I was initially pretty skeptical about treatments, but the more I read the more I wanted to try it. Had to go with something as hypo-allergenic as possible because wife is allergic to everything
So, I bought a bale of R-13 (3.5" thick) Bonded Logic UltraTouch insulation, some 1x4's, corner brackets, chicken wire, staples, and then got some Guilford of Maine speaker fabric on super sale from Ebay. Total outlay was right around $300.
I ended up with (see room diagram above):
- 1 - 63.5" x 33.5" x 3.5" ceiling cloud
- 3 - 48" x 23" x 3.5" broadband absorber panels
- 4 - 32.5" x 18" x 16" "BillyTop" (top of bookcase) soffit bass traps
I also got a 6-pack of the 1'x1'x1" UltraTouch acoustic squares for grins. They ended up going behind the L & R speakers in sets of 2. Even had enough fabric leftover to cover them.
They look pretty good (thanks GoM). The wife was a bit dubious about the ceiling cloud at first, but she got used to it pretty quick. They make the room SOUND GREAT. Really pleased with the result, although I'm still chasing a few reflections...
: Teach the 16yo son some basic woodworking.
: Nasty scratches from chicken wire.
: The UltraTouch was great to work with, but the R-13 is not
3.5" thick. More like 2.5"-3". I had to buy a couple of R-6 rolls to fill in the bass traps. Might have been able to get away with 1x3s for the ceiling cloud and absorbers.
: Built some more, using R-19 this time. The thicker batts worked much better, but are still far less than 5.5" thick - about right for a 3.5" thick panel if bunched loosely in the frame. Also, it was a huge help to make the panels 36.5" wide this time - this is just wide enough for the chicken wire to stretch for stapling, and was a lot easier to handle.