Archaea's multi-purpose Home Theater room - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 913Likes

post #2011 of 2039 Old 02-10-2019, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 2075
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
Can you trim the chair legs for the first row?
Bring on the plasma torch!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2039 Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 575 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 3360
Quote:
Can you trim the chair legs for the first row?
At first I thought you were kidding, but the more I think on this --- it might be feasible.
I don't have any welding equipment, but my neighbor does. (retired engineer).

If I could trim 4"-5" off the legs in the front row, and have a new base plate welded on it'd make a world of difference for feasibility. (you'll notice in the picture that I had to temporarily affix wooden feet extenders because the metal base feet are meant to be screwed or bolted into the riser tier'ing. The chairs won't stand on their own when you lean back without the additional front to back baseplate support. I don't want to drill into my concrete because my basement has formerly had a water problem that I've fixed externally, but I don't want to damage the concrete because I don't trust that there isn't water underneath the house in the spring, and I don't want that water seeping up through any holes or cracks I might make in the concrete. So I was thinking I'd use a couple long boards or a long rectangular piece of MDF as a final mounting solution - if I keep the chairs. However, shortening the chairs and welding on long stable new base plate feet on the front row, and then screwing the rear row/s into a riser setup might work as well. I could even use my thee Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d subwoofers as nearfield subs for the front row and as feet rests for the second row. The second row ?and third row? could then be built into a huge riser/subwoofer box with more subs in use for tactile feel.

I just have to decide if all of this is worth the effort or not. Also another negative I've been wresting with is that at least annually I host a big 14-16 person LAN party. It's a long running tradition. I've done it for many years. If I have 8 or 12 non movable seats in my basement with permanent theater seat tier'ing, that's going to put a kink in that tradition. I traditionally can reformat the room to put me and 15 of my closest LAN party buddies in my basement for a weekend long PC gaming binge. (it's as much a time to reconnect with old buddies, as play games - you know how these things go - but it's fun and my buddies all love it too.)

That'll party would have to be moved elsewhere - maybe upstairs? Thinking........

@chirpie , do you have your seats figured out for your new theater space? Do you you want to come over and demo these chairs and see if you like them? Take the decision/project, out of my hands - since I'm finding myself torn on the whole thing?

I think these would be great for a full height tiered cinema setup like dlbeck has, or what you are in the process of designing. No pressure of course if you don't like them, or planned a different seating direction. Just something to consider. 12 seats, in excellent shape, for my cost. If you didn't want all 12, I have a couple co-workers who want to buy just one or two each.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | Panasonic PT-AE8000U projector | Jamestown 144" AT 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 02-11-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #2013 of 2039 Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I think this may be a case of "not leaving well-enough alone". I do it all the time. Maybe find something else to tinker with, upgrade-wise?
Archaea likes this.

Shane
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell
- The Unemployment Basement Project -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 2039 Old 02-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
At first I thought you were kidding, but the more I think on this --- it might be feasible.

I don't have any welding equipment, but my neighbor does. (retired engineer).

If I could trim 4"-5" off the legs in the front row, and have a new base plate welded on it'd make a world of difference for feasibility. (you'll notice in the picture that I had to temporarily affix wooden feet extenders because the metal base feet are meant to be screwed or bolted into the riser tier'ing. The chairs won't stand on their own when you lean back without the additional front to back baseplate support. I don't want to drill into my concrete because my basement has formerly had a water problem that I've fixed externally, but I don't want to damage the concrete because I don't trust that there isn't water underneath the house in the spring, and I don't want that water seeping up through any holes or cracks I might make in the concrete. So I was thinking I'd use a couple long boards or a long rectangular piece of MDF as a final mounting solution - if I keep the chairs. However, shortening the chairs and welding on long stable new base plate feet on the front row, and then screwing the rear row/s into a riser setup might work as well. I could even use my thee Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d subwoofers as nearfield subs for the front row and as feet rests for the second row. The second row ?and third row? could then be built into a huge riser/subwoofer box with more subs in use for tactile feel.

I just have to decide if all of this is worth the effort or not. Also another negative I've been wresting with is that at least annually I host a big 14-16 person LAN party. It's a long running tradition. I've done it for many years. If I have 8 or 12 non movable seats in my basement with permanent theater seat tier'ing, that's going to put a kink in that tradition. I traditionally can reformat the room to put me and 15 of my closest LAN party buddies in my basement for a weekend long PC gaming binge. (it's as much a time to reconnect with old buddies, as play games - you know how these things go - but it's fun and my buddies all love it too.)

That'll party would have to be moved elsewhere - maybe upstairs? Thinking........

@chirpie , do you have your seats figured out for your new theater space? Do you you want to come over and demo these chairs and see if you like them? Take the decision/project, out of my hands - since I'm finding myself torn on the whole thing?

I think these would be great for a full height tiered cinema setup like dlbeck has, or what you are in the process of designing. No pressure of course if you don't like them, or planned a different seating direction. Just something to consider. 12 seats, in excellent shape, for my cost. If you didn't want all 12, I have a couple co-workers who want to buy just one or two each.

Just passing through, but before you cut anything off I’d recommend you try and test fit 4-5” off the bottom. Stack something up to provide a higher “floor” and sit in the chair. You may be surprised how much a handful of inches impacts the sitting experience or comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2015 of 2039 Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Bring on the plasma torch!!!!!

Man, I was selling everything last year that I hadn’t touched in months, and the plasma cutter was one of the casualties. I needed it several times in just a month or 2. Go figure! Now, exothermic torch? Yessssssss violence!
popalock likes this.
post #2016 of 2039 Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Not joking at all, but thinking more of using cutoff disks. Cheap and fast. Good idea above on stacking some stuff up to make sure you don’t feel like you’re sitting on the floor
post #2017 of 2039 Old 02-12-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Wish I could bail ya out but after the briefest conversation of all time with the wife it got nixed for two main reasons...

1 - The foot rest is mandatory for her. Like, she'll drive to another theater if there isn't a foot rest and the chair doesn't recline far enough back. She would literally rather go to Leawood AMC Prime over Olathe AMC Prime for this reason alone. (Olathe doesn't recline as far back.)

2 - There's also a mandatory request for a loveseat config in the seating. Right now we're designing for an eventual 10 seats. First row - 3, second row - 3, third row - 4 (love seat in middle)

All the best man, I'm just a slow boat over here with my construction. O_o
Archaea likes this.
post #2018 of 2039 Old 02-20-2019, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Archaea's multi-purpose Home Theater room

First, I really enjoy these JBL speakers. I've been working from home a lot more lately and may move to a full time work from home setup this quarter. It's fantastic to have such a good audio system at my disposal every day when I'm not on a conference call. I'm constantly listening to/enjoying Pandora. So great! The CBT speakers sound fantastic anywhere in the room, and that includes my desk that's off to the side of the room. They sound significantly better than the Mackies for music IMO. @stitch1 pegged it as less the "live" sound as compared to the compression drivers in the Mackies, but I've concluded in my listening it's a more accurate, neutral sound. Anyway, they are hitting the spot for me, and I've moved past any reservation (price being the biggest because I always thought they were better than the Mackie - but were they worth the significant uptick in cost?) Since I'm spending my workdays down here now the answer is more easily a clear yes.

Second, I bought a Lasko Pro squirrel cage fan to try a 4D effect in the theater with wind movement on the lowest frequencies. I need to learn how to setup the electronics. I've created a thread in the DIY section for some assistance with that. The fan is incredible powerful for it's size and spins up fast. I think it's a good match for my intent if I can figure out the electronics. This will be a fun side project to figure out. If it works I'll buy a second fan and flank my front row of subwoofers with them. Cheesy? yes. (so is a 13 speaker, 8 subwoofer setup with 12 AMC movie seats, ha this hobby has already spiraled way out of the realm of normal - why not have wind effects too?) Entertaining? yes. Isn't that the point? You don't understand why I'd want that? Well then, clearly you never owned JTR Captivator subwoofers.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...iscussion.html

Third, an update on the seats. I have six assembled. I've watched multiple movies in them now and they are plenty comfortable. I'm still trying to figure out how to make them work. I've gradually raised the temporary test riser in the back up to 12". It's still not enough. I went to Sheldon's ( @carp ) on Monday and spent an hour or two with him visiting. His room is 2" taller than mine and he has a 14" riser, but no HVAC drop down in the way. (which loses another 8" for me in that area. 89" ceiling height, 81" HVAC drop down height). His riser is probably as tall as is reasonable in our similar height rooms. So really three rows probably isn't feasible. Cause the rear row would need to be like 30" tall on a riser and since my ceiling is 89" that only leaves about 60" of height. 5 foot height to load the seats? silly!

So two rows it is with these chairs in this room.

The way I see it I have more or less these options:

WHAT'S YOUR VOTE?

A) Use 8 AMC theater seats in two rows. Make a 12" riser for the second row, encourage short people to sit in the front on movie nights. 89" - 12" = 77" ceiling height over riser (6'5") Build subs into the riser for tactile feedback.

B) Use my 4 brown leather seats and 4 AMC theater seats. Original leather seats up front and 6" inch riser for second row would be absolutely fine. In fact, the brown leather original seats I had recline so far down you can see over them perfectly fine without any height raise at all on the AMC movie seats (if the brown recliners are all the way reclined). Most everyone reclines for a movie - so that shouldn't be a problem to just have a 6" or 8" riser with subs built into the riser for tactile feedback. 89" - 6" = 83" ceiling height over riser (6'11" ceiling height over riser)

C) Use 8 AMC theater seats in two rows. Cut a few inches off the feet on the front row AMC chairs and put new feet on them, make a 10" or 12" riser for the rear row. Back to 77" (6'5" or maybe 6'7") ceiling height over the riser, but without the problem of trying to herd shorter people to sit in the front row seats. I'm going to ask my neighbor with the welding skills today what he thinks about the cutting option. Subs built into the riser for tactile feedback of course. The lower seat height in the front row wouldn't matter a lick for comfort. I watched a movie using a 6" footstool and it was still plenty comfortable on the seating height.

D) Reroll the project - sell all 12 chairs on facebook marketplace or craigslist after I get them all wired back up, and cleaned up, - probably pulling a little profit, and go a different direction at some point in the future.

Current Pics:

12" raise for test seats in second row. If I'm sitting in the front row at 6'3" my wife who is 5'5" can't see the whole screen with the 12" rise - so it needs more - maybe 4" more. Perhaps 16" riser would do it. 89"-16" = 73" Lame -- I'm 75" tall. I'd have to duck to sit myself in the second row? meh....... Alternately - this 12' config works fine for me with my wife in the front row, so there could be a bit of soft rule that shorter people sit in the front seats on movie nights when all chairs are needed.

Picture from standing under the projector with the 12" rise on the rear row.

Far right chair in first row is reclined to max. chair next to it is full height. Not much difference - maybe a couple inches. It's more comfortable than 2" sound, because the lowering is more of a rotation. Think cradling a baby, so your butt rotates forward, sort of like a circular slide into a cradle position where gravity feels different/better.

Random other pic showing hvac height compared to current 12" raise of second row.

Picture of the AMC chair legs - not so simple as a straight cut, it's got that curved metal support in there two that would have to be accounted for. Not a problem for a skilled welder I'm sure, just not exactly a clean straight cut. The little strips of wood are there simply to make the foot longer/deeper until I figure out what I'm doing so the chairs are more stable in temporary use.

Picture showing how much lower the brown chairs recline relative to the red AMC chairs.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | Panasonic PT-AE8000U projector | Jamestown 144" AT 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 02-20-2019 at 12:26 PM.
post #2019 of 2039 Old 02-20-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Might skip the wielding and look to "bolt in" some steel, side to side. Or maybe even hardwood, which would let you tie everything together, and then
make some cuts. Those lower angles could be secured with an angled piece of wood or steel, and everything tied together. Wood might be easiest and
you could also create an L piece, that could bolt to the back of the leg.

You also could simply eliminate the metal shoe, and go with longer wood there, fi you aren't lagging those seats into the concrete.

Might just be me, but I sure do seem to get a lot of home theater related use out of a $15 Harbor Freight 4" angle grinder. That thing has cut down av racks,
allowed me to make some rack custom parts, and cut down a cheap eBay score of a NOS 4:3 Draper horizontal screen masking system.
Archaea likes this.
post #2020 of 2039 Old 02-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I would be asking myself "Am I IN LOVE with these seats?" Or was it a cool find that I'm trying to make work for the cool factor? Not saying you don't love them and shouldn't keep them! Just seems like a lot of work for something if you aren't in love with them though. Especially if you say you can turn a profit most likely when trying to sell them. You could put that towards seats you really loved and wouldn't need to do any modifications to besides building a riser.

For the record, I thought your brown seats were comfy, but I haven't sat in the red ones either The easier option sounds like keeping the brown chairs, using the red as a second row, and then possibly selling some of the red chairs you didn't use to make some money back?
Archaea likes this.

Blister64 Full Basement Build Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva LPA-1 (Currently Fried) | DIY Sound Group Ported 1299 TMWW Front Stage | DIY SG Volt 10 Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Dayton Ultimax 15 | Crown XPS1000
Living Room Duty- DIY Swope TMWW LCR
Currently Building- (3) Stereo Integrity HS-24 mkiii's
post #2021 of 2039 Old 02-20-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 186
@Archaea How is the in-room dispersion of the atmos ceiling speakers in practice? The tight vertical directivity from the datasheet makes it look like a poor candidate to be mounted as you have done due to space limitations but I'm definitely intrigued by CBT's otherwise to mitigate SPL variation for surrounds in my narrow room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.38.49 AM.png
Views:	28
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	2528680  
post #2022 of 2039 Old 02-20-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 646 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked: 3108
If it were me I'd go brown seats in the front, new sets in the second row - but - I know it's more important to you to have matching seats than it would be for me. I don't think I can part with the comfort of a traditional HT seat that fully reclines with a foot rest.

As jjcook says, if you do really love the seats and would rather sit in then than your brown seats then look into the cutting down the front row idea some more. Make SURE that you put up something in front of seats that simulates what the floor level will be like to have the front row chairs closer to the ground. That could be really important.
post #2023 of 2039 Old 02-20-2019, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
@Archaea How is the in-room dispersion of the atmos ceiling speakers in practice? The tight vertical directivity from the datasheet makes it look like a poor candidate to be mounted as you have done due to space limitations but I'm definitely intrigued by CBT's otherwise to mitigate SPL variation for surrounds in my narrow room.

Only one guy on this forum has yet heard them for Atmos duty besides myself...
@stitch1 , Mind sharing your thoughts on the JBL as I have them arranged as ceiling speakers.

———-

My personal opinion is that the all matching speakers are easy to validate and as Atmos objects move anywhere in my theater they truly sound the same. My brown seats where 4 seats wide, but offset from the screen to give me a true center seat. The center brown seat headrest when reclined was truly center between all four ceiling speakers at head position. Within 2” inches on all four speakers distance settings according to Audyssey’s last run. (I ran the calibration in 7.2.4 first and positioned my chair, until it was that close then bridged the left pair and the right pair of ceiling speakers to a pair of crown xls-402 amplifier channels and reran the calibration in 9.2.2 setup. So the pairs are set as a single pair of top middle until I buy an AVR that truly supports 13 channels (instead of 11 like my Denon x7200wa). Anyway, they angle towards the center seat and are easily in plane to hear everything in the center seat. See pic for a reference. All that to say there is no gap subjectively, and in my opinion Atmos demos and tracks now sound the best Ive had in my room by a good margin with this 9.2.2 AVR setup. Even significantly better ceiling sound over my 7.2.4 Mackie setup — despite the loss of four discrete ceiling channels. I think wides are more important/fun in my room than four ceiling channels after playing back and forth.

I’m not in any rush to get a 13 channel AVR for the sole purpose of getting an additional 2 discrete ceiling speakers at current pricing (>=$3k) given that testing experience. Maybe I’ll reconsider when HDMI 2.1 is released officially and there is a secondary benefit.

From directly behind the center seat looking up

Looking at the right front ceiling speaker seated in MLP

Looking at the left front ceiling speaker seated in MPL

Yes my former Sony in-wall speakers are still there. I need to buy a couple more ceiling tiles and pull them out. (Minimum tile purchase is 16- so I’ve not made it a high priority and they aren’t really hurting anything for now)

Also if I keep this AMC theater seating the front row will probably be a bit forward of the old seating. Thus the front pair of ceiling speakers relative to the front row will be pretty similar to the rear ceiling and row. That sounds perfectly acceptable to me too in my last few nights of demoing.

jjcook likes this.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-20-2019 at 12:22 PM.
post #2024 of 2039 Old 02-20-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
My vote is "B". I have sat in both seats and like the idea of having your regular recliners up front an 4 of the AMC seats in the second row. You could probably still use the church pew at the back with this set up. I like your brown seats the best of the two, but the AMC seats would fine for a movie night or two.

That's my 2 cents. You could have a movie night in them and see what other think. What's your wife think?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #2025 of 2039 Old 02-20-2019, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
What's your wife think?
My wife thinks I've lost my mind buying these seats, but then what else is new?

She doesn't really care what I do down here, and I can't even get her to give me an opinion on the seats save this --- she said she thinks every upgrade I've done in the last couple years (acoustic foam, JBL speakers, AMC chairs) looks cosmetically worse than what I had before. But she specifically said she thinks the JBL speakers are ugly compared to the Mackie ( I wholly disagree), so I am forced to discount her opinion on these matters.
dgage and Randy Bessinger like this.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-20-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #2026 of 2039 Old 02-20-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:

She doesn't really care what I do down here, and I can't even get her to give me an opinion on the seats save this --- she said she thinks every upgrade I've done in the last couple years (acoustic foam, JBL speakers, AMC chairs) looks cosmetically worse than what I had before. But she specifically said she thinks the JBL speakers are ugly compared to the Mackie ( I holly disagree), so I am forced to discount her opinion on these matters.
LOL! My wife is kind of the same way, except when it comes to spending a lot of money on things for the theater or basement. She ok on getting the AMC seats and it was up to me if I wanted them. As you know I didn't bid on them. I want chairs like your brown ones for my room. Good luck on your decision on which way to go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Archaea likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #2027 of 2039 Old 02-22-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 646 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked: 3108
Quote:

She doesn't really care what I do down here, and I can't even get her to give me an opinion on the seats save this --- she said she thinks every upgrade I've done in the last couple years (acoustic foam, JBL speakers, AMC chairs) looks cosmetically worse than what I had before. But she specifically said she thinks the JBL speakers are ugly compared to the Mackie ( I wholly disagree), so I am forced to discount her opinion on these matters.

The JBL's, especially with the lights on, looks so much better to me it's not even a contest.
post #2028 of 2039 Old 02-27-2019, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane661 View Post
I think this may be a case of "not leaving well-enough alone". I do it all the time. Maybe find something else to tinker with, upgrade-wise?

I think you nailed it. I decided I didn't want to cut up the chairs without assurance it would end okay, potentially lose my current nearfield sub experience for my front row, nor have a 14"-16" riser that would allow people (myself) to bump their head on my short ceilings. (89"-16" = 73" ceiling height )

Plus the concern of losing my currently very arrangeable space permanently -- in light of my annual 16 person LAN party I host in my theater room space started to eat at me. (happenstance, recently a couple friends were talking about how much they enjoy it and are looking forward to it again this summer -- I was considering if I would just lower it to like 10 people cap instead of 16? Or open up a second room for two smaller play areas? Nope! too much fun with everyone in the same room!) Once those chairs got bolted down to a big heavy riser they aren't going to be easily moved for a weekend.

So, after quite a bit of consideration, I sold the chairs on Facebook market place. They sold in less than 24 hours - all 12 of them to one buyer who lives about an hour away, I had another guy named Jeffery, from Omaha tell me if my deal fell through he too wanted all 12, (he said he knew @W00lly from the Omaha gang) and I had several interested parties in smaller breakout lots. The family that purchased them is going to be building a pretty cool home theater it sounds like. They have the room, but haven't put everything else together yet. They will use two rows of six seats and the room is custom built with sloped flooring and tiered seating rows. They were shopping for seats so they could then pick out the carpet color and start of finish the room.

The seats will match their room's physical dimensions and tiered setup much better than mine. If I had a bigger/different room, I absolutely would have kept these. The comfort was great to me. I loved the seat warmers. I'd have no problem having these seats in any theater I put together.

The new owners pick up the chairs this Sunday, after looking at them last night. After I gave his family a little short demo, the dad was gleaming ear to ear and seemed genuinely impressed -- he half jokingly asked if he could hire me to calibrate/setup his system when he got all the parts. I told him I'd be happy to help him set it up/calibrate for no more cost because I love that part of our hobby!

Thanks for the feedback to all.
chirpie, carp, femi and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-27-2019 at 05:41 PM.
post #2029 of 2039 Old 03-01-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Only one guy on this forum has yet heard them for Atmos duty besides myself...
@stitch1 , Mind sharing your thoughts on the JBL as I have them arranged as ceiling speakers.
Sure, they are by far the best setup I have heard to this point for Atmos. I think it's the front wides that make the biggest difference.
Archaea likes this.
post #2030 of 2039 Old 03-02-2019, 10:50 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm pretty sure the real reason you got rid of the seats is because you were worried about me not having a foot rest. Thank you for keeping my comfort at #1 .
Archaea likes this.
post #2031 of 2039 Old 03-03-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the real reason you got rid of the seats is because you were worried about me not having a foot rest. Thank you for keeping my comfort at #1 .
These might be a better fit for the front or back row. I have new old stock Berkline’s like yours bought two months ago, so I have a feel for your configuration. These might be a better front option especially for your near field subs as well as a place for remotes and iPad(which I sorely miss). Then a 10ft x 5ft x 8in riser in the back that you can make movable for events, that would fit the berklines. It seems that all of your designs have been catered to a comfortable inviting feel, but now your trying to emulate the Prime Theater. I have a feeling as nice as the theater seats where that the berkline and these listed would be more comfortable and still remain semi portable. By the way, the room looks and I can only assume sounds fantastic.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/fu...830684528.html

Marantz 7702mkII, Sunfire TGA 7201 (bed), Rotel rmb 1077 (atmos)
7x Niles phd-42, 3x Seaton Submersive HP 4x Niles 850 hd
Epson 5030ub, Stewart 106 G3 Firehawk, Oppo 203, Darbee
Richard Gray RP1200pro, Monster HTS 3650
post #2032 of 2039 Old 03-12-2019, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

The new owner of the AMC theater seats got them installed this week in the theater space he is building and sent me some pictures. It’s gonna be fantastic!

His room is very wide and this is a lot better fit for them than my room was. The six chairs are nearly 17 foot wide per row. His room has enough space to put nice sized isles on each side. They found a good home!
chirpie, carp, dgage and 2 others like this.

post #2033 of 2039 Old 03-12-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 533
That’s a way better fit. Better sized space and a much better color match. I love a happy ending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dgage, Archaea and femi like this.
post #2034 of 2039 Old 03-12-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 381 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5351 Post(s)
Liked: 5143
Boy I sure hope he rolls through there with some treatments!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #2035 of 2039 Old 03-12-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Boy I sure hope he rolls through there with some treatments!

He mentioned the room was a little “loud” right now .

Yeah. He needs some printed movie theme acoustic panels.

post #2036 of 2039 Old 03-12-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked: 1555
post #2037 of 2039 Old 03-12-2019, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

He's likely going to install an upfiring 10" or 12" subwoofer high excursion driver (like an ultimax) under each chair, or at least every other chair.

So the traditional rear of room bass modes will probably not be a thing based on his unique subwoofer placement.

Since all the seats are on a riser - the tactile feel of all those up-firing drivers will be a blast I bet! Lots of vertical movement feel!
dgage and corradizo like this.

post #2038 of 2039 Old 03-25-2019, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Movie night at my place Saturday night 3/30 at 7PM.

I'm leaning towards showing Free Solo.

I have quite a few great demo clips to audition before/after the movie to showcase the new JBL speaker system. I announced in the KC area meet thread, but also shoving it in here in case someone interested isn't following the KC thread. Looks to be a handful (5) of us getting together as of right now.
chirpie likes this.

post #2039 of 2039 Old 04-15-2019, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

d_c and I went to Axpona this weekend. We had a good time at the show, and a better time visiting some of the local theaters in the area.
I wrote up my thoughts here in post 135.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-ar...l#post57907692

I also created this playlist based on some of the interesting music I experienced at the show. Give these songs a demo, and see what you think.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist...06oxp9ysjg4YkM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page