OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE - Page 670 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12519Likes

post #20071 of 20088 Old 03-17-2020, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't know where to start

This maybe the wrong place to start but one has to dive in at some point or their feet will never get wet.

I have some 4k movies that I have come to the painful conclusion that will not work on any media players that are available on my computer. The hardware demands are just too great. So after pondering this and finding out that Blu-ray and or DVD players may have USB ports that this could offer a remedy to my predicament. I know that it will also require and upgrade to a ultra 4k TV or monitor. Unless I got with a Gaming style Desktop computer which seems like a tremendous amount of money to invest in because I have no desire to play games on a computer unless it was Flight Sim.

So how will this work. The Hardware has software built in that allows me to select a file of video to watch. If this question needs to go elsewhere I understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20072 of 20088 Old 03-17-2020, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4129 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
its kinda complicated. you cant just hook up a bluray player to pc...you got to rip the discs to a pc format.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-w...scs-windows-10

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #20073 of 20088 Old 03-18-2020, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 1
BD Player with Composite Output and Advanced Zoom?

While my Oppo BDP-95 has zoom control, it cannot move the zoomed image up and down and sideways on the screen, like my old JVC XV-NA70BK DVD player can.

The only currently produced BD player I know that has this particular zoom functionality is the Pioneer LX500 4K player. I’d jump on it in a heartbeat but I currently need a player with composite or s-video output…. (lol).

Are there any Blu Ray player models-NEW or USED-which have this movable zoom image control and composite and/or s-video outputs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20074 of 20088 Old 03-20-2020, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey all getting a new projector today and am debating 4K Players. I've watched a ton of videos and read a ton of reviews and still can't decide. Setup is Epson 5050ub, Marantz 7704, Revel F208 fronts, etc...Don't care about SACD or DVDA, this will just be used to play DVD, 4k, and normal blu-rays.

It seems like UB-420 is the right choice since everything I've read is its the same as the 820 for movies. Everything seem to just talk about video only, what about audio? Let me know what y'all think. Hoping to get a player today to use with the PJ. If not I'll use the xBox One S for the time being.

TIA
post #20075 of 20088 Old 03-20-2020, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJKUR View Post
It seems like UB-420 is the right choice since everything I've read is its the same as the 820 for movies.
Actually it's not. The 420 lacks Dolby Vision playback for movies and streaming.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #20076 of 20088 Old 03-24-2020, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Good afternoon everyone!

I'm looking for a player to use with my Samsung Plasma (1080P) TV. Doesn't need streaming (use an Apple TV for that), nor does it need 4k. I just want something that is reliable and gives good upscaling to DVD to BluRay.

The Sony BDP-S6700 gets good reviews but also seems to have longevity issues. Panasonic DP-UB420-K is priced well right now, and the LG BP-175 has a lot of great reviews on Best Buy and is very inexpensive.

What would you all recommend for a good player?

Thanks in advance,

-kb
post #20077 of 20088 Old 03-24-2020, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4k, Dolby Atmos, MKV player

Aloha,

I did a lots of research but can't find what I want in one device unless I go for devices with Kodi or android TV which I am not a fan of them, to make it short, here is what I have:

LG 4k TV (55uh625v - 2016 Model (NO Dolby Atmos support))
ONKYO HT-S7805 ( Supports Atmos)
Xbox One
Apple TV HD

Here is what I am looking for to have:

Netflix with dolby Dolby Atmos and 4k
play MKV files with Dolby Atmos and 4k.

I can have netflix with Dolby Atmos via xbox one but it is not 4k; I can play MKV via external H.D.D attached to my TV but it is no Dolby Atmos! (my Onyko is connected via ARC)

I searched a lot, for example with xbox one x I get it all but cant play mkv, with Sony, or Panasonic players, I can play mkv with 4k and Dolby atmos but then netflix is missing! so you see, I did lots of research and looked at lots of combinations but still could not find a conclusion!

My budget is around 400 or so, I would not mind to have two device to be able to achieve what I mentioned.

I hope I am clear, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
post #20078 of 20088 Old 03-26-2020, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi there,

I'm looking for a 4K Blu-Ray player with Dolby Vision that has the ability to adjust the subtitle luminance (and maybe shift the location of the subtitles on the screen). I've been looking at the Panasonic UB-820, and that's the only one I've found so far for $500 or less. I already have an Xbox One X, but the subtitles are huge and blinding in HDR, and it really bugs me. Plus the Xbox doesn't play Dolby Vision on discs. Are there any other affordable options that have those criteria besides the Panasonic UB-820?

Thanks!
post #20079 of 20088 Old 03-28-2020, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Anyone know if any Blu Ray players are/were made that have RCA (composite) inputs? I don't care about output, but I need to be able to convert 480p signals into HDMI. There are several DVD players in existence that offer this capability, but I was hoping to find a blu-ray player that would be able to do it so I can have fewer devices taking up space.
post #20080 of 20088 Old 03-29-2020, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpixelmaybe View Post
Anyone know if any Blu Ray players are/were made that have RCA (composite) inputs? I don't care about output, but I need to be able to convert 480p signals into HDMI. There are several DVD players in existence that offer this capability, but I was hoping to find a blu-ray player that would be able to do it so I can have fewer devices taking up space.

Not that I know of. BDPs feature by-design no analog components. Also: composite connections may be limited to 480i signals. The good news is that you can probably accomplish what you want with a basic splitter or piggyback cable/adapter.

A/VR: Sony STR-DE598; front: Polk Audio (1x RTi6 + 1x TSx220B)
subs: 1x JBL PSW-1200 + 1x BIC RtR RtR-12S
rear: 2x Klipsch Reference R-15M

monitor: LG 24EA53V-P (panel: LG Display AH-IPS)
display: Sony BRAVIA KDL-48W600B (panel: S-LCD S-PVA)
post #20081 of 20088 Old 03-29-2020, 06:56 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 9820 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpixelmaybe View Post
They removed analog video outputs from BD players years ago didn't they?
I can't even remember the last time a saw one with those ancient connections.
Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #20082 of 20088 Old 03-29-2020, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Sony BDP-S6700 vs Older Blu-Ray Players

Hi Guys,

First time posting here and I am looking for some advice from the excellent people in AVSForums.

I currently have the following setup:

Denon AVR-3311
Sony Bravia 40" 1080P TV (Please don't ask me to add the P/N... I keep forgetting and it's not in the easiest place to access) - Brought 2010
B&W 601S1 Installed Only i.e. no surround sound yet, as haven't got around to it.
Sony BDP-S6700 Blu-Ray Player
Denon DVD-3910 DVD Player (Yes I know, not the 3930...)
Amazon Fire Stick 4K

Question:

I want to get ride of the Sony BDP-S6700. It came with high recommendations from multiple web pages and the main reason I had it before, was it supported Amazon Video and Netflix along with Blu-Ray. The problem is that I hate it, I don't use it for streaming as the fire stick does a much better job of it, it doesn't support Disney+ which is needed for the kids. I find the picture randomly switches on and off mid film which seems to be something to do with the player as everything else works flawlessly and I have changed HDMI cables. On top of that, it's extremely slow to load anything, DLNA is hit or miss if it works properly, bluetooth has never worked for me and i am unable to screen mirror with a Google phone. I honestly have never worked out how so many people rated it so admirably. I also feel that the 3910 does a better job at playing DVDs

My thought was to get something a bit more sturdy just for Blu-Ray playing at Profile 1.1 i.e. no BD-Live. I don't currently have a 4K TV and don't feel it as a necessary at this moment, therefore I was thinking of getting an older Blu-Ray Player. Having searched a lot over the last few days, this brings me to the below models (Some are compromises, but mainly as a cost vs quality)

Models Considered:

OPPO-BDP83
Denon 2012UD
Pioneer LX71
Denon 2500BT
Denon 3800BT

I can't find any direct comparisons here on blu-ray capability, but would I be making the correct assumption that these players would give me a better picture on my 1080p TV than the Sony s6700?

Any other Recommendations are welcome. I am looking at ebay for second hand players and it should give you an idea of how much I want to spend. I am also an electronic engineer, so replacement of defective lasers / bad caps etc is of no issue for me.

Thanks in advance for reading my long winded question and any advice provided.
post #20083 of 20088 Old 03-29-2020, 02:53 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4762 Post(s)
Liked: 4679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankzer0 View Post
I can't find any direct comparisons here on blu-ray capability, but would I be making the correct assumption that these players would give me a better picture on my 1080p TV than the Sony s6700?
Welcome to AVSForum.

Our standard advice is that for Blu-ray playback all Blu-ray players are rather similar in the quality of images they produce. Not identical, but Blu-ray is much closer to being ready to display just as it is recorded on disc, as opposed to DVD which required more processing to get a good image.

Tuning up the TV will produced a much greater improvement than switching source devices. There are calibration discs for that.

-Bill
aaronwt likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #20084 of 20088 Old 04-02-2020, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
4k Bluray player for wall mounted TV

I have my TV mounted on the wall above our fireplace. We don't have a table or cabinet anywhere below it to place a bluray player in or on. The mantle has a think ledge, so not much room to set it there. In fact, my wife wouldn't have that. Are there any 4k bluray players that are thin and small enough to have mounted behind the TV? It would likely need to be able to be positioned on it's side so it could be flush with the back of the TV. Are there any like that which are mountable?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #20085 of 20088 Old 04-02-2020, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2686 Post(s)
Liked: 1923
I presume that you'd need slot loading. Tray loading would be unworkable with a player mounted vertically.

A Sony PlayStaion 4 plays UHD BluRay disks, and it's slot loading. Not a great choice, but it may be your only one.

An alternative could be a wireless HDMI adapter, that would permit you to remotely place the player. https://www.iogear.com/solutions/av/?view=994 I'm not sure how useful the 30HZ model is, although it claims to support HDCP 2.2 (required for most UHD movies).
post #20086 of 20088 Old 04-04-2020, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
High quality "dumb" blu ray players?

Are there any modern "dumb" blu ray players with no apps, no ethernet, very little/no software layer? Something like the very very early blu ray players that didn't boot up to any kind of OS, just a splash screen waiting for you to insert your disc to play?

Or for this will I have to buy a blu ray player from 2006?
post #20087 of 20088 Old 04-04-2020, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion916 View Post
Are there any modern "dumb" blu ray players with no apps, no ethernet, very little/no software layer? Something like the very very early blu ray players that didn't boot up to any kind of OS, just a splash screen waiting for you to insert your disc to play?

Or for this will I have to buy a blu ray player from 2006?

I have an earlier version of this one I got on Black Friday a couple of years ago https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-ubk8...?skuId=6215306

It has no apps and the Ethernet is only for firmware updates. It is about as dumb as they come...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #20088 of 20088 Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I presume that you'd need slot loading. Tray loading would be unworkable with a player mounted vertically.

A Sony PlayStaion 4 plays UHD BluRay disks, and it's slot loading. Not a great choice, but it may be your only one.

An alternative could be a wireless HDMI adapter, that would permit you to remotely place the player. https://www.iogear.com/solutions/av/?view=994 I'm not sure how useful the 30HZ model is, although it claims to support HDCP 2.2 (required for most UHD movies).

The PS4 does NOT play 4K Blurays. The upcoming PS5 is supposed to. Both the Xbox One S and X, do play 4k discs, however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
1080p , bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , blueray , bluray player , colour , control , counter , Dts , dvd , dvd player , dvd-a , flac , hdmi input , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , sacd , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , size , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , subtitles , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page