Best way to test HDMI cable before in-wall installation ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-02-2015, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best way to test HDMI cable before in-wall installation ?

Hi guys ... I have a few long HDMI cables which I'd like to test thoroughly before I do an in-wall installation ... One is the BlueRigger 75ft HDMI cable, and the other is one of those 60ft long RedMere cables from Monoprice .... I need to install both.

Both cables will be used to connect AVR with the projectors.

So far I've tested the RedMere cable a little:

* Watched Thor: TDW in 3D
* Played NFS: Rivals on my PS4 for about 30 minutes
* Played Tomb Raider on my PS4 (its 1080p and 60 fps) for about 15 minutes.

So far its fine, but is there something else I can do to test the bandwidth limits of the cable ? I mean really push it to the limit ?? For example, any test video files with an extremely high bitrate or something ?

I want to be absolutely sure (to the extent possible, of course!) that the cable is 100% reliable before I do an in-wall install, because changing the cable later on will be virtually impossible for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-02-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
If you don't have the exact equipment on-hand (which is typical - and you shouldn't buy a projector until you're really ready to mount it), then you've already done more than the basic sniff-test already.

Regardless, you should run some cat6 cables along with any HDMI cable, for both use as a backup, and because you'll probably want one for Ethernet or other purposes anyway...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I have all the equipment already, the projector, AVR, speakers, etc ... In fact, when I did the aforementioned basic tests, I carried them out via the AVR just like it would be in the real setup ... One 30ft HDMI connecting the PS4 to the AVR, and then the 60ft RedMere cable running from the AVR to the projector ..

I plan to do run CAT6 cables as well, but I don't want to fully rely on this HDMI over Ethernet idea because it didn't work for me when I tried it out recently .. Won't go into the details because I don't want this going off-topic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
I have all the equipment already, the projector, AVR, speakers, etc ... In fact, when I did the aforementioned basic tests, I carried them out via the AVR just like it would be in the real setup ... One 30ft HDMI connecting the PS4 to the AVR, and then the 60ft RedMere cable running from the AVR to the projector ..
Then you're done... Two things you want to test: 1) Does the cable work "at all" (basic connectivity) - this is more important for Redmere cables as they do have active components, and 2) Does it work between your chosen AVR and display device - that gets to compatibility and signal quality/strength - which is the harder thing to predict. And you've done both of those, so you're good to go.

Quote:
I plan to do run CAT6 cables as well, but I don't want to fully rely on this HDMI over Ethernet idea because it didn't work for me when I tried it out recently .. Won't go into the details because I don't want this going off-topic
Yeah, for AVR to projector run, certainly no reason to jump to an extender or HDBaseT solution. HDMI cable should do. Cat6 is a backup, but could also be used for Ethernet connectivity (IP control / FW update) for the projector itself...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-02-2015, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

The BlueRigger 75ft Active HDMI cable actually crapped out on me ... Very disappointed as I've purchased several BlueRigger cables over the last 2-3 years, and none ever failed ... This cable initially works, but after 5-7 minutes of gaming, flickering starts ... My theory is that the 'active' chip inside the cable overheats or something, which causes flickering .. Maybe it can't keep up with the speed at which it's receiving input .. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page