Multiple TV set up Questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-17-2015, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Multiple TV set up Questions

I am purchasing a new (to me) house and have received permission from the wife to create a decent Man Cave. I want to have a 3 TV set up. I am looking at the Vizio P70 for the center tv with a Vizio P50 on each side. I want to be able to game on one, watch tv on another and surf the internet on the third. Also want to be able to watch tv on all 3 (football season). I will have a receiver and surround system hooked up, as well as computer, ps4, & xbox one. Is it going to be difficult to control them all if the TV's are the same brand? Is there a universal remote that will handle all of that well? Any tips or advice for putting this together would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-17-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Are you doing all this over the air (OTA) and using the TV tuner? If so, your remote will be much simpler if you use different brands. This is a non-trivial set of switching as well, if you want any one of the three to provide audio and want any source on any TV. There are things called matrix switches that can do this, but it might be better to say one of the boxes is for the XBOX, one is for the internet and one is primarily TV.

You will run into the same issue if you are using cable boxes for the various TVs. They will all use the same remote code. You can play games by having one feed from a TIVO with cablecard. You might find the whole thing simpler with a DISH or DirecTV receiver with extender box (Joey).
post #3 of 10 Old 03-17-2015, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post
Are you doing all this over the air (OTA) and using the TV tuner? If so, your remote will be much simpler if you use different brands. This is a non-trivial set of switching as well, if you want any one of the three to provide audio and want any source on any TV. There are things called matrix switches that can do this, but it might be better to say one of the boxes is for the XBOX, one is for the internet and one is primarily TV.

You will run into the same issue if you are using cable boxes for the various TVs. They will all use the same remote code. You can play games by having one feed from a TIVO with cablecard. You might find the whole thing simpler with a DISH or DirecTV receiver with extender box (Joey).
Thank you for your response.

My sources will be either a DirecTV or AT&T receiver, Xbox one, PS4 or a Desktop computer. If all the TVs are Vizio, is there a way to control the 3 TV's independently (for instance, powering one on without the other two also turning on)? Is there a universal remote that will handle that? I have very briefly looked into the iRule & Roomie, but it doesn't look like they work with Vizio?

Thank for the Matrix idea, I was not familiar with them. After looking at them I think that will solve a lot of problems input wise. However in looking at them, the ones I see max out at 3820x2160 at 30fps. If I am gaming on a computer, I am guessing that will limit my fps. Would it also effect the lag time? One of the reasons (besides the price) that I am going with P series Vizios is because of the fast response time for gaming, so I would hate to negate that feature by using a matrix switch.

If I go with DirecTV and get a dedicated receive and an extender, will the remotes for each control both at the same time, like a vizio remote would control all 3 tvs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-17-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The remote is not the problem. It is that the manufacturers only place a single set of remote codes in the receiver. So if you have 3 similar Vizio TVs in the room, pressing power on the remote will turn all three on. There are some tricks you can play, but they will cost money. One is to buy the higher end remote that has RF capability and then get RF to IR conversion dongles that get taped over each TVs remote window. I've never done this or researched it, so I can't be of more specific help. Sorry.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-17-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

some other thoughts. Some upper end TVs have RS-232 ports for control. My Epson projector can do this. That takes the remote out of the infrared spectrum and could be controlled by a laptop instead.

There is this solution from monoprice, intended for sports bars that might work (at a price)
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

This one is less expensive and has better specs than the ones you found, but doesn't address the remote issue
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
post #6 of 10 Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. I think that 2nd 4x4 matrix switch may work. It doesn't look like the Vizios have the RS-232 connections on them. Thanks for the help Jayn.

Does anyone else have any advice or tips that you have come across with a multi tv set up? Am I just screwed with the remote issue if I go with the 3 vizios? Does anyone have Directv with an extender? Does one remote control a receiver and extender or could you place them side by side and use with different remotes?

If I were to go with different brand TV's for the smaller 50's, what would you recommend for model#s? What would be the best way to control everything If I did go with 3 different brands?

Thanks again in advance!
post #7 of 10 Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking to do something similar in a new house that I purchasing. What is the latest thinking on this setup? I would like to control direcTV, playstation, dvr, and Firetv over the 3 TV setup in one room. Thanks for your guys help for a av newbie.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-23-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjunkie View Post
Looking to do something similar in a new house that I purchasing. What is the latest thinking on this setup? I would like to control direcTV, playstation, dvr, and Firetv over the 3 TV setup in one room. Thanks for your guys help for a av newbie.
Can anyone help with this one? TIA
post #9 of 10 Old 12-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 98
My plan is an HDMI matrix and a Logitech Harmony Elite. The plan is to use the matrix to distribute the audio / video and to use the elite IR out from the hub to control the TVs independently. That way they can all be the same brand and I shouldn't have issues with the remote.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do things, but it's what I've come up with from my reading.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
My plan is an HDMI matrix and a Logitech Harmony Elite. The plan is to use the matrix to distribute the audio / video and to use the elite IR out from the hub to control the TVs independently. That way they can all be the same brand and I shouldn't have issues with the remote.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do things, but it's what I've come up with from my reading.
Thanks for your response. I will look into something similar. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page