Samsung BDP1400 Disussion Thread - Page 414 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #12391 of 12886 Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will not play District 9...POS!

Finally got it to play by hitting enter/arrow down repeatedly while it showed the load icon. Showed complete menu with all selections.
Prior to that it would show icon loading and then freeze.
I could get it back to the previews but it would not produce menu items.

Loaded fine on the 1500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 12886 Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Had no issue with D9. 4th time watching it as a rental. Maybe a future purchase for me.

Anybody up for Jennifer's Body, Paranormal Activity, or The Perfect Getaway with their 1400 this week? Haven't seen Jennifer's Body yet, but both Paranormal and Getaway are great flicks. Highly recommended.

-
Samsung BD-P1400 Questions?
The 1400 Technical Boomoo Reviews
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Be INTOLERANT! Some things are just too stupid to put up with.
post #12393 of 12886 Old 01-01-2010, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

Had no issue with D9. 4th time watching it as a rental. Maybe a future purchase for me.

Anybody up for Jennifer's Body, Paranormal Activity, or The Perfect Getaway with their 1400 this week? Haven't seen Jennifer's Body yet, but both Paranormal and Getaway are great flicks. Highly recommended.

if you like cult harror, jennifer's body is pretty good, almost as good as evil dead II

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12394 of 12886 Old 01-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post

Hey guys;

I tried the to reload the disc several times, with no success. I also tried the blind navigation, for which it did not work either. Pressing stop for me did not work either. If I press the enter style button, the screen changes black, but nothing happens no matter how long I leave it.

I also have had the player freeze up after the previews, when the loading bar is supposed to show. This happens with this movie once ever 5 times or so.

My player is not connected to my network......I am too lazy to hook up a new router, so I only run the cable when I need it.

I would suggest re-installing FW Ver. 2.0. I have found that it plays new releases more consistently and it will display the movie menu where Ver. 2.1 will not. Try it...
post #12395 of 12886 Old 01-02-2010, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

if you like cult harror, jennifer's body is pretty good, almost as good as evil dead II

Megan's Body was smokin hot! But the movie was OK tho. Shoulda bought D9 instead.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #12396 of 12886 Old 01-02-2010, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

HOME ALONE

Distribution Studio Fox
Director Chris Columbus
US Theater Release Date November 16, 1990
BD Release Date December 2, 2008
MPAA Rating PG
Genres Comedy, Crime, Family & Kids
Runtime 103 Min
Video 1080p/23.976Hz | 1.85:1 | MPEG-4 AVC
Audio English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (Default) | 5.1 Dolby Surround English | 5.1 DTS French, Spanish, Portuguese
Subtitle English, Spanish, Spanish Text, Portuguese, Portuguese Text, French Text, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, English Commentary, Korean Commentary
Region A

OTHER MOVIE COMPARISON
A Christmas Story meets It's a Wonderful Life | How the Grinch Stole Christmas, To Kill a Mockingbird, Problem Child, Dennis the Menace, The Good Son, Planes, Trains, & Automobiles

WHAT'S THE MOVIE ABOUT?

The McCallisters were well on their way to France for Christmas when they realized they have left their 8 year old Kevin (Macaulay Culkin) home alone. Unfortunately this is also the season when "The Wet Bandits" (Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern) are patrolling the neighborhood in search of the next house to rob. When the McCallisters' house is next on the bandit's list, Kevin proves to be more than what they have bargained for.

TRAILERS, CLIPS, AND MUSIC VIDEOS

BARNEY'S BOOMOO FUNFACTS AND TRIVIA
Barney does not assume the accuracy for these funfacts and they are to be used for entertainment purposes only.

Chris Columbus also directed Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992), Mrs. Doubtfire (1993), Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001), and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002). He also wrote Gremlins (1984). His next film is Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief opens in US theaters February 12th, 2010.

Home Alone writer John Hughes also wrote another American holiday classic, Chevy Chase's "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" (1989). He also worked previously together with Macaulay Culkin and John Candy in "Uncle Buck" (1989).

Even though the part of Kevin was specifically written for Macaulay Culkin by John Hughes, director Chris Columbus interviewed over 100 child actors for the role just be be sure he was the one.

On a tight budget, the visual effects were done by Kevin Nordine mostly in his parent's basement in Chicago for a few hundred dollars at a time. The "evil furnace" in the basement was done by two guys with a good ol' fishing line and some high tech flashlights.

Daniel Stern (Marv, the other half of the Wet Bandits) directed several episodes, from 1989 to 1991, of the TV series "The Wonder Years" (1988-1993).

Macaulay Culkin and director Chris Columbus were only in the first two Home Alone movies. There was a Home Alone 3 and a TV adaptation produced in the series. Both parents and both of the Wet Bandits returned in Home Alone 2.
  • Home Alone (1990)
  • Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)
  • Home Alone 3 (1997)
  • Home Alone 4: Taking Back The House (2002 TV)
Macaulay "Mac" Culkin was 9 when he filmed Home Alone. In 1995, he appeared in Michael Jackson's music video "Black and White". Divorced now from Rachel Miner and engaged to Mila Kunis since 2002, both of them attended Michael Jackson's funeral service held at Glendale Forest Lawn Memorial Park.

Mac is the godfather of Michael Jackson's first child, Prince Michael and his daughter, Paris Jackson.

Mac shared the same birthday with the new captain Kirk of Star Trek (2009) Chris Pines. Both were born on August 26, 1980.

The VCR tape of "Angels with Filthy Souls" is a spoof on the movie "Angels with Dirty Faces" (1938) starring James Cagney (1899-1986) and Humphrey Bogart (1899-1957).

Home Alone enters The Guinness Book of World Records as the "Highest Box Office Gross - Comedy", earning $533,000,000 internationally. Amazing considering its budget was estimated to be only $18,000,000.

Feeding the fuel to support the urban legend that Elvis Presley is still alive, he is rumored to be the heavy bearded man in the background in the airport scene right before John Candy introduces himself to Kate McCallister. I don't see it. The guy looks more like Al Borlin from Home Alone... I mean Home Improvement.

Devin Ratray (Kevin's meathead brother Buzz) has a movie titled Courting Condi (2008) where he tries to hook up with the former Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice. Looks like some moonbat's bs. Probably can be crossed off my list of must see movies.

Ratray was also in Dennis the Menace (1993) and Bruce Willis' Surrogates (2009) as Bobby. Must have been a small part 'cause I didn't recognized him in any of the scenes. Plus surrogates that walked in the real world were all young, attractive, and perfect in every way. I don't think they had any weight issues?

Joe Pesci (Harry) would sometime forget he was making a family movie and often let out a slew of f-bombs. Director Chris Columbus recommended he say "fridge" instead. Obviously the same message didn't get across to the other member of The Wet Bandits. Daniel Stern (Marv) went on record to say "sh*t" as he accidentally drop his shoe through the pet's door around the 55 minute mark of the movie.

BARNEY'S BOOMOO RATING FOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE
Overall Home Theater Experience
Movie: Stupid So-So [ Spectacular ]
Video *
Audio **
Subtitle Legibility ***

VIDEO SUB-CATEGORY
Picture Clarity and Sharpness
Color Saturation
Picture Detail and Definition
Lighting
Blackness Level

AUDIO SUB-CATEGORY
Dialog Clarity
Balanced Volume
Detail, Integrity, Resolution, and Definition
Dynamics (Bass, Treble, Separation, and Transition)
Ambient Background Music and Soundtrack
Low Frequency Effects

* 1080p/24fps OFF.
** DRC: Off | Bitstream to Onkyo 805 | Reference Listening Volume : 58.0 db (abs)| Late Nite Mode: Off | Re-EQ: Off | 7.2 Surround Sound Setup
*** White text with thin black borders.

BD-P1400 TECHNICAL
Video Problem: No
Audio Problem: No
Load Problem: No
Total Loading Time : BDP-1400: 3 min 04 sec | PS3: 1 min 04 sec | BD35: 2 min 11 sec
Main Menu or Popup Menu GUI Intensity Rating: Simple [ Moderate ] Complex
FW: BDP-1400: 2.1 | PS3: 3.15 | BD35: 2.1

DISC FEATURES, BONUS MATERIALS, AND PACKAGE CONTENT WORTH NOTING

Annoying Menu Button Sound or Option No
Secondary Audio Yes, Commentary by Director Chris Columbus and Macaulay Culkin
Skip Previews "Shortcut" N/A
Resume Play No
Bookmark No
1990 Press Featurette
The Making of Home Alone
Mac Cam: Behind the Scenes with Macaulay Culkin
How to Burglar-Proof Your Home: The Stunts of Home Alone
Home Alone Around the World
Where's Buzz Now?
Angel with Filthy Souls
Deleted Scenes/ Alternate Takes
Blooper Reel
Mac Cam: Behind the Scenes with Macaulay Culkin

WHADABOUT THE MOVIE BARNEY?
Boomoo Rent-O-Meter:
Boomoo Collection Worthiness:

Barney's Comment on the Movie
I don't think the comical acts of Home Alone will ever get old, especially around the Christmas holiday season. The facial expressions of Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern as they go through agonizing feats just to be outsmarted by an 8 year old is too funny. I was fortunate to catch the first two Home Alone movies in the theaters as a teen. I've enjoyed both of them equally.

Barney Rating the Video
As expected, the picture quality of Home Alone is not going to blow you away. It's a movie released in 1990. Film grains seem to be predominately noticeable. Colors were well saturated, but fans of natural fleshtone will be displeased with the results. Lighting and blackness level however seem to be the best characteristics of the film picture quality assessment.

Barney Rating the Audio
The default 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is satisfactory for a film this age. It is clean. Most of the action is up front. You'll get the occasional surround sound special effects, but much like the bass up front, it is kinda flat. There is surprisingly some unexpected LFE output.

Barney's Recommendations
Home Alone 1 and 2 are probably some of my favorite movies growing up. Every Christmas I get the yearning to pop in the movie and sit back and enjoy an oldie, but goodie, comical holiday classic, while I'm inside cozy with the wife and kids, as the weather outside is way blistering cold. Not unless I can find a good sale on these two, I would likely continue to rent them as the festive holiday mood called for them (Home Alone 2 is queued up). I will bite when Fox does a restoration job on these much deserved family holiday classics.

LL

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #12397 of 12886 Old 01-02-2010, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey there everyone I think I am need of a firmware update since I have not done one in over a year and a half, some new movies either freeze up at the start menu or judder and freeze in the middle of the movie and yet others play right through just fine. I read alot of this thread and some info elsewhere about the updates and apparently the 2.0 update is better than the 2.1 (The latest) if this is true where can I get the 2.0 since it seems to not be linked to Barney's sig any longer.I also wanted to know what is the best way to update, straight to my modem or burn a disc thanks everyone for your suggestions and help, I would like to keep this player going as my problems have been very minimal , long load times are really my biggest issue, sawz..
post #12398 of 12886 Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzalot View Post

Hey there everyone I think I am need of a firmware update since I have not done one in over a year and a half, some new movies either freeze up at the start menu or judder and freeze in the middle of the movie and yet others play right through just fine. I read alot of this thread and some info elsewhere about the updates and apparently the 2.0 update is better than the 2.1 (The latest) if this is true where can I get the 2.0 since it seems to not be linked to Barney's sig any longer.I also wanted to know what is the best way to update, straight to my modem or burn a disc thanks everyone for your suggestions and help, I would like to keep this player going as my problems have been very minimal , long load times are really my biggest issue, sawz..

Ask and yee shall receive. FW 2.0 has been pushed up recently. Check it out.

If your player is connected to the network router, then update it through the web. Otherwise, use the CD-R method. Both are reliable, but with the CD method, you get to have a hardcopy of the FW version... incase, you want to go back to a previous version... and you don't have it... like most of us are having issues with now? I dewit both ways (get yaw's mind out of the gutter!). Because the 1400 takes about an eternity to update, I preferred the CD method because I don't know how long my home network will be up or how reliable it's gonna be. I don't have to wait for it to get the update online because it's already on the CD. Plus I could probably brick the player during process, I guess. Hasn't happened yet, but who knows.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #12399 of 12886 Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have downgraded to firmware 2.0

Loaded disc, same as before. URG. This time, I am going to let it self load, without skipping through, or touching anything, and see if that makes any difference. I also shut off everything, like PCM Compression etc, and something called hdmi anywhere cec.

Beamer: JVC RS420 || Screen: 120" SilverTicket 16:9 Frame || Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7 || Center: Paradigm Monitor CC390 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor Bookshelf || Atmos Rear: Polk || AVR: Denon AVR S710 || Streamer: Nvidia Shield ||Control: Harmony Hub Ultimate ||Console: Xbox One X
post #12400 of 12886 Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 AM

For some reason, I got it working.

What I did....

when the previews started, I hit stop. The player stopped. Then I hit disc menu, it started to load, and next thing I know, up popped all the menu! I stopped there, as my wife was not here to watch. lets hope it works next time.

This is with the downgrade to firmware 2.0

Beamer: JVC RS420 || Screen: 120" SilverTicket 16:9 Frame || Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7 || Center: Paradigm Monitor CC390 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor Bookshelf || Atmos Rear: Polk || AVR: Denon AVR S710 || Streamer: Nvidia Shield ||Control: Harmony Hub Ultimate ||Console: Xbox One X
post #12401 of 12886 Old 01-02-2010, 12:18 PM

guys,

why are we downgrading ??

I am running the most recent firmware and watched Inglorious Basterds a couple nights ago and District 9 last night, the problem is not with the player. One time during Basterds it did get stuck on the rating screen but i went to the disc menu > chapter selction > chapter 1 and it worked great. District 9 fired right up, no problems.
post #12402 of 12886 Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Some are downgrading because the current version is giving us issues. I was not able to load anything for IG or Monsters Inc. Once I have downgraded, all is working now.

Only thing that has changed, firmware version.

post #12403 of 12886 Old 01-02-2010, 01:01 PM

When upgrading firmware through the modem do I still get the choice of which version I want or will it go straight to the 2.1, I only want the 2.0 and I have some issues trying to make a disc, crapped up lapdog with a half arse version of nero thats bogging down everything, I am trying to remove it but it's taking all afternoon so far to clean up my dog and it still has not finished the un-install so I was going to plug the 1400 straight to the modem, comments ??
post #12404 of 12886 Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

When upgrading firmware through the modem do I still get the choice of which version I want or will it go straight to the 2.1, I only want the 2.0 and I have some issues trying to make a disc, crapped up lapdog with a half arse version of nero thats bogging down everything, I am trying to remove it but it's taking all afternoon so far to clean up my dog and it still has not finished the un-install so I was going to plug the 1400 straight to the modem, comments ??

First matter at hand is to potty trained the mutt.

I recommend IMGBurn to create the FW ISO file onto the CD-R. Look in my signature on how to obtain one and use it in a step by step instruction. Once you figured out it's a lifesaver and how easily it is to burn the FW image, please donate to them any amount you can.

FW upgrade via the internet is only applicable for the lastest version, which is currently 2.1. You do not have a choice in the matter, 2.1 or 2.1... if IIRC.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #12405 of 12886 Old 01-02-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Reverted to firmware 2.0. Now loads Battlestar Gallactica: The Plan... but now it won't load Ghostbusters.
Shiza!
*@#$!&*()(&^, @#$%[email protected]#$%^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
post #12406 of 12886 Old 01-03-2010, 11:29 AM

Hooray I loaded the 2.0 firmware and lo and behold my player now acts like so many others, (can't play disc), I never had those issues before, I watched 3:10 to Yuma last night , it was flawless loaded and played no problem, installed 2.0 this morning and just put that disc right back in as it was still on top of the player and smack me in the mouth , it no longer plays,all I can do is laugh at this point. I thought I was upgrading my firmware to help my player work some what better, WTF.
I should have quit while I was ahead, O P P O, nahhh. I am glad I have 265 HD DVD's, sawz...
post #12407 of 12886 Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hooray I loaded the 2.0 firmware and lo and behold my player now acts like so many others, (can't play disc), I never had those issues before, I watched 3:10 to Yuma last night , it was flawless loaded and played no problem, installed 2.0 this morning and just put that disc right back in as it was still on top of the player and smack me in the mouth , it no longer plays,all I can do is laugh at this point. I thought I was upgrading my firmware to help my player work some what better, WTF.
I should have quit while I was ahead, O P P O, nahhh. I am glad I have 265 HD DVD's, sawz...

i try to learn from all youse guys mistakes (thank you very much!). my 1400's still on fw 1.9.

AND STAYING THERE!

out of ~35 movies in 16 months, only one has not loaded and played; another, i had to go to chptr/scene one and start from there. and ~ 2 others had very minor and short skips/? but that could have been the discs.
otherwise it's been 'great'...well, maybe just 'ok'.
(edit-i suspect that if i watched a lot more movies/concerts on my 1400, i'd probably have a lot more problems with it).

i have fw 2.0 on factory cd but i'm not installing it 'cept as last resort.

oh. and i do clean/wash every disc afore playing them. seems to help a lot.
post #12408 of 12886 Old 01-04-2010, 03:12 AM

Well, the downgrade has helped me. If there is anything I have noted, it seems each player, or each disc, is hit an miss. While inglorious bastards was the first movie that would not play for me, the downgrade solved that.

With that said, I have about 65 movies, and if that ratio stays the same, I will be content for some time.

post #12409 of 12886 Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

I've had that happen before (not with ver 2.0) so I reloaded it and it worked! I always load FW updates twice, especially when I'm dealing with a Samsung unit (1400 & 2550).

Reload version 2.0 and report back...
post #12410 of 12886 Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

I've had that happen before (not with ver 2.0) so I reloaded it and it worked! I always load FW updates twice, especially when I'm dealing with a Samsung unit (1400 & 2550).

Reload version 2.0 and report back...

I downloaded the 1.9 version , installed that firmware back into the player and wallah, so far every movie I tested loaded fine without any crappy messages, I'm gonna grab my sons Basterd Blu and see what that does , but first some lunch, all this firmware updating works up my hunger, Thanks, sawz...
post #12411 of 12886 Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Scarffed down lunch and fired up the 1400, put in The Basterds and all was well until it hits the Rated R screen, once there it freezes and no more, but if I eject and start over instead of clicking on play movie I can move icon to scenes click on first scene and it will play as it should from there, no other problems with ten random blus that I tried, of course I did not watch past the starting 1st chapter but looks ok with 1.9 re-installed, sawz..
post #12412 of 12886 Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 AM

Rented "District 9" from BB yesterday. Cleaned the disk to remove all fingerprints and loaded into BDP-1400. First try was rejected. - "Unable to read" or similar message. 2nd try successful - movie played completely thru with no issues. F/W 2.0 installed.

Movie was a waste. Difficult to believe this was produced by Peter Jackson, producer of "Lord of the Rings Triology".
post #12413 of 12886 Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon04 View Post

Rented "District 9" from BB yesterday. Cleaned the disk to remove all fingerprints and loaded into BDP-1400. First try was rejected. - "Unable to read" or similar message. 2nd try successful - movie played completely thru with no issues. F/W 2.0 installed.

Movie was a waste. Difficult to believe this was produced by Peter Jackson, producer of "Lord of the Rings Triology".

bummer. sounds disappointing. what didn't you like about it?

thanks!
post #12414 of 12886 Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't know. I watched the "human" version (not sure if the "Alien" version is that different) but I thought it was pretty entertaining. Pretty funny if you can get over the fact that "aliens" are the ones in the slums. Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit. You could take it as a brain candy movie, or you can approach it as a social commentary (and everything in between).

Thanks,
Hansang
post #12415 of 12886 Old 01-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon04 View Post

The movie previews portrayed a conflict between an alien race vs humans in South Africa. But there was little conflict, mostly police activity. Initially I thought the movie was supposed to be a parody of apartheid, but it turned into a typical anti-corporate, defense/govt vs citizen victim. Central charater was a idealist clueless guy who was employed by a major defense org masquerading as a UN type organization tasked with "resettling" the aliens away from major cities. Most modern cliches were present, even the criminal Nigerian element.
post #12416 of 12886 Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DISTRICT 9

Distribution Studio Sony
Director Neill Blomkamp
BO Release Date August 14, 2009
BD Release Date December 22, 2009
MPAA Rating R, For Bloody Violence and Pervasive Language
Genres Science Fiction, Action, Thriller
Runtime 112 Min
Video 1080p/23.976Hz | 1.85:1 | MPEG-4 AVC
Audio English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (Default) | French 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio | 2.0 English Audio Descriptive Service
Subtitle English, English SDH, French, Hindi, English Commentary
Region ABC
BD-Live 2.0

OTHER MOVIE COMPARISON
Alien Nation meets The Fly | Avatar, Men in Black, Black Hawk Down, The Arrival, Buckaroo Banzai, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Predator

WHAT'S THE MOVIE ABOUT?
It has been 28 years since the mothership first came to Johannesburg, South Africa. Stranded on Earth and 1.8 million in population, the aliens are living right beneath the mothership in the slums the government has set up called District 9. Increase in crime and violent altercations with the locals, the prawns (derogatory) will have to be moved to Sanctuary Park, an alien relocation camp 200 km outside the city limits. Multi-National United (MNU) is assigned the task to relocate the aliens to their new home. Recently promoted field agent Wikus (Sharlto Copley) is placed in charge to give the eviction notices. On his first assignment, involved in an accident that would change him physically, he is now a wanted man from his former employer. MNU has been researching heavily into the alien's advanced bio-weaponry system which can only be controlled by them. They will stop at nothing to get a piece of him.

TRAILERS, CLIPS, AND MUSIC VIDEOS

Alive in Joberg by Neill Blomkamp (6:25)
The Halo (2012?) Movie Trailer

BARNEY'S BOOMOO FUNFACTS AND TRIVIA
Barney does not assume the accuracy for these funfacts and they are to be used for entertainment purposes only.
  • Producer Peter Jackson had planned to do a movie base off the popular video game "Halo" (Microsoft). Microsoft sold the script to Universal for $10 million. Peter Jackson asked Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) to direct the movie, but he was involved with Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008) at the time. Jackson then turned to first time director Neill Blomkamp, but the Halo project didn't fall through due to financial reasons. Neill was born in South Africa and always wanted to film a science fiction set in South Africa. In 2005, he directed a 6 minute sci-fi short film called "Alive in Joburg". Given a $30 million budget, "District 9" is a full feature film base on this. Halo (2012) is still an option for Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp.
  • Neill Blomkamp use to direct commercials for Nike and Gatorade.
  • Wikus is played by Sharlto Copley. He is a long time South African high school buddy of Neill Blomkamp. When Neil first learned 3D visual effects, he used the computers owned by Sharto's production company. Sharlto had a small role as a sniper in Blomkamp's Alive in Joburg (2005). He will star as Murdock in the upcoming movie "The A-Team" (2010).
  • Vanessa Haywood starred as Tania Van De Merwe, Wikus' wife. She once entered the Miss South Africa pageant and embarked on a career as a model. Unconfirmed and uncredited was her appearance in Leonardo DiCaprio's Blood Diamond (2006), which took place mainly in Sierra Leone but had some South Africa connections.
  • Blomkamp grew up in South Africa during the end of the apartheid era, and witnessed the social injustice of racism first hand.
  • Neill Blomkamp now resides in Vancouver, Canada ever since 1987.
  • At the age of 21, Blomkamp received an Emmy nomination for "Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Series - 2001" on an episode of the television series Dark Angel (Fox), starring Jessica Alba. He was beaten out by the folks that did the SFX for Star Trek: Voyager (UPN).
  • The digital special effects for District 9 were done by the company Weta Digital. It was founded in 1993 to produce the SFX for Peter Jackson's "Heavenly Creatures" (1994). They are located in Wellington, New Zealand and co-owned by Peter Jackson.
  • Blomkamp used motion capture to animate the CGI alien's movement realistically. Peter Jackson used the same technique in his creation of Smeagol in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
  • Xenophobia is defined as the fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign. Opposite of that is "xenophile", one attracted to foreign things.
  • Contrary to popular belief, the derogatory word "prawn" used in the film to describe the aliens is not of the oceanic bottom-feeding crustaceans (crabs, lobsters, shrimp, and prawns), but rather refers to the Libanasidus Vittatus (sp.) from the Anostostomatidae family, or commonly known as the "Parktown prawn", which is a species of cricket considered to be a plague in South Africa.

• The Anostostomatidae family (of which the Parktown Prawn is a member of) is as old as by fossil evidence of these crickets dating back to the late Triassic period, more than 200 million years ago. No doubt many smaller insect eating dinosaurs found a tasty treat in an Anostostomatidae cricket.
  • The phrase "come the raw prawn" is an Australian saying meaning to deceive someone or to pretend that you have no knowledge of what someone is talking about.
  • When shooting "Alive in Joburg", Blomkamp had asked the interviewees about their thought on the immigration of Zimbabwean refugees to Johannesburg. Blomkamp then edited the interviews to make it seem like they were talking about extraterrestrial aliens. Blomkamp used the same come the raw prawn style in a lot of the interview scenes in "District 9".
  • Afrikaans is the primary language of over 5 million South Africans. It is derived from the Dutch language and originated with the Dutch settlers who came to South Africa in the 15th Century.
  • Apartheid (Afrikaans for "apartness" or "separateness") is defined as a former policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination against non-European groups in the Republic of South Africa.
  • "We Are the World" was a 1985 song written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie and performed by the USA for Africa group to aid famine relief in Africa. "Sun City" was a 1985 song by Artists United Against Apartheid - was "a song about change not charity, freedom not famine" in South Africa.
  • District 9 is historically in reference to "District Six", formerly a residential area in Cape Town, South Africa, infamous for the expulsion of over 60,000 residents in the 1970s by the South Africa's apartheid regime. In 1966, District Six was declared a whites-only area and the eviction of the district's inhabitants ensued two years later. The government has stated that the action was necessary because the area was an irreparable slum, riddled with crime, and race relations were fraught with insurmountable conflict. It has been speculated that the District Six expulsions were really driven by the high land value, prime location near the city center, harbor, and Table Mountain.
  • Director Neill Blomkamp never intended to do a film on South Africa's Apartheid past with District 9. However, current social civil unrest involving Nigerian and Zimbabwean refugees living in the slums competing with local South Africans for jobs, resources, and land added to the realism of the prawns being discriminated against by the humans in the film.
  • MNU was to serve the eviction notices to the prawns in District 9 and have them sign form "I-27" before they are to be officially relocated. USDA VS Form I-27 is issued by the port veterinarian to keep record of any livestock in transportation.
  • South Africa and Australia are the two finalists for the $20 billion Square Kilometer Array (SKA) project to be scheduled to begin for construction in 2013. SKA is a 1 square kilometer radio telescope farm funded as a global collaboration of 19 countries in our understanding of the Universe by providing answers to fundamental questions about its origin and evolution. It is expected to be in full operation in the year 2022. Perhaps by that time we can see what's going on in the Andromeda Galaxy, which according to co-writer and director Neill Blomkamp is the prawns' home place.
  • Unaware by most westerners is South Africa's military strength and commitment to technology research. South Africa was involved in nuclear weapons in the 1970s and is the only African country to have successfully developed nuclear weapons. In 1991, South Africa became the first country (followed by Ukraine) with nuclear capability to voluntarily renounce and dismantle its program and in the process signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. As conveyed by the director of "District 9", South Africa is full of former mercenary militants, nuclear bunkers, and chemical and biological research facilities.
  • The Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons was signed on July 1st, 1968 and became effective March 5th, 1970 to limit the spread (proliferation) of nuclear weapons. Nearly all nations of the world have signed and/or agreed to abide by it. India, Israel, Taiwan, and Pakistan are the only other countries not to sign. Taiwan agreed to the terms but not signed. North Korea withdrew their signature as a participant in 2003.
  • One theory proposed by MNU to explain the prawn's seemingly less intelligent appearance, not having the skill to organize and be productive, and having crude and archaic nature, is this is not their ship. A more advanced class, biologically close kin, was the owner and the prawns were their captives on their way back from a raid and the ship ran into some problems. Another theory is the "queen" died, and like insectoids they are, lost the skills as a collective all together.
  • The practice of killing a human in order to use the body parts for medicinal concoctions is called a "muti murder". Muti, or witch-doctory magic, in South Africa means traditional medicine. Ritual muti killings sometimes involves consuming or using somebody's cut off body parts. For example. you can cut off somebody's hand and bury it under the front doorstep of your store. And that would promote people to buy more using their hand to get money out of their pocket. One of Obesandjo's Nigerian gang membered said, "It [the alien's heart] cures high blood pressure when you boil it. It cures diabetes, all diseases." The Nigerians were consuming alien body parts. They believe that by doing so, they were ingesting their power to use alien weaponry.
  • A muti ritual is much like voodoo here in the western hemisphere. Also cannibalism and human sacrifice are not foreign to the Americas. In the 15th and 16th centuries, the Toltec, Aztec, and Mayans consumed or sacrificed body parts for religious, economic, military, and other reasons. Early cannibalistic rituals simply and plainly were done by mean as he!! people who swore their happiness by killing an enemy and afterward, for vengeance, to eat his flesh… there is no other meat they like better nor finer. Heck, we had Hannibal Lecter running around here in the 1980s and early 90s.
  • The idea for the alien's cat food addiction and its exploitation by Obesandjo's Nigerian gang came from Blomkamp's own experience. He had seen South African residents in poor areas selling cheesy puffs as if they were a delicacy.
  • The aliens (Newcomers) in the movie "Alien Nation" (1988) and the "Alien Nation" TV Series (Fox, 22 eps., 1989-1990) got drunk by downing some spoiled milk. Among their diet was the delicacy of a raw beaver. The aliens in the "V" TV Mini-Series (NBC, 1983) would occasionally swallow a whole live rat in single gulp. Barney's no alien, but a regular man who enjoys the same taste with the wife in a delicacy of a raw beaver (... or some roast beef, fur burgers, hairy tacos, bearded clams, etcetera) on occasions...

BARNEY'S BOOMOO RATING FOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE
Overall Home Theater Experience
Movie: Stupid So-So [ Spectacular ]
Video *
Audio **
Subtitle Legibility ***

VIDEO SUB-CATEGORY
Picture Clarity and Sharpness
Color Richness and Saturation
Picture Detail and Definition
Lighting
Blackness Level

AUDIO SUB-CATEGORY
Dialog Clarity
Balanced Volume
Detail, Integrity, Resolution, and Definition
Dynamics (Bass, Treble, Separation, and Transition)
Ambient Background Music and Soundtrack
Low Frequency Effects

* 1080p/24fps OFF.
** DRC: Off | Bitstream to Onkyo 805 | Reference Listening Volume : 55.0 db (abs)| Late Nite Mode: Off | Re-EQ: Off | 7.2 Surround Sound Setup
*** White text with thin black borders.

BD-P1400 TECHNICAL
Video Problem: No
Audio Problem: No
Load Problem: No
Main Menu or Popup Menu GUI Intensity Rating: Simple [ Moderate ] Complex
Total Loading Time: BDP-1400: 4 min 14 sec | PS3: 1 min 27 sec | BD35: 3 min 36 sec
Networked: BDP-1400: No | PS3: Yes | BD35: Yes
BD-Live Enabled: BDP-1400: N/A | PS3: Yes | BD35: Yes
FW: BDP-1400: 2.1 | PS3: 3.15 | BD35: 2.1

DISC FEATURES, BONUS MATERIALS, AND PACKAGE CONTENT WORTH NOTING

Annoying Menu Button Sound or Option Yes, option to turn Off or On menu sound by going the main menu, speaker icon. Audible only in stereo or PCM mode.
Secondary Audio Yes, Commentary with Director/Co-Writer Neill Blomkamp
Skip Previews "Shortcut" No
Resume Play No
Bookmark Yes
Human or Alien Load During load, you can choose the alien or human icon. I'm not sure what this is beside the icon for the menu is the same as your selection.
cinechat BD-Live 2.0 Player Required
Joburg from Above: Satellite and Schematics of the World of District 9 Interactive Map
Deleted Scenes
The Alien Agenda: A Filmmaker's Log
Metamorphosis: The Transformation of Wikus
Innovation: The Acting and Improvisation of District 9
Conception and Design: Creating the World of District 9
Alien Generation: The Visual Effects of District 9
movieIQ Sony's Online Database about the movie. BD-Live 2.0 player required.
Disc #2 Digital Copy (DVD)
Easter Eggs None

WHADABOUT THE MOVIE BARNEY?
Boomoo Rent-O-Meter:
Boomoo Collection Worthiness: (Blockbuster.com Rental)

Barney's Comment on the Movie
District 9 is a surprisingly unexpected hit. When I first saw it theaters, I was kinda on fence with the movie. It was something "different". Now that I have seen it several times, it has changed my perspective of the film and made me appreciate it even more. They (Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp) didn't really know how it was going to turn out when District 9 was released in theaters. The story was base on a Blomkamp's own short film, unknown cast, filming location, and a limited budget, all of which can be a recipe for disaster. But as it would turn out, the story was great, the cast starring Sharlto Copley as the lead role was perfect- character development and improvisation to the script, and the limited budget actually forced the capture of the genuine South African human-to-alien apartheid theme. District 9 would not have worked if the budget was the size comparable to Avatar or had the cast of Ocean 13. The thing I liked most is the storyline. Blomkamp has several options where he can go with it. We don't really know the origin of the aliens. So a prequel can be in the works. I am also dying to see what happens next. A sequel in the 3 year return and the human race is getting ready to get our arses kicked, it's all wide opened. Can't wait... also don't forget about Halo (2012). It looks a little like Avatar and if Jackson and Blomkamp are teaming up to do it, yaw know it's gonna be good!

Barney Rating the Video
Because of the budget constraints, District 9 is presented in two styles. There is the news documentary style used by hand-held cameras and some scenes were recorded using regular film cameras. Both of which produced a remarkably entertaining combination. HD color richness and saturation are the only minor attributes lacking in an overall very good picture quality transfer. Only a few scenes not being sharp and image edges showed signs of video noises.

Barney Rating the Audio
I can't say enough wonderful things about the audio. All categories are praiseworthy, including the background scores. It kinda reminded of Spy Game and Black Hawk Down. Dialog was clear. Surround sound was active. Bass and LFE were at the right amount. Overall an excellent 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix.

Barney's Recommendations
Yaw should really check out District 9. I kinda regretted not getting it. But instead got duped in Megan's Body boomoo... cause somebody "highly recommended" in their review (I'm going to think twice the next time if it's coming from the same dude! ). I think the value of District 9 will go way up in the "Collection Worthiness" meter when the next movie is released. Probably get it then or if a sale happens to come along.

laddieluv cruelty to animal alert!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A pig (said to be dead, but I coulda swore it was squealing like Deliverance ) is thrust by the prawn's armored suit robot into the side of one of the slum's metal house near the end of the movie.

LL

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #12417 of 12886 Old 01-12-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4778 Post(s)
Liked: 2809
Is it just me or are your reviews getting longer and longer? Your review of District 9 was a lot better than most of the reviews I've read.

lujan
581 Ultra HD
722 HD
4 SD
post #12418 of 12886 Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Is it just me or are your reviews getting longer and longer? Your review of District 9 was a lot better than most of the reviews I've read.

it's just you.

Nah, it's a new year and the boomoo reviews will contain a lot more info/data. District 9 was kinda "different" since my fascination with South Africa and a lot funfacts were made available.

Also I will tell yaw about my dealings with GraceNote, the folks who did the movieIQ feature for Sony. Very nice group of folks.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #12419 of 12886 Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4778 Post(s)
Liked: 2809
Quote:

it's just you.

Nah, it's a new year and the boomoo reviews will contain a lot more info/data. District 9 was kinda "different" since my fascination with South Africa and a lot funfacts were made available.

Also I will tell yaw about my dealings with GraceNote, the folks who did the movieIQ feature for Sony. Very nice group of folks.

It's probably fine for a few people but the general reaction is, the longer the posting, the less likely people will read all of it.

lujan
581 Ultra HD
722 HD
4 SD
post #12420 of 12886 Old 01-12-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

District 9 was kinda "different" since my fascination with South Africa...

Your best review to date, Barney.

I still have my Sony Rewards "free" copy of District 9 sitting on the shelf---looks like I should watch this.

Well, Barney, any questions about South Africa just send them over and my wife will be glad to help you...born and raised in Johannesburg. She immigrated to the USofA in 1993...

BTW, the "Parktown Prawn" is no longer a "Plague" in South Africa thanks to this guy:

LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page