of this player, but is that a good price? The unit definitely has scapes on it, and I can see that the fan has dust on it. Should I just ignore the price...I don't want to be unsatified and I am willing to pay more for something newer, but I just saw the price...orig. 999.99 now 99.99. So it was worth asking you guys what you though.
post #977 of 983 Old 08-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispykickz View Post

This thread probably isn't too active, but I found an Open Box BDP-94HD for $100. I don't know too much about the features of this player, but is that a good price? The unit definitely has scapes on it, and I can see that the fan has dust on it. Should I just ignore the price...I don't want to be unsatified and I am willing to pay more for something newer, but I just saw the price...orig. 999.99 now 99.99. So it was worth asking you guys what you though.

We own this player and paid that big price when it was first released. I'd jump on the chance to have another for $100. It was quirky at first but the software updates have solved most of the issues. It's a little slow on startup but the picture is beautiful. I'd be curious to know what software version the unit has. You can easily download the latest version (now 2.62 I think) from pioneerelectronics.com and either burn the image to a cd or connect directly to your router for auto updates.

Cheers,
Tom

post #978 of 983 Old 08-08-2009, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
At $100 I would take 3...

I have an amazing 995ES for sale. Send me a PM. :)
post #979 of 983 Old 08-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Grab it quick, crispy, while Joerod's tied up with Lindsay Clubine... ^_^

post #980 of 983 Old 09-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I've inherited this Pioneer BDP-94HD and since it has a "Source Direct" resolution setting I find myself using this to play my DVDs at 480i to my Reon-VX powered audio/video receiver, which deinterlaces and upscales to 1080p and seems to do a pretty good job in that configuration. As the BDP-94HD is quite slow at doing just about anything I only use it for my DVD viewing as I have a much faster and more modern streaming-capable blu-ray player in addition to the BDP-94HD.

Question is, does anyone with experience care to comment on the quality of the source direct setting? I've heard occasional rumors that some dvd/blu-ray players automatically deinterlace and then re-interlace the image to output 480i. That would seem to be unnecessary work that would reduce the quality of output. Now I really don't think the Pioneer would be doing that but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Judging from the overall quality I see on my display, I think my signal chain is set up optimally and I really can't imagine the Pioneer is doing anything wrong. It appears to be putting out 8-bit color from what my receiver's OSD tells me, so would that mean it's putting out 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 8-bit? Is there a better way to do source direct?

Still I'm very curious to hear others' experiences.
post #981 of 983 Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It IS an older BD player, but it is helped immensely by updating the firmware from Pioneer. If you "inherited" it, the previous owner may not have kept up the firmware upgrades.

I still use it in my main system, but my MUCH cheaper current model Sony is significantly faster.

I don't use the source-direct function. I just send the picture through HDMI to my Sony XBR 960, and audio through my older Pioneer 59TXI receiver (no hdmi).

Sorry I can't help with your main question, but try upgrading the firmware. It's a little cumbersome, but it really does help - and made mine able to read current disks quite well. It also sped the thing up significantly. It may help your problem as well.

Larry
post #982 of 983 Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hi Larry,

Thank you for your post -- though really I'm not having any problems with this player, I was just looking for feedback on the faithfulness of its Source Direct resolution setting. I have already updated the blu-ray player to the latest firmware.
post #983 of 983 Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM

I have this player and have been happy with it other than the speed. I probably view 70/30 PAL DVD/BLU-RAY and some CDs using HDMI to my Kuro and digital out to my receiver.

I have an offer to trade this for a BDP-320 (possibly with some cash as well) as the other guy wants a player with analog outputs. Can anyone who's more up-to-date than me tell whether I gain anything with the trade (other than some cash)?

The other BD is 2.0 and can be made region free, but what about audio/video quality? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page