Brooks Basement HT Build - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 12-04-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
FINISHED!!! (mostly) AND PHOTOS!!!

FINISHED!!! (mostly) PHOTOS!!! Our 80% Theater / 20% Family Room is now basically done. I still have a couple of minor things to complete such as staining one of the built-ins and building a cabinet door for another. It took around 8 months from start to finish... quite a bit longer than I originally anticipated. But most of the finishing touches were DIY, and my busy schedule only allowed so much progress at a time. We also lost about a month when we discovered the steel post during demolition and had to engineer a new header beam so we could remove the column.

But we've already been enjoying the room and have clocked several movies. We're very happy with the picture quality, and while my wife was worried at first that the screen would be too large, it already feels very "normal" and I couldn't imagine it being any smaller. I'm also glad we stuck with darker/flatter paints because I've seen for myself how important it is to eliminate ambient light. We used black for all trim, medium grey for the walls, and brushed suede for the ceiling (which looks awesome!). The carpet is medium grey as well. We still have to replace our aging sectional which is a dark olive color and doesn't really go well in the new room.

I had enough rope light left over to do lots of extra things. I added some behind the screen to add some nice glow to the wall panelling.

I had built-ins installed on both sides of the stairs, creating an equipment closet in between them. My gear is mounted to a MidAtlantic slim-5 rack.

There are a few things I'd do differently:

1. LED rope light was very economical, as one spool of 150' more than covered all our needs. However, the light in the soffits isn't very smooth or even, as you'll see in some of the photos.
2. I would add more light to the stairwell. We were already over budget with the unexpected structural work, so I stuck with only hand-rail soffit light. It's perfectly adequate to see your way down the steps, but the stairwell is still too dark.
3. I would change some of the dimensions for our cubbies. For example, I sized 3 cubbies to fit existing media binders, but my wife wanted to change to linear note binders that had room for DVD labels and I found that all of these are too large for the space we built.
4. I would probably use different puck lights for the soffits. We went 100% LED, but the puck lights we used have several diodes in them and they don't produce the nice cone of light I was hoping for. A single diode light would no doubt be better. Our main can lights have this and they produce very pleasing light.

For the most part, though, we are extremely happy with our new space!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_028.jpg
Views:	1401
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	402554   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_041.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	402562   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_037.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	402570   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_035.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	402578   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_034.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	402586  

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_031.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	402594   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_022.jpg
Views:	1702
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	402602   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_021.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	402610   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_020.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	402618   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_019.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	402626  

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_018.jpg
Views:	1277
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	402634   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_017.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	402642   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_015.jpg
Views:	1555
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	402650   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_008.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	402658   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_006.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	402666  

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_005.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	402674   Click image for larger version

Name:	106rosehill-theater-finished_20141127_003.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	402682  
Tedd and soundemon like this.

Last edited by porpie; 12-04-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: wanted to show some photos a little better than just the thumbnails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 12-04-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, the finished room looks unbelievable! Very nice job. Really digging the mirror black Legrand plates/switches. I ended up going with all white plates/switches for my home renovation, can't wait to get them in.

Did you end up getting the adorne wireless dimmers working with the Harmony remote?
post #33 of 49 Old 12-05-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 2040 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quite the dramatic transformation! Lots of beautiful detailing to the space.

Any plans to raise to raise the center channel off the floor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 12-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Agreed on both of these. Excellent looking room and any plan to raise or at least tilt up the center.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #35 of 49 Old 12-05-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Great job

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #36 of 49 Old 12-05-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmassaro View Post
Wow, the finished room looks unbelievable! Very nice job. Really digging the mirror black Legrand plates/switches. I ended up going with all white plates/switches for my home renovation, can't wait to get them in.

Did you end up getting the adorne wireless dimmers working with the Harmony remote?
Thanks, Vinmassaro! Yes, the Legrand Adorne switches/plates are really nice. They happened to fit perfectly with the very contemporary style of the room. We did all the trim, cabinet pulls, door handles, etc. in straight lines, square edges. The Adorne plates continue that style perfectly, and the gloss finish is absolutely gorgeous. (It had better be for the ridiculous price they cost!)

Regarding the wireless dimmers... I have not yet worked them in. I purchased a new Harmony Ultimate to replace my 900, but the way I understand it, the RF protocol that the Adorne dimmers uses is proprietary and won't work with Harmony RF. However... Legrand makes an IR to RF bridge that should work with their dimmers and that should be workable with Harmony by having the remote learn the IR commands. I have to wait a bit longer for the financial dust to settle before dropping $350 on something as trivial as an IR bridge though. :-( There's no reason why that should cost so much, but it is what it is.
post #37 of 49 Old 12-05-2014, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Thanks, Tedd! Yes, I do want to raise the center channel, and in fact it was raised about 2 months ago.... I purchased a very sturdy speaker shelf that did the job fairly nicely:

Peerless Shelf

The problem is that I hadn't properly planned the framing and the low voltage boxes for my L/C/R interconnects which ended up being too close to dead center under the screen. This left me no room to mount the shelf perfectly center. It was also a stupid oversight to not have the framers put in a cross stud where I could mount the shelf. (I should add this to my list of things I'd do differently next time.)

The end result was that I mounted the shelf anyway using hefty drywall anchors, and it actually held the shelf and speaker just fine.... until a visitor's 13-yr-old kid fell and landed on the speaker, tearing the shelf out of the wall. I sort of knew this would happen eventually anyway (we have a baby that will someday soon be walking and I'm sure would see that as a perfect place to sit), so I decided not to replace the shelf. I had to do some patchwork and repaint. Now I need to find a small floor stand instead, or possibly try to build something.
post #38 of 49 Old 12-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great looking room Porpie! You can tell it's very well thought out. I've enjoyed following your progress.

I'm confused too.

post #39 of 49 Old 12-05-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Yea the room looks great! I too have to get my cc off the floor but I'm in limbo on that until I figure out my screen size and just how high I can go with it. I may end up just building something myself custom will see. Also now in my room i'm regretting not adding in some electric up high to add some crown and some up lighting around the perimeter of my main ceiling. My brother in law is going to be in town in a few weeks so I may see with his help how touch it would be to do this after the fact. I have access to the utility room so I could rig it. Will see. Again nice work on the build! Looks very high end.
post #40 of 49 Old 12-08-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Also now in my room i'm regretting not adding in some electric up high to add some crown and some up lighting around the perimeter of my main ceiling. My brother in law is going to be in town in a few weeks so I may see with his help how touch it would be to do this after the fact. I have access to the utility room so I could rig it.
Indirect light from a suspended crown is a great way to be able to add a little ambient light to the room without directly affecting the screen. Bear in mind that you really only need one access point up high to provide this. For me, I used rope light (which I don't actually fully recommend because it cast an uneven wash) and all I needed to do was drill a 1/2" hole into my electrical closet where I had the circuit setup for the crown. I simply ran the rope through the hole and then around the crown. I had enough extra rope, I did the same thing under the toe kick of my cabinets. So no real electrical installed down there... just had to run a few extra feet of rope from the circuit in the closet down and through another 1/2" hole I drilled in the corner of the toe kick.
post #41 of 49 Old 12-08-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

General forum sort of question... one thing that is frustrating to me is to look through a build thread to find the one or two posts that shows the key photos. There are often hundreds of posts that are just conversational and it would be great for the OP to be able to make a post or two sticky... the key milestone posts with photos. I'd like to make a final full summary post for my build thread with the plans, before, during, and after photos. But it will likely just get lost in the middle at some point. I've seen some people create several posts at the beginning, labeling them "reserved #1 , reserved #2 , etc." I'm assuming this is how they can go back months later and update these first few posts to show these key milestones? Is that the only way to do it? If so, I missed that strategy from the start.
post #42 of 49 Old 12-08-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea I could probably do it easy enough. Maybe I'll use tape light and then I can use a remote with it and control the dimming effect as well as turn it on and off. I'm not going to worry about it now but this maybe something down the road I do. Thanks for the info!
post #43 of 49 Old 12-08-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porpie View Post
General forum sort of question... one thing that is frustrating to me is to look through a build thread to find the one or two posts that shows the key photos. There are often hundreds of posts that are just conversational and it would be great for the OP to be able to make a post or two sticky... the key milestone posts with photos. I'd like to make a final full summary post for my build thread with the plans, before, during, and after photos. But it will likely just get lost in the middle at some point. I've seen some people create several posts at the beginning, labeling them "reserved #1 , reserved #2 , etc." I'm assuming this is how they can go back months later and update these first few posts to show these key milestones? Is that the only way to do it? If so, I missed that strategy from the start.
I as well.

I suppose we can make a whole new thread and link the main build for people to go through if they felt like seeing everything.
porpie likes this.
post #44 of 49 Old 12-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 115
This is an awesome looking room! Very nice!
post #45 of 49 Old 12-08-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, @ch1sox !

Hey @redjr , are you still in the area? Still working on your project?
post #46 of 49 Old 01-11-2015, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
what type of screen do you have and are you loving those def tech surrounds?
post #47 of 49 Old 01-12-2015, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hard work payed off! Subscribed and looking forward to re-reading this transformation! Love the layout, and colors choices, very slick looking man congrats! Jim
post #48 of 49 Old 01-13-2015, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtate View Post
what type of screen do you have and are you loving those def tech surrounds?
The screen is an Elite Screen Sable 120" 2.4 aspect ratio. I had originally planned to get a Carada screen, but we ran into structural problems that sucked a few extra thousand dollars out of our budget. So I had to scale a few things back and the Elite Screen was less than half the cost of the Carada. The room has 100% ambient light control though, and I feel that in our situation the Elite looks terrific.

I've been happy with Def Tech for several years now. The surrounds don't particularly stand out in my system, but then again, surrounds aren't supposed to. They seem to have just the right amount of presence, and the in-wall installation is very clean.
post #49 of 49 Old 01-13-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
Hard work payed off! Subscribed and looking forward to re-reading this transformation! Love the layout, and colors choices, very slick looking man congrats! Jim
Many thanks, Jim! It was definitely a learning experience in more ways than one... not only my first home theater, but also my first significant renovation. I tried doing as much of it myself as I could manage, and this was a growing experience as well for a guy who's definitely more comfortable handling a keyboard and mouse than handling a hammer.

I still want to post a recap and some additional photos. Wish I had reserved a post at the beginning of this thread so it would be easier to find. Too bad there isn't a way to make a particular post within a thread sticky. :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Promonitor 800 Bookshelf Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Cambridge Soundworks Subwoofer Basscube 85

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page