mount tv to single stud - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-13-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I want to mount my 42" LED tv to the wall. Only problem is there is only 1 stud.

I realize the setup I have the tv will hang over the window which is fine.
I see a few mounts from monoprice, I could go with this unit http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

But worry that it lacks the support for my new child.
If I go for a different mount, I am concerned that if I mount the bracket center on stud, and use toggle bolts on the ends that would work on something like this.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

My concern is there wont be enough room in the wall or unknown components inside the wall if I go to mount toggles on the end and mount the center directly into the stud.

I have cut a hole in the wall to ensure I know where on center the stud is. I have provided a drawing of what exactly I am dealing with and a picture.

Height 24.3 inches
Width 39.8 inches
Depth 1.2 inches
Weight 29.1 lb
All the specs
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817....asp?tab=Specs
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-13-2011, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hit the stuf and use some of these where you can"t.

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/page/m...ProdOid=366039
post #3 of 14 Old 08-14-2011, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I'd open the wall, and find 2 studs.

Your diagram looks like there is 19" to the corner of the room? I'd use a stud at that corner.

You can remove a significant portion of drywall, hang a big chunk of wood (2 x 8", maybe?) between 2 studs, repair surrounding drywall and paint, and then hang your mount on the 'blocking'.

I'd worry about a large child hanging/swinging on that extended cantilevered TV mount, not necessarily my kid but the neighbor's.

You could try hanging it on 1 stud, with toggle bolts on the other end, and try to rip the mount out to see if it holds. If it doesn't, move on to the blocking.

TV + cantilever mount = prob OK, not a giant TV

TV + cantilever mount + big kid = concerns

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-14-2011, 04:21 AM

If you look around, you can find some mounts that only require a single stud. For example,
http://www.standsandmounts.com/FullM...ensFM3-42.aspx or http://www.sanus.com/us/en/productde...uct_name/VM400.

- Just doing my part to stimulate the economy!

Tipping Rock Theater
post #5 of 14 Old 08-14-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Two lag bolts are plenty to support 30 pounds. Add a toggler or anchor or two to keep it level and you'll be fine. There are single nail picture hooks that go into wallboard that hold more than that.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #6 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I was going to stay out of this because the last time I jumped in on mounting everyone disagreed. However, I think you all are missing a few things.

1. I would never hang 30 pounds from a 30 pound drywall mount. Read the fine print. That is a best case where they once got 30 pounds to stay up for awhile with carefully selected drywall and studs a couple of inches to each side.

2. That TV is going to be on an articulated mount. 30 pounds being held 2 feet out from the wall is different that 30 pounds mounted directly to the wall. Take a weight. hold it close to your body. Now take the same weight and hold it at arms length. Feel the added strain on your shoulder? That 30 pound weight is more likely 50-60 pounds of stress on the bolt, and it is mostly trying to pull the bolt straight out, not down. Yeah, and don't forget about your drunk brother-in-law deciding it is a chin-up bar.

3. You need to be careful putting two bolts into the same stud. The two bolts will be pretty much in alignment with the grain of the wood. Wood is much weaker along the grain as it will tend to split. If you do decide to do this, be sure to drill properly sized pilot holes. Also pick a 5/16 or 3/8 inch by 2.5-3" long lag bolt.

I kind of like the idea of doing the plywood and then texturing and painting over it. There should be a stud at the window casing and another at the corner of the wall in addition to the one you found.

Finally, when researching mounts, make sure the ones you consider have the VESA mounting pattern that matches your TV.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

I have decided to put a piece of plywood inside of the wall attached to the stud so i will mount into the stud running horizontal. Thanks for the feedback.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Take a 2x10 and cut it 2 inches longer than the width of your TV mount. Do your best to center the 2x10 on the stud and screw 4 bolts (4 inches long) evenly spaced thru the 2x10 into the direct center of the stud. Make sure the bolts are all firmly secured into the heart of the stud. Paint the 2x10 to match the wall. Then, secure the TV mount to the 2x10.

The mount (unless it is extended away from the wall) will be secured enough to support the weight of the average adult male (200 lbs). I did this for a friend a few years back and his brick (100 lbs) of a plasma is doesn't budge an inch.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 AM

I have a 2 bolt vertical articulating mount for our 32" TV. Mounts vertically on one stud. Works fine for a small, light TV.

We just bought a house and put my Pioneer 4360 above the fireplace (I know, I know . . . ) But it had the stud centered on the fireplace and my mount wasn't wide enough to span 3 studs! I put two lags into the center stud and 2 drywall anchors on each end of the bracket mount. It feels just as strong, if not stronger than the old place with 4 bolts in 2 studs.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-18-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware View Post

I have decided to put a piece of plywood inside of the wall attached to the stud so i will mount into the stud running horizontal. Thanks for the feedback.

Stud running horizontal?

Not too sure how strong your plywood will be, might want to consider a piece of lumber secured between 2 studs, e.g. 2 x 10.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #11 of 14 Old 05-10-2016, 10:37 AM

Hello,
I know this is an old thread and I'm sorry if this topic has probably been beat to death.

The center point of my room is where a stud is (16" centers on either side for next stud) I would like to mount a 52" LCD (with future size increase somewhat later on) using an articulating mount with a 24" wide mounting plate.

The mount will 90% of the time in the recessed position and I'm certain be only brought out to access the rear of the TV so there will not be a constant back and forth motion on the mount. I would like to consider mounting the center of the bracket to the wood stud with lag bolts and put an additional 4 Toggler bolts on each side (8 total).
I see a lot of back and forth (mostly to the negative) about doing this. If the TV is mostly going to be in the recessed position, is this still as bad of an idea?

I see many other articulating mounts out there designed for a single stud installation (with only 2 bolt holes and one arm) capable of taking almost 100 lbs.

I'm wondering why this type of single stud mount is OK to use, yet the other type with a much wider mounting plate that would still be secured in the middle to a wooden stud, with several additional Toggler bolts would be an issue?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Parrot-head; 05-10-2016 at 10:43 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 186
While my experience doesn't match yours completely, but I would say it depends on the weight of your TV. A lot of new bigger TVs weigh so much less than their older smaller counterparts.

I installed 2 50" tvs each on one stud with 2 toggle bolts at each end(studs are 24" OC and oddly spaced where I was mounting. My mounts only allow for tilt though.

Additionally, I'm installing a mount outside that is designed to be bolted to one stud and I plan to mount a 55" on it.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-10-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 174
[QUOTE=jayn_j;20823479]I was going to stay out of this because the last time I jumped in on mounting everyone disagreed.

No we didn't.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Maybe I would be better off going with a heavy duty tilt mount that will span 32"?
Has anyone seen an articulating mount that will cover 3 studs?

Last edited by Parrot-head; 05-10-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page