Master Bedroom TV placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-08-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The wife and I moved into our new place and I got screwed on the layout and don't have a large wall for mounting. I started with wanting a 52" TV (move living room to bedroom) but I am starting to see that might not be an easy sale for the wife. I have attached some pictures of the bedroom but I basically have 2 options: the small wall between the closets and the door way and the corner of the room. I have attached some measurements and pictures for references.

Room -> ~12' X 16.5'

Corner -> ~31" between wall and dresser; ~36-38" angle between wall/dresser

Small Wall -> ~34"

I have a receiver, DVD player, and will have a cable box. The small wall would be the best place as it is right in front of the bed but it's just not wide enough (e.g. 32" TV max?) and I am not thrilled about walking into the room and having a small bookcase holding the components and a TV RIGHT there. The corner would work as I have more real estate but not sure how I would mount that to the wall. Obviously, a slight angle (using the corner) would give me the most area to work with but not sure how that mount would work. I'd want the mount to swivel so I could see it from the opposite corner of the room where my side of the bed is

Ideas?

Crappy photos of new room:
www.shawnaugust.com/PICS/HOME/HARTSDALE/1.jpg
www.shawnaugust.com/PICS/HOME/HARTSDALE/2.jpg
www.shawnaugust.com/PICS/HOME/HARTSDALE/3.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd try to convince the wife on a 37". It may hang off the wall an inch or two on each side, but, from the layout with the closet and the entry door this might not look too bad.

-Curtiss
post #3 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxdsrtrat View Post

I'd try to convince the wife on a 37". It may hang off the wall an inch or two on each side, but, from the layout with the closet and the entry door this might not look too bad.

-Curtiss

You are referring to the small wall to the RIGHT of the closet instead of that corner? I was thinking that would be the worst of the two given that the TV would be obstructing.

She said 37 or 40" will be fine for the corner just not sure how it will fit in that space on a stand or a mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Maybe I just need more coffee, but I'm having trouble imagining the 'other' option. Diagram would help.

Option 1, between the door and closet. What's the other option? Between the closets?

I guess you have 2 side-by-side closets, with a small wall between.

Louvered doors on each of the 2 closets? The wall-mounted TV could hang over your closet door. If you used an 'articulating mount', the TV could be pulled away from the wall far enough for you to open the door, for the 1 time every other month you needed to open that side of your louvered doors.

You could hide the source components - cable box, etc, in your closet behind. You'd need an RF remote or an IR repeater system. Wire shelves would work fine. Might need to add an outlet in there.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Maybe I just need more coffee, but I'm having trouble imagining the 'other' option. Diagram would help.

I can do a quick MS Paint but look at photo #2. Between the closet and the door (look for door handle to the RIGHT of the pink thing) and the corner where the shoe rack is. To reiterate, I doubt I can use that small wall as it limits me to a 32" TV (~34" width) and I am not thrilled with seeing a small bookcase/stand right as I walk in. That leaves me with the corner where I have even less width (31") but nearly 36-38" if I use the corner (I guess 37" TV but maybe 40" depending how it's mounted).

Quote:

Option 1, between the door and closet. What's the other option? Between the closets?

Corner. To the RIGHT of the door where the shoe rack is between the wall and the dresser. Please see above.

Quote:

I guess you have 2 side-by-side closets, with a small wall between.

To the LEFT of the door is just a wall of closets but I have that small corner to the right of the door. Unfortunately, the dresser right there leaves me just a 31" width against that wall.

Quote:

Louvered doors on each of the 2 closets? The wall-mounted TV could hang over your closet door. If you used an 'articulating mount', the TV could be pulled away from the wall far enough for you to open the door, for the 1 time every other month you needed to open that side of your louvered doors.

Just sliding doors but my wife keeps a ton of **** crammed in there. It's impressive. If I mount anything in front of those doors, it would prevent her from getting to the shelves behind it. She won't go for it...

Quote:

You could hide the source components - cable box, etc, in your closet behind. You'd need an RF remote or an IR repeater system. Wire shelves would work fine. Might need to add an outlet in there.

No room at all. It's completely filled
post #6 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
1. Flip down ceiling mount

2. Mount that rotates 90 degrees, mounted between closet and door. Portrait position for closet access.

3. Articulating mount, mounted on wall next to closet. TV overlaps the closet door, but pulls out and away for closet access.

4. Ceiling mount, mounted on a pole hanging from ceiling, on your side of bed.

5. Under bed mount.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

1. Flip down ceiling mount

2. Mount that rotates 90 degrees, mounted between closet and door. Portrait position for closet access.

3. Articulating mount, mounted on wall next to closet. TV overlaps the closet door, but pulls out and away for closet access.

4. Ceiling mount, mounted on a pole hanging from ceiling, on your side of bed. I thought I would use the corner but I prefer the small wall now as it's right in front of me now that I can put 40" or so and use the mount to move it out of the way.

5. Under bed mount.

#WIN. Going with #3 assuming I have a stud on that wall.

Thanks
post #8 of 9 Old 10-22-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I made the decision to go with the short wall which is right in front of my bed and using a swiffle/articulating mount. The TV will hang over in front of the closet but the wife can easily move it to the side. Is an articulating the same as a swiffle mount? I basically just need to move it side-to-side to clear access for the closet. It would be nice to have some adjustment to tilt and such but it will basically be directly in front of me. Monoprice has a TON of mounts that seem to be good options. I was thinking of this (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description) but I doubt that allows me to go right-left so now I am looking at something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

With that said, I haven't checked for a stud but I assume that is necessary? Any ideas other than a hanging wall shelf? I can't think of anything lese evasive for the receiver, center channel surround sound, DVD player, and DVR.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-30-2011, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Interested. I have the Samsung UN40D5003 (40" LED; 37.2" wide;VESA 200X200) which I want to put on a 34" wall. Therefore, it will hang over 3" in front of the closet so I am looking for an articulating mount. My two concerns are how far it will stick out from the wall and how off centered the TV will be relative to the mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Articulating...item2a16495902

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page