Ames, IA media room remodel - Cinema 1858 - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #151 of 173 Old 05-09-2019, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 540
A couple weeks ago, with the invaluable assistance of @ZLTFUL , I added a PLEX Media Server to my system. Currently loading my disc collection in with MakeMKV, but it has been working flawlessly at the moment, for disc playback.

The LiveTV/DVR functionality not so much. I bought one of the ClearStream TV tuners to use with my antenna, but it is a really weak tuner. It was reading a signal strength of 33% on pretty much all channels, when my TV and the old TiVo box had no problem locking in at 75-95%. Tried adding an amplifier to no avail.

So those are going back to amazon today and eventually I’ll try again with an HDHomeRun tuner. But now, most of our antenna stories are wrapping up for the season, so that will probably be put off until the fall.

But honestly, now that I’m using the PLEX server, I’m really glad I didn’t upgrade the Oppo to the Panasonic disc player. Because I would’ve gone with the $1000 Panasonic for the build quality over the plastic 820. Since adding the server, really the only source device I’m going to need regularly is the AppleTV 4K.

I’ve removed the Roku, the TiVo and the Ethernet switch from the rack (the switch got moved to the server closet). All that’s left is the power conditioner, processor, amp, Oppo, AppleTV and a drawer. I’m half considering offloading the Oppo while there’s still a strong market and resale value, but I want a physical media player, for when I need one, and there isn’t a cheap, nice, rack-mountable alternative, right?

Also of note, since selling out to Control4, NEEO has sent out a firmware “update” that seems to have served no real function other than to hobble all existing product in use, so I ordered a Harmony Elite the other day to replace it. I’m going to miss the quality of the NEEO. What a well-built, quality piece of gear it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Draden1, ZLTFUL, Ladeback and 2 others like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 173 Old 05-09-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Travis, Glad it is working great for you.
I know on the tuner side, some of the "supported" tuners aren't all that great but I hear the HD Homerun stuff typically works rather seamlessly.
That is the route I am going to be taking myself.

I am going to take a look tonight at the info you sent me about flashing the firmware on the other BD drives I have. It it works, that will give me a total of 6 4k friendly drives.
thrillcat likes this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #153 of 173 Old 05-09-2019, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Nice job on the server, hope it keeps working well. Sorry to hear about your remote, I liked it when you showed it to me.

All kinds of changes, cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 173 Old 05-17-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Went ahead yesterday and added an HD HomeRun. It was MUCH easier to setup than the previous unit I tried. Basically, I connected everything, went to a web page, clicked a link and it had already scanned channels. Everything was showing up except for Channel 5. Now, I used to work for Channel 5, and they barely exist anyway. But I ran to Best Buy and grabbed a signal amplifier, plugged it in, and voila, Channel no. 5.

By the way, even before the amplifier was added, the other channels were showing a 97-99% signal strength, compared to 33% on everything across the board on the ClearStream. BIG difference.

So I set up the DVR in Plex, which was just as simple as setting up the box. Recorded some stuff on various channels. Tried out the "remove commercials" feature, which worked brilliantly on syndicated stuff and the news in early prime, but not at all once we hit primetime. But the big thing is, it recorded everything I asked it to, from start to finish. Season passes are set. So I have cancelled DirecTV Now, effective in a few weeks, after Game of Thrones wraps up this weekend, until football season starts up again this fall. Might look at other options there, too. I'm watching less and less television in general, so paying for it isn't too attractive. I might just go back to the iTunes Season Pass option for American Horror Story and Fargo when they start up again.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #155 of 173 Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, and the Harmony Elite is fine. Nowhere near the build quality, fit and finish of the NEEO, but they haven't abandoned their customers, either. Software works. Some things I like better, some not as much. But it was easy to set up, and I was controlling the whole theater within about 30 minutes, everything working fine.

I can also get it set up so I can turn off the rest of the lights in the house from the theater once I start a movie, so that will be nice.

The Sony UBP-X800 arrived. I've got that in the rack and running. Works fine. Oppo is for sale.

post #156 of 173 Old 05-27-2019, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

After some research, I realized my AppleTV 4Ks are not giving me lossless audio from MKVs in PLEX.

AppleTV - passes Dolby Vision, but not lossless audio
Nvidia Shield - passes lossless audio (DTSMA and TrueHD), but not Dolby Vision

Well, the theater is a projector, so I put a Shield in there tonight. And the other devices are connected to UHD TVs with no sound systems, so Dolby Vision and lossy audio via AppleTV 4K is good there.

Probably the most inexpensive "fix" yet. I still prefer everything else about the AppleTV, but lossy audio was a non-starter in the theater.

post #157 of 173 Old 07-14-2019, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Progress!

post #158 of 173 Old 07-21-2019, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I just need to get some touchup paint for the zinc screw heads I used for the horns and a couple spots on the cabs, but the eD surrounds are complete.

And until I get them mounted, I have some floor wedge monitors if I wanted to have Mini KISS play a show here.

post #159 of 173 Old 07-21-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

And they’re up. Levels set, but I have to reinstall Dirac on my new laptop before I can re run that. They sound good, though. Much more definition and precision out of the surrounds. Instead of stuff going on behind me, there’s stuff going on RIGHT THERE!

post #160 of 173 Old 07-28-2019, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ran Dirac a bit ago. Played through some of the clips I’ve been using to evaluate.

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO BUILD THESE?!?!?

Such a difference. The Mission served me well for what I paid, and they really did a nice job, but there’s no comparison. At all.

Now some Tour de France while I pack up the mic and equipment.

Wow.

NickTheGreat and CrusherW9 like this.

post #161 of 173 Old 09-17-2019, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

And with that, it begins.

As my job search in California gets more interesting, it’s time to start prepping to move. The second row just went bye-bye.

This will make it easier to dismantle the riser. Then, once I’ve accepted a job and I’m ready to officially list the house, I’ll pull the equipment, since I’m not selling it.

And then it will (eventually) be time for a new build thread!

post #162 of 173 Old 09-18-2019, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Ruh-roh! Are you trying to be out before Winter? Maybe another movie night or music session before you’re gone?
post #163 of 173 Old 09-18-2019, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Ruh-roh! Are you trying to be out before Winter? Maybe another movie night or music session before you’re gone?

Hoping to be, but there are still hurdles to jump. I just want to be ready to be out quickly when it happens. I don’t want to get stuck trying to figure out how to get rid of stuff I don’t want to move, all while trying to line up accommodations out west at the same time.

We could still look at doing another night before I’m gone. And who knows, it could be another year before something locks up. I’m hoping for another 6 weeks.

post #164 of 173 Old 09-18-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Sad to see you go, happy for you!
thrillcat likes this.
post #165 of 173 Old 11-14-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ames, IA media room remodel - Cinema 1858

Well, the XMC-1 is being replaced (FS if anyone is interested - still under warranty, has the V3 HDMI 2.0b board upgrade, so you could use it for a trade in on one of their new processors).

Anthem AVM-60 is on the way. I’ll get to set it up in my current room for a more accurate comparison of the two.

Last edited by thrillcat; 11-14-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #166 of 173 Old 11-14-2019, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Well, the XMC-1 is being replaced (FS if anyone is interested - still under warranty, has the V3 HDMI 2.0b board upgrade, so you could use it for a trade in on one of their new processors).

Anthem AVM-60 is on the way. I’ll get to set it up in my current room for a more accurate comparison of the two.

The RMC bugs scare you off?
post #167 of 173 Old 11-21-2019, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

There’s a new sheriff in town...

post #168 of 173 Old 11-21-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

How does the mic situation work with ARC? Does Anthem supply a mic that is worth a crap or can you use your own?
post #169 of 173 Old 11-21-2019, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How does the mic situation work with ARC? Does Anthem supply a mic that is worth a crap or can you use your own?

They supply a good mic (pretty similar to the Dirac mic) and they even include a nice, heavy duty mic stand.

post #170 of 173 Old 11-22-2019, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

post #171 of 173 Old 11-23-2019, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

So have you been able to run ARC yet? Is it tweakable like Dirac? And most importantly, are you impressed with the sound? I know it’s hard to impossible to give a direct comparison to Dirac but...
post #172 of 173 Old 11-23-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So have you been able to run ARC yet? Is it tweakable like Dirac? And most importantly, are you impressed with the sound? I know it’s hard to impossible to give a direct comparison to Dirac but...

I haven’t yet. I’m hoping this weekend I’ll have time to track down a long ethernet cable or a WiFi workaround, as yet I haven’t had a ton of time to get it connected to the network. I was going to run it last night but Wilco wanted to watch a movie and then I discovered that the WiFi in my theater wasn’t going to cut it in the current config.

But so far, I love the sound. I thought the sound of the XMC1 was great, it was the quirks that weren’t going to be addressed that drove me away (I fell for that twice with the UMC200 and XMC1, not going there again). The Anthem, pre-ARC, sounds a little chesty, but I’m sure that will be an easy fix with ARC.

And you can limit the adjusted frequency range with ARC Genesis. I never paid for the Dirac upgrade, so I’ve never had that option. This doesn’t require any extra money to unlock features.

I’m already impressed. Will be doing a full review and video for AVNirvana eventually so for more details you’ll have to go there.

post #173 of 173 Old 11-24-2019, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Will be doing a full review and video for AVNirvana eventually so for more details you’ll have to go there.
Huh, I’m not following? I am a bit of a simpleton though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Marantz Sr5005 Audio Video Receiver Black , Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page