GEC5741_Official_Basement_Build - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #241 of 399 Old 12-02-2014, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Yep I have a plex server that holds movies and use a small mini pc as a plex client connected to my avr.

Yea I'm really happy so far with the 5030. Still playing with settings but I think I'll have to wait to get a darn screen to really see the diff in picture.

Congrats You'll love it!
Nice! Can you elaborate on your plex hardware setup? I'm not very up to speed on media servers, but I will probably be upgrading one of the family computers over the next few weeks, so I wonder if the old one could be used as a media server? Do you just need a massive hard drive and a video card with HDMI output?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 399 Old 12-02-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Sure. The hardware I'm using isn't anything elaborate really. I have a pc in my office that has the plex server software on it. I jave a few large usb drives that have moviea and shows on them. Eventually I plan to get a large nas like a synology. The media can live anywhere really as long as its on your network and reachable.
post #243 of 399 Old 12-02-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So for clients plex has a nuber of options. I have it installed on my phone. They have a roku version, an andriod version which runs on google tv devices. It works on apple as well. You can go to the website for a full list. I prefer to use the pc version which is called home theater. I have a mini pc that runs plex that I attatched to my avr. That's about it really. There are other options but I lkke plex because my media litterally is accessable to me anywhere!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 399 Old 12-02-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 203
If you're just looking to go with an inexpensive screen for now, might I suggest the Silver Ticket screens

I got one of these for my brother in law and don't see how you could beat it for the price. The frame has actual velvet, not the flocking, and the tension tab screen works very well. For the price ($250 for a 120"), it really is a great deal.
post #245 of 399 Old 12-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
I prefer a fixed frame screen personally anyway. Do you have a 120 inch elite screen fixed mount? For some reason I thought you went with 100 inches? How do you like the Elite? For the money they get good reviews and seem to be a good fit for me at the moment.

Also Yep I do have plans to get that center channel off the floor. I do have something that the front of the center channel is resting on now so it is angled a bit up but I plan to make a simple but nice looking stand for it out of wood.
Whew. I don't know why...but I thought for certain you were painting a screen. You are correct, I have the 100-inch Sable Fixed-Frame screen. When I was quoting my dimensions earlier, I actually used the #'s for the 120" Elite Screen instead of pulling them from the 100". My bad. Yes, I picked my screen up on either Amazon or BH Photo...I can't remember which. It was the perfect entry level screen for me and the picture on it is fantastic with the 5030! Here is the same model I have (in Cinewhite) but in a 120:

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...le+fixed+mount

BH Photo has it for $297.00
post #246 of 399 Old 12-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also Yep I do have plans to get that center channel off the floor. I do have something that the front of the center channel is resting on now so it is angled a bit up but I plan to make a simple but nice looking stand for it out of wood.
I've been doing a bunch of research lately on CC stands (for obvious reasons). I've got 29" from my carpet to the bottom of the fluted casing around the bottom of my screen. I opted to go with an 18" high stand which puts the top of my CSiA6 speaker about 3" below the casing. During my search, I also came across a couple of shorter (13"H) stands that might work well in your room. I know you are most likely making your own but I thought I'd share them with you anyway...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTI-DFC-DF-S...item2c907be328

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTI-RFC-RF-S...item20f191cf30

Good luck!
post #247 of 399 Old 12-03-2014, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep that's the same screen I was looking at. Glad to know that it's a good screen. I know it's entry level but for now I think we will be happy with it and for that price you can't beat it I'd think. Now to just figure out 120 or 135

Also I may concider the silver ticket screen. I'll do some comparing since I have a little time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for the links to the stands! I may just end up grabbing one of those if the height is right. I can make one easy enough but maybe I won't go through the hassle if I don't have to. I'll have to just see how much money i'd save. I figure probably 30 bucks in wood, another 15 in paint/brushes and supplies. then the hassle. Mabye for 80 bucks or so it would be worth just buying something provided I can find the right height.
post #248 of 399 Old 12-03-2014, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

My advice to you on the screen size is this. I wouldn't go any bigger than 120" if your main seating location is 12'-13' (or less) from the screen. If you are 14'+ then I would say you could maybe get away with a 135". The 120" will most likely be a MUCH sharper image (based on what I think your seating distance is) over the 135", UNLESS of course you are sitting 16'+ away. It certainly all boils down to personal preference and luckily you have the projector now and can play with the image size on the wall. Here are a couple of calculators that I found useful in making my decision...

http://www.screeninnovations.com/too...ting-distance/

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html
post #249 of 399 Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Not sure I ever mentioned this but that couch in these photos is an old sectional I have had for years. It's going to have to due for the time being. Eventually that will be upgraded
Weird! I think we just moved out that exact sectional in January to make room for the new seating in our theater. It was a 3 piecer, that we'd only bought 2 of in our first apartment 9 years ago

We gave it to my SIL but if you want other pieces to match we could work out a deal . . .
post #250 of 399 Old 12-03-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Heheh thanks Nic but were good. Eventually I'm getting rid of it. But until I can afford to get some new nice Theater stuff it's what I have. There are actually 4 pieces including the chase lounge part. I moved that part into the kid area to act as a couch for them for the time being also.
post #251 of 399 Old 12-03-2014, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Your room is turning out to be pretty bad ass gec. You'll have to let us know when the listening party is. Between you and conrad my list of "**** to do when I finally get started" is coming along nicely. And from local guys! maybe I can bribe yall for help!
post #252 of 399 Old 12-03-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Heheh If I can I'll help! I'm a bit north east of you up in Antioch IL.
post #253 of 399 Old 12-04-2014, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
gec, Could you post the paint colors you used? I'm looking at options for a gray room myself. Thanks Room is looking great!
post #254 of 399 Old 12-04-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks! When I get home tonight I can look at the cans of left over paint I have. I can't remember off the top of my head what the names were. i do know they were a Behr paint though.

I watched the Hawks game down there last night. Even without a screen that is a lot of fun to watch a game on the big screen. And the hits sound great with the sound setup! After the game I watched Edge of tomorrow. That was a blast! Having a Theater is everything I hoped it would be so far!
SupaKats likes this.
post #255 of 399 Old 12-04-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! When I get home tonight I can look at the cans of left over paint I have. I can't remember off the top of my head what the names were. i do know they were a Behr paint though.

I watched the Hawks game down there last night. Even without a screen that is a lot of fun to watch a game on the big screen. And the hits sound great with the sound setup! After the game I watched Edge of tomorrow. That was a blast! Having a Theater is everything I hoped it would be so far!
Not sure what sub you have, but if you had the volume turned up at the opening credits of Edge of Tomorrow you probably thought the walls were coming down! They have the crazy output low bass right at the beginning that will get ya.
post #256 of 399 Old 12-04-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yup! I have a Klisch R-112SW. It's no 15 inch but it's pretty sweet. I wasn't ready for that either as it was kind of late and the rest of the fam was up in bed. Luckily seems all my insulating paid off because even just up on the main level I can have the sound in that room up fairly loud and not really hear it. And normally I will get a text from the wife to turn it down. So far when i'm down there I haven't heard one peep out of her so that is AWESOME! when I would be watching a movie in the living room there is no insulation in between the floors to the upstairs and you can hear it clear as day. I would have to turn it down and back up when a quite scene would come up. Now I can watch with a good amount of volume and not worry about it.
post #257 of 399 Old 12-04-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Gear list is

Onkyo tx-nr737
Definitive technologies pb8040 floor standing towers
Definitive technologies pb8040 center
I have def tech for all of my speakers except my center channel. I was curious about getting the cs-8040. Is this the same as the pb8040? What's your opinion on your speaker setup? I have Mythos for my L/R mains.
post #258 of 399 Old 12-04-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Honestly I'm no expert om speakers. Im not really sure what the difference is between the 2 8040's. But im extremely happy wiyh my setup. I went with a klipsch 12 inch sub. The def tech cubes were cool and sounded good but I preferred the klipch's kick. I'm useing some old jbl's for side surrounds. Again im extremely happy. For me it was all about the theater experience and the sounds with movies to me sounds killer.

I saw your updated pics today. Very impressive looking for sure!

Last edited by gec5741; 12-08-2014 at 10:09 AM.
post #259 of 399 Old 12-04-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Deciding on a screen sizeis gonna be tough! I've measured out both 120 and 135. I have to say I cant help but liking the largwr size. Really 130 would be peefecr but for some reason elite doesn't seem to have one that size. I keep adjusring between the two sizes. 120 just seems a but smaller then I wantwd to go. I'm sittimg about 15 feet from eyes to screen. Pj is the same from lense to screen. Even when I push seating up a foot im still comfortable. Image to me doesnt loom like it changes much quality wise that I can tell. And this is on a dark wall in eggshel paint.
Decisions just never end do they?
post #260 of 399 Old 12-04-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Deciding on a screen sizeis gonna be tough! I've measured out both 120 and 135. I have to say I cant help but liking the largwr size. Really 130 would be peefecr but for some reason elite doesn't seem to have one that size. I keep adjusring between the two sizes. 120 just seems a but smaller then I wantwd to go. I'm sittimg about 15 feet from eyes to screen. Pj is the same from lense to screen. Even when I push seating up a foot im still comfortable. Image to me doesnt loom like it changes much quality wise that I can tell. And this is on a dark wall in eggshel paint.
Decisions just never end do they?
I would honestly say go with the bigger one or else you may regret it later. If you have the space and are sitting 15 feet away, those extra 15 inches should really help with the immersion factor.

I'm limited to 110" due to my room, but my mpl is also only 11 feet or so away. I originally wanted 120" and it was more immersive, but just too big for the space (the bottom inch was too low and behind the subs).

Keep in mind, with the majority of movies you're going to lose a good chunk of real estate with the 2:40 to 1 aspect ratio. Make sure you try out a movie with the black bars before deciding - these are where the increased size would really appreciated. Regular 16:9 may look huge, but the bigger the better when accounting for the black bars.
post #261 of 399 Old 12-05-2014, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea I was playing around last night. The black bar thing is what worries me. 16:9 at 120 isn't bad but when it gets to scope is where it worries me. 135 is at the max sizs I can go but they don't make 130 that I cam tell. Maybe I'll stroll over to the screen boards and see what oppinions are over there.

Edit: Looks like Jamestown makes a 130" and the price seems right. I may have to do some research on them and see if that may be a good option for my situation.
http://www.jamestownhometheaterscree...nDiagonal.html

Last edited by gec5741; 12-05-2014 at 06:44 AM.
post #262 of 399 Old 12-05-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea I was playing around last night. The black bar thing is what worries me. 16:9 at 120 isn't bad but when it gets to scope is where it worries me. 135 is at the max sizs I can go but they don't make 130 that I cam tell. Maybe I'll stroll over to the screen boards and see what oppinions are over there.

Edit: Looks like Jamestown makes a 130" and the price seems right. I may have to do some research on them and see if that may be a good option for my situation.
http://www.jamestownhometheaterscree...nDiagonal.html
You could always check out Carada too, although that might be a fairly sizeable jump in budget. They seem to have a lot of in-between sizes.
post #263 of 399 Old 12-08-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs_2b23 View Post
gec, Could you post the paint colors you used? I'm looking at options for a gray room myself. Thanks Room is looking great!
Sorry I haven't posted these for you yet. I went and looked at the cans I have but only one of them have the color name on them. The others I have are cans that I went back to the store for and they just have the color codes on them. The one I do know off hand is the Darkest of the colors and it's called Dark Granite. It's in the Behr line. You can look for that in the swatches and see what others are with it. I can try and dig out the swatches still. Maybe my wife knows where those are.

As for my Screen size dilema I'm now leaning toward sticking with a 135". I've been watching sports and movies on it and I feel I'm pretty good with it. I could go with a JamesTown 130" screen too so I may test that size but I think were all good with 135. My parents are coming over tonight to watch Monday night Football so this will be a good test. I'm pretty sure I can hear my mom saying that it's too big but will see. If she don't complain then I know I'm good Pretty sure my dad will dig it.

We went on a shopping spree yesterday and picked up the rest of the hard wood, bathroom tile, vanity, toilet, and trim. So now back to work. Were having a family holliday party in 2 weeks so hoping to be close to done by then! Crunch time!
post #264 of 399 Old 12-17-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well, I got my screen and the 5030ub. My throw distance is 16'9", the screen is 110" 1.3 gain non-AT. My room is dark brown with controlled lighting. I upgraded the firmware to V111. I was prepared to be blown away...and I have to say that I wasn't.

I see the screen door effect, and I can't get it out of my head now. The gaming lag is an issue on fine mode, it goes away in fast mode, but I don't like the picture quality reduction. The fan is loud on bright mode and 3D, but not on eco. -Here's an interesting thing I read in the owner's forum: It appears the fan speed is increased when the PJ is ceiling mounted (inverted picture). I see yours is shelf mounted, and maybe that's the only way to go to be able use it in bright or 3D without being distracted by the fan, because let me tell you, I don't know how anybody could say it isn't loud. I'm going to experiment with mine to see if there is a difference, but I bet there is.

I also think it's just difficult to get a good looking picture across HDTV, games, and blu-rays without tinkering around with the settings constantly. My auto iris doesn't seem to have any effect on the picture and just makes noise. Again, I'm going to try this non-inverted and see if anything changes.

Also in the meantime, I'm expecting to receive a Sony HW40ES tomorrow. I've got to be able to see the difference between these two projectors firsthand because I thought the Epson was a clear winner for me, and now I'm really unsure.

So, I'm frustrated with my Epson for now - but I've got some experimenting to do...

-Schlemstar
post #265 of 399 Old 12-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlemstar View Post
I also think it's just difficult to get a good looking picture across HDTV, games, and blu-rays without tinkering around with the settings constantly.
My picture for HDTV and BRs was phenomenal right out of the box. I cannot speak for games because I've got the kids' XBOX hooked up upstairs. I am also forunate in that my PJ is in-wall (or in bulkhead) so, although it is almost directly above where we are sitting, it essentially has it's own hush box.

Interesting to hear that the fans speed is increased when the PJ is hung from the ceiling (inverted). I had never heard that before.

I sure hope you figure out the problem because it really is a good projector. Who knows, maybe the SONY gets to stay
post #266 of 399 Old 12-17-2014, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlemstar View Post
Also in the meantime, I'm expecting to receive a Sony HW40ES tomorrow. I've got to be able to see the difference between these two projectors firsthand because I thought the Epson was a clear winner for me, and now I'm really unsure.

Please post back with your impressions of the Sony. I was about to buy the Epson earlier this year and at the last minute went for the Sony. I am very happy with the picture and it is a very quite unit. Not having anything to compare it to, I would be interested to see how it stacks up.
post #267 of 399 Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea I have heard reports of having the epson ceiling mounted makes the fan noisier but I'm not sure if those were ever found true or not. Mine is shelf mounted and I'm glad I went that route. For my room it didn't matter and was cheaper for me to go with a shelf over an expensive ceiling mount. The only thing with the epson that had me concerned was the SDE but for me I don't really notice it when watching things. I'm probably sitting 14-15 feet away from around 135" image on a wall and to me it's not really an issue. If I go right up to it I can see the pattern but sitting back and just enjoying sports or a movie I don't notice it. I was really close though to grabbing the sony when I purchased mine and if I would of caught the sale I probably would have. Or if the sony had RF glasses I probably would of gone that direction also but the free bulb and lowered price on the epson sealed the deal for me. Plus I had spent the last 2 years researching this projector and just felt more comfortable going with it and not with one that I didn't really know a ton about. If the screen door effect and sound really do bother you then the sony may be a better fit because from what I hear these things are not an issue. For me though I don't notice the sound even at it's highest output unless I really listen for it. Please report back and let us know what you end up doing.

Love your build by the way!
Thanks!

Last edited by gec5741; 12-17-2014 at 10:47 AM.
post #268 of 399 Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have some updates! The bathroom tile is down and will be grouted today. The hard wood is also down! I need to get 2 transition pieces still where it meets the carpet and get trim going but it sure is nice to not be walking on concrete anymore. I went to Menards last night and picked up 3 pre-hung doors. I bought a 4th door for the water heater area but that I had to special order. I went with a vented louver door for that area so I needed something that they don't have in stock. It won't be here for 3-4 weeks unfortunately. I started painting the doors I do have last night. I got 3 of the frames painted and 2 doors painted on one side. Today I have a half day so I'm going to get the other sides painted on those 2. I'm off tomorrow so hope to get the 3rd door painted between tonight and tomorrow. Hoping to get them installed by Saturday. We have a family party at our house on Sat so I'm cutting it close but Id' like to get as much done as possible before the party! I don't know how I'm going to do it because there is a lot of other things that need to also get done around the house before Sat and my back is out! I'm fighting through it but it's painful to walk. I've had back issues for years so I'm use to it

Here is one picture for now. I'd take more but the basement is a total mess at the moment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141217_192619.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	428729  

Last edited by gec5741; 12-18-2014 at 07:53 AM.
post #269 of 399 Old 12-18-2014, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Looking good!

Nice progress!!!! I'm still doing brick work on my accent walls which has slowed the whole progress.

What's your thoughts on the Onkyo receiver? I have a TX-SR606 which I hadn't used in 2 years as it needed the HDMI caps repaired. Fixed it and its working well, but it doesn't support 3D pass through. So, I've been looking to upgrade.
post #270 of 399 Old 12-18-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Honestly I wasn't planning on going with an onkyo receiver but so far i'm liking the one I have. I still have to sit down and tweak but as is It seems to be a fine receiver. I'm hoping to get a buddy of mine over in the next few weeks to take a look at it and help me really set it up if there is anything more to do with it. He does professional home installation and knows all the little in's and out's. I'm sure he will point out all the issues I have with my build but he's a protectionist and I am not when it comes to that kind of thing. But anyway like I was saying I went with the Onkyo because it was on sale at the time. I'm not disappointed in it so far. The mobile phone app is actually really nice. I've played around with it and some of the different sound settings.

As for your brick work what exactly are you using? Are you doing some sort of stone Veneer? I have a wall going down my stairs that I plan to do a stone on so I'm curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page