HT-friendly Living Room Layout? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-08-2014, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question HT-friendly Living Room Layout?

I just closed on my first very own home, a spacious condo in a good neighborhood. Moving from a cramped shared place I'm happy with the purchase (there's more space than I know what to do with), but I realized that arranging the living room in an HT-friendly manner would be tricky. It's important for me to decide on the layout asap because of speaker placement, really; I might be doing work on the ceiling so it's the best time to lay conduit.

1. I'm looking for advice on speaker placement - once I get that I think everything else would fall into place.
  • I have a 50" Panny plasma and a basic 5.1 setup that I'm happy with (Polk Audio towers for fronts, TL1 satellites for surrounds..for now).
  • As you can tell, the trickiest problem is that while there's plenty of space, the longest stretch of opposing walls is 7 ft.
  • If I put the TV along the N/S walls I can't put the speakers more than 7 ft apart, and it'd be a shame to have such a narrow sound field in such a wide space?
  • I'm not a feng shui zealot but I love the balcony, tree-lined view, and line of sight from the entrance to the dining area. If I go for the layout in map#2 I wonder if it will be too obstructive (both visually and every time I walk from the bedrooms to the kitchen). Also I'd get plenty of glare during daytime viewing?
  • To further complicate matters, in a previous place and time I owned a projector and enjoyed projecting on the wall, getting a huge picture, zooming for widescreen, etc. I'd love to allow for that future option.

My best idea is laid out in Map #2 . (I like the 8' distance to the TV, if I get a projector I could move the sofa back a bit.) I'd mount the surrounds to the ceiling (not in-ceiling, there's a neighbor upstairs...)

2. I'm thinking of running conduit to one of the X marks for future projector mounting. The right X is the center of the room but I think I'd always be offset to the left to leave plenty of walking space(?).. Hence the left X. What do you think? Which spot is better? Is the difference negligible with modern projectors` offset capabilities?

3. All that space between the TV area and the balcony... what should I put there? (doesn't have to be HT-related )

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LivingRoom.png
Views:	66
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	407937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Map 2 HT option.png
Views:	67
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	407945   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR panorama copy.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	407946  

Last edited by DrewL; 12-08-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewL View Post
I just closed on my first very own home, a spacious condo in a good neighborhood. Moving from a cramped shared place I'm happy with the purchase (there's more space than I know what to do with), but I realized that arranging the living room in an HT-friendly manner would be tricky. It's important for me to decide on the layout asap because of speaker placement, really; I might be doing work on the ceiling so it's the best time to lay conduit.

1. I'm looking for advice on speaker placement - once I get that I think everything else would fall into place.
  • I have a 50" Panny plasma and a basic 5.1 setup that I'm happy with (Polk Audio towers for fronts, TL1 satellites for surrounds..for now).
  • As you can tell, the trickiest problem is that while there's plenty of space, the longest stretch of opposing walls is 7 ft.
  • If I put the TV along the N/S walls I can't put the speakers more than 7 ft apart, and it'd be a shame to have such a narrow sound field in such a wide space?
  • I'm not a feng shui zealot but I love the balcony, tree-lined view, and line of sight from the entrance to the dining area. If I go for the layout in map#2 I wonder if it will be too obstructive (both visually and every time I walk from the bedrooms to the kitchen). Also I'd get plenty of glare during daytime viewing?
  • To further complicate matters, in a previous place and time I owned a projector and enjoyed projecting on the wall, getting a huge picture, zooming for widescreen, etc. I'd love to allow for that future option.

My best idea is laid out in Map #2 . (I like the 8' distance to the TV, if I get a projector I could move the sofa back a bit.) I'd mount the surrounds to the ceiling (not in-ceiling, there's a neighbor upstairs...)

2. I'm thinking of running conduit to one of the X marks for future projector mounting. The right X is the center of the room but I think I'd always be offset to the left to leave plenty of walking space(?).. Hence the left X. What do you think? Which spot is better? Is the difference negligible with modern projectors` offset capabilities?

3. All that space between the TV area and the balcony... what should I put there? (doesn't have to be HT-related )

Thanks!
Since the living area is an open space, you have a lot of room to work with

From a purely technical standpoint, map #2 looks like it would work well, as it offers the most 'enclosed' space to work with. However, I personally don't like that layout in terms of the overall aesthetic. First of all, when you first enter your condo from the front door, you are immediately standing in your "living room". Similarly, when watching TV, the entrance is just off to the right. I think having your living space/sitting area deeper inside your condo would create a greater sense of comfort and privacy.

Have you considered placing the TV on the shared bedroom wall? It would give you a little more width to work with, if/when you ever get a bigger TV or PJ screen. Since it would be adjacent to the dining area, that means anyone sitting in that area can also see the TV. You can always install blackout curtains along the balcony doors if you want to reduce the amount of light leaking in during the day for more critical viewing. The couch/sofa might partially block the sightline from the front door to the balcony, but really, it should be low enough that the only part of the view it would cut off is below the railing.

Totally unrelated, but if it's within your means to do so, I would also think of opening up that wall separating the kitchen. It would open up the space even more, and make it work much better as an entertaining space.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-08-2014, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks, tezster!
The problem I see with placing the TV on the shared bedroom wall is the placement of the left front speaker. If the listening position is too far south, the sofa would obstruct the way to the kitchen, and otherwise, the left front ends up needing to be almost in front of the entrance door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page