Blu-Ray Player Load Times . . . . - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 73 Old 12-05-2007, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen lots of complaints about the load times for the various BD players currently available, relating to just about every brand and model. Picture and Audio quality seem less important when it takes several minutes to get to the actual content of the disk. Can it be that the Blu-Ray technology is inherently slow or is it the fault of the manufacturers of the players or the disks, I'd like to know? I think that most users would agree, some BDs take longer than others to load. Disney titles with their extensive Blu-Ray Java (BD-J) implementations are often mentioned as VERY SLOW. I would suggest the Disney title, "Ratatouille" as a benchmark for BD-J intensive BDs.

I'd like to get some data on load times for various players to allow me and others to analyze the current products and make informed decisions on whether to purchase or not and which one/s to buy. If I could get actual owners to post their experienced load times, I think we would all benefit. Just saying a player is slow or fast means nothing unless the times are noted.

Please post your reports in the following format:

Manufacturer:
Model #:
FirmWare Version:
Power on to Drawer Open Time:
Drawer Close to First Image Time:
First Image to Begin Movie Time:
Disk Title:

I don't want to get caught up in the format war and do not favor Blu-Ray over HD DVD or vice versa. I believe both formats have good and bad characteristics. This thread just happens to be about comparing the available Blu-Ray players against each other.

Snuffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 12-05-2007, 10:22 AM

We are not talking hours here, but 10-120secs max load times. You can not wait that long?

My samsung1200 takes almost the same time as my sony dvd player, too load dvds, but it all depends, (samsungbd-p1200) some dvd' load fast, 5 sec, some a little longer 10 secs, for BD some are 'fast' like Rescue Me (10 sec or less), the longest so far has been LFoDH & that was like 90 secs.
post #3 of 73 Old 12-05-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Load time varies from title to title. If you want meaningful responses to compare players, you need to specify a particular title.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 Old 12-05-2007, 10:32 AM

I gave away my S300 because it was too slow. I bought the BD30 instead it it is night and day. No complaints at all about load times.
post #5 of 73 Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Manufacturer: Sony
Model #: The Playstation 3
FirmWare Version: 2.01
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 10-15 secs
Drawer Close to First Image Time: less than 30 secs
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 30-60 secs
Disk Title: 300*
* Most titles times are about the same

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #6 of 73 Old 12-05-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy101 View Post

Can it be that the Blu-Ray technology is inherently slow or is it the fault of the manufacturers of the players or the disks, I’d like to know?

It's basically how fast the player can process all the images that need to be preloaded before a movie starts. This is an area that we are now focused on optimizing. Some solutions now use hardware acceleration to speed things up.
post #7 of 73 Old 12-05-2007, 12:59 PM

I believe the issue is on the manufacturers side, since the PS3 i really have no load time issues.
On a side note, and not to diss on HDDVD, but i believe they have similar issue with load times, it just everything about new technology is more complex. As time passes we will have HW that's more powerful and quicker. Remember Blu Ray has really been around for what a year and half? To the public that is.

Blu ray.
post #8 of 73 Old 12-05-2007, 01:11 PM

I loaded a few movies into the Pioneer Elite BD Player at a couple of stores. It is so slow. It honestly took almost 4 minutes to load a movie like Ratatoullie!!! Ratatoullie loads in seconds on my PS3. How anyone would pay that kind of money for that player is beyond me! The fastest load times I've seen is the PS3!!!
post #9 of 73 Old 12-05-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post

I loaded a few movies into the Pioneer Elite BD Player at a couple of stores. It is so slow. It honestly took almost 4 minutes to load a movie like Ratatoullie!!! Ratatoullie loads in seconds on my PS3. How anyone would pay that kind of money for that player is beyond me! The fastest load times I've seen is the PS3!!!

The Elite is a great player. Among other things, it provides a great picture, it does not have a noisy fan, and it works with my universal remote. There a many, many people on this forum who like them a great deal. And some of us have 0.0 interest in the PS3.

It does take the Elite and some other players a while to load some discs from time to time depending on the disc. However, I sit waiting in traffic approximately 30 minutes per day. I frequently have to wait in line for several minutes at the grocery store, the bank, the gas station (sometimes it even takes 5 minutes to fill up my gas tank). I often have to wait for my wife and kids, or my dog, to do something before I can undertake my next task or get going somewhere. Accordingly, waiting 2 minutes for a DVD to load vs. 30 seconds means nothing to me in the scheme of things.

Man, we sure obsess about some pretty trivial stuff, IMO. Does anyone search out gas stations that pump a full tank in 3 minutes vs. 5 minutes?
post #10 of 73 Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

Thank you eddy_winds for answering the specific question. Now if others would only follow your example we would have the data we need.
post #11 of 73 Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Manufacturer: Panasonic
Model #: DMP-BD30
FirmWare Version: 1.3
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 20 secs
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 25-26 secs
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 1min 30-31s
Disk Title: 300

I don't see how the previous poster's assessment of "first image to begin movie time" can be correct, considering there is ~1:30 worth of video dedicated to the intro screens (copy warning, rating information, studio intro, etc) on 300.

Warner's 300 is really not one of the "intensive" titles where you will see a lot of difference between players. You'll see much more difference between players on BD-Java titles like Ratatouille. I would suggest you edit your first post -- or create a new thread -- to ask members about the load times for that particular title.
post #12 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post

It does take the Elite and some other players a while to load some discs from time to time depending on the disc. However, I sit waiting in traffic approximately 30 minutes per day. I frequently have to wait in line for several minutes at the grocery store, the bank, the gas station (sometimes it even takes 5 minutes to fill up my gas tank). I often have to wait for my wife and kids, or my dog, to do something before I can undertake my next task or get going somewhere. Accordingly, waiting 2 minutes for a DVD to load vs. 30 seconds means nothing to me in the scheme of things.

Man, we sure obsess about some pretty trivial stuff, IMO. Does anyone search out gas stations that pump a full tank in 3 minutes vs. 5 minutes?

I've really never understood this excuse... Because you experience less than optimal performance in some areas of your life, you'll happily accept less than optimal in all aspects? If my wife was a terrible cook and I went out to a nice restaurant and paid a premium for a good meal. If the meal is horrible, I wouldn't find it acceptable simply because, "I eat terrible meals every night."

And you've never driven across the street to a gas station that was slightly more expensive simply because they didn't have a line of cars and the cheaper station did?
post #13 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I guess I will never understand the startup and load time issue with HDM. It is sort of like worrying about whether the starter in your car has to turn the engine over one two or three times when you are about to embark on a one hundred mile trip.

I have a Panny BD10 and it is faster than my Tosh XA-1, both are a bit slower than my Panny DVD recorder which also has some ramp up time, and all those are slower than my old Tosh first gen 480P player. In no case, has that ever spoiled my enjoyment of the HD movies.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #14 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess I'm a dreamer, but I ask, why the player manufacturers and BD providers couldn't have an optional feature to bypass all the extra BD-J stuff and go directly to the movie with simple text based menus? While all the fancy/smancy graphics, animations and games are okay, they eat up tons of processor time and disk space. I buy DVDs and BDs to watch the movie, not to witness the work of over zealous graphics designers and programmers. Does anybody actually think Liars Dice was a good idea?

Snuffy
post #15 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
One could say that either the spec's fell short for the formats by not specifying certain useability requirements, or the hardware manufacturers were/are asleep at the wheel and dont understand what consumers expect and didnt bother to do any consumer clinics/market testing and dont have a clue as to what really annoys people to the point of maybe losing a customer for life to to failures like this.

Can you imagine buying a microwave which takes 30 seconds-2 minutes to start cooking after hitting the start button!

Clearly both formats failed to meet consumer expectations and my guess is that neither format specified mandatory requirements because the hardware community cried: "It going to be too expensive for us to meet mandatory requirements of under 10 seconds from power on to playback............."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack View Post

It's basically how fast the player can process all the images that need to be preloaded before a movie starts. This is an area that we are now focused on optimizing. Some solutions now use hardware acceleration to speed things up.

post #16 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
This hopefully will improve very quickly with newer generations of hardware?
post #17 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

Man, we sure obsess about some pretty trivial stuff, IMO.

Yes we do, but to each his own. For me, the BT remote, the very insignificant fan noise are trivial things. The PS3 does so many things so well, those are a non issue (for me). I'm a big Pioneer fan (have a 50" Pio Plasma and a Pio receiver), and am sure the Elite BD player is nice as well.
post #18 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ley View Post

I've really never understood this excuse... Because you experience less than optimal performance in some areas of your life, you'll happily accept less than optimal in all aspects? If my wife was a terrible cook and I went out to a nice restaurant and paid a premium for a good meal. If the meal is horrible, I wouldn't find it acceptable simply because, "I eat terrible meals every night."

And you've never driven across the street to a gas station that was slightly more expensive simply because they didn't have a line of cars and the cheaper station did?

Very good point.

First off let me say I am in NO WAY a fanboy of PS3. I tried everything in my power not to support the PS3. I'm a MS guy, so I am pulling for the XBOX as far as a gaming system. So, I spent hours upon hours looking for a great blu Ray player since gaming wasn't a huge priority to me. I looked at all BD players and after all the research I've done, the PS3 was the logical choice. I'm so glad I bought it. All I'm saying is this. Why spend 1,000.00 on a BD player that takes forever to load a movie? To me it's unacceptable simply because you can buy a PS3 for under 500.00 and have virtually NO load times. I have zero fan noise with my PS3 so that is NOT an issue. If Im going to spend a thousand dollars on a BD player, it better outperform a cheaper player by leaps and bounds, and unfortunately that simply isn't the case when comparing it to the PS3. Now, if the Pioneer player outperformed the PS3 and was a huge step above the ps3 with options, well then I would probably deal with the long load times.

And remember, this thread is about BD player load times.....
post #19 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Model #: BDP-S300
FirmWare Version: 3.3
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 58 sec.
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 35 sec.
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 15 sec.
Disk Title: 2001 A Space Odyssey

Model #: BDP-S300
FirmWare Version: 3.3
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 58 sec.
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 2 min. 5 sec. (incl. Java loading)
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 50 sec. (skipping previews etc.)
Disk Title: POTC COTBP

Snuffy
post #20 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My point was that the load times for me (and some others) are not that critical. They are at worst a very minor inconvenience that is outweighed to a great extent by other factors. And I was responding to a post in which someone opined that they could not believe "anyone" would buy the Elite due to the slow load times. So I was overstating my rebuttal to some extent to make a point.

To put it another way and to use your terms, every player has "less than optimal" performance in some areas, but, IMO, sub-optimal performance in load times is not critical. I understand it may be important to others, though, which is why I would not say that I can't beleive "anyone" would buy a PS3 given the fan noise some have experienced and the remote issue.

Regarding the "terrible cook" analogy, I don't think it really fits, because if the Elite, for example, was a piece of krap, I wouldn't defend it. But an extra minute of load time does not bother me given the other advantages of the player to me, anymore than the fact that my wife likes her chicken cooked a little more than I do is a reason to divorce her and marry someone else. Now I suppose if load times are the critical factor for someone, then they should buy the player with the best load times.

Furthermore, the extent to which one is able to develop patience in other areas of life does impact how one might view certain inconveniences. All I'm saying is that most of us spend a substantial amount of time waiting around, and waiting around for 1 minute does not seem a big deal to me in the scheme of things. Of course, if two players are equal in all respects, then I would also pick the one with the shorter load times. But no players are perfect, so I guess this discussion just comes down to what type of "less than optimal" performance is more aggravating to you.
post #21 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:

My point was that the load times for me (and some others) are not that critical. They are at worst a very minor inconvenience that is outweighed to a great extent by other factors. And I was responding to a post in which someone opined that they could not believe "anyone" would buy the Elite due to the slow load times. So I was overstating my rebuttal to some extent to make a point.

To put it another way and to use your terms, every player has "less than optimal" performance in some areas, but, IMO, sub-optimal performance in load times is not critical. I understand it may be important to others, though, which is why I would not say that I can't beleive "anyone" would buy a PS3 given the fan noise some have experienced and the remote issue.

Regarding the "terrible cook" analogy, I don't think it really fits, because if the Elite, for example, was a piece of krap, I wouldn't defend it. But an extra minute of load time does not bother me given the other advantages of the player to me, anymore than the fact that my wife likes her chicken cooked a little more than I do is a reason to divorce her and marry someone else. Now I suppose if load times are the critical factor for someone, then they should buy the player with the best load times.

Furthermore, the extent to which one is able to develop patience in other areas of life does impact how one might view certain inconveniences. All I'm saying is that most of us spend a substantial amount of time waiting around, and waiting around for 1 minute does not seem a big deal to me in the scheme of things. Of course, if two players are equal in all respects, then I would also pick the one with the shorter load times. But no players are perfect, so I guess this discussion just comes down to what type of "less than optimal" performance is more aggravating to you.

I understand what your saying. If I came across implying the Pioneer is NOT a good player, I apologize. The thread is about load times and I was just giving an example. I should not of said "why anyone would buy one is beyond me". I only meant that in terms of load times. But, you talk about trivial things, so isn't fan noise trivial? To each his own I guess. What bothers some people doesn't mean it bothers everyone.

Peace,

BLT
post #22 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Manufacturer: Samsung
Model #: BD-P1400
FirmWare Version: 070913.02_XAA
Power on to Drawer Open Time: 21 sec
Drawer Close to First Image Time: 29 sec
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 0 sec
Disk Title: Invincible

Drawer Close to First Image Time: 60 sec to coin
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 56 to first trailer
Disk Title: POTC: COTBP

Here is a link to a previous post including more BD-P1400 times:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12293685

Reg
post #23 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post

I understand what your saying. If I came across implying the Pioneer is NOT a good player, I apologize.

As the esteemed Governor of my state would say: "No problema."
post #24 of 73 Old 12-06-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

Or Playstation 3: Fast as a mother.

post #25 of 73 Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegGuheert View Post

Drawer Close to First Image Time: 60 sec to coin
First Image to Begin Movie Time: 56 to first trailer
Disk Title: POTC: COTBP

Reg

You shouldn't stop timing at the coin, because the coin spinning means the player is still loading. I'm guessing the actual load time is the 60 seconds plus the 56 to the first trailer... Actual drawer close to first image- 1:56.
post #26 of 73 Old 12-07-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:

You're absolutely right. Different people have different requirements from what they purchase. Hell, I know there are people who will buy the Elite just because it physically matches their other Elite gear. For me, load times are a big issue because I tend to swap out discs a lot and sample stuff from lots of titles sometimes. Therefore, waiting 2+ minutes everytime I switched out discs would be annoying. In fact, when I did have the Pioneer 95 in my system, the wife and I watched Spiderman 3 and she got restless waiting for the disc to eventually load. When we went to watch another film a few nights later, she said, "Is this going to take forever again?" By that point I had switched out the Pioneer for the Panny, so the wait was no more.

However, for others, I understand that load times don't really bother them. But I think as more and more standalones get sold, load times are going to see more and more discussion.
post #27 of 73 Old 12-07-2007, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Slow load times are a problem.

Most of us here can deal with slow load times as long as the movie loads and the PQ is excellent.........herein lies the problem.....a friend of mine bought a Sony 301 from Costco six weeks ago and called me to say he returned it to the store. I asked why and this was his response. "the darn thing was so slow....took forever to load the movie!"

He is now looking into the latest Pioneer Elite player and hoping for faster load times.

Alot of people want things quickly and don't have the patience to wait.......
post #28 of 73 Old 12-07-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My Panny BD30 has the latest 1.2 firmware. From power on to "NO DISC", it is 20 seconds. Loading Spiderman 3 to the FBI warning screen is about 47 seconds. Prior to the firmware update, it was about 51 seconds. I just wish these would handle java better. It makes the navigation sluggish. The Descent's menu navigation is very sluggish with the BD30.
post #29 of 73 Old 12-07-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:

You shouldn't stop timing at the coin, because the coin spinning means the player is still loading. I'm guessing the actual load time is the 60 seconds plus the 56 to the first trailer... Actual drawer close to first image- 1:56.

You are correct. You will see that is how I timed things in my post that I linked.

However, OP also wanted to know "First Image to movie begin", which I think is completely useless, since the trailers might run 10 minutes and vary from disc to disc, thus either hiding or swamping out any real differences between players.

Bottom line is that time to first image is the only useful time.

Reg
post #30 of 73 Old 12-07-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

Slow load times are a problem.

Most of us here can deal with slow load times as long as the movie loads and the PQ is excellent.........herein lies the problem.....a friend of mine bought a Sony 301 from Costco six weeks ago and called me to say he returned it to the store. I asked why and this was his response. "the darn thing was so slow....took forever to load the movie!"

Alot of people want things quickly and don't have the patience to wait.......

That's exactly why I returned my Sony BDP-S301 to Costco. That and locking up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page