** 2018 Update HERE **
Original display: Mitsubishi Diamond 842 82" DLP
Screen: Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 115" with LED kit
Projector: Epson 5030UB
Receiver: Denon AVR 2313Ci
Mains: Focal Chorus 726v
Center: Focal Chorus CC 700
Surrounds: Definitive Technology DI 5.5R
Subwoofer: Dual SVS 20-39+
Subwoofer amp: Samson 1000
Media/Processor: HTPC running XBMC (Gotham)
Hi Everyone. Just wanted to share my experience in updating our media room. We already had a fairly large display. It's a Mitsubishi Diamond 842 82" DLP.
I love it! This display was suppose to stay in our media room. The plan was to buit a dedicated home theater in the basement. After a couple of
discussions with the CFO, aka the wife, we decided not to finish our basement yet. Based on our decision not to finish the basement, I decided to update the
media room instead.
I moved the Mits to our loft upstairs.
Original media room.
Removing the TV and the console revealed a bunch of wires/cables. Time for some cable management as part of the makeover.
Found some old banana plugs. Time to put them to use!
Setting aside all the cables and stuff.
Bare in wall speaker wire coming out of the wall.
Terminated the in wall speaker wires.
Ah! Looks much better than cables sticking out of the wall.
Went to IKEA to pick up a new console. During my research, I couldn't find a cheap low profile console to replace the larger console I purchased at Dania. It needed to have space for a center channel since I didn't want it placed on top. I wanted to go as low as possible.
Added some of those Magic Sliders to the conosle making it easier to move around.
Console all built and components are in place. Total height of the console is a mere 13". Old console with the center channel on top was a total of 27", a whopping 14" saved!!
I thought I measured all my components and was sure that the new console would work. Unforunately, the HTPC and sub amp couldn't fit. ARGH!
One of the holes for the wall mounted speakers that is no longer needed.
Front, center and left wall mount speaker holes have been patched up. I left screws holes with screws just in case they are needed again in the future.
Time to pick out the new color scheme for the media room. Bye bye orange!