It's been far to long for getting back to my posting of the progress of this theater. I have had a busy month for sure as I'm sure you all have as well. Spring break for a lot of folks.Yahoo... Anyways I wanted to catch you all up on progress on this Attempted Living room theater. It's not glamorous now or pretty to watch it happen so disregard the excess wiring and such. I'm not the cleanest worker during the job but it should clean up well in the final product. So here we go. I wanted to give the room it's own space. Well at least it's own feeling of space I mean it is connected to the kitchen and will act as a living room with the movie theater feel and well I don't have a basement that is available in Florida but Rare in my neck of the woods. I didn't want to build a wall with a door or doors that entered from the kitchen into the theater as it would make the kitchen loose that open feeling and close it off and make it feel smaller and that the separating wall between the rooms was an after thought. I like curves heck who doesn't So I wanted to give the wall an open feel between the two room with a slight arch from one side to the other. This would also give me a place to mount some rear speakers on that wall as well and decor on the other side when I redo the kitchen next. But that's another forum.
At the same time I wanted to start working on some soffits and columns for the side surround speakers also lending the curve to them like the back wall and front stage. (From earlier posts)
I know the next thing I tell you I did was broke one of the main cardinal rules of building a HT. I hung the projector. I know I know but hey it's completely cool I have to know where it's going to go and why make a mess down the road and or a mistake when now is a great time to place it and then take it down and put it back in it's box and bring it out in the end of the build and snap it in place and enjoy. Frankly I got real tired of the cart I was using during testing, evaluating and planing this project. I moved it out of the way, it was time to get serious.
The first pic is of the ceiling 5/8" thick where I drilled 4 holes for a pipe mount fitting for the projector mount to mount on. I anchored this pipe mount using 4 T type anchors from Lowes they claim 200+ on a wall so I figured well I'm not needing to hang that much so the projector should be just fine well maybe not. I got the pipe mount screwed to the ceiling and for good measure I hung 50 Lb of weight from it and looked at the ceiling. I have to say this really work well but for some reason I felt like I was seeing a bow in the ceiling. Which i was. It was very slight and I mean very slight but that was enough for me to say nope I have to find a truss that is close buy.
Broke out the stud finder and searched for the truss. Cool I found one close by and toward the rear of the room. So I grabbed a small piece of MDF and fabricated a piece long enough to reach to the truss. Screwed it in place with 3 long screws and mounted the pipe mount to the board and ceiling. This time it didn't move at all and actually looks kinda cool.
Now for the back wall which you can start to see in the projector mount pictures I purchased some very straight 2x4's for the framing (red tint color wood) about $2.80 each and a strip of finished MDF for the underside of the arch. It is attached to the ceiling using the same anchors as used for the projector mount and I found stud and concrete in the side walls on either side to mount it to as well.
I also started pre-fitting the drywall but will leave it removable during the build for wiring etc and metal wiring safety plates to protect the wires passing thought the studs on to their destination.
Now for the soffits. I went down each wall and located the studs in the walls marked them on the wall with a pen/marker and thought more about a way I could do this myself. This was a fun one to do by one's self so I came up with mounting 2"x2" strips on the wall first making sure they are level and in the studs. I then lifted the soffit up onto the 2"x2" and let it hold it there for me against the wall. I got it where I wanted it to meet the back wall and with the other hand screwed it in place. The 2"x2" held it in place with the back wall while I finished installing the other mounting screws. Worked like a charm.
I then later removed the 2"x2" and simple putty can fill the holes left there as the build goes on.
Now for the curve part of the soffit. I think this was a lot of fun making the soffit curve just enough to make it noticeable giving the room a wider feeling up front and also allow for the larger screen as well. You kinds run out of height building a stage and wanting height speakers as well. The curve matches the stage rather well as a bonus.
Well it seems that this post is getting long and I know I haven't touched on the one last thing I've been working on and that's the columns for the side surrounds. I have room for only one more picture in this post and a few more to show you next time. Until then you all take care and thanks for following and reading my thread of the Story Time Theater.