Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-20-2015, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Screen placement HELP Please

Hi All,

My basement is under construction and I'm trying to figure screen placement. I am going with Dragon fly 120" matte white. The wall is 10' wide by 9' high. The OUTER dimensions of the screen are 111" (9'3") wide by 65" (5'5") high.

Where do you mount the screen? How far down from the ceiling? Planning on having 2 rows with second row on 6 or 8" riser.

Total room dimensions are 15'2 wide by 18'4" long.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-20-2015, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I will be mounting mine this week. Same size. I wasn't able to find any rule of thumb for placement. My ceiling height is closer to 8ft.

My plan is to mount just above the center channel leaving at least 3-4" from ceiling. From what I've gathered you can go higher than you typically would. With reclining seats your eyes point up naturally. I Used a dark flat paint to minimize reflection on the ceiling.

Hope that helps a little
post #3 of 8 Old 04-21-2015, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehsmit View Post
Hi All,

My basement is under construction and I'm trying to figure screen placement. I am going with Dragon fly 120" matte white. The wall is 10' wide by 9' high. The OUTER dimensions of the screen are 111" (9'3") wide by 65" (5'5") high.

Where do you mount the screen? How far down from the ceiling? Planning on having 2 rows with second row on 6 or 8" riser.

Measure how high off the floor your eyes are when seated, then subtract 1/3rd of the screen's height. That is where the bottom of the screen belongs.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-21-2015, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Hi All,

I have the Dragon Fly 120" and love it. My ceiling is only 8' and screen is couple inches down from ceiling.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Where do you mount the screen? How far down from the ceiling? Planning on having 2 rows with second row on 6 or 8" riser. .
Check the screen height with the riser calculators to ensure you have it high enough to be fully visible from the 2nd row. Same for your center channel - it also needs "line of sight" to the second row.

The best way to verify all of this is to simply project onto a blank wall, a white sheet, or photographer backdrop paper once you get everything set up (but before you buy a screen). Then you can check both the position and size of the screen before you commit to the screen purchase.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-22-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
As usual, what jeff said

You are going to be extremely tight on adding a second row in an 18 foot room. I chose to go with a bar and stools for my second row in a 19' room.

I found 11' back for eyeballs was about right for a 120" screen. Add another 18" for your head and the seatback and the back of the chair is 12.5 ft back. That only leaves a bit under 6 feet for the second row. Everyone recommends at least 7 ft if you are using recliners, so that will end up pushing the front row closer.

You are also going to be challenged to get the sight lines you need with a 6" riser, or even an 8" one. To get there, you probably need to mount the screen as high as possible, and that will compromise first row viewing angles.

In the end, its all a compromise and you need to figure out which ones you want to make.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-22-2015, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks all for the help. Jayn_j what height riser do you think would be best?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-23-2015, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Thanks all for the help. Jayn_j what height riser do you think would be best?
There are too many variables to tell you an actual answer. Use the seat height calculator or formula available at the links below. My guess is more like 12".

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...alculator.html
http://www.diymovierooms.com/Home-Th...s/Riser-Height
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page