MCeatalot's modest 12x11 Media Room build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hi all. long time lurker here and now I finally decided to take the plunge and transform one of the extra bedrooms into a dedicated theater/media room. Size is a modest 12x11. This is going to be an ongoing project as I am about 50% done from the time this thread was started, or at least all the hard part is out of the way, including crawling up in the attic while fending off critters!

I decided to go with a short throw projector instead of a TV for a couple of reasons: 1) it's cheaper than buying a latest gen. TV, an 2) BIG VIEWING SCREEN! Since this is my first set up I wanted to be cost effective. As a result, most of the components I have are mostly either used from CL or on clearance. I did the installation myself, from the in-wall wiring to the paint and decor. Fry's, Monoprice, and Radioshack were my shopping destination for the clearanced items, including banana plugs and some Polk TSi components. Speaking of which, here are the components I'll be enjoying to my delight.

Sony VPL-BW120S projector

DIY 92" blackout cloth screen

Denon E-300 (will have soon)

Polk TSi speakers(CS10, TSi400, TSi100)

Miscellaneous cables, brackets, and banana plugs from Monoprice and Radioshack

Included are some before and during installation photos.

Work done:

1. Projector mount installed, along with HDMI and power outlets.

2. Speaker cables for fronts and rears installed. Front wires were run behind the baseboards. rear wires were run from behind the walls and in the attic.

3. 92" projector screen finished. French cleats will be used to hang it against the wall.

Next steps:

1. Paint the walls and closet area (should have that done in the next 2 days)

2. Reinstall baseboards

3. Install everything!

Thanks for looking!

a.) where the screen will be going.

b.) window side of the room. It's on the west side, which gets lots of sunlight from PM to evening.

c.) Projector temporarily set up to get an idea of how big image will be at certain distance.

d.) 92" screen made out of 1x4 lumber and blackout cloth. Sides are of felt material.

e.) My first ever cut into the drywall.

f.) speaker wire wall plate installed.

g.) pojector mount and outlet installed. Not pictured here but HDMI outlet was also installed.

h.) I had to make an "incision" on the 'fireblock' in order to pass through some of the cables.

i.) Here is that side of the wall all patched up. The media center will be set just to the left of where the ladder currently stands.

Synapse3001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-01-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some updated photos of the room stripped of almost everything and painted.

No flash on iphone.

with some flash.

with flash and nearby light source.

My goal tonight is to finish up with the touch up paint, clean up, reinstall newly painted baseboards, install GFCIs and replace the furniture. Hope to be up and running by end of this weekend!

post #3 of 5 Old 11-05-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

I spent most of this past weekend doing minor touch ups and finally hooking up the speakers. I did have a minor heart attack when I first noticed the projected image was too big for the DIY 92" screen, but managed to get it to work in the end without doing anything.  The screen is attached to the wall using 8" french cleat. It's not necessarily flushed to the wall, but it doesn't bother me. I'm still doing some adjustments to the room and adding decor. I hope to be finished by this weekend, when I can take some more pics of the room. Thanks for looking!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Good job! Looking forward to seeing more pictures of the finished product.

question for you. What's your throw distance?
post #5 of 5 Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

The projector lens is set at roughly 50" (4 ft) away from the screen. Even now, I'm still off by 1/8" from my target.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Sony Vpl Bw120s 2600lm Home Theater Projector , Denon Avr E300 , Polk Audio Cs10 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Tsi400 Floorstanding Speaker Single Black , Polk Audio Tsi100 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page