GEC5741_Official_Basement_Build - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #391 of 399 Old 02-24-2019, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 399 Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
** Accidental Duplicate Post.

HT RIG - Marantz SR5006 | PSB Image B6 / C4 | Klipsch RW-12D | HTD HD-W65 Rears | TiVo Premiere XL4 DVR | Samsung UN75H7150 |
2CH RIG - ADCOM GTP-450 / GFA-5300 | PSB Image T5 | U-Turn Pluto Phono Preamp | Technics SL-1200MK2 w/Ortofon 2MRed |
GARAGE RIG - Yamaha HTR5540 | PSB Alpha Mini | Energy ES8 | Apple Airport |

Last edited by quiksr20; 04-02-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #393 of 399 Old 04-02-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Update time.

So as you may or may not know if you had followed this build at all back in the day I ended up getting divorced. No it didn't happen because of my craziness for my basement theater build! But either way it happened.
So since divorce I've met someone and moved in with her within the last 4 months. I still actually own the other home but I'm trying to sell it so I wanted to just get out and get use to not living there while I try and get it sold. I have now been given the go ahead to create the basement into a theater if I so choose. Now this basement unlike my old one is smaller and presents some quite large challenges. And this house isn't a "forever" house so I'm going to just make do with what I have and can work with. The length is a bit longer but also a little narrower. And that's not just my theater room but the whole basement. So I've been taking some measurements and I think I'll need to go slightly smaller on the screen but I'm hoping to get away with a 120" in maybe 110" diagonal 16:9. Also it's a finished space and the previous owners didn't do me any favors with the walls. They used spray insulation in the celling and walls so getting cables around will be a challenge and I'll need to get creative. But again it's not a keeper house so I don't want to rip drywall down and redo. So I'll make it work. I'm not entirely sure when I'll be able to get started but I'll post a link to the new 1.5 mini build when I get started. I'm excited to get going on it though so hopefully soon! I'll probably at least get some pictures of the current space and what I have to work with within the next week or so.

Not sure anyone that had followed this thread is still around but if so hopefully I can get some more advice from you all in the next few months!

thanks,
GEC5741
Gonna check out the new build ( Need Ideas ) for my new build as well Read the whole thread which was awesome.

Just out of curiosity ( sorry if its in the thread and I missed it ) Had a few questions :

1 - What was the distance left to right of the wall the screen is on ?

2 - How far away are you from the screen when sitting on couch?
3 - What screen size did you go with?

I have lolly columns i my basement that are hard to work around, Trying to find the best wall and spot for my screen & seating.

Ill def post a thread when Im more along in the planning, Best of luck on the new build ( following ) and thanks in advance.

HT RIG - Marantz SR5006 | PSB Image B6 / C4 | Klipsch RW-12D | HTD HD-W65 Rears | TiVo Premiere XL4 DVR | Samsung UN75H7150 |
2CH RIG - ADCOM GTP-450 / GFA-5300 | PSB Image T5 | U-Turn Pluto Phono Preamp | Technics SL-1200MK2 w/Ortofon 2MRed |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 399 Old 04-02-2019, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksr20 View Post
Gonna check out the new build ( Need Ideas ) for my new build as well Read the whole thread which was awesome.

Just out of curiosity ( sorry if its in the thread and I missed it ) Had a few questions :

1 - What was the distance left to right of the wall the screen is on ?

2 - How far away are you from the screen when sitting on couch?
3 - What screen size did you go with?

I have lolly columns i my basement that are hard to work around, Trying to find the best wall and spot for my screen & seating.

Ill def post a thread when Im more along in the planning, Best of luck on the new build ( following ) and thanks in advance.
I believe in my first build the screen wall was about 14'. I went with a 135" standard 16x9 screen and it fit perfectly with the front towers. as for the distance from my seating distance it was roughly 14 feet as well. depending where on the couch you sat. The back wall after drywall was about 16' maybe a little less from the screen. I found it quite comfortable distance and size wise. Good luck on your build! I'll look forward to a build thread!
post #395 of 399 Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I believe in my first build the screen wall was about 14'. I went with a 135" standard 16x9 screen and it fit perfectly with the front towers. as for the distance from my seating distance it was roughly 14 feet as well. depending where on the couch you sat. The back wall after drywall was about 16' maybe a little less from the screen. I found it quite comfortable distance and size wise. Good luck on your build! I'll look forward to a build thread!

Gec,

Thanks so much for getting back to me, Im in the planning phase so it maybe a while... My basement is semi small ( 750sqft ) with lolly colums down the middle so I have to
get creative but im just getting started.. I subscribed to your new build and Ill be sure to start a thread soon. Dont wanna start until I can give good updates, So far its nothing
fun to follow. Just gutted the 1990 plain jane damp musty finished basement, did french drains w/ dual sump pumps and im planning while I save some cash.

Im hoping to do a 120" screen or so, Just having a hard time choosing where to put the screen... One section I have 10ft wide and 20 ft deep or if I go the other way I have a 30ft wall but
I have to place the couches between the colums to get 10-12ft from the screen or im too close to the wall...

It will make more sense when I put a diagram up in my thread.. Stay tuned hahahah

DG

post #396 of 399 Old 04-04-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep I remember those day's! Feels like yesterday. Wait it was!!! hahahah. But seriously I do remember in my first build agonizing over how it was all going to work out. I had 0 experience with a projector and wasn't sure how it really all worked. I read a TON and followed build threads here religiously. You can get a ton of good advice from people here that have been through it but I will say some times you can get a bit over kill on the advice and drive yourself crazy. It depends on how "picky" I guess you are on things. For me I started out thinking 120 screen size. Best thing I did though was get the projector before I bought a screen. That allowed me to shine it on the wall and play around with different sizes. I ended up going 135 and very glad I did! My new build I did the same since I had the luxury of already having the PJ. 110 inch screen was as big as I could go in this new place but down the road in my next home (hopefully last home) I'll be going bigger! I also started my thread after I had a lot of the framing done. This thread is still long and stretched over 3 years! It took me forever to get things done but eventually it did (for the most part). this new build is already close. I have a few more things I'd "like" to do and get but will see when. I'm still just playing around with the desk I built and setup of my computer and monitors etc. I also am trying to figure out how I can include my Jukebox in this basement. I could mount on a wall or use as a second monitor on my desk and call it a day.

Oh another tip I can give you. If you have read this thread closely You will have seen I used what's nick named "smurf tube" as chase runs. You can buy at Menards if you have them where you live or I'm sure you can find at HD or Lowes also. It's a flexible blue tubing. It's great stuff and I put it anywhere I had a speaker or network run. I put a pull string in it and left it. Now I never had to use them but in the event I wanted to pull more or new cable I could easily get to it. I drywalled my ceiling so it would of been near impossible with out having to repair drywall.

Good luck!
post #397 of 399 Old 04-04-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Yep I remember those day's! Feels like yesterday. Wait it was!!! hahahah. But seriously I do remember in my first build agonizing over how it was all going to work out. I had 0 experience with a projector and wasn't sure how it really all worked. I read a TON and followed build threads here religiously. You can get a ton of good advice from people here that have been through it but I will say some times you can get a bit over kill on the advice and drive yourself crazy. It depends on how "picky" I guess you are on things. For me I started out thinking 120 screen size. Best thing I did though was get the projector before I bought a screen. That allowed me to shine it on the wall and play around with different sizes. I ended up going 135 and very glad I did! My new build I did the same since I had the luxury of already having the PJ. 110 inch screen was as big as I could go in this new place but down the road in my next home (hopefully last home) I'll be going bigger! I also started my thread after I had a lot of the framing done. This thread is still long and stretched over 3 years! It took me forever to get things done but eventually it did (for the most part). this new build is already close. I have a few more things I'd "like" to do and get but will see when. I'm still just playing around with the desk I built and setup of my computer and monitors etc. I also am trying to figure out how I can include my Jukebox in this basement. I could mount on a wall or use as a second monitor on my desk and call it a day.
Awesome, In the one location I can prob fit a 135" screen ( not sure what the minimal ground / ceiling clearance should be for a screen ) The basement ceiling height is around 7 1/2 FT.

Quote:
Oh another tip I can give you. If you have read this thread closely You will have seen I used what's nick named "smurf tube" as chase runs. You can buy at Menards if you have them where you live or I'm sure you can find at HD or Lowes also. It's a flexible blue tubing. It's great stuff and I put it anywhere I had a speaker or network run. I put a pull string in it and left it. Now I never had to use them but in the event I wanted to pull more or new cable I could easily get to it. I drywalled my ceiling so it would of been near impossible with out having to repair drywall.

Good luck!
Great idea I did see where you used it and ill prob do the same to some of the locations !!! Thanks for the tips.

PS... Cool to see all the network runs / switches etc, Im an IT guy myself so have a ton of ethernet runs throughout the whole house.
All the 2nd floor rooms goto a switch in the upstairs closet which links via fiber ( i cant believe fiber is getting cheap, only reaosn i did it ) to
a basement switch that handles all the 1st floor and basement connections.

Running a few self hosted servers / nas for plex and other storage + Ubiquit Router / AP's

Last edited by quiksr20; 04-04-2019 at 10:47 AM.
post #398 of 399 Old 04-04-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksr20 View Post
Awesome, In the one location I can prob fit a 135" screen ( not sure what the minimal ground / ceiling clearance should be for a screen ) The basement ceiling height is around 7 1/2 FT.

Great idea I did see where you used it and ill prob do the same to some of the locations !!! Thanks for the tips.

PS... Cool to see all the network runs / switches etc, Im an IT guy myself so have a ton of ethernet runs throughout the whole house.
All the 2nd floor rooms goto a switch in the upstairs closet which links via fiber ( i cant believe fiber is getting cheap, only reaosn i did it ) to
a basement switch that handles all the 1st floor and basement connections.

Running a few self hosted servers / nas for plex and other storage + Ubiquit Router / AP's
7 1/2 feet should be enough for ceiling height. the only issue I ran into was my screen was a bit low to the ground. So I had to have a custom stand for the center channel made. It's a simple design and easy to make and that's in my build as well. just measure when you have a screen to get an accurate measurement of how high you can make it. Since it was relatively low I made it angle up. I quite like it and I'm still using it currently in the new build! Also my screen was a bit close to the ceiling but it didn't bother me. And I didn't use flat paint on the ceiling. I'd recommend though going flat and dark on the ceiling to keep down shine from the screen. I went all eggshell and it was ok. In my new build I did all flat on the ceilings but eggshell on the walls.

Yep I love networking my house. Luckily the new house was already networked so I didn't have to do much. I added my 42 port poe switch I already had but only have a few non poe devices on it really. That's awesome you linked your switches via fiber! I did not at the time in my old house. I just used all coper. Worked just fine for what I was doing. I'm a big believer in getting a few network drops to any location you have a TV or any AV equipment or may want to add one down the road. I did a ton in my old house! As for Plex the nas devices are nice. I"ve heard plex can have a hard time transcoding due to limitations on the processor in most though. I run an i7 processor PC running windows 2012 R2 as a Domain controller. I run plex from it. And for me I find external usb drives are cheap so I just keep adding them for space . I just picked up a 10TB one for less then 2hundred. I have a 4 and 6TB drive I use for backup so I have some redundancy. when I get close to filling up I'll buy another one.

Last edited by gec5741; 04-04-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #399 of 399 Old 04-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
7 1/2 feet should be enough for ceiling height. the only issue I ran into was my screen was a bit low to the ground. So I had to have a custom stand for the center channel made. It's a simple design and easy to make and that's in my build as well. just measure when you have a screen to get an accurate measurement of how high you can make it. Since it was relatively low I made it angle up. I quite like it and I'm still using it currently in the new build! Also my screen was a bit close to the ceiling but it didn't bother me. And I didn't use flat paint on the ceiling. I'd recommend though going flat and dark on the ceiling to keep down shine from the screen. I went all eggshell and it was ok. In my new build I did all flat on the ceilings but eggshell on the walls.

Yep I love networking my house. Luckily the new house was already networked so I didn't have to do much. I added my 42 port poe switch I already had but only have a few non poe devices on it really. That's awesome you linked your switches via fiber! I did not at the time in my old house. I just used all coper. Worked just fine for what I was doing. I'm a big believer in getting a few network drops to any location you have a TV or any AV equipment or may want to add one down the road. I did a ton in my old house! As for Plex the nas devices are nice. I"ve heard plex can have a hard time transcoding due to limitations on the processor in most though. I run an i7 processor PC running windows 2012 R2 as a Domain controller. I run plex from it. And for me I find external usb drives are cheap so I just keep adding them for space . I just picked up a 10TB one for less then 2hundred. I have a 4 and 6TB drive I use for backup so I have some redundancy. when I get close to filling up I'll buy another one.

Awesome! Yeah the fiber was from Amazon for I think like $100 for 100ft or something ( expensive but only had to buy once ), Im only running gigabit but since it will be buried under the sheetrock why not. For Plex / Nas im running Xpenology ( Fork of Synologys OS ). So my NAS is more like a hypervisor now as it can do Virtual machines as well and has an i5 which barely stresses out even when transcoding, It has w/16gb ram with an SSD for apps and two 4TB WD Reds for storage in raid. If you ever get interested check out Xpenology they just mod the bootloader and you grab the os image direct from Synology. https://www.reddit.com/r/Xpenology/ Ill let you know when I start my build thread for sure.

Last edited by quiksr20; 04-04-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page