HDTV or AV receiver: which should be the "hub" of a system? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-28-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm about to do a complete overhaul my 10+ year old home theater system, which is based around a Knox S-Video 8x8 matrix switch (the "hub").

The new system will have an LED HDTV (probably a 60"+ Samsung smart TV) and an AV receiver (likely a Sony STR-DN1040).

I'll continue to need to allow my non-HDMI-capable legacy devices to act as sources: a CD changer, a Hi8 VCR and even a S-VHS VCR.  As an experiment, I bought an S-Video to HDMI converter, and the conversion quality is not bad, considering the relatively low resolution of the legacy device itself. So it appears with a converter for each legacy source, I'll be able to standardize on an HDMI hub.

So here's my question: should the HDTV act as the hub, or should the AV receiver?

I'm leaning towards using the AV receiver as the hub, as it has more HDMI inputs than the HDTV (the Sony receiver has 8).

But what are the pros and cons of using the HDTV as the hub?

Thanks!

DadCat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Biggest drawback of using your TV as the source switching point for your system is that you will be missing out on the improved audio available through HDMI on any new HD devices you may be adding. Your TV won't pass the original lossless digital audio track to your receiver. At best you'll get Dolby 5.1 using the digital audio out of your TV. (It won't have an HDMI out).
Too bad you didn't upgrade your receiver a couple of years ago (unless you are worried about 3D) Upconversion of legacy video formats to HDMI used to be a common feature on many receivers, simply to consolidate cabling to your display.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 3 Old 02-01-2014, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadCat1093 View Post

So here's my question: should the HDTV act as the hub, or should the AV receiver?

AVR. They are designed to be the "hub".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page