Another basement to movie room thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrm21

post #1 of 9 Old 12-03-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Another basement to movie room build thread

I've been meaning to make a thread for this, but never got around to it.

In January of this year I started working on my unfinished basement. I decided to create the theater I always wanted. It doesn't hurt that I also like to build things. It is all in a second home. That means both a monetary AND time budget were being strained.

I ended up doing everything myself except for two items. We had to extend the HVAC system. The home is only a few years old and we planned the HVAC to include a future basement. The original installer came back to extend the ducts and wire dampers in for another zone.

The other item I hired out was the final spackling of the walls. I brought it to about 80-90% and couldn't do more. This is a weak point for me, and I became tired of wasting time to get it right. I already had a contractor working on some other things around the house, and he was able to finish the job quickly.

It is still a work in progress. I still need to do trim work and finish some items. I started building the bar last week, and have work to do there. Once the epoxy top fully cures, I will install the kegerator and tap tower.

Some build info:
*It is a walkout basement. The walkout side is what I am finishing. The other half will remain unfinished as a workroom/laundry room/storage area.
*I used Tyroc as a sub-floor and am very happy with the way that worked out.
*Ceiling is Armstrong laminate planks (very easy to work with) over 5/8 sheetrock. I used 5/8 on ceiling and walls to reduce sound transmission.
*Floor is laminate wood planks.
*Hi-hats are dimmable LEDs hi-hats. Pretty amazing that they throw so much light but only use 12.5 watts of power each

Some equipment details:

*Screen is a SeymourAV 120" wide motorized.
*Speakers are Klipsch in-wall
*Subwoofer is SV Sound. I am using one, but wired the room for two.
*Projector is a Sony HW-40ES positioned about 16' from screen
*Receiver is a Pioneer 1523
*Setup is for 7.1. I am using the two extra amps on the Pioneer to power a pair of outdoor speakers.
*Theater chairs are from Roman at Ultimate Home Theater
*Kegerator is Marvel with a 2-faucet system. This is on the kegerator now, but will be installed under the bar with the tower on the bar.
*2nd row seating is raised on a platform I built from extra 2x6s and plywood, covered in carpet.

All the wiring is running through the soffit. The soffit was necessary (as was the lowered section of ceiling) due to the HVAC ductwork. The bonus is that I can still access the entire chase from the unfinished side of the basement.

All equipment is in the space under the stairs, behind the bar area. This keeps everything out of the way. Of course, it poses a problem for remotes. Anticipating this, I wired an extra Cat6 cable to a box on the front wall next to the screen. I just purchased an IT extender/repeater which I will install soon. I just point the remote at the wall plate which is wired to bring the IR signal back to the equipment area.

It is still a work in progress, but I think it is coming along well.

Here are some "Before" and "Now" photos.

There are two shots of the bar and three of the room. Have a slideshow file showing more in between photos and will post a link when those files are processed.

It has been an interesting journey. Let me know if there are any questions. Enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bar2.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	399642   Click image for larger version

Name:	bar1 .jpg
Views:	306
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	399650   Click image for larger version

Name:	room2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	399658   Click image for larger version

Name:	room1.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	399666   Click image for larger version

Name:	room3.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	399674  

Last edited by jrm21; 12-03-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-03-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Slideshow of room build progression is here:
Slideshow of bar build progression is here:
pg_rider likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-03-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Wow very nice! You have a great basement to work with there. Theater looks great!

I still have the bar build yet to do on mine. Can't wait to get that going but I plan to finish other things first. hope by summer to get going on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-03-2014, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Wow very nice! You have a great basement to work with there. Theater looks great!

I still have the bar build yet to do on mine. Can't wait to get that going but I plan to finish other things first. hope by summer to get going on that.
Thanks for the kind words. I have been following your build and it is coming along very nicely.

You plan to start your bar build by summer? As in 6 months from now? Ouch. I don't have the patience to wait that long. My bar isn't that large (about 6' long), but it only took about 1.5 days to build (including gluing down a few thousand pennies, one at a time). The stain/finish adds to that, but the work itself goes quickly... I would be done if I didn't have to wait for things to dry.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-03-2014, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Love the ceiling and bar top! Good job!!
post #6 of 9 Old 12-03-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Well I say Summer but i'm hoping sooner. The rate I move with finding time to work is sparatic and limited most of the time. Also money play's a factor so will see where we are after the rest of the basement is done. I still need to finish the hardwood laminent which is half the basement including the bathroom. Then finish the bathroom, Get all the trim down and get my doors in. I should have that all done or close to done shortly after the new year but these month go by so fast! I'm hoping to get some help with the bar from someone we know and if that happens then the bar could actually not take me forever to build We shall see though. Impressive what you can do by yourself though! Your bar looks very nice! I like the Penny idea

Question for ya. Is your bar secured down to anything or did you just build it on the flooring and attach it to the wall? Mine will also come out from the wall but was just wondering if it should be bolted down to the floor at all.

Thanks!

Last edited by gec5741; 12-03-2014 at 02:30 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-03-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looks great! What is the brand of dimmable LEDs you used?
post #8 of 9 Old 12-03-2014, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Question for ya. Is your bar secured down to anything or did you just build it on the flooring and attach it to the wall? Mine will also come out from the wall but was just wondering if it should be bolted down to the floor at all.

Thanks!
I struggled with that concept. All the "plans" I found for bars were pretty much free-standing units. On the side where it ends on the wall, I have a 2x4 screwed vertical to the wall and the bar is screwed to that. I also have a 2x4 ledger board running horizontal to support the 12" shelf/bartop extension running along the wall. That is where the beer tower will go.

The bar itself is pretty heavy. It is 1/2 in maple plywood on the inside with 1x4s in the middle and 3/4 in oak plywood on the outside. A big sandwich. It would probably be pretty stable on its own, but I don't trust that.

On the corner away from the wall I anchored 2x4s to the floor (power nailer into the foundation) and attached the bar corner to that. Just like a wall footer. It keeps everything stable and also keeps the bar corner square. In the end, I was impressed by how solid everything feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymail View Post
Looks great! What is the brand of dimmable LEDs you used?

The brand is Nora. They are 4" LED recessed cans. Bought them online from "CansAndFans." They were easy to work with and I have been very happy with the lights. The "antique bronze" finish works well with the wood ceiling.

I am using the Lutron "Maestro" dimmers. Although this particular LED was not "certified" for the Maestro switches (they are for other Lutron LED dimmers) I went Maestro anyway because I needed three switches for those lights (two 3-way and one 4-way switch). The Maestro line allows for this (and more) switches. Everything works and they are silent at all levels of brightness.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
which mount did you choose to go with for the SONY?

Insert pithy comment here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page