DIY sound treatment panel Apartment style.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-26-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I received my first complaint a few weeks ago while watching star trek into darkness at near 0dBs on the receiver. cool.gif Not planning on moving for another year, so I'm making the best of it. Luckily, the material used was all free from work, even the screws!

The wall it sits against is concrete, so I really don't want to drill into it, neither do the owners. Had to think up some kind of method on the fly, other than hanging a panel. For the moment, this is my first attempt. I used R13 fiberglass and some very thin breathable fabric. The complainer is on the opposite side of the room, so I'm hoping this will lesson the echos and reflections. So far it has elevated the sound quality on the couch a noticeable amount, even to the wife. Its a crawler underneath, so stopping bass from getting to his floor seems like a feat fraught with peril.

20131026_160024_zps588de026.jpg

The filth under couches these days! eek.gif

20131026_161244_zps1b223b12.jpg

20131026_192433_zps0811ad32.jpg

Still need to tighten the fabric up and smooth the insulation behind it. Cant beat free though.
Synapse3001 likes this.

Pioneer Elite SC-85 | RBH R-515 LCR | Morel Surrounds | DIY 12" Infinity Subs w/ Inuke 3000

2 CH - Realistic STA-2100D | Realistic Optimus 5-B (restored) | Marantz AT 6 | Sony CDP-CE375
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I'm curious to see how much this helps your situation out! tongue.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
OP,
Don't confuse acoustic treatment (what you are in reality building) with soundproofing.

Very different, your neighbor will still hear inside their living space same as without your treatment.

Soundproofing is all about containing the energy within a space, stopping the transmission thru walls.
It's really a strategic job, all walls/sound entry/exit points need addressing.
Hvac, elect faceplate boxes, doors, etc included.

Via my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

OP,
Don't confuse acoustic treatment (what you are in reality building) with soundproofing.

Very different, your neighbor will still hear inside their living space same as without your treatment.

Soundproofing is all about containing the energy within a space, stopping the transmission thru walls.
It's really a strategic job, all walls/sound entry/exit points need addressing.
Hvac, elect faceplate boxes, doors, etc included.

I think the OP is talking about someone on the other side of the room was complaining.. not the other side of the wall. wink.gif

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #5 of 5 Old 10-31-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

OP,Don't confuse acoustic treatment (what you are in reality building) with soundproofing.Very different, your neighbor will still hear inside their living space same as without your treatment.Soundproofing is all about containing the energy within a space, stopping the transmission thru walls.It's really a strategic job, all walls/sound entry/exit points need addressing.Hvac, elect faceplate boxes, doors, etc included.Via my 32GB iPhone4 using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

The point is to help with reflections and echoes. The speakers face away from the individual that is complaining. So sound comes towards me than bounces back towards the wall of mr. Complainer. By no means does this sound proof anything. However it does elevate the perceived quality of my experience because less sound waves are bouncing around. I believe it has impacted mr. Complainer in the higher frequencies, he has yet to complain again at the same volumes. The improvement for him is probably marginal, the improvement for my ears is substantial. Well worth the cost if I had payed for it. Every little bit helps in multi unit structures..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Pioneer Elite SC-85 | RBH R-515 LCR | Morel Surrounds | DIY 12" Infinity Subs w/ Inuke 3000

2 CH - Realistic STA-2100D | Realistic Optimus 5-B (restored) | Marantz AT 6 | Sony CDP-CE375
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page