My Attempt & Living Room Build of "The Story Time Theater" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #1 of 71 Old 10-07-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 193
My Attempt At A Living Room Build of "The Story Time Theater"

Yep That's right.

It's time. It's time I begin this story and take on the adventure of building a family room home theater in my new home.

I have a 2 story home but I didn't want to use any of the upstairs bedrooms in order for guests to come over and climb the stairs just to watch a movie. I also chose not to put it up there because of the sound traveling from space to space and would require much needed sound isolation to the room and thus making it much smaller of a space. Plus I live by myself and only have family and friends that visit. So I chose to use the downstairs family room for this project. And being that it backs up to the kitchen and that's where all the best parties end up at this made perfect sense.

So as luck would have it I started this plan last year buying speakers. My initial plan was to go with 13 Phase tech. PC-3 speakers. I started acquiring them 1 and 2 and 3 at a time. I have also owned them from my last house and figured I liked there sound and would continue on and surround myself with them as a system. (Timbre matching is a goal of mine)

So I purchased enough to have 11 of these speakers and set them up in the room tossed up an image on the wall and setup the projector on a cart and off I went listening to this system...

I played around with the placement and angles of each speaker finding the best placement for sound and appearance for each speaker. I spent a few weeks with this arrangement, had a guest or 2 over to watch on the wall and listen with me.

At this time I think it time to further begin planning of the finish of the room layout and the finish look of the room...

Equipment planning to use or have already.

Projector: JVC RS45 Now RS500
Screen: 2.37 :1 Ultrawide..Homemade first to find the size I want for the room and then purchase a screen from SeymourAV AT XD
Receiver: Denon AVH4300X
Amp (Extra): Emotiva 7 channel Amp
Media Center PC with XBMC/Kodi and Plex+Bluray player
Bluray Player: Some Samsung
Subwoofer Amp: Behringer NU6000 NU3000DSP Buttkicker 1000N
Sub woofers: (2)Servodrive Contrabass...(2)SVS PB12/2Plus NOT Used(ForSale I think) - 4 VBSS, 2 Adire Tempest (15" Sealed Cabs in Rear Columns NF) and a BOSS Lowriser (Earthquake Series)
HDMI Wiring: RedMere from Monoprice
All other speakers Updated 2018 3 HTM-12 LCR and 10 M&K S100B for All Surround and Atmos Channels

Its should be a good story...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0151.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	547937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0641.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	547945  
SBuger and biliam1982 like this.

"The Boy has no patience" Yoda
"He will learn patience. Was I any different when you taught me?" Obi-Wan
My attempt living room build The Story Time Theater
3 DIY HTM-12 LCR 10 M&K S-100B, 2 Servodrive Contrabass. 2 SVS PB12/2 Plus(ForSale). 2 V.B.S.S., 2 Adire Tempest Side Columns Near field Fun all in one room.

Last edited by Chris Young; 03-16-2019 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Added a change of All speakers other then Subs are M&K S100B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 10-07-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Left blank for completion photos

3 DIY HTM-12 LCR 10 M&K S-100B, 2 Servodrive Contrabass. 2 SVS PB12/2 Plus(ForSale). 2 V.B.S.S., 2 Adire Tempest Side Columns Near field Fun all in one room.
post #3 of 71 Old 10-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Can't wait to see it

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 Old 10-27-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Okay this is the screen wall end of the room (Pictured) to test screen size, location, speaker location and room layout. Plus I needed to hang the screen for safe keeping and protect from damage while moving things around at this beginning stage. This end of the room is 13 feet wide. The screen is a Seymour 110 XD Acoustically Transparent Screen. I plan for the screen to be mounted on a simple framed wall 24" out from the wall it's now hanging on and placing the speakers behind the screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	333769  

Last edited by Chris Young; 10-27-2014 at 09:05 PM.
post #5 of 71 Old 10-27-2014, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to take you back a little bit in time to explain the beginning phase of the project. Okay back in the first post I mentioned what I did in setting up some speaker placing a projector on a cart and trying things out. I've always been a person who likes to spend some time with a space for awhile and set thing up and listen and plan from there. Heck this is my house and I plan to be here for awhile I have the time to test things out and have fun along the way. This isn't a race. To just draw things on paper and go build it expecting it to sound and look good on the screen is just plain a failure to plan. I've been in some very nice Home Theaters that look amazing but fail to perform in sound and picture quality. To me I want a space that offers a comfortable feel in the space and be able to change furniture around over time so that if I want that family room feel I can move out the riser etc.
You know how they say it's not the equipment you have but how you use it in it's implementation. The best speakers on earth can sound just as bad as the lowest quality available. Implementation is key. Now I realize I will have to compromise in this venture one way or another but I do plan to take advantage of certain practice others here have done. And hope to learn many along the way.

For my next embarrassing pictures I will show you a basic test setup and how testing things out can be messy but hey It's only temporary. I measured 24" away from the wall and placed a stand in that location to hang the AT Screen on. Yes it's shiny but black tape solved that problem fast. I wanted to try A dual center setup so that's what I started out with. I placed the black AT ratio screens on the screen to evaluate screen size as well when in widescreen format. I must say the picture was nice but to small in widescreen format. I purchased this screen before the house to use it in another much smaller room. But when watching it there it was in your face Big. Here I felt like I was watching not much bigger then a 65" flat panel TV.
It looks like I'll be making a temp screen. The chairs and boxes etc got moved out of the way during evaluation of the setup. Pardon the mess.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG2864.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	335345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2865.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	335353   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	335409   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	335417  

Last edited by Chris Young; 10-27-2014 at 10:21 PM.
post #6 of 71 Old 11-04-2014, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

This last week I received some 1 1/2" duct board from an AC friend of mine to use behind my screen wall. 4 boards in a box measuring 4' by 10' long. I removed all the equipment but l left some stuff in the way and started to install the boards on the wall. Excitement overcame me. The nice thing is this stuff already comes in black. So it breaks down the light that passes through the screen and doesn't reflect it back. I used some plastic I found in my recycle bin and 3 inch screws to hold the fiberglass panels to the walls and ceiling. Worked like a charm.

So after I finished installing the fiberglass boards I decided to spend some time building a screen wall for the screen to hang on while still evaluating the room.(The shiny metal stand holding the sceen was only temporary.) I've followed numerous threads around here and found some very structurally sound front screen walls that have been built.Some simple. Some are just way overkill. I like BIGmouthinDC's approach. Very simple wall and allows access to the equipment behind it while not having to hoist the equipment over the wall but rather around the wall. It uses the least amount of wood and gets the job done. I made 2 rectangular frames to go on either side of the room from the floor to the ceiling and hung the screen on that. Simple
Looking at the last picture I think I can just make some simple frames to cover the area around the screen, change the carpet, slap some paint on the walls and call it a day. Theater done...But is it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG2873.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	349002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2921.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	349010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2914.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	349018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2920.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	349026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2911.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	349034  

Name:	IMAG2910.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	349042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2908.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	349050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2912.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	349058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2903.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	349066  

post #7 of 71 Old 01-19-2015, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All,
I took some time in the last couple months around these holidays to listen and watch and evaluate movies in this room. I invited some friends and neighbors over for some movie viewing pleasure. They all were simple blown away by the experience. Some made comments to the fact I ruined TV and Movie watching for their home. I told them thank you for the nice comments and this was only the beginning stages. If they could only see some of the great theaters All of you folks out here have and are creating they would be Wow’d beyond belief.

So one day the Mom showed up to come check out a movie. She came in and sat down in the front row. And then made the comment question about…I thought the screen was going to be bigger? I said well what do you mean? She said, I thought it was going to span from wall to wall in front of me. I said well okay? We could try that and see how it is for us to watch. Mind you the friends and neighbors thought the 110” Diagonal Ultra wide screen was Big for them.
So off I went to JoAnn’s Fabric. I wanted to find the Brightest white material that would be AT enough to pass the Blow test to use as a temporary screen. I found this white material that people use for wedding veils. It had glitter on one side and a nice smooth surface on the back side. It seemed to pass the Blow Air TEST and focused a lot better and much better color and depth than the Spandex White I thought I went in there for.

Now on to Lowes for some lumber to make a BIG simple wood frame. I also will be using outdoor screening metal strips to spline the Fabric material into the groove to help keep constant even tension on it and not cause blemishes across the screen from using staples as this material is delicate.

So I made the frame in a couple hours and mounted the metal screening strips to the front of the frame. Splining the screen material to in was fun but I’m not a screening person so it took me some time to get the screen material flat and fully in the groove.

Okay after looking at the lousy picture I took of this screen it looks like its out of square and rough on the edges. I assure you it is square and the rough edges are the extra material I didn't fully trim off and will hide behind the small black trim I plan to place over it and around the screen edge. This new size screen is 138” across the bottom. Let’s see if its Big enough or to BIG for the viewing distance of the 1st row.

I've also included the best shots I could get from my phone camera of it’s up close surface of this material. It gives a very smooth non textured image. I will post pictures soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG3320.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	489954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3318.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	489962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3329.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	489970  

Last edited by Chris Young; 01-19-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Added spacing
post #8 of 71 Old 02-15-2015, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

I meant to add these pictures awhile back. This is some comparing side by side projected images to show the quality difference of the material I found at Jo-Ann's (on the Right) and Jo-Ann's White Spandex with Jo-Anns Black Spandex behind it(on the Left) as mentioned others have used here on AVS. I can tell you focus was so much better on the right side which is of great importance to me. Looking at the images it reminds me of the old Video restoration ad on DVD's back in the day by 20th Century Fox which used a side by side comparison of before and after their restoration process which showed a brighter more colorful images. Black are crushed on the left and shadows are better on the right. If it's one thing that's more important then buying the best projector its better to buy a better screen material the surface in which to display your movies etc on. But it tends to swing the other way for most folks. Kinda like I won't be keeping this material as it's not necessarily best for AT even though it looks great for picture I've seen better over the years and there is a thing to be said for good screen manufactures is that they are in business for just that thing and some strive to uphold the reputation hey have earned through research for the best materials available for the need intended. Just my 2 cents.
Any ways check out the pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141109_012444.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	548217   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141109_012340.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	548225   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141109_012229.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	458.8 KB
ID:	548233   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141109_012049.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	536.6 KB
ID:	548241   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141109_012953.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	548249  

Name:	20141109_012940.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	548257  

Last edited by Chris Young; 02-15-2015 at 11:06 PM. Reason: I stand corrected thank you...
post #9 of 71 Old 02-15-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Young View Post
Hi All,

I meant to add these pictures awhile back. This is some comparing side by side projected images to show the quality difference of the material I found at Jo-Ann's (on the Right) and Jo-Ann's White Spandex with Jo-Anns Black Spandex behind it(on the Left) as recommended here on AVS. I can tell you focus was so much better on the right side which is of great importance to me. Looking at the images it reminds me of the old Video restoration ad on DVD's back in the day by 20th Century Fox which used a side by side comparison of before and after their restoration process which showed a brighter more colorful images. Black are crushed on the left and shadows are better on the right. If it's one thing that's more important then buying the best projector its better to buy a better screen material the surface in which to display your movies etc on. But it tends to swing the other way for most folks. Kinda like I won't be keeping this material as it's not necessarily best for AT even though it looks great for picture I've seen better over the years and there is a thing to be said for good screen manufactures is that they are in business for just that thing and some strive to uphold the reputation hey have earned through research for the best materials available for the need intended. Just my 2 cents.
Any ways check out the pictures
I don't recall anyone recommending Jo-Anne's spandex. Jo-Anne's is a store, not a brand or type. Recommended is specifically "milliskin matte white" spandex for a front surface with milliskin black or silver behind it.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #10 of 71 Old 02-15-2015, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

I stand corrected. I chose the wrong words. Thank you.

Have fun,

post #11 of 71 Old 02-15-2015, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

I wanted to update this thread as to some of the direction I’m taking for this Home theater room.

I sat down and have drawn up some ideas as to what I would like to incorporate into this room.
  • A front stage filled with sand and a 2nd stage riser just in front of that 1st sand filled stage that has an Arc to it
  • I would like a soffit on each side for lights and filled with fiberglass for bass trap area. Well at least to help out with vibrations if nothing else
  • (2) Side surround Columns on each side for the listening area.
  • (2) Two rows of seating with the back row having a riser to see over the front row. Being a living room I can always get rid of the riser and put in regular living room furniture in the future.
  • Build a wall with a small Arc separating the Living room from the kitchen.
  • Build Simple Acoustical panels for the walls at least for first reflections.
  • Replace Carpet with something other than this light color builders carpet.
  • Use 13 of the same speaker model throughout the room(Timbre Matching) I’m ditching the Phase Tech PC3’s as they are too big for the surrounds and back surround speakers
  • Paint a black ceiling for better contrast and cutting down on light reflective.
  • Audio equipment to be placed in another room so as to only enjoy the picture in the front of the theater room.

There simply is no good place in this room for the equipment and or audio rack.

Okay that’s a good start for the plan. Now let’s build that stage.
I’ve purchased (2) 16 foot 2” x 12” and cut them at 6’ 4” inch sections making 4 pieces. I then cut up some 12 foot 2’ x 12” into 26” lengths for the section divider and end pieces. I also picked up 1 ton of Play sand in bags from the local Lowes. I had wanted to purchase the really BIG cubic yard or so but they were at risk of moisture where the other single bags are in the store and dry. While there I picked up 4 mill. Black plastic, roofing paper and 4 sheets of ¾” plywood. The roofing paper will be installed between 2 layers of ¾’ plywood on the top of the stage.
I assembled the 1st stage in 2 pieces as one single piece stage would have been way to BIG to move let alone try and move it into place that why I cut them at the 6’ 4” above. Using 3 ½” wood screws and Tightbond Wood glue I started assembling the stage. (Pictures below)

I test fit the stage up near the wall and marked the floor to cut out the carpet. I removed the carpet and left the foam pad in place for the stage to rest on. I made sure once the stage was resting on the floor that it was equally away from the wall on 3 sides I believe 2” was the number. Now time to place the Plastic liner for the sand cavities in the stage. This is something I’m not so good at but gave it my best. That plastic is thick and frankly has to be for the job but I attempted to roll it out and stuff it into the stage cavities. Now it’s time for the sand. I poured the sand into each cavity and then moved it around in the cavity in order to make sure it got down to the floor and removed any air pockets in and around the corners. The leveling of the sand is not my best strength but I filled up the cavities and then trimmed the plastic around the outside. I tried a small 1 by 4 to level the sand and then poured more in to fill up the top and re-level it again. It seemed like it would never end so I filled where I could and then moved to the next. After looking at it when done with each area I said okay it’s going to have to do. Am I going to hear a difference with very small errors in the leveling of the sand? Probably not.

So I brought in the plywood which I had ripped all four to the stage depth I wanted. 2 Pieces stayed at the 8 foot length and 2 pieces where crosscut at 4’ 8” pieces for the top to offset and overlay the pieces. (See Pictures below)I started laying down the first layer and said oh wait a minute I need to lay down some of the roofing paper first then the first layer of plywood. Then I screwed it into place using 1 ¾” wood screws. I will update you soon with the front Arc stage which will be hallow and removable to vacuum and clean around.
Have fun,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM01554.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	581.1 KB
ID:	548409   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01552.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	548417   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01559.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	562.0 KB
ID:	548425   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01564.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	626.5 KB
ID:	548433   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01570.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	493.2 KB
ID:	548441  

Name:	CAM01587.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	548449   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01610.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	542.8 KB
ID:	548457   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01615.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	564.3 KB
ID:	548465   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01624.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	548473   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01626.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	548481  

post #12 of 71 Old 02-23-2015, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

I knocked this out over the weekend. It's the front Arc piece(which I'm not very good at) that goes in the front of the big sand filled stage. It is removable when needed for cleaning etc.(But heavy) I used simple MDF 1" x 4" finished wood for its flexibility and 2" x 4" Premium Spruce nice and straight when you get them as you really don't have to fuss looking through the pile for the straight boards. I connected the 2 pieces together with 3 long lag bolts and Fender washers, lock washers and nuts. To help with the middle to arc and not appear flat where both pieces joined I wedged a piece of MDF 1"x4" between them before assembling which gave me what I was looking for. I then covered it in the 2 layers of plywood. This item will be covered in carpet in the end...

Once I got it in the house I felt it needed to be a bit deeper in depth. I constructed a rectangular frame the full length of this part of the stage and attached it to the backside of it filling the space I wanted. (Photo 7) The next photo shows the Arc Stage complete (Photo 8)
Thanks for reading Take care.
See ya real soon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM01589.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	564801   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01824.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	771.9 KB
ID:	564809   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01822.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	625.5 KB
ID:	564817   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01823.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	666.0 KB
ID:	564825   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01860.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	568.6 KB
ID:	564833  

Name:	CAM01864.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	566.9 KB
ID:	564841  

Last edited by Chris Young; 04-02-2015 at 12:52 AM.
post #13 of 71 Old 04-02-2015, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

It's been far to long for getting back to my posting of the progress of this theater. I have had a busy month for sure as I'm sure you all have as well. Spring break for a lot of folks.Yahoo... Anyways I wanted to catch you all up on progress on this Attempted Living room theater. It's not glamorous now or pretty to watch it happen so disregard the excess wiring and such. I'm not the cleanest worker during the job but it should clean up well in the final product. So here we go. I wanted to give the room it's own space. Well at least it's own feeling of space I mean it is connected to the kitchen and will act as a living room with the movie theater feel and well I don't have a basement that is available in Florida but Rare in my neck of the woods. I didn't want to build a wall with a door or doors that entered from the kitchen into the theater as it would make the kitchen loose that open feeling and close it off and make it feel smaller and that the separating wall between the rooms was an after thought. I like curves heck who doesn't So I wanted to give the wall an open feel between the two room with a slight arch from one side to the other. This would also give me a place to mount some rear speakers on that wall as well and decor on the other side when I redo the kitchen next. But that's another forum.

At the same time I wanted to start working on some soffits and columns for the side surround speakers also lending the curve to them like the back wall and front stage. (From earlier posts)

I know the next thing I tell you I did was broke one of the main cardinal rules of building a HT. I hung the projector. I know I know but hey it's completely cool I have to know where it's going to go and why make a mess down the road and or a mistake when now is a great time to place it and then take it down and put it back in it's box and bring it out in the end of the build and snap it in place and enjoy. Frankly I got real tired of the cart I was using during testing, evaluating and planing this project. I moved it out of the way, it was time to get serious.

The first pic is of the ceiling 5/8" thick where I drilled 4 holes for a pipe mount fitting for the projector mount to mount on. I anchored this pipe mount using 4 T type anchors from Lowes they claim 200+ on a wall so I figured well I'm not needing to hang that much so the projector should be just fine well maybe not. I got the pipe mount screwed to the ceiling and for good measure I hung 50 Lb of weight from it and looked at the ceiling. I have to say this really work well but for some reason I felt like I was seeing a bow in the ceiling. Which i was. It was very slight and I mean very slight but that was enough for me to say nope I have to find a truss that is close buy.

Broke out the stud finder and searched for the truss. Cool I found one close by and toward the rear of the room. So I grabbed a small piece of MDF and fabricated a piece long enough to reach to the truss. Screwed it in place with 3 long screws and mounted the pipe mount to the board and ceiling. This time it didn't move at all and actually looks kinda cool.
Now for the back wall which you can start to see in the projector mount pictures I purchased some very straight 2x4's for the framing (red tint color wood) about $2.80 each and a strip of finished MDF for the underside of the arch. It is attached to the ceiling using the same anchors as used for the projector mount and I found stud and concrete in the side walls on either side to mount it to as well.
I also started pre-fitting the drywall but will leave it removable during the build for wiring etc and metal wiring safety plates to protect the wires passing thought the studs on to their destination.

Now for the soffits. I went down each wall and located the studs in the walls marked them on the wall with a pen/marker and thought more about a way I could do this myself. This was a fun one to do by one's self so I came up with mounting 2"x2" strips on the wall first making sure they are level and in the studs. I then lifted the soffit up onto the 2"x2" and let it hold it there for me against the wall. I got it where I wanted it to meet the back wall and with the other hand screwed it in place. The 2"x2" held it in place with the back wall while I finished installing the other mounting screws. Worked like a charm. I then later removed the 2"x2" and simple putty can fill the holes left there as the build goes on.

Now for the curve part of the soffit. I think this was a lot of fun making the soffit curve just enough to make it noticeable giving the room a wider feeling up front and also allow for the larger screen as well. You kinds run out of height building a stage and wanting height speakers as well. The curve matches the stage rather well as a bonus.

Well it seems that this post is getting long and I know I haven't touched on the one last thing I've been working on and that's the columns for the side surrounds. I have room for only one more picture in this post and a few more to show you next time. Until then you all take care and thanks for following and reading my thread of the Story Time Theater.

Have Fun...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM01459.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	641681   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01465.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	641689   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01466.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	641697   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01475.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	641737   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01476.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	641745  

Name:	CAM01488.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	641761   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01494.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	641777   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01507.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	641785   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01510.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	641793   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01515.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	641801  

Name:	CAM01490.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	641841  
idean likes this.

Last edited by Chris Young; 04-02-2015 at 12:59 AM.
post #14 of 71 Old 04-02-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 99
This is looking pretty sweet. Looking forward to seeing more. Keep up the good work!
post #15 of 71 Old 05-02-2015, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All,
The month just went right on by for me. It's hard to believe I feel I just wrote the last entry a short time ago but it's been 30 days. Wow!!! Time fly's by sometimes. Anyways I got some work done on the Theater room. Not a lot but not a little. I believe the last time I wrote I mentioned about the Side surround columns. They have that skeleton look but hey you got to start somewhere. I also have made changes in the choice of speakers I will be using as well as the speaker arrangement of the room. I have chosen to go with M&K Speakers Model S100B similar to their 150's most people know about. I plan to install 13 of these speakers throughout the room. I hope for some nice timbre matching as well as envelopment.
So on with the Side surround columns. I picked up some 1”x3”’s for the skeleton frame of the columns and used wood glue and screws for the assembly. I plan to cover these with ¾” MDf and finish with paint. I placed a S100B speaker in each location to give you the idea of where these side surrounds will be located.
The next section I worked on was the front speaker locations behind the screen. I wanted to give these speakers a shelf each to stand on attached to the wall. If these locations didn’t work out as planed then at least I would have a place to set them out of the way when getting behind the screen to move things around like those Big Subs. I took some left over wood from the main front stage and cut up some flat shelves for each of the front speakers and mounted them to the wall with Toggle Bolts. For the Wide speakers I attached a shelf to the wall and one of the screen supporting poles 2”x4”s.
All in all it's on it’s way. I won’t be very long for another update. Lots more to come…
Have fun,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM01519.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	698034   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01524.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	698042   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01726.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	698130   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01650.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	527.0 KB
ID:	698138   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01628.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	698146  

Name:	CAM01649.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	487.8 KB
ID:	698154   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01652.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	698162   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01646.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	698170   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01654.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	698178   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01672.jpg
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	698186  

Name:	CAM01665.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	569.3 KB
ID:	698194  

Last edited by Chris Young; 05-04-2015 at 07:39 PM.
post #16 of 71 Old 05-08-2015, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hello All,

Well sense I last posted I was able to get some more work done. I worked on a couple different things. Starting with the arch wall I located where the rear surrounds will be installed. While the wall was open still I wanted to place a board behind the finishing drywall which would be the mounting support board instead of just using drywall and simple anchors to hold those 22 pound M&K's. For now I'm going to test out some simple picture frame hanger clips mounted to a small piece of wood. With this setup the speaker should hang at a small drop angle toward the listening area. The thicker the wood piece the steeper the angle. I may move to try out speaker mount down the road.

I installed some drywall on the soffits and ran some electrical wires for LED light in the soffits as wall. In a couple of pictures that you will see the test movie screen now covered in plastic. I placed the plastic up on the side walls to block away the construction dust etc. from getting on or behind the screen and on the fiberglass back wall and the speakers siting back there.

The column frames are now covered in MDF mounted to the walls. The shelf the speaker sits on is flat so I wanted to have a small tilt toward the listening position so I built some small angle platforms that sit on the shelf and the speaker will sit on it and point towards the listening area as it does in a real movie theater. Down the road at least I’ll have some choices in the future for further fine tuning and aiming.

I also filled the lower areas of the columns with R-30 fiberglass batt’s for an absorption point/ Bass Trap. I acquired the R-30 from a friend demolishing an interior of a building. I wanted to save it from the landfill and save me some money not having to buy it. The nice thing about interior insulation is it’s still brand new just like the day it went into the wall it came out the same way. I was also able to pick up some R-13 there as well to place in the soffit area. Double bonus.

Hard working on this room today. I will report soon with more of the progress. Thank you for stopping by and checking it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140823_161532.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	706370   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01921.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	706378   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140525_173041.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	706410   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140525_173055.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	706418   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140525_173027.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	706426  

Name:	20140525_173010.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	706442   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140525_173016.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	706450   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140624_234345.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	706466   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140624_235100.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	706474   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140624_234952.jpg
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	706482  

Name:	20140624_235515.jpg
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	706490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140624_235552.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	706498  

post #17 of 71 Old 05-13-2015, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All,
I wanted to update you all on the progress so far. I’ve decided to place 2 update posts today to bring you up to date. This is post #1 .

Things seem to be going well. I’ve started working on the side walls now. I’m going with a wainscoting look. Well at least I’m attempting to make it look like that. I’ve have some challenges to face. Mainly around the window and its bottom windowsill. It sticks out from the wall a couple of inches and I don’t want to destroy it by cutting it off just to have this wall effect. Sure I could go with the simple throw a curtain on the wall covering it up and call it a day but that won’t also stop another problem. The shaking and ratting the window does from the subs when watching a movie. So if I threw up the curtain and plugged the window with material it kind of defeated the purpose as I couldn't see out of the window. So I’ve decided to plug and cover the window but I will still have access to get out in case of emergency.

With the wainscoting walls I wasn’t going be able to just put them on the wall using the drywall as one of the surfaces. Because of the windowsill, I had to build it out on both sides of the room to mirror each other. Another small problem is the electrical outlets. Each one needed to be extended out. I used MDF and 2”x4”for the job. I chose MDF because it really nice to work with has a great smooth finish and is very forgiving in a project. Also it paints very well.

My plan was to build out the wall with the 2”x4”’s but also I’ve found some extra 2”x2”s to use in some of the openings. If not they were headed for trash. What I ended up having to do as you can see in one of the windowsill pictures I needed to add an extra board to provide the necessary thickness to build around the windowsill. I also had to do this to the other wall to match I also installed some 1 ½” fiberglass board in that I had left over from the front wall to fill the extra airspace.
Until the next post.
Have Fun,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140703_193807.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	714306   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140703_193442.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	714314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140703_193518.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	714322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140703_194019.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	714330   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140704_164844.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	714338  

Name:	20140704_174803.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	714346   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140704_174755.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	714354   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140704_174813.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	714362   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140704_192041.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	714370   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140708_155304.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	480.4 KB
ID:	714426  

Name:	20140709_211817.jpg
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	714434   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140705_185040.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	714450  

post #18 of 71 Old 05-13-2015, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

On to post #2

This is to update you on the soffit area and their progress as well as a sneak peak at the wainscoting progress and how I chose to go away from the white cosmetic ones in the last post.

The soffits are a fun challenge. I’m not very good with drywall mud. It’s fun to do but I find the more you glob on the more you have to sand off later. I’ve decided to install MDF to the edge of the soffit to create a nice and strong finish to the edge verses using a drywall corner bead. The other plan behind using this MDF was to cut it to a taller height to later help hide LED light strips installed on the soffits.

Another thing you will find in the pictures is the windows first layer of being plugged with 1 ½” fiberglass board.
I placed the reflective side out so that will help with ultraviolet light from heating up the room during the day.

The wainscoting is starting to take shape. I’ll let the pictures explain the rest.

Thank you all for staying with the progress. Building this room out has been a fun adventure so far…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140803_231333.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	714514   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140803_231346.jpg
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	714522   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140803_231351.jpg
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	714530   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140803_231358.jpg
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	714594   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140822_184249.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	714626  

Name:	20140823_161348.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	714634   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140823_161359.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	714658   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140823_161409.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	714666   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140803_231309.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	714674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140802_105120.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	714690  

Name:	20140802_105129.jpg
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	714698   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140802_105139.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	714706  

post #19 of 71 Old 05-13-2015, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looks like everything is coming along nicely. Thanks for sharing all the details.
Chris Young likes this.
post #20 of 71 Old 06-18-2015, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All,
I know it’s been awhile actually a month now sense the last posting. I wanted to share with you some more on the progress of this living room home theater.
Paint the MDF is now come to play. I prefer to prime the MDF because the finish of the product turns out much better then paint alone and also helps in using less paint and better coverage.
I’ve located my material I want to cover the upper wall with at JoAnn Fabric. It’s an upholstery material which I found seems to pass the Blow test for acoustically transparent. But also seems to be the material I keep going back to time and time again as my material of choice for the theme of this room. Cost is $35 a yard but coupons and sales at up to 60% off make it so much more affordable. I caught it at 60% off.

I then took the material to Home Depot to have the flower pedal color matched for one of the colors for the walls. I chose Bahr Marques Paint Satan for both the Black and the Gold color for the walls. I must say it matches the fabric very well.
I’ve been pondering the idea on the trim for around the room. And was thinking of painting it the same gold color trimming the soffits and the tops of the MDF on the wall for a very small shelf. But to small though for a soda can or drink to be set on, but just right to give a very nice effect and line where the wood and fabric meet.

Also one of the other things that got finished was the mount / sled I made from another users past posts using drawer guides to help move the Anamorphic lens in and out of the light beam of the projector for the 2.37 to 1 Screen. I mounted the sled on the ceiling in front of the projector using the same lag screw T’s . This sled was made with scrap MDF and some very heavy duty drawer guides I found in a desk to be thrown out at a friend’s house they didn’t want anymore. Cool use of recycle.
I also picked up the LED lights I want to use for the room. I wanted something that wouldn't stick up too high above the soffit that you could see it and that was low key on the surface. I ended up with a 4" LED from Lowes. They should look okay.

All in all I’m happy with the progress that this room is taking on…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140828_175825.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	783514   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140826_220657.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	783522   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140826_220633.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	783530   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140826_220627.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	783538   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140829_011310.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	783546  

Name:	CAM01774.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	659.8 KB
ID:	783554   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01769.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	783562   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140903_164946.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	475.9 KB
ID:	783586   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140903_170423.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	783594   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140830_172148.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	783602  

Last edited by Chris Young; 06-22-2016 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added link to sled
post #21 of 71 Old 06-18-2015, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

More Picture for the last post
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140831_202045.jpg
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	783642   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140831_210131.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	783650   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140831_214103.jpg
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	783666   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140831_214113.jpg
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	783674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140901_002606.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	783682  

Name:	20140901_002858.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	783698   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140901_002948.jpg
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	783706   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140901_003000.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	783714   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140901_202831.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	783722   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140901_202541.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	783730  

Name:	20140901_202613.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	783738   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140901_203510.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	473.9 KB
ID:	783746  

post #22 of 71 Old 06-28-2015, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Young View Post
More Picture for the last post
Looks great, keep up the good work.
Chris Young likes this.
post #23 of 71 Old 07-04-2015, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All I wanted to update you with some more pictures of this project. This holds the painting of walls and ceiling. The ceiling is done in Behr Marque paint. The sad thing is that it took 2 gallons to paint the walls and ceiling. I finished the first gallon on the ceiling started the 2nd gallon on ceiling only to find out the color was different in tint once it was dry. Please see the last picture.
I notified the Behr company of the problem and they offered to replace the paint at no charge and refund my money for the first 2 gallons of paint. They said there should not have been a mix problem and the colors should have matched gallon for gallon. It's hard to say what caused the problem but I was most impressed with the behr company in the way they handled it for me. Yes I have to pait it twice because of it but that's not a really big deal. I'm most impressed with the paint though as it does cover well in just one coat.
As for the room It's getting there little by little. one section at a time. Fabric framing to come next post.
Until then take care and remember have fun,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140904_011911.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	812650   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140904_011932.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	519.8 KB
ID:	812658   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140904_012306.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	812666   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140904_012319.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	812674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140905_144537.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	812690  

Name:	20140905_154411.jpg
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	812706   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140905_154425.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	812714   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140905_171311.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	812722   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140905_171515.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	812730   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140905_171506.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	812738  

Name:	20140905_200932.jpg
Size:	521.0 KB
ID:	812746   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140906_151842.jpg
Size:	532.0 KB
ID:	812754  
steve1106 likes this.

post #24 of 71 Old 07-30-2015, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Pardon me for not getting back to updating this thread as it been a hospital month for my family.

I've got some updated photos but won't chat much at the moment. i worked on the fabric panels that mount on the side walls. Simple frames which will cover the existing window opening and the paint on the walls. I wanted a fabric look on the walls to give you that movie theater feel of fabric walls of sort but also feel like a nice casual living room. With the 2 rows of seating the cool thing is down the road if I want to change that to say a sectional couch the walls work with that type of furniture and even that lazy-boy that some enjoy.
Also added some trim edge to the soffit to finish the edge and will be hiding led lights behind them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140914_145426.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	778.1 KB
ID:	859594   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140914_150041.jpg
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	859602   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140914_180523.jpg
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	859626   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140914_150817.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	574.2 KB
ID:	859634   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140914_151115.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	859642  

Name:	20140914_191217.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	536.5 KB
ID:	859650   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140914_191234.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	497.9 KB
ID:	859658   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140914_233308.jpg
Size:	584.3 KB
ID:	859674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140914_233320.jpg
Size:	616.0 KB
ID:	859682   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140910_144049.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	859690  

Name:	20140910_151825.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	859698   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140910_194528.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	859706  

post #25 of 71 Old 09-02-2015, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Wow another month has gone by. Well I have some updates to share on more progress. The walls are just about fine tuned and the black cloth is stapled into the side surround columns to hold the fiberglass in place. Also the material will black it out from being seen thought the black grill cloth material of the outside. The New Seymour AT (140" across the bottom) Curved Ultra-wide screen 2.37:1 is up and hanging up front and man is this thing BIG in this room. 1 and half inches of spacing on each side of the screen to the trim rail on the sidewalls. It's perfect. The next step I have to farm out to a friend to sew up some drapes for the top and bottom of the screen and possibly for aspect ratio change for the sides making 16x9 blackouts that will be AT material for the speakers behind the screen. All in all I'm very happy with how the room is turning out. Carpet and updates ill soon follow.
Thank you for reading and remember to Have fun,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140922_190336.jpg
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	920778   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140922_190611.jpg
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	920786   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141003_015618.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	920834   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141003_015601.jpg
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	920842   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141003_015640.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	566.0 KB
ID:	920850  

Name:	20141002_122700.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	920858   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141002_195237.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	920866   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141003_030644.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	920874   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141003_194248.jpg
Size:	491.6 KB
ID:	920882  

post #26 of 71 Old 09-02-2015, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

The Seymour Curved 2.37:1 Acoustically transparent screen.
The Auto Calibrated image is done by the i1 Display Pro using ChromaPure and a Lumagen 2020
Calibrated image taken just above MLP head area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	920890   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.jpg
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	920898   Click image for larger version

Name:	After Calibration.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	920906   Click image for larger version

Name:	F.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	920914   Click image for larger version

Name:	G.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	920922  

idean likes this.

Last edited by Chris Young; 09-02-2015 at 11:42 AM.
post #27 of 71 Old 09-02-2015, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Just spoke with the carpet sales person and they will be out tomorrow to measure the stage, floor and riser.
Finally

http://www.joycarpets.com/carpet/walk-of-fame
Black of course

Going for the match the best I can with the fabric on the walls.
What do you guys think?

post #28 of 71 Old 09-07-2015, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

So I got a real wake up call today on the price of carpet now a days. The carpet I'm looking to get is $52 per square yard. Ouch break off my arm.
Not a linear yard being 13' 6" wide but a square yard 36"x 36". Tile and throw rugs are looking better and better all the time.

For that price I could have real stone on the floor.

Sorry for the talk out loud rant. That's all it really was is a talk out loud.

So what do you guys think of this carpet? I'm going for a color pattern match to the fabric on the walls.
Is it the right choice for this room or can you all offer other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WalkOfFame_Black.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	929178  

post #29 of 71 Old 12-11-2015, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Just stumbled across your thread. Your room is certainly undergoing a dramatic evolution. Looking good.
A rather impressive screen. Did you go with the Seymour UF or XD material?
Patterned "theater" carpet is ridiculously expensive. My personal preference is a hard floor such as wood or tile with a thick, large area rug over it. Not very common in home theaters I know and likely just as expensive as the carpet. (A square yard is 9 square feet of course. With hardwood clocking in at >$5/sqft if you install it yourself + the cost of an area rug you're well over $50/yard.)

I will follow along to see how it all turns out.
post #30 of 71 Old 06-22-2016, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Did you go with the Seymour UF or XD material?

XD and really am pleased with it. After owning a smaller one with XD material before this one I knew it was going to be fine pattern wise at 8-9ish feet. After speaking with Chris and Jon at Seymour, down the road maybe go with a finer material with at least this brightness as the XD is a darker even though tighter weave.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page