Fajita123's basement build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-02-2015, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fajita123's basement build

Getting started on finishing the basement tomorrow, which will include a bar and general home theatre / entertainment area.

About the space:
  • 1450 SF
  • 8' walls - open web joists with steel beam, so no bulkhead/soffits to worry about
  • 2 spare bedrooms, one will be shared as an office
  • Full bath
  • Play area for kids
  • Utility room (where AV rack will be located)
  • Storage
  • Bar/entertainment/theatre area

Display:
The plan is to have a plasma mounted on the wall with a motorized screen in front. Currently shopping for the plasma before stock runs too low. I just missed out on an F8500 last weekend, so kind up upset about that.

I'm hoping to install a 135" 16:9 screen. It would need to be AT and preferably tensioned, which seem to be pretty pricey in the digging I've done so far. I'd like to have it recessed into the ceiling between joists.

The projector is also TBD. I'm keeping an eye on pricing for the Sony HW-40ES and 55ES.

Speakers/subs:
Currently own Klipsch system consisting of:
  • L/R: RF-82
  • C: RC-62
  • RS: RB-61
  • S:RS-62
  • Sub: Currently have a cheap Polk sub, but plan to build two marty subs (SI-18? UXL?).

I plan to wire for Atmos/MDA and purchase 4 in-ceiling speakers. Not decided yet, but would like to stick with Klipsch unless I have a good reason not to.

Receiver:
Currently own a Denon 2311, but will upgrade once DTS MDA is supported (hopefully along with Atmos). I like Audyssey so will probably stick with Denon or Marantz in the future.

Planned Uses:
  • 50% movies (PS4/HTPC for now)
  • 25% gaming (PS4 & PC)
  • 15% TV (HTPC)
  • 10% music (HTPC)

Pictures and floorplans to follow...

Last edited by fajita123; 02-03-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Formatting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-02-2015, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

This is looking from the bar towards the screen wall. The little alcove to the right will be storage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	shane iphone 5s 033 (Large).JPG
Views:	291
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	521073

The smaller spare room (black tape on floor), mechanical room and washroom. The left is where the stairs come down. Play area will be between stairs and bedroom:

Name:	shane iphone 5s 035.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	521089

The other spare room, with the bar being on the right wall of this room:

Name:	shane iphone 5s 037.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	521097

Panoramic shot:

Name:	shane iphone 5s 038.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	521105

Play area / stairs:

Name:	shane iphone 5s 040.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	521113

Looking into basement from stairs:

Name:	shane iphone 5s 041.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	521121

Last edited by fajita123; 02-03-2015 at 11:48 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-03-2015, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Floorplan. No dimensions shown here, having issues in Visio so I may look to use one of the online floorplanners I see used on here.

Name:	Floorplan 0.0.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	522497

Last edited by fajita123; 02-03-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-03-2015, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Day 1 progress. We're required by code to "float" walls here due to expansive soils, makes things go a little slow.

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	523921

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	523929

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	523937
post #5 of 15 Old 02-03-2015, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was going to do an at screen in front of my plasma too, but then my guy pointed out that the light that transmits through the perfs would reflect off the screen glass and create sparkles though,the screen. Then I decided to go with floor mounted speakers instead of the wall mounted Paradigm millennias.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-04-2015, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp2k View Post
I was going to do an at screen in front of my plasma too, but then my guy pointed out that the light that transmits through the perfs would reflect off the screen glass and create sparkles though,the screen. Then I decided to go with floor mounted speakers instead of the wall mounted Paradigm millennias.

Dang, that's a good point. My problem is the pj screen would be ~4' closer to seating position than the plasma due to the recessed area in the foundation. I'm not sure how I'd get me centre channel that far out from the wall.

Thanks for this, I'll have to give it some more thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 15 Old 02-04-2015, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Day 2 progress...

Looking from the stairs at the play area and smaller bedroom with mechanical room in the background:

Name:	image1 (1).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	526881

Looking from the stairs towards the bathroom and larger bedroom:

Name:	image2 (1).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	526889

Direct look at smaller bedroom and playroom:

Views:	161
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	526905

Name:	image7.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	526937

Direct look at larger bedroom and bathroom, sorry for lack of light:

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	526921

Name:	image5.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	526929

Any suggestions on light reflecting off of TV screen back through an AT screen? If nothing else, I guess I can just cover the TV when using the PJ if it's an issue...
post #8 of 15 Old 02-09-2015, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Updated floorplan showing dimensions:

Name:	Floorplan 2.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	535009

Any suggestions for changes before I get too far into this? I'm a little concerned with the screen / seating positions being off-centre in the room. Without hanging the surrounds from the ceiling, I won't be able to have them symmetrical.

Framing is now complete and all AV materials have arrived from Monoprice. Ready to start wiring and plumbing.

Panoramic from corner behind bar area:

Name:	image10.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	535089

Looking towards screen wall:

Name:	image9.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	535081

Name:	image8.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	535073

Views:	132
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	535033

Bedrooms:

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	535041

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	535017
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image5.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	535049  
post #9 of 15 Old 02-12-2015, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Looks good. Are you doing the work by yourself?
post #10 of 15 Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBurns View Post
Looks good. Are you doing the work by yourself?
Thanks. Subbed framing out, doing electrical and plumbing myself but will likely sub drywall out.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-12-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Looking really good. That floating floor thing I've never seen before. Glad I didn't have to do that in my build! I did all the framing myself and that looks like a pita to me . Looks like your contractor did a nice job though of framing. I did everything myself except the drywall and the plumbing. I did all the concrete work but I had a plumber in to actually do the pipes. Drywall is doable but if you can hire it out I recommend doing so. I didn't want to mess with it especially the tape and mud! And by the time I finally got to the point of dry walling I wanted to get things moving! It took me forever to frame, insulate and make sure I have every cable/chase run done that I wanted. I dry walled the ceiling too so it took me a long time in planning. I even insulated all the water pipes that are in the ceiling so I was happy to farm out the drywall part of it! Keep up the good work. Looks like your moving along nicely.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-12-2015, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Looking really good. That floating floor thing I've never seen before. Glad I didn't have to do that in my build! I did all the framing myself and that looks like a pita to me . Looks like your contractor did a nice job though of framing. I did everything myself except the drywall and the plumbing. I did all the concrete work but I had a plumber in to actually do the pipes. Drywall is doable but if you can hire it out I recommend doing so. I didn't want to mess with it especially the tape and mud! And by the time I finally got to the point of dry walling I wanted to get things moving! It took me forever to frame, insulate and make sure I have every cable/chase run done that I wanted. I dry walled the ceiling too so it took me a long time in planning. I even insulated all the water pipes that are in the ceiling so I was happy to farm out the drywall part of it! Keep up the good work. Looks like your moving along nicely.
Thanks gec. Yea, I framed my last basement but didn't have to worry about the float. I got a really good price from the contractor, so figured I'd save myself the hassle.

Luckily my brother is a plumber so I can get a hand with the stuff I'm not sure about for the cheap price of beer & food.

I'll get pricing on drywall and may consider doing it myself if prices are exorbitant, but I'm worried I would rush things and end up with visible seams if I do it. I'm also planning on drywalling the ceiling, anything you'd do differently in yours? I'll check your build out after work.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Hanging drywall is one thing. You may want to see when you get quotes on how much it would be to do it all and then how much just for tape and mud. For me I could of hung it myself but even that can be tedious and we were trying to it done before xmas. If I had to hang it all it would of taken me weeks when it took a crew of 3 guy's who knew what they were doing one afternoon. The tape and mud is a skill so I didn't even want to attempt that myself. I watched the guy work a little and the tricks and tools he had made his job easier. The cleanup alone was a big enough job for me after all the sanding!!! I about cried when I first started

As for the ceiling so far there isn't really anything I would do differently. Just make sure you think of everything that you may want. I wanted to be able to pull electric and non electric out to my garage so I ran a conduit for electric from my panel to the garage and also a smurf tube run with pull string for speaker and network if ever needed. Also I wanted to do movie or sports night in the back yard with the projector so I ran a smurf tube run to the back yard as well. Everything TV,speaker, or network terminates into my utility room in the basement so all smurf tube runs go there. If your not sure what smurf tube is I show it's use in my build. Basically a nice easy chase track for low voltage things. I'm happy I dry walled my ceiling. Definitely make sure you plan it out though! I spent a LOT of time planning and making sure I can get to what I wanted/needed to before the drywall went up. There are some really nice drop ceiling options as well but they get pretty pricey so I said screw it and dry walled. So far I don't regret it. Oh one more thing I did is I also insulated all my water pipes in the ceiling before sealing them up. I didn't want condensation dripping off of them onto the drywall.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-12-2015, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Hanging drywall is one thing. You may want to see when you get quotes on how much it would be to do it all and then how much just for tape and mud. For me I could of hung it myself but even that can be tedious and we were trying to it done before xmas. If I had to hang it all it would of taken me weeks when it took a crew of 3 guy's who knew what they were doing one afternoon. The tape and mud is a skill so I didn't even want to attempt that myself. I watched the guy work a little and the tricks and tools he had made his job easier. The cleanup alone was a big enough job for me after all the sanding!!! I about cried when I first started

As for the ceiling so far there isn't really anything I would do differently. Just make sure you think of everything that you may want. I wanted to be able to pull electric and non electric out to my garage so I ran a conduit for electric from my panel to the garage and also a smurf tube run with pull string for speaker and network if ever needed. Also I wanted to do movie or sports night in the back yard with the projector so I ran a smurf tube run to the back yard as well. Everything TV,speaker, or network terminates into my utility room in the basement so all smurf tube runs go there. If your not sure what smurf tube is I show it's use in my build. Basically a nice easy chase track for low voltage things. I'm happy I dry walled my ceiling. Definitely make sure you plan it out though! I spent a LOT of time planning and making sure I can get to what I wanted/needed to before the drywall went up. There are some really nice drop ceiling options as well but they get pretty pricey so I said screw it and dry walled. So far I don't regret it. Oh one more thing I did is I also insulated all my water pipes in the ceiling before sealing them up. I didn't want condensation dripping off of them onto the drywall.
Awesome, thanks! Love the idea of conduit to the back yard, probably wouldn't have thought of that.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-09-2015, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update. Pics to follow once I've had a chance to clean up some more:
  • Plumbing rough in is complete, with the bar/bathroom and gas lines ran to garage and backyard for future use.
  • Electrical is 75%. Just 4 pot lights, receptacles to seating/screen wall left and some stapling (a lot of the work is being done when the kids are sleeping, so the noisy things are left to weekends).
  • Framing 95%, just some backing for drywall left in the odd area.
  • AV 15%. Ethernet is ran. Speaker wire, HDMI, RCA (subs), RG6 left to go.

Targeting inspections by the end of the month to allow for insulation and drywall in April.

I'm having trouble finding a recessed, AT screen that isn't over $3k. One of the ladies over at EliteScreens is seeing if they have anything in the pipeline or whether they can do a custom run, so we'll see. I'd like to spend closer to $1-1.5k on this if possible.

Question - is it possible to install subwoofer amps in the AV rack and run RCA from there to the subs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page