Blu-Ray Player Load Times . . . . - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 73 Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are my load times for my BDP-S300 with the latest FW 3.7, a slight (18 sec.) improvement.

Manufacturer: Sony
Model #: BDP-S300
FirmWare Version: 3.7
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 58 sec.
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 1 min. 47 sec. [was 2:05] (incl. Java loading)
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 50 sec. (skipping previews etc.)
Disk Title: POTC COTBP

Snuffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 12-22-2007, 02:07 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8847 Post(s)
Liked: 5634
Crap with those load times I guess i have no choice but to keep my PS3 for now.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #63 of 73 Old 12-22-2007, 04:06 PM

I just upgraded the firmware to 3.7 and re-tested. There didn't seem to be significant differences in loading times with Blade Runner: Final Cut. However, for Ratatouille there were some improvements, most notably how long it takes to movie to start after pressing play.

Model #: BPD-S300
FirmWare Version: 3.7 (was 3.3)
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 0:54
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 0:42 (was 0:32)
Time for Top Menu to load when Top Menu button is pressed: 1:18 (was 1:12)
Time for movie to play after Play Movie is selected: 0:49 (was 1:25)
Disk Title: Ratatouille - Blu-ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 73 Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

From the input on this thread, I conclude the following;

1. All Blu-Ray stand-alone players are slow to load compared to SD DVD players.
2. PS3 load times are the fastest and have a loyal following, but the game machine has other issues, unusual profile, incompatibility with IR universal remotes and fan noise.
3. Load times are very slow with Java (BD-J) intensive titles, primarily the Disney/Pixar titles.
4. Some owners do not mind the slow load times.
5. BD players, seem no slower than HD-DVD players, except for BD-J "crippled" disks.
6. There is a lack of communication between the player manufacturers and BD providers. The need for FW updates to allow new titles to work is an example.
7. There is a limit to the amount of improvement in load times gained by player FW updates.

Snuffy
post #65 of 73 Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy101 View Post

From the input on this thread, I conclude the following;

15. BD players, seem no slower than HD-DVD players.

Bad conclusion. I have had 2 HD DVD players, the SLOW HD-A1 and it only took 60 seconds to load and play and the HD-A35 and it takes 45 seconds to load and play the latest and greatest movies (Transformers, Shrek III). I have never experienced 2 minute load times on any of the 53 movies I have.

The S300 seems to be MUCH worse with BD-J movies.

I still think the Panasonic B30 is the blu player to buy.
post #66 of 73 Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 314
My Toshiba HD-A3 takes about 10-15 seconds for the drawer to open and about the same ( additional 10-25 seconds )for the disc's splash screen to start. It does eject in about 2-3 seconds fortunately.

I don't consider that too bad. Of course, when you are used almost instant times with the old DVD it can seem like a long time.

post #67 of 73 Old 01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
I think BD-J is the problem here. iHD or HDi or whatever it is seems to be faster. If only the best attributes of these formats could be combined ....
post #68 of 73 Old 07-17-2008, 05:15 PM

It does take the Elite and some other players a while to load some discs from time to time depending on the disc. However, I sit waiting in traffic approximately 30 minutes per day. I frequently have to wait in line for several minutes at the grocery store, the bank, the gas station (sometimes it even takes 5 minutes to fill up my gas tank). I often have to wait for my wife and kids, or my dog, to do something before I can undertake my next task or get going somewhere. Accordingly, waiting 2 minutes for a DVD to load vs. 30 seconds means nothing to me in the scheme of things.

Man, we sure obsess about some pretty trivial stuff, IMO. Does anyone search out gas stations that pump a full tank in 3 minutes vs. 5 minutes? [/quote]

I think saying people are being harsh is a little strong. I have been doing custom home theater installs for 6 yrs and Cedia Certified. I try to understand how my clients may feel. Clients are not asking for the Bluray to load faster than dvds. They are asking for them to load as fast. 30sec verses 2 minutes doesn't seem like much other than it takes 4 times as long. What if pumping gas took 20 min verses 5 min. What if sitting in drive thru took 20 min verses 5 min. what if everything took quadruple the time. Considering our days are not getting longer than 24hrs. Also considering the 1 thing in life that you can never get back is time. We are only here for so long. By Christmas we will have a $199 player available and will probably be faster then Players purchased for over $399 previously. I personally don't mind load times and would deal with it, but I service a large customer base and I can understand why some people could have problems with loads times. I use the PS3 and don't have to worry about load times anyway except when I am installing them.
post #69 of 73 Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by llegg5 View Post

It does take the Elite and some other players a while to load some discs from time to time depending on the disc. However, I sit waiting in traffic approximately 30 minutes per day. I frequently have to wait in line for several minutes at the grocery store, the bank, the gas station (sometimes it even takes 5 minutes to fill up my gas tank). I often have to wait for my wife and kids, or my dog, to do something before I can undertake my next task or get going somewhere. Accordingly, waiting 2 minutes for a DVD to load vs. 30 seconds means nothing to me in the scheme of things.

Man, we sure obsess about some pretty trivial stuff, IMO. Does anyone search out gas stations that pump a full tank in 3 minutes vs. 5 minutes?

Quote:
I think saying people are being harsh is a little strong. I have been doing custom home theater installs for 6 yrs and Cedia Certified. I try to understand how my clients may feel. Clients are not asking for the Bluray to load faster than dvds. They are asking for them to load as fast. 30sec verses 2 minutes doesn't seem like much other than it takes 4 times as long. What if pumping gas took 20 min verses 5 min. What if sitting in drive thru took 20 min verses 5 min. what if everything took quadruple the time. Considering our days are not getting longer than 24hrs. Also considering the 1 thing in life that you can never get back is time. We are only here for so long. By Christmas we will have a $199 player available and will probably be faster then Players purchased for over $399 previously. I personally don't mind load times and would deal with it, but I service a large customer base and I can understand why some people could have problems with loads times. I use the PS3 and don't have to worry about load times anyway except when I am installing them.

"llegg5"

And that was your first post on this forum?! OMG! You think the whining about the load times is bad, wait until you really get involved with this forum. Look, this forum is basically, "Geek-Central"! The average AVSForum poster needs this as a platform/medium to grip about things no one else in the real world really cares about! If you stay with the forum long enough, you will read and experience arguments, b*tches, gripes, complaints, disagreements, discontent, arrogance, know-it-all, assumption, presumption, can't-be-wrong, etc,.... And you being a CEDIA certified installer, man, you are in for some surprises! You will be blown away but what some of us posters submit as fact and "know how!"

Hopefully you will learn something new on the positive side and maybe teach someone something they didn't know that could benefit them in some form or fashion.

BTW, Welcome to AVSForum.com!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur

Ldgibson76

Current Ensemble 
post #70 of 73 Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have to say that my Blu ray player, the often maligned Samsung BD-P1200, load times from power on to tray opening is a consistent 13 seconds!
And that's without the latest firmware update. Now, when it comes to actually loading the player with a bluray movie and arriving to the introduction, the movies tested are as follows:

The Golden Compass....... 28 seconds
Spiderman 3.................. 28 seconds
Troy............................. 25 seconds
National Treasure 2-BOS.. 30 seconds
POTC-AWE..................... 30 seconds
Blade Runner................. 22 seconds
Crimson Tide................. 25 seconds
Jumper......................... 28 seconds

I actually have another 40 movies I could have tested and listed. And I'm sure they would have similar load times.
So in my experience thus far, on average, for my Samsung BD-P1200, it usually takes about 35-45 seconds for a blu ray movie from power on to load and start.

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur

Ldgibson76

Current Ensemble 
post #71 of 73 Old 07-19-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegGuheert View Post

Manufacturer: Samsung
Model #: BD-P1400
FirmWare Version: 070913.02_XAA
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 21 sec
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 60 sec to coin
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 56 to first trailer
Disk Title: POTC: COTBP

Here is a link to a previous post including more BD-P1400 times:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12293685

Reg

Manufacturer: Samsung
Model #: BD-P1500
FirmWare Version: 1.0
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 6 sec
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 25 sec to disney logo
First Image to Begin Movie Time: didn't take the time

The one I just retired:

Model #: BDP-S300
FirmWare Version: 3.60
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 56 sec
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 1min 20 se to disney logo
First Image to Begin Movie Time: didn't take time
post #72 of 73 Old 11-15-2008, 08:16 PM

Has anyone gone from the Sony s300 to the 550? I'm considering this move and would like to know what kind of performance I'll gain at power on and load up.

How about moving from the 300 to any other profile 2.0 player? Thanks for any input in this busy shopping season!
post #73 of 73 Old 12-13-2008, 08:07 AM

Hi All,

Are there any BD Players planned with completely new chipsets which are much faster than the panasonic uniphiers used in most of the current players?

I cant wait to get a BD Player with the loadtimes and responsiveness of a good DVD Player. That meas even a lot faster than the ps3.
I mean - it should be possible to develop a very good asic chip that has such a BD performance. THATS what I expect of a HighEnd BD player!
I am actually very disappointed of all the HighEnd BD Players currently on the marked which have a very good build quality but the same "old" and slow chipsets as all the cheaper players.

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page