• 3 Post By jautor
  • 1 Post By Neurorad

post #1 of 20 Old 04-01-2015, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Covering hole in drywall

How would I covert hole that I made for rough in wiring?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	639169  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-01-2015, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
How big is that hole? A standard wall plate is 2.75 x 4.5 inches. You can get them with binding posts for the speaker wire, or alternatively just a small hole in the middle of the plate for the wire to poke through.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-01-2015, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
How big is that hole? A standard wall plate is 2.75 x 4.5 inches. You can get them with binding posts for the speaker wire, or alternatively just a small hole in the middle of the plate for the wire to poke through.
This picture is just example but I want to do same thing so opening will be standard size..I would like plate to not have any holes......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-01-2015, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribor40 View Post
This picture is just example but I want to do same thing so opening will be standard size..I would like plate to not have any holes......
I'd recommend something like this for the wall plate to screw into, rather than screwing the wall plate directly into dry wall:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-...00RR/100160916

The specs on the bracket don't say the max size the hole can be. You can either guessitmate or get the brackets before cutting (I don't have one handy to measure).
post #5 of 20 Old 04-01-2015, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
How would I covert hole that I made for rough in wiring?
Go to a big box home improvement store, and in the electrical aisle, get yourself an "old work low-voltage box" (might be called a 'ring' or 'bracket' too).

Place the bracket on the wall and you can trace the opening from the back side to get the cutout size (cut just outside the marks). Push the bracket into the hole, and tighten down the screws so that the 'wings' rotate and grasp the drywall from behind.

This gives you the screw points to hold whatever type of cover plate you want to use. And is the correct way to make a low-voltage cable outlet.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Your post isn't clear whether you want future access to the hole. If you do, and the hole is small enough, you can use Jeff's trick.

If you want it to simply go away, do the following.

1. Find a construction site nearby and get a small scrap of plasterboard and two small sticks.
2. Go to the home improvement store and buy the following. Spackling compound. Spray texture. A box of flathead screws. An abrasive sponge or dedicated open file. Paint and paintbrush.
3. place the two strips of wood behind the existing wall and secure them to the wallboard using the flathead screws.
4. Cut the scrap plasterboard to fit in the hole, leaving a small gap on each side.
5. Screw the new plasterboard to the strips in 4 places, two on each strip.
6. Fill in the gaps with the spackling compound and let dry
7. add a second coat to fill in the shrinkage and to cover the entire new section and an inch or two of the existing wallboard. Let dry.
8. Sand this down until level and smooth
9. spray with the texturing compound. Let dry.
10. Paint to match existing wall.

You will never be able to see where you cut into it.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-01-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post
Your post isn't clear whether you want future access to the hole.
LOL! Good point - doesn't really say whether the wire terminates here, or if that hole just needs to be patched!

I answered a similar question about the recessed outlets placed for wall-mount TVs - "what do you do if you don't end up putting a TV there?". My answer:

jayn_j, gec5741 and NickTheGreat like this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
I'd recommend something like this for the wall plate to screw into, rather than screwing the wall plate directly into dry wall:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-...00RR/100160916

The specs on the bracket don't say the max size the hole can be. You can either guessitmate or get the brackets before cutting (I don't have one handy to measure).
This and what Jautor linked are what I use for making any post drywall plates. they have little holes in them that you can use as a template. Just poke a small pen through the four corner holes and then cut connecting the dots and you have the right size hole. then that bracket clamps to the drywall tight and your standard plat will screw into them. they work great!
post #9 of 20 Old 04-01-2015, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
LOL! Good point - doesn't really say whether the wire terminates here, or if that hole just needs to be patched!

I answered a similar question about the recessed outlets placed for wall-mount TVs - "what do you do if you don't end up putting a TV there?". My answer:

Yes i want future access to this wire. But for now i just want to cover it. In the future i want to open it and potentially terminate cat 6 cable and have plug for it
post #10 of 20 Old 04-01-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Yes i want future access to this wire. But for now i just want to cover it. In the future i want to open it and potentially terminate cat 6 cable and have plug for it
Low volt old work box, and a $.19 blank cover plate...

post #11 of 20 Old 04-01-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep id just use the kind linked earlier and then use a blank cover plate.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-02-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I agree. Just wasn't clear on what you actually wanted.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks
post #14 of 20 Old 04-02-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Use the pictured old work low voltage ring, instead of a box. Cheaper, easier to work with, and less kinking of cables.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-08-2015, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Use the pictured old work low voltage ring, instead of a box. Cheaper, easier to work with, and less kinking of cables.
agreed i used them more than a few times they work great
post #16 of 20 Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Go to a big box home improvement store, and in the electrical aisle, get yourself an "old work low-voltage box" (might be called a 'ring' or 'bracket' too).

Place the bracket on the wall and you can trace the opening from the back side to get the cutout size (cut just outside the marks). Push the bracket into the hole, and tighten down the screws so that the 'wings' rotate and grasp the drywall from behind.

This gives you the screw points to hold whatever type of cover plate you want to use. And is the correct way to make a low-voltage cable outlet.

Jeff
These LV old work brackets (I get mine from Home Depot) have tiny holes in the corners, as pictured. Use a pencil and draw a dot in each hole. Connect the dots with a drywall jab saw.
NickTheGreat likes this.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #17 of 20 Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
These LV old work brackets (I get mine from Home Depot) have tiny holes in the corners, as pictured. Use a pencil and draw a dot in each hole. Connect the dots with a drywall jab saw.
Cool! Completely missed that feature and just always used the 'old school' tracing method. That's the hard part about these pieces sold without packaging - no place to provide the instructions on the nifty added features!

post #18 of 20 Old 04-16-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Cool! Completely missed that feature and just always used the 'old school' tracing method. That's the hard part about these pieces sold without packaging - no place to provide the instructions on the nifty added features!
I had never noticed that either! i've bought some of mine elsewhere, but I know I've used and traced the HD ones . . .
post #19 of 20 Old 04-17-2015, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

this
post #20 of 20 Old 04-17-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I had never noticed that either! i've bought some of mine elsewhere, but I know I've used and traced the HD ones . . .
Heheheh yea those holes re handy in making it fool proof in cutting out your hole to the right size! I just take a small point pen and make my marks then use a small hand held drywall saw and cut out my hole and I'm done. Easy as 1,2,3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page