Updated 'value' home theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

So here is the new home theater in my basement.  Pretty exciting so I thought I'd share.  I did a lot of research and went for where I thought was best value for the money (since I was getting everything at once), and will eventually upgrade as desired.  Frankly, it has exceeded my expectations in every possible way.  And while the setup might not be as optimal as if this was only a movie room, it really looks and sounds fantastic!  We just watched Star Trek Into Darkness in 3D and it was awesome. We are absolutely hooked on 3D now!  I think we're gonna start skipping movies at the theaters :-)

Some thoughts:

- Can't say enough about the Energy Take 5.1 speakers.  At least for a small room like this, they fill the room with sound and make you feel like you're right in the middle of it.  Not small speaker sound at all.

- The Epson 3020 is great, but you have to hang it perfectly, I had to get a long leg mount to get it to sit low enough.  Now it's in the right spot but a bit wobbly when you try to turn the focus ring.  Black levels aren't incredible, but they are definitely good enough not to be distracting, and the contrast and colors are beautiful right out of the box in cinema mode.  3D movies make black levels even better once you put the glasses on.  Overall huge image improvement over my old InFocus projector.

- Audyssey on the Onkyo TX-NR525 seems to work well, but I've yet to play enough with the settings to see if I fully agree with how it set everything up.  It set center channel at -4db, front sides at -2 and surround speakers at -5, with the sub at -2.  I haven't played with multiple sub locations as it just works well in the room there (you can kind of see the edge of it on the bottom right of picture 3), so I'd like to keep it there. Sounded perfect for Pacific Rim, Star Trek and some other movies.  However in Inception, in the diCaprio going in the tub scene, it was just too much bass (at least with this sub).  I think the volume might be set too high.

If anyone has any suggestions on the levels for the Energy speakers, or any calibration tips on the projector that I should consider, let me know!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You can do a little more fine tuning of your speakers by using an SPL meter. I use a simple app on my iphone to balance out the sound output to my primary LP for each speaker pairing (L, R & C at one level), Surrounds at a lower equal level.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-03-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Cool. I will give that a shot. Do I understand you right that you keep the center channel at the same level as the left and right?  I thought it was a little odd that the program set the center channel at -4db versus the left and right at -2, but I guess it hasn't bothered me in the movies that I've watched (and maybe that's the adjustment necessary for equal volume?).  I did turn the Onkyo dynamic volume control to "light" instead of off, and I think it helps to keep the dialogue audible even when it's a whisper.

I was also wondering...  Does anyone keep the mesh off the speakers?  Is the main purpose to keep them clean?  My girlfriend told me they look cooler without it and I agree, and she thought they also sounded crisper and clearer without them although honestly they sounded pretty close to the same to me... I thought that maybe I noticed a slight difference but I wonder if this was placebo effect in action.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It depends on your preference, but I like the center pushed up a bit since it really is a critical speaker for voice in movies.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice setup. Looks like a comfy room and I bet those Energy's do sound nice in there.
I've never watched 3D on a big projector screen, I bet it is cool with the right movie.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Nice setup, how big is your screen? I can't see the two rear speakers from your photo, where are they? How far are you sitting from the screen? I recently did a basement setup similar to yours using a Paradigm Cinema 100 5.1 speaker set.

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Paradigm Home Speaker set 5.1 Cinema 100
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #7 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Dradius - Yes, the 3d works really great!  That's not a big screen though, it's only 76".  It's the only piece of my old home theater that I kept, I bought it with my InFocus projector about a decade ago.  As you can see, I couldn't really go much larger anyway, so a larger screen will be for when I move.

ash_man- The rear speakers are on top of the bookshelves on either side of the couch.  You can see both of them in the last picture, they are partly concealed by the picture frames. You can see the wires connecting to the left surround speaker on the right of that picture.  My original plan was to buy speaker mounts so I could get them to be a little higher, but as it turns out they seem to work great just sitting there. They are facing towards the couch and end up being about a foot behind your head when you're sitting.

post #8 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I think that room is 11'-12' wide.  The screen is 67" wide, so I think ideally we'd be sitting a couple of feet closer, but that's just how it worked out!

post #9 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 04:50 PM

Liked: 10
Looks like you are taking advantage of every inch of that space. Looks good.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-17-2014, 12:30 AM

Liked: 12

Looks really clean! Fantastic build and great use of every available inch. This is the sort of thing AVS needs more of

PebblesHD

Student at UTS (Computer Science)

Speakers: Rebuilt Onkyo S-510; Amplifier: Technics SA-GX130 (Placeholder for Yamaha M-4 and NAD 7020 Pre)

post #11 of 11 Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!  Yesterday night was 4th movie night in a row, so we're defintely putting it to good use! :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System , Onkyo Tx Nr525 5 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page