Blu-Ray Player Load Times . . . . - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 73 Old 12-07-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut View Post

I have a Panny BD10 and it is faster than my Tosh XA-1, both are a bit slower than my Panny DVD recorder which also has some ramp up time, and all those are slower than my old Tosh first gen 480P player. In no case, has that ever spoiled my enjoyment of the HD movies.

I think it's the other way around now with the Java enhanced discs. My HD-XA1 will load almost all HD DVDs in around 60 seconds. I'll bet that Panny BD10 takes longer than 2 minutes for Java discs.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Manufacturer:
Model #: BDP-95, Pioneer Elite
FirmWare Version: 3.15
Power on to Drawer Open Time: Less than one minute
Drawer Close to First Image Time: Depends
First Image to Begin Movie Time: Depends

I have heard all these complaints, and, I have to say, most are unfounded. The Warner movies are faster than my standard DVD player. They start in less than 20 seconds and have no previews. Any movie without the elaborately animated menus are as fast as DVDs. However, the Disney movies with the elaborate menus are long to load. This has to do with processing the Java, but it certainly is not a problem for me. Some studios have previews that you have to chapter advance to skip and Disney has a ton of them plus the load times. So the Pixar movies take about 2.5 minutes to go from the last commercial to the start of the movie, but since those are family movies, it takes my family forever to get situated, so it is a non-issue. The other thing is that once the movie starts, the main menu does not stop the movie. You can axcess the movie and make changes without delay, unlike DVDs. The only thing that I wish the discs would do is have the lossless sound as the default, but since most people don't have setups that can play them, I understand why that is not the case.

Finally, for the quality of the sound and picture, I could care less about the load times. My Pioneer is incredible. The sound on Blu-rays through my receiver is much better that at the best movie theater in my city.
post #33 of 73 Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post

I understand what your saying. If I came across implying the Pioneer is NOT a good player, I apologize. The thread is about load times and I was just giving an example. I should not of said "why anyone would buy one is beyond me". I only meant that in terms of load times. But, you talk about trivial things, so isn't fan noise trivial? To each his own I guess. What bothers some people doesn't mean it bothers everyone.

Peace,

BLT

Fan noise to me is not trivial as it can impact on listening to the movie, at least the way my components are set up. To listen to a DTS-MA HD soundtrack and watching at 24p is reason enough to spend money on a Pioneer Elite. Load times are not an issue for me at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 73 Old 12-07-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Since I have to be ~ 1.5 - 2' away from my PS3 (in a quiet room) to hear the fan, and I dont watch movies with my nose against the display, the fan "noise" is not only trivial, its a total non issue. BTW, the PS3 also supports 24p playback. There are way too many posts about the DTS-MA, its been beaten to death, so no need to revisit that. Time will tell.
post #35 of 73 Old 12-11-2007, 10:33 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8976 Post(s)
Liked: 5755
I can hear my PS3 fan noise from 20 feet away. I can also hear my HDTiVo fans at that distance and the fan in my DLP.
But this is also without any ambient noise. I can't hear any of the fans when watching TV at normal volume levels.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #36 of 73 Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Liked: 10
Can anyone post the times for Pioneer BDP-95fd on any of the POTC ?
post #37 of 73 Old 12-12-2007, 01:02 PM

Liked: 12
Alternatively, how fast does a SD-DVD load on a Blu Ray player?

The Circuit City by work had POTC: COTBP playing - I took the disc out, turned it off, and went through the process. While I was waiting, three Circuit City clerks asked if I needed help - which, frankly, is three more people than normal when I go to Circuit City.

I have a feeling that if it took DVDs 2 minutes to load, everyone would be fine with Blu-Ray load times, but we're all spoiled by DVDs that show the first trailer/FBI warning within 5 seconds of putting the disc in. Also, would it really be so hard for the manufacturers to let you put the disc right when the BD player turns on? If it's going to take 2-3 minutes, let me go pee or grab something from the kitchen...
post #38 of 73 Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 PM

Manufacturer: Sony
Model #: BPD-S300
FirmWare Version: 3.3
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 0:52
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 0:32
First Image to Begin Movie Time: I did not time this because I believe this is variable depending on the specific disc and the number of previews programmed on it. Instead I did the following additional timings...

Time for Top Menu to load when Top Menu button is pressed: 1:12
Time for movie to play after Play Movie is selected: 1:25
Disk Title: Ratatouille - Blu-ray

I also timed it with an SD DVD-R disc from TVblink.com:

Model #: BPD-S300
FirmWare Version: 3.3
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 0:53
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 0:20
First Image to Begin Movie Time: n/a

Time for Top Menu to load when Top Menu button is pressed: 0:02 (The time to return to Top Menu after Play All had been selected.)
Time for movie to play after Play Movie is selected: 0:03
Disk Title: TVblink.com Benchmark DVD v1.7 (DVD-R)

When I watch some other movies I'll try timing them too to see if I get consistent numbers.
post #39 of 73 Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 AM

Those loading times are really not acceptable for me, generally you need to wait more then one minute before you can watch the movie. Hopefully there will be more powerful players that take care of this problem.

All the specs I need are in the current generation of players, trading in my dvd player and not having the luxury of starting a SD dvd in a couple of seconds anymore really puts me off..
post #40 of 73 Old 12-14-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelynx View Post

Can anyone post the times for Pioneer BDP-95fd on any of the POTC ?

I know when I had the 95 and timed the POTC (only 1&2) they took right around 90 seconds to load. Certainly faster than the 2-2.5 minutes required for all the Spidermans, Fantastic Four, Day After Tomorrow, and The Fly. Both Pirates movies on the Panny BD30 clock in at 45 seconds and 42 seconds.
post #41 of 73 Old 12-14-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denada View Post

Those loading times are really not acceptable for me, generally you need to wait more then one minute before you can watch the movie. Hopefully there will be more powerful players that take care of this problem.

All the specs I need are in the current generation of players, trading in my dvd player and not having the luxury of starting a SD dvd in a couple of seconds anymore really puts me off..

I plan ahead and try to save a few seconds here and there during my day (i.e. 5 seconds less time brushing my teeth, tying my shoe laces extra fast, putting the transporter into turbo boost mode so that it only takes me 10 seconds to materialize at work instead of the usual 15, etc.) and then I'm not so far behind when I have to wait 1.5 minutes or so to watch a movie. My evenings are usually more relaxed then, and I'm not so much under a time crunch to get tucked into bed.

Spending an hour and half (more sometimes!) watching a movie in 1080p high-definition on a big screen TV is worth it to me more than gaining 90 seconds and watching one in SD .
post #42 of 73 Old 12-14-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo5 View Post

I plan ahead and try to save a few seconds here and there during my day (i.e. 5 seconds less time brushing my teeth, tying my shoe laces extra fast, putting the transporter into turbo boost mode so that it only takes me 10 seconds to materialize at work instead of the usual 15, etc.) and then I'm not so far behind when I have to wait 1.5 minutes or so to watch a movie. My evenings are usually more relaxed then, and I'm not so much under a time crunch to get tucked into bed.

Spending an hour and half (more sometimes!) watching a movie in 1080p high-definition on a big screen TV is worth it to me more than gaining 90 seconds and watching one in SD .

LoL good point there, guess we are just spoiled with the dvd loading times now, but still, who wants to go back to waiting for the movie to starts? Guess these Pioneers and Panasonics will figure something out for 2008..
post #43 of 73 Old 12-15-2007, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Someone asked me about my BD-P1000 behavior with Ratatouille in the main BD-P1000 thread -- here is what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Dropped Ratatouille in the drawer and it took about 30 seconds to get to the loading delay announcement screen, and another roughly 15 seconds to start the programming. No sweat !

The timing measurement started with the close drawer button push.

I think that answers the OP's specific question. My measurement with PotC:CotBP was about 50 seconds to the rotating Doubloon and another roughly 60 seconds to the Disney Banner. Personally, given the negative comments I've run across regarding the BD-P1000 loading speed -- I really don't see the problem (I own two of the players.) I'm suspecting it's just popular to put down the BD-P1000.
post #44 of 73 Old 12-15-2007, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

I think that answers the OP's specific question. My measurement with PotC:CotBP was about 50 seconds to the rotating Doubloon and another roughly 60 seconds to the Disney Banner. Personally, given the negative comments I've run across regarding the BD-P1000 loading speed -- I really don't see the problem (I own two of the players.) I'm suspecting it's just popular to put down the BD-P1000.

Thanks for your input. The whole purpose of this thread was to put the load times in perspective and allow potential buyers to make an informed decision based on this issue, if important to them. Obviously some owners and potential buyers don't care, while others find it important. Some owners find it necessary to defend their already purchased units or favorite brands and that's to be expected.

To beat up on any particular brand or model was never the intent of this thread. There are certainly other parameters to be considered. To me, slow load times are an irritant not the end-all. The bottom line is that all BD (and HD DVD) players are slower to load than DVDs and some disks are slower than others.

I own a Sony BDP-S300 and after a rather rocky startup, it seems stable with good PQ and SQ (after 3 FW upgrades). It is slow to load (one of the slowest) but I've gotten used to it over time. If I had it to do over again, would I have purchased this player? I probably would wait for more improvements in functionality down the road. IMO, Disney needs to re-think their infatuation with BD-J.

OP, Snuffy

Snuffy
post #45 of 73 Old 12-15-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denada View Post

LoL good point there, guess we are just spoiled with the dvd loading times now, but still, who wants to go back to waiting for the movie to starts? Guess these Pioneers and Panasonics will figure something out for 2008..

I see your point, too . CD ROMs and DVD burners can now read data 48x, 16x speed, etc. over original 1st gen drives, so hopefully it won't take Blu-ray too long to develop the same.
post #46 of 73 Old 12-16-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy101 View Post

Thanks for your input. The whole purpose of this thread was to put the load times in perspective and allow potential buyers to make an informed decision based on this issue, if important to them. Obviously some owners and potential buyers don't care, while others find it important. Some owners find it necessary to defend their already purchased units or favorite brands and that's to be expected.

To beat up on any particular brand or model was never the intent of this thread. There are certainly other parameters to be considered. To me, slow load times are an irritant not the end-all. The bottom line is that all BD (and HD DVD) players are slower to load than DVDs and some disks are slower than others.

I own a Sony BDP-S300 and after a rather rocky startup, it seems stable with good PQ and SQ (after 3 FW upgrades). It is slow to load (one of the slowest) but I've gotten used to it over time. If I had it to do over again, would I have purchased this player? I probably would wait for more improvements in functionality down the road. IMO, Disney needs to re-think their infatuation with BD-J.

OP, Snuffy

I have two players because I found them at good prices (used) and I've two setups that benefit from them. My intention is to enjoy them at least long enough to allow prices on fully featured models (BD-ROM Profile 2.0) to become VERY reasonable. I've no idea how long that might take, but I'm currently satisfied and so there's really no rush !
post #47 of 73 Old 12-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy101 View Post

I've seen lots of complaints about the load times for the various BD players currently available, relating to just about every brand and model. Picture and Audio quality seem less important when it takes several minutes to get to the actual content of the disk. Can it be that the Blu-Ray technology is inherently slow or is it the fault of the manufacturers of the players or the disks, I'd like to know? I think that most users would agree, some BDs take longer than others to load. Disney titles with their extensive Blu-Ray Java (BD-J) implementations are often mentioned as VERY SLOW. I would suggest the Disney title, "Ratatouille" as a benchmark for BD-J intensive BDs.

I'd like to get some data on load times for various players to allow me and others to analyze the current products and make informed decisions on whether to purchase or not and which one/s to buy. If I could get actual owners to post their experienced load times, I think we would all benefit. Just saying a player is slow or fast means nothing unless the times are noted.

Please post your reports in the following format:

Manufacturer:
Model #:
FirmWare Version:
Power on to Drawer Open Time:
Drawer Close to First Image Time:
First Image to Begin Movie Time:
Disk Title:

I don't want to get caught up in the format war and do not favor Blu-Ray over HD DVD or vice versa. I believe both formats have good and bad characteristics. This thread just happens to be about comparing the available Blu-Ray players against each other.

I think all bd players how very slow load times.
post #48 of 73 Old 12-16-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbert16 View Post

How fast does "Pirates of the Caribbean" load on your HD DVD?

Snuffy
post #49 of 73 Old 12-17-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbert16 View Post

Well, you obviously have never seen the PS3.
post #50 of 73 Old 12-17-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by papi4baby View Post

I believe the issue is on the manufacturers side, since the PS3 i really have no load time issues.
On a side note, and not to diss on HDDVD, but i believe they have similar issue with load times, it just everything about new technology is more complex. As time passes we will have HW that's more powerful and quicker. Remember Blu Ray has really been around for what a year and half? To the public that is.

Correct.
The HW platform still requires improvements and fine tuning.

Both Blu-ray and HD DVD have some slow loading issues that need to be worked out.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940999

As far as load times, my BD30 does seem a bit quicker than my BD-P1200 espeacailly on Disney titles.

Out of all my Blu-ray discs, Warner titles load lightning fast compared to other studio titles.

post #51 of 73 Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Correct.
The HW platform still requires improvements and fine tuning.

Both Blu-ray and HD DVD have some slow loading issues that need to be worked out.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940999

As far as load times, my BD30 does seem a bit quicker than my BD-P1200 espeacailly on Disney titles.

Out of all my Blu-ray discs, Warner titles load lightning fast compared to other studio titles.

That's because most of their releases are Java-lite. I'm curious how fast T3 will load.
post #52 of 73 Old 12-17-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Model #: PS3
FirmWare Version: 2.01
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 8-15 seconds
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 10-18 seconds
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 25-40 seconds
Disk Title: POTC: DMC / FF4-2

Blu-ray : 340
post #53 of 73 Old 12-17-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My PS3 loads and plays through Blu-rays very quickly, however as I have been discussing in another thread, Disney is going overboard with unneeded menus and required promo views. It's really becoming annoying. There needs to be some sort of "skip the crap" function to get us past all of the movie bloatware in their releases.

I might also note, there has been a lot of discussion about HD-DVD players and long load times recently. Much of that is due to me. I have been posting lots of questions about load times of various HD-DVD players because I plan on purchasing one soon. I didn't write the posts as an attack on HD-DVD, but rather in reference to questions as to why I should purchase an A3 over an A2 when the A2 loads faster than the A3 by several seconds, and has a confirmed better optical audio output (I have to use optical). I get the feeling that some of these blu-ray load time threads are a form of reciprocity due to my discussions in the HD-DVD areas. Especially suspect are the reports from others I've read around the web stating that their Samsung player of the same model loads/runs the stated movies just fine (although not quickly).

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #54 of 73 Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I did the same test as Apollo with Ratatouille:

Here are my results:
Manufacturer: Panasonic
Model #: DMP-BD10A
FirmWare Version: 2.4
Power on to Drawer Open Time*: 0:16
Drawer Close to First Image Time*: 0:38
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 0:20 (first preview)
Time for Top Menu to load when Top Menu button is pressed: 0:20
Time for movie to play after Play Movie is selected: 0:35
Disk Title: Ratatouille - Blu-ray

*Note: drawer times are from button press, not from actual tray open or close so include several seconds of transport mechanism time

-AndyW
post #55 of 73 Old 12-17-2007, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
And another like RegGuheert did with POTC: COTBP:

Here are my results:
FirmWare Version: 2.4
Power on to Drawer Open Time*: 0:16
Drawer Close to First Image Time*: 0:43
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 0:22 (first preview)
Time for movie to play after Play Movie is selected: 0:04
Disk Title: POTC: COTBP - Blu-ray

*Note: drawer times are from button press, not from actual tray open or close so include several seconds of transport mechanism time

-AndyW
post #56 of 73 Old 12-19-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Looks like the DMP-BD10A holds its own pretty well compared to the Sony (non-PS3) and Pioneer models. I just bought the BD10A at CC, and overall I'm very pleased with it. It may actually replace a BDP-94HD I have been using for the last 5 months. The Pioneer's picture is gorgeous, but real world usage is just painful. My fiance is getting tired of waiting 2+ minutes to watch a movie.

I used a quick test that assesses how fast a player can power up and load a BD (non-Java). With a disc already in the unit, power it off. Then power it on and wait for the first image. My results:

Manufacturer: Pioneer
Model #: BDP-94HD
Firmware Version: 2.0
Power on to first image, disc already loaded: 1min 25sec.
Disc Title: Blade Runner Final Cut

Firmware Version: unknown
Power on to first image, disc already loaded: 38 sec.
Disc Title: Blade Runner Final Cut

Displays: Sony VPL-HW40ES | 110" SI Motorized Slate screen | Pioneer PRO-150FD
Sources: Sony BDP-S5000ES | Dune HD Smart D1 | Roku HD | LG LST-3410A HD-DVR
Speakers: Nearfield Pipedreams 18 (L,R,Sub1,Sub2), Pipedreams 15 (C)
| Magnepan MC-1 (WL, WR, SL, SR, SBL, SBR)
Audio: Denon AVR-4311CI | Bryston 6B-SST | Bryston 14B-SST
Control: Control4 home automation
post #57 of 73 Old 12-19-2007, 11:07 PM

I have that same disc .

Model #: BDP-S300
Firmware Version: 3.3
Power on to first image, disc already loaded: 1:05
Disc Title: Blade Runner: The Final Cut (BD)
post #58 of 73 Old 12-20-2007, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I own the Pioneer BDV-95 and it is painfully slow loading. Not only that once it loads the previews it some times takes an additional long time to load the movie. I am goint to dump it as soon as a faster Elite is out (got to match my receiver)
I work for BBY & have tried at least a dozen DVD players & this is the slowest loading in the universe. Not only that you can see layer changes.
post #59 of 73 Old 12-20-2007, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccusboy View Post

My PS3 loads and plays through Blu-rays very quickly, however as I have been discussing in another thread, Disney is going overboard with unneeded menus and required promo views. It's really becoming annoying. There needs to be some sort of "skip the crap" function to get us past all of the movie bloatware in their releases.

I might also note, there has been a lot of discussion about HD-DVD players and long load times recently. Much of that is due to me. I have been posting lots of questions about load times of various HD-DVD players because I plan on purchasing one soon. I didn't write the posts as an attack on HD-DVD, but rather in reference to questions as to why I should purchase an A3 over an A2 when the A2 loads faster than the A3 by several seconds, and has a confirmed better optical audio output (I have to use optical). I get the feeling that some of these blu-ray load time threads are a form of reciprocity due to my discussions in the HD-DVD areas. Especially suspect are the reports from others I've read around the web stating that their Samsung player of the same model loads/runs the stated movies just fine (although not quickly).

I own two A2 and one HDV5000 HD DVD players -- one of the A2's being a backup player (lives in the box.) The reason I got an A2 as a backup player is simply the conversion of HD DVD advanced CODEC's to DTS surround via optical output. I also own two BD-P1000 players purchased used and both currently installed in my two setups.

I'm not clear what you mean by these sentences "I get the feeling that some of these blu-ray load time threads are a form of reciprocity due to my discussions in the HD-DVD areas. Especially suspect are the reports from others I've read around the web stating that their Samsung player of the same model loads/runs the stated movies just fine (although not quickly)."

Despite popular repute, my BD-P1000 players perform "just fine", although I would hardy describe them as speedy -- likewise my HD DVD players. The nice thing about the BD-P1000 is that it's relatively quick to open the drawer, this helps tremendously in the world of initial impressions ! In any case, I like all my players.

What are you trying to say?
post #60 of 73 Old 12-20-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I can hear my PS3 fan noise from 20 feet away. I can also hear my HDTiVo fans at that distance and the fan in my DLP.
But this is also without any ambient noise. I can't hear any of the fans when watching TV at normal volume levels.

I 100% agree and it my biggest gripe about people and the PS3 fan noise. Unless you sit next to the thing, have it boxed in where there is no airflow, have a bad fan (it has happened) or you have supersonic hearing once the movie, tv show, or other noise kicks in the PS3 isn't really THAT audible. I can hear my TV fan, Tivo fan more than my PS3 fan, and I'm 12ft away.

As for PS3 load times: As other posters measured the times. It really is fast. But I also note that I perceive the load times as dependent on how fast as I can scroll the (XMB) menu bar, hit play, and then skip past the BR commercials and previews. Picture load times are superfast as I never feel like I'm sitting around waiting for the movies to load. And while some find it painful to watch the Disney load screens, call me masochistic, but on my PS3 I look forward to the spinning coin/key since it only last a matter of seconds and it's cool to watch. Now if I had to stare at it for 1-2 minutes I might not think so kindly of it.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page