Originally Posted by tai4de2
Um... no. There are NO remaining issues with 24p from the xa2 and the a35 always did it right. This is not an HD DVD vs Blu-Ray thing, so let's not turn it into one... the issue is that the 1400 has more than its fair share of problems.
Agreed, but it's only really a workaround if your display does the IVTC from 1080i and then treats the resulting 24p frame stream as if it had been receiving 1080p/24 from the player. There are *very* few displays that do this (Pioneer Kuro among them)... otherwise, there is no effective workaround that gives us the 24p we paid for from this unit.
Though, I'm neutral
my point is that it's not just the BR units having problems. I wasn't making it a HD vs. BR thing, like I said, "I'm neutral" and enjoy both.
Some people here act like the 1400 is the only unit to have issues. Apparently, this must be a lot of peeps first Hi-def player to not be aware of issues across the board. It can be a rude awakening for some.
The A35 has not been so wonderful out of the box. Here is the bug list from the first page of the owners list. Not sure what the FW updates have corrected, but have been told the issues with 1080p/24 on SD-DVD's is still prominent. So many FW updates how can anyone keep up regardless of what unit you use.KNOWN ISSUES, BUGS AND SUCH
- Improper deinterlacing at 1080p60 for HD-DVD, and at 720p, 1080p60, 1080p24 for SDDVD upscaling
. . . Solutions: hoping it's not a hardware issue and that a firmware update will fix it in the near future.
- SD-DVD menus will not hilight, move, adjust, or generally work when the player is set to 1080p24. They do work if the player is set to another resolution. The HD-XA2 has the same problem . . .. Solution: hopefully a firmware fix, but otherwise have to switch resolutions for menus and then switch back to 1080p24 or 480i to then avoid the other deinterlacing bug listed above.
- Some disc playback errors: any dirty or scratched discs, Transformers, Top Gun . . . Solutions: light soap and warm water, firmware updates.
- Stuttering frames and then the 408bc504 error. . . Solutions: clean the disc (see above), power cycle, firmware updates.
- Audio sync issue after pause to TACP . . . Solution: do a chapter skip and then jump back to re-sync, power cycle, maybe firmware.
- [To Be Confirmed] Selecting "bitstream" on the SPDIF digital audio setting seems to affect the sampling of the frequency of the digial audio signal sent over HDMI by locking it at 48kHz instead of 96kHz. This problem existed on the G2 players, but not sure how many HD-DVDs it really affects that have audio output at 24bit/96kHz. . . Solution: unclear, maybe firmware.
- Audio dropouts playing DD+ tracks bitstreamed to a HDMI version 1.3 receiver, but seems to work if PCM is selected, indicating a problem sending the bitstream over HDMI. . . Solution: unclear, maybe firmware
Valid point on the 24p.
Time to baste the Turkey