AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/)
-   -   Streaming solutions (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/1424765-streaming-solutions.html)

connam06 08-15-2012 11:06 AM

Newbie here. I apologize in advance if there is an abundance of this information already available.

I am looking for a home media solution. I am wanting to purchase some sort of storage device, to save all of my media to, and can have it permanently connected to my TV, as so that I can watch my videos / music at all times, while not tying up my other devices. Hopefully I described what I am looking for correctly, but in case i didnt, below I will share my thought process.

Recently I've been downloading torrents to the girlfriends netbook, and using a VGA cable, I use our TV as a monitor to watch the movies we've downloaded. I understand that this is not even close to a solution, but it works. I am getting close to filling her hard drive, as it is only 80 GB. My first solution, was to buy a large external hard drive, and just saving our media files to it, and using it as a dedicated media drive. However, I would like to be able to not tie up her netbook, while watching movies. So my next thought, was to salvage an older and outdated PC somewhere, putting a large HD into it, and setting it up next to my computer and use it as a dedicated media computer, used solely for playing videos/music to my tv. My friend had said something about getting a NAS (Network storage device), and apple tv box, and using both of them together would be a solution.

Can anyone else describe what they've done or what they would recommend?

Thank you in advance!

waylonrobert 08-15-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connam06 View Post

Newbie here. I apologize in advance if there is an abundance of this information already available.
I am looking for a home media solution. I am wanting to purchase some sort of storage device, to save all of my media to, and can have it permanently connected to my TV, as so that I can watch my videos / music at all times, while not tying up my other devices. Hopefully I described what I am looking for correctly, but in case i didnt, below I will share my thought process.
Recently I've been downloading torrents to the girlfriends netbook, and using a VGA cable, I use our TV as a monitor to watch the movies we've downloaded. I understand that this is not even close to a solution, but it works. I am getting close to filling her hard drive, as it is only 80 GB. My first solution, was to buy a large external hard drive, and just saving our media files to it, and using it as a dedicated media drive. However, I would like to be able to not tie up her netbook, while watching movies. So my next thought, was to salvage an older and outdated PC somewhere, putting a large HD into it, and setting it up next to my computer and use it as a dedicated media computer, used solely for playing videos/music to my tv. My friend had said something about getting a NAS (Network storage device), and apple tv box, and using both of them together would be a solution.
Can anyone else describe what they've done or what they would recommend?
Thank you in advance!

This discussion would be better served here: https://www.avsforum.com/f/39/networking-media-servers-content-streamers

Mods, could you move?

mgkdragn 08-15-2012 03:16 PM

Are you paying for these downloads or stealing them .. ??

weaselfest 08-15-2012 03:58 PM

agreed, this should be moved. but as a side note, not sure if it is in the budget, but many new displays offer USB inputs for using external memory for video playback.