• 1 Post By Mark Booth
  • 2 Post By Mark Booth

post #1 of 8 Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 98
My wife and I decided to convert our garage into a home theater room so we could entertain more guests than the 4-5 we can seat in our living room. We had two main requirements.. One, we're retired and on a fixed income so we need to keep the budget tight. Second, we want to continue to use the garage to park our cars. In other words, the theater conversion had to be something we could set up and take down quickly.

Thanks to a "garage makeover" I did about 9 years ago, we started with a pretty decent blank canvas:

1158288909_wQQPL-XL.jpg

To keep costs down, we decided to simply use the front speakers and subwoofer from the living room. So we could also use the existing living room theater gear, we installed wall jacks in the living room that connected to corresponding wall jacks in the garage.

1158288980_geT6J-XL.jpg

That made it easy to simply haul the front L C R speakers and subwoofer into the garage and hook them up to the gear in the living room. (We already had a pair of KLH outdoor speakers, which we used for surround to complete our 5.1 system.) Our system was already set up for control by RF remote so that made it possible to control everything from the garage.

We picked up a used Sharp DLP projector on eBay for $300. We spent another $120 or so on a 120" 4x3 screen. This is what our first version of the Booth Bijou Garage Theater looked like:

1158288931_amqZq-XL.jpg

1158288969_fBEjr-XL.jpg

Our guests brought their own folding chairs and we entertained up to about two dozen guests in the Garage Theater for a couple of years (skipping the hot summer months). Everyone enjoyed it and we were quite pleased with the results.

For the Fall season reopening this year, however, we wanted to up the ante a bit. We wanted to make it look more like a theater and less like a garage. Again, keeping costs down was important, as was the need to make everything quickly reversible (still need to park those cars in there at night). After a bit of brainstorming, we came up with the idea of using black flat sheets as wall treatment. With the addition of a few screw-in hooks to the ceiling, and some grommets to the sheets, it became a easy matter to quickly hang (or remove) the sheets. A few bungee cords (stretched between ceiling hooks) allowed us to hang sheets between the hooks.

It all came together very nicely!!

i-75PSLXb-XL.jpg

i-VnTzPhv-XL.jpg

i-7hfqH2z-XL.jpg

i-pZJWWS5-XL.jpg

Since we were having so much fun with it, we decided to splurge and upgrade the projector to an Epson 8350 model (pictured above). At the same time, we also decided to pull down the screen just far enough to create a 16x9 aspect. That gave us a 105" screen and, of course, raised the image a bit higher for easier viewing. Here's what it looks like with a few folding chairs set up across the middle of the garage:

i-ZfT27mq-XL.jpg

And with the lights out:

i-9kpdqg9-XL.jpg

We held our Fall reopening on Saturday to a sold-out house! Our guests loved the new look! The grand total we've spend (not counting the garage makeover we did 9 years ago), including the Epson 8350, new Polk Atrium 5 speakers for the rear surround (also added this year), screen and wall treatment is less than $2,000. And, best of all, we can set it up (or take it down) in less than an hour!

Mark
jwill911 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

The garage workbench is where we set up the snack bar:

i-k9rBJCq-XL.jpg

Those aluminum pans are filled with freshly-popped popcorn about 10 minutes before showtime.

As with our living room theater, I enjoy entertaining our guests with custom Booth Bijou trailers and intros. I play the pre-movie entertainment via a Mac mini using VLC. Here's an 8-minute video recording (shot in the garage with my DSLR) demonstrating how various custom intros, trailers, etc. are played together via VLC (some sequences were shortened to save time):

i-Z22rJzW-M.jpg

Additional photos (before and after) can be found at the Booth Bijou Garage Theater link in my signature!

Mark
post #3 of 8 Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Oh, one other fun thing... For the Fall reopening we decided to add a bit of anaglyph 3D to our pre-movie entertainment. A friend had a copy of an anaglyph 3D cartoon and I found several Halloween-themed anaglyph videos on the web. And, of course, we needed red/cyan glasses so I ordered a pack of 50 of them from Amazon for $19. With everyone wearing those glasses, I couldn't resist taking this photo:

i-J3smNvK-XL.jpg

smile.gif

Mark
steve1106 and cazzy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

The full repertoire of Booth Bijou custom intros can be viewed here:

Booth Bijou Custom Intros

Our guests' favorite is the last one in that gallery, the professional voiceover. smile.gif

Mark
post #5 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

At the beginning of 2013, we added a 12 oz popcorn machine to the Booth Bijou Garage Theater.

i-fVJH6KK-XL.jpg

Additional photos of the Booth Bijou Garage Theater can be found here:

http://www.thephotobooth.net/Booth-Bijou/bbgarage/15469874_3BGZHh#!i=1158288909&k=xDDm8hs

Mark
post #6 of 8 Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What an interesting idea, looks great!
post #7 of 8 Old 11-17-2014, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thumbs up Great Customization

Wow, very cool! The announcer near the end is the best...I wouldn't mind doing that in my theater. My only (constructive) criticism might be maybe the pre-show would benefit by being a little shorter? Still quite awesome though, great idea

Sincerely, the frugal audiophile
post #8 of 8 Old 11-18-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Great idea. I like the bring your own chair part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page