OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE - Page 597 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12515Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17881 of 20016 Old 03-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,040
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamelon View Post
Ah, you're right. I guess what I meant was they don't seem to have any new models. But your link shows more than what I was able to find when I looked. I must have had some filter on and didn't know. Nevermind, thanks!

The 270 should be released this month. Firmware upgrade is already available for it.


S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17882 of 20016 Old 03-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Member
 
chip387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 77
ive had sony, phillips, samsung, ps3, xbox360.
I bought an oppo 103d a few weeks ago,,,, Oh My... It is a lot of money, but if you want great picture, sound, streaming, it is worth it. the pic on bluray compared to ps3, yikes. i really didnt know what i was missing these years. now I dont do netflix or amazon but if you want a player the wont be out of date by next year. Oppo 103d. just got into sacd too, amazing. sorry, id recommend oppo over sony and samsung.

Chip

Great room:
Samsung 65h8000,denon x2000,Aperion verus forte LCR+bipole surr,Sony bdp s6500,Sub: PSA XS30se
Basement HT:
Epson 3700,Marantz sr7010,PSA MT110 LCR w/jbl surr/surr back,Pioneer vsx455, OSD MK670 Ceiling atmos,dual PSA xv15subs
chip387 is offline  
post #17883 of 20016 Old 03-05-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Oppo is the only player with HDMI IN that I know of. So looks like your decision has been made for you. Region free is going to cost $100 or so extra.

I realize the video processing of external sources is popular, but honestly, there's only so much you can do, and even that will come off artificial looking. I personally wouldn't waste any money on it. What I would do is get a decent BD player, keep your old player for the rare region free disc, and plug in a Roku, $200 tops for the whole nine yards. Otherwise you're looking at close to a grand for an Oppo and several mods and add-ons to do the same thing.
There is just so much you can do with a signal, but I do like what it does. I particularly like the Darbee effect, despite its light touch. It's a personal preference, but to me, well worth it at 600. I don't think it comes off as artificial, just my opinion.

To get a better video processor, you're looking at a lumagen in the 2-3K range.

Your suggestion is good if you want to stay at the status quo and add a decent bluray player and add a Roku. The combined amount you're spending there, though is about 300 - 350 when all is said and done, and he'd have to accomodate three boxes.

If as an alternative, you sell the Oppo DVD player which will still sell, then you forego the 350 and apply that to the 103D, you probably are spending 150 or 200 net difference. One box only to do all of that.

For region free DVD (not bluray) play, you can use the free Superdisk software which will work without a hardware mod. Either a Roku stick or Chromecast will cost you 35 to 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Of course. But do you really want to have to use your phone every time you stream something? I'd rather just press a button on the remote that's already in my hand. That's the main reason my Chromecast has been in a drawer ever since I got it.
I actually am beginning to use it when I stream. Trying to use the remote to type out the name of a movie I'm searching for is uniquely painful. I'd rather fire up the netflix or VUDU app, use my cell phone to search for the title, then cast it to my Oppo. Much easier. I have a Logitech One, but find typing much easier on a phone or tablet (or PC apparently with the Chromecast).
hernanu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17884 of 20016 Old 03-05-2015, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 6,242
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 98
When are the new Panasonic players coming out? Thanks.
Jim McC is offline  
post #17885 of 20016 Old 03-05-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Lindahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Blu-Ray Player with metadata Art-enabled DLNA?

So my Denon AVR's DLNA player is actually pretty damn good with the iPhone Denon app. It shows album/artist art, and it can even browse my movie collection and show the poster art for all my movies. It's fast, and easy to navigate too. Win!

The only catch is, it won't play videos. If only it had video codecs in it to play movies, and a Netflix app, I wouldn't need a streaming device at all.

So, my question is...

Is there a Blu-Ray player out there that has a DLNA player that shows metadata art?

I really like Samsung's GUI of starting up the DLNA player, but it doesn't show metadata art, and trying to seek (they call it 'jump') through a video file causes major lip sync issues. Did they even test the damn thing? You gotta be kidding me!

It's also a tad bit slow to load large libraries - the GUI locks up until the entire folder loads. This is nearly deal killer for me.

I also find it obnoxious that for most of these DLNA players, you navigate to a 'Video', 'Music' or 'Pictures' option, and then you have to browse a 'Video', 'Music' or 'Pictures' DLNA folder. I just CHOSE 'Video', dummy! They really need a better software engineer writing this code.

Google search on the forums turned up nothing too helpful.
Lindahl is offline  
post #17886 of 20016 Old 03-06-2015, 06:43 AM
Senior Member
 
bustamelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I find DLNA to fall flat in a lot of areas. It's a nice idea but in practice it's sorely lacking, and depends so much on your network and all your devices. I have gone over whole hog to a NAS solution and I never looked back. I know this is an answer to a question you didn't really ask but I would strongly suggest putting your money into setting up a storage server, either using a commercial NAS product like Synology or QNap or even WD MyCloud, and then you can look for a player that supports SMB/NFS, or you can get a small appliance and put either Kodi or Plex or something on it to pull the streams. Of course that is a major investment but so worth it I think. I have a 5-disk Synology box where I keep all my video, music and photos, as well as any other files that I might want to access from different devices, and I have a low-end Intel NUC appliance running OpenElec. It does everything flawlessly, without any delays or fuss at all. It automatically grabs metadata, descriptions, and cover art just by looking at the file/folder names.

Anyway, I don't have enough knowledge to answer your actual question, but here's what I found:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...y-players.html

And, just for reference, maybe check the reviews on this list:
http://wwv.crutchfield.com/fg_279850...c-Players.html for details on DLNA performance

Google returns a LOT of Sony players, but I don't know if that's because Sony does DLNA well, or because they do it badly. Sometimes a lot of search results means a lot of issues!
bustamelon is offline  
post #17887 of 20016 Old 03-06-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Lindahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.

NAS is just a storage location. Sounds like you're recommending OpenELEC and a HTPC (NUC) for a source? I'd like to combine a BluRay player and streamer into one. It should have Netflix at the very least, too (ideally a rental service, like Vudu, also). Sounds like yours doesn't have BluRay? What about Netflix or Vudu?

If I wanted a separate source device from BluRay, I'd just get a Roku and call it done.

Last edited by Lindahl; 03-06-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Lindahl is offline  
post #17888 of 20016 Old 03-06-2015, 07:10 AM
Senior Member
 
bustamelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Well, that's my own setup. I'm just recommending SMB/NFS as an alternative to DLNA, however you do it. Some BR players support it. I know the Oppos do. In fact, the Oppo, even an older model, will do both DLNA and Samba very well, as well as Netflix and Vudu. And any PC can set up as a server with a little futzing. But there may be less expensive options too.

** Edit:
As others suggested to me just a few posts back, most blu ray players are limited in their streaming capability, and you have to get lucky to find one that does everything you want. A roku box or stick could be the answer.

Last edited by bustamelon; 03-06-2015 at 07:14 AM.
bustamelon is offline  
post #17889 of 20016 Old 03-06-2015, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
NAS is just a storage location. Sounds like you're recommending OpenELEC and a HTPC for a source? I'd like to combine a BluRay player and streamer into one. It should have Netflix at the very least, too (ideally a rental service, like Vudu, also). Sounds like yours doesn't have BluRay? What about Netflix or Vudu?

If I wanted a separate source device from BluRay, I'd just get a Roku and call it done.
It is a storage location, but most NAS implementations come with DLNA servers.

If you're looking for the best solution, I'd say look at the Oppos if the money (5-600 for the basic, 1200 for the enhanced analog output version). is ok for you.

The Oppos (I have the original 83 and the 103D) have been doing DLNA for a while, first as pull clients (only access DLNA through the client in the player), but the 10X models also act as DLNA renderers, so you can push content to it without using the onscreen interface.

So an application like JRiver can allow selection of what you want to play and push to the Oppo for processing and display; control can be done on a tablet, phone or PC. It also can access SMB volumes on PCs or a NAS (it's how I play everything on my NAS).

It's been reported by some that the latest update also allows NFS access, I haven't seen / tried that yet.

They also have many other features, but their DLNA implementation is very good.

I have plenty of MKV movie files that play well, it has some good streaming apps (Netflix, VUDU) which it applies its internal video processing to, some good sound apps (Pandora, etc.) but is missing Amazon. The streaming on it is handled very well.
bustamelon likes this.

Last edited by hernanu; 03-06-2015 at 07:15 AM.
hernanu is offline  
post #17890 of 20016 Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Member
 
spectre08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Related to the above discussion. Are there any blu ray players that have Plex?

I have a NAS and the biggest quality of use change I ever made was switching from DLNA to Plex and never looking back.
spectre08 is offline  
post #17891 of 20016 Old 03-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Senior Member
 
bustamelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post
Related to the above discussion. Are there any blu ray players that have Plex?

I have a NAS and the biggest quality of use change I ever made was switching from DLNA to Plex and never looking back.
I know they exist, just not sure which ones. A google search seems to bring up a lot of Samsung results. And the Plex website shows Samsung and LG in the peppering of partner logos at the bottom of the page.... but that may be smart TVs only.

Last edited by bustamelon; 03-06-2015 at 11:58 AM.
bustamelon is offline  
post #17892 of 20016 Old 03-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
J-D-H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Internal cleaning sometimes helps. Dust and bits of fluff can become attached to the lasers and cause trouble.

-Bill
I did not take the machine apart to use an air can, etc., but I did use a good cleaning disk -- no effect. Since we use the player a lot, I have the feeling that the blue laser system (or the laser itself) may be reaching end of life.
J-D-H is offline  
post #17893 of 20016 Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,549
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post
Related to the above discussion. Are there any blu ray players that have Plex?

I have a NAS and the biggest quality of use change I ever made was switching from DLNA to Plex and never looking back.
I had the opposite experience with Plex. It seems to transcode everything, whether it needs it or not. Serviio, OTOH, would stream native, resulting in much higher quality. In my experience, Plex is great for streaming to phones and tablets, but to other devices, not so much. Plex also eats up a lot of CPU cycles with all that transcoding, pushing some of my servers to their limit, especially when I'm trying to stream 6 channels of MPEG2 live TV at the same time. No thanks.
mdavej is offline  
post #17894 of 20016 Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Lindahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I had the opposite experience with Plex. It seems to transcode everything, whether it needs it or not. Serviio, OTOH, would stream native, resulting in much higher quality. In my experience, Plex is great for streaming to phones and tablets, but to other devices, not so much. Plex also eats up a lot of CPU cycles with all that transcoding, pushing some of my servers to their limit, especially when I'm trying to stream 6 channels of MPEG2 live TV at the same time. No thanks.

Yeah, Plex really needs a 'disable transcoding' option - you can use a low power NAS though to forcefully disable transcoding. Serviio has that option as a preference though. However, Its metadata DLNA implementation compared to Plex's DLNA implementation is pretty bad though. It can't even pull the genre or title out of the metadata, much less the artwork.

The more expensive Samsung players have the 'Samsung SmartHub' feature that has a PLEX app you can add. I plan on checking this out shortly. I don't think LG has anythig just yet. Vizio TVs have a PLEX app. Too bad they don't make BluRay players, still.

Last edited by Lindahl; 03-06-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Lindahl is offline  
post #17895 of 20016 Old 03-06-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,549
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
Yeah, DLNA leaves a lot to be desired in the artwork/meta-data department. MB3 looks pretty good on a Roku. Still pretty buggy though. I have to admit, I don't use DLNA at all anymore either or any streaming of any kind on my BD players. The apps are out of date by the time I get the box open.

It is a shame Vizio stopped making BD players.
mdavej is offline  
post #17896 of 20016 Old 03-06-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Lindahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Yeah, DLNA leaves a lot to be desired in the artwork/meta-data department. MB3 looks pretty good on a Roku. Still pretty buggy though. I have to admit, I don't use DLNA at all anymore either or any streaming of any kind on my BD players. The apps are out of date by the time I get the box open.

It is a shame Vizio stopped making BD players.

After playing around with quite a few devices, I've found it has less to do with DLNA itself. The problem lies truly in half-assed implementations of it. Take partial implementations from various devices, put them together into one, tighten up the quality, and you'd have a damn good system.

As a professional software engineer in the space industry, give me access to source code and development tools for these devices and I could write bulletproof DLNA implementations that could mirror Plex (or better it). The problem is motivation. Given the small DLNA userbase, the manufacturers don't have any incentive to put any real effort into a good implementation. 'Good enough' (or 'bad enough'?) ticks the feature list box that customers are looking for.
bustamelon likes this.

Last edited by Lindahl; 03-06-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Lindahl is offline  
post #17897 of 20016 Old 03-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello guys Need a Blu-Ray driver\player

Im new and confused where to ask, so I hope is right to write here, can't wrote in Top Thread, need 5 posts, I dont have it Im new and need help please...

I need an Blu-Ray driver\player recomendtion from a list of 3 to compare:
3 from the compare list- ?can't post the compare link, why?

to watch Blu-Ray disks in PC.

LG WH16NS40 (Cheaper Cost) - does this Blu-Ray driver is "retail" and sure come with a helpful software?

or the Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray (Medium Cost) better option to select?

or maybe the (High Cost) Driver, he come with softwares, are him better?
driver's name: Asus BW-16D1HT 16X Blu-Ray

- I need watch the movies, I dont see me burn\make a Blu-Ray disk anytime soon, again, need the Blu-Ray to watch the movies good and clear.
if you need the movies name's just tell.

Thanks you so much for help with this friends.
TripleTripe is offline  
post #17898 of 20016 Old 03-07-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,549
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTripe View Post
Im new and confused where to ask, so I hope is right to write here, can't wrote in Top Thread, need 5 posts, I dont have it Im new and need help please...

I need an Blu-Ray driver\player recomendtion from a list of 3 to compare:
3 from the compare list- ?can't post the compare link, why?

to watch Blu-Ray disks in PC.

LG WH16NS40 (Cheaper Cost) - does this Blu-Ray driver is "retail" and sure come with a helpful software?

or the Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray (Medium Cost) better option to select?

or maybe the (High Cost) Driver, he come with softwares, are him better?
driver's name: Asus BW-16D1HT 16X Blu-Ray

- I need watch the movies, I dont see me burn\make a Blu-Ray disk anytime soon, again, need the Blu-Ray to watch the movies good and clear.
if you need the movies name's just tell.

Thanks you so much for help with this friends.
Try the Home Theater Computers forum. This thread is about blu-ray players, not drives/software.
mdavej is offline  
post #17899 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alex solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I am looking for a Bu-ray player with excellent up-scaling feature and a direct access/stream from a PC WITHOUT the use of DLNA. I need Youtube and Netflex apps with a reliable wireless streaming performance as well. I currently have a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 which does all of these quite well but the YouTube support on this device is ending in April 2015, forcing me to look for a replacement. Any recommendation? Thank you.

I forgot to mention that MKV file format support is a must and MP4 support is a welcome addition.
And I am looking for a player priced under $200 MSRP.

Last edited by Alex solomon; 03-08-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Alex solomon is offline  
post #17900 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post
I am looking for a Bu-ray player with excellent up-scaling feature and a direct access/stream from a PC WITHOUT the use of DLNA. I need Youtube and Netflex apps with a reliable wireless streaming performance as well. I currently have a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 which does all of these quite well but the YouTube support on this device is ending in April 2015, forcing me to look for a replacement. Any recommendation? Thank you.

I forgot to mention that MKV file format support is a must and MP4 support is a welcome addition.
All of your requirements point to needing an Oppo. Their BDP103 is about $500.
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #17901 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alex solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
All of your requirements point to needing an Oppo. Their BDP103 is about $500.
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/
I should have mentioned that I am looking for a player priced under $200 MSRP.
Alex solomon is offline  
post #17902 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post
I should have mentioned that I am looking for a player priced under $200 MSRP.
Then you're out of luck.

Not all of those features are available in a given player in that price range. You'll have to prioritize your requirements and carefully read the specs for the players in your price range to determine which best match what you want. The Sony BDP S6200 probably will come closest: it has better streaming support than Panasonic has. Support for NAS (other than DLNA) isn't available in current "mainstream" models other than Oppo, so you'll have to use HDMI to connect a computer (or HTPC) directly to your AVR or display.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #17903 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post
I am looking for a Bu-ray player with excellent up-scaling feature and a direct access/stream from a PC WITHOUT the use of DLNA. I need Youtube and Netflex apps with a reliable wireless streaming performance as well. I currently have a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 which does all of these quite well but the YouTube support on this device is ending in April 2015, forcing me to look for a replacement. Any recommendation? Thank you.
SMB / NFS access is the difficult thing (access without DLNA). Sony, LG don't offer it (LG did before). Your choices here would be Panasonic, where it's designated as the "Network Drive access" and Oppo.

The Panasonic only plays mkv for video files, mp3 for music files and JPEC, MPO for picture files; the Oppo supports all files on network file (SMB) access. The 230, I guess is the latest model and it still has that support.

The Oppo is rock solid (it's how I access all files on my NAS) and handles all sorts of files. You'd have to check the 230 thread to see its reliability, etc. If you're happy with the way your current one is, then check that out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
All of your requirements point to needing an Oppo. Their BDP103 is about $500.
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/
The 103D is rock solid on all of this, along with many other features. Selden's recommendation gets you full support without worry; the 230 may be good enough, if mkv support is good. As Selden mentions, streaming support reportedly is not necessarily the best with Panasonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post
I forgot to mention that MKV file format support is a must and MP4 support is a welcome addition.
And I am looking for a player priced under $200 MSRP.
MP4 may or may not be supported in the 230, MKV is just the container, so... ? It is on the Oppo.

If you're happy with your current setup, then the 230 may be the thing for you. It comes in at 100; it lacks the features of the Oppo, but if it fits you, then that's what you want.
hernanu is offline  
post #17904 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alex solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Then you're out of luck.

Not all of those features are available in a given player in that price range. You'll have to prioritize your requirements and carefully read the specs for the players in your price range to determine which best match what you want. The Sony BDP S6200 probably will come closest: it has better streaming support than Panasonic has. Support for NAS (other than DLNA) isn't available in current "mainstream" models other than Oppo, so you'll have to use HDMI to connect a computer (or HTPC) directly to your AVR or display.
Not really, Oppo is not the only game in town. In my initial post, I have indicated that my cheap $100 Panasonic Blu-ray does all that in spades except for MP4 support, which is nice to have but not required. Panasonic has a feature that is called "network drive connection" that allows you to access your media files stored on your hard drive directly. No DLNA client required. But it also does have that you want it but the network drive connection is just awesome for playing all my mkv files. Does support FF and REW too. If it wasn't for the YouTube app being disconnected, I would not be looking for a new player.

Here is how to set the "network drive connection", in case anyone is interested.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/...ork_drive.html
Alex solomon is offline  
post #17905 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alex solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
SMB / NFS access is the difficult thing (access without DLNA). Sony, LG don't offer it (LG did before). Your choices here would be Panasonic, where it's designated as the "Network Drive access" and Oppo.

The Panasonic only plays mkv for video files, mp3 for music files and JPEC, MPO for picture files; the Oppo supports all files on network file (SMB) access. The 230, I guess is the latest model and it still has that support.

The Oppo is rock solid (it's how I access all files on my NAS) and handles all sorts of files. You'd have to check the 230 thread to see its reliability, etc. If you're happy with the way your current one is, then check that out.


The 103D is rock solid on all of this, along with many other features. Selden's recommendation gets you full support without worry; the 230 may be good enough, if mkv support is good. As Selden mentions, streaming support reportedly is not necessarily the best with Panasonic.



MP4 may or may not be supported in the 230, MKV is just the container, so... ? It is on the Oppo.

If you're happy with your current setup, then the 230 may be the thing for you. It comes in at 100; it lacks the features of the Oppo, but if it fits you, then that's what you want.
You just beat me to it. The YouTube app is also gone on the 230 by the way so I was looking at the newer 360 and 460 but reviews stated that new chip is on NOT par with previous models, cheaper chip and performance it not what it used to be because of it. This is my bedroom player so I don't see the need to spend mega bucks. I have also heard LG player do have a function that allows connection to a PC via LAN, similar to the Panasonic but I need a confirmation on that and I have no idea whether LG players are excellent performers and have rock solid reliability like the Panny.

I have the PS3 in my main HT, and I still consider it a reference blu ray player/streamer. I also have the Sony S570 solid blu-ray player but not a great streamer.

Last edited by Alex solomon; 03-08-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Alex solomon is offline  
post #17906 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post
Not really, Oppo is not the only game in town. In my initial post, I have indicated that my cheap $100 Panasonic Blu-ray does all that in spades except for MP4 support, which is nice to have but not required. Panasonic has a feature that is called "network drive connection" that allows you to access your media files stored on your hard drive directly. No DLNA client required. But it also does have that you want it but the network drive connection is just awesome for playing all my mkv files. Does support FF and REW too. If it wasn't for the YouTube app being disconnected, I would not be looking for a new player.

Here is how to set the "network drive connection", in case anyone is interested.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/...ork_drive.html
It does depend on the files you are or will be interested in.

I am currently play FLAC audio files via SMB on my 103, I have AIFF, MKV, MOV (home video), DSF/DSD (high quality audio), JPEG, quicktime, Video_TS, MP4, the list goes on.

Again, the supported files on the Panasonic are a small subset as compared to the Oppo, but if it works for you and that's all you'll need, the 230 is probably the way to go.
hernanu is offline  
post #17907 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post
You just beat me to it. The YouTube app is also gone on the 230 by the way so I was looking at the newer 360 and 460 but reviews stated that new chip is on NOT par with previous models, cheaper chip and performance it not what it used to be because of it. This is my bedroom player so I don't see the need to spend mega bucks. I have also heard LG player do have a function that allows connection to a PC via LAN, similar to the Panasonic but I need a confirmation on that and I have no idea whether LG players are excellent performers and have rock solid reliability like the Panny.

I have the PS3 in my main HT, and I still consider it a reference blu ray player/streamer. I also have the Sony S570 solid blu-ray player but not a great streamer.
If that's the use for it, then go for the Panasonic 230. I didn't check for the Youtube app, but your TV may have a good Youtube app, so that may handle it.

Earlier LG models had undocumented SMB access from what I've heard (please correct if wrong), but that functionality is not called out in the current models. As far as reliability, the best non-Oppo (the Oppo service is great) have reportedly been Sony and Panasonic. I got my daughter a Sony S590 and that has been a great streamer for her.
hernanu is offline  
post #17908 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,040
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
The 230 and 360 both use the Mediatek chipset. The last Panasonics to use the Uniphier chipset were the X20 line and the 500/700. Getting a 230 over a 360 would be a mistake. The 230 has issues with the seamless branching found on Disney discs. 270 should also hit the shelves this month.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #17909 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alex solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
If that's the use for it, then go for the Panasonic 230. I didn't check for the Youtube app, but your TV may have a good Youtube app, so that may handle it.

Earlier LG models had undocumented SMB access from what I've heard (please correct if wrong), but that functionality is not called out in the current models. As far as reliability, the best non-Oppo (the Oppo service is great) have reportedly been Sony and Panasonic. I got my daughter a Sony S590 and that has been a great streamer for her.
hernanu,

Thank you for your input, much appreciated. Seems like YouTube is still supported on the 230. Complete list here>>>> http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/...ect/na_la.html

Now need to find more info about the chips used on the Panasonic.
Alex solomon is offline  
post #17910 of 20016 Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alex solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
The 230 and 360 both use the Mediatek chipset. The last Panasonics to use the Uniphier chipset were the X20 line and the 500/700. Getting a 230 over a 360 would be a mistake. The 230 has issues with the seamless branching found on Disney discs. 270 should also hit the shelves this month.
teachsac,

so the Mediatek chipset in inferior to the Uniphier chipset ?
Alex solomon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
1080p , bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , dvd-a , flac , hdmi input , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , sacd , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off