First time poster here! Want to get opinions on the 5.1 Home Theater I just purchased - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-21-2015, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First time poster here! Want to get opinions on the 5.1 Home Theater I just purchased

I recently purchased a 5.1 home theater system from a very good friend of mine. he bought it brand new and has only used ita handful of times since he bought it 2 to 3 years ago. He's my best friend and not hurting for money by any means so I believe I got a great deal. I just wanted to know everyone's opinion on my setup and any suggestions on a few things I will mention later. anyways on to the actual set up. I have a Denon AVR - 2310ci in apart new condition. For my Front and Center channels I'm using Boston Acoustic P442's (also in like new condition) paired with Boston Acoustic Bravo II's for my surround sides. The sub is the only weak point I believe. It's a cheaper looking 100 watt Sony sub with a 10" woofer. It's self powered with just a single RCA hookup. No phase or gain controls or crossover frequency control. It hits hard but not as crisp as is like just doesn't seem to have its own character if that makes any sense. I have this day up in a 15x20 room. Also here's the kicker I only spent $250 for all of it. so first off regardless of what I paid for it how do you guys feel about the setup? knowing that I will soon be getting a competent subwoofer. and then did I get a great deal considering I paid $250? oh and lastly do you guys have any suggestions on adecent subwoofer for $300 or less? I'd like a 10 inch to 12 inch subwoofer that doesn't have to be extremely powerful just something that would complement the Boston Acoustics in a room this size. Thanks for any help. I've been a long time lurker haha I love this community though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-21-2015, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Any input? Hope I put this in the right section
post #3 of 8 Old 04-21-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Try your question in the speaker section and look at the under $300 subwoofer posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2015, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The only important part is whether you feel good about it. You don't need my validation. FWIW, seems ok for an entry level theater and a good price.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-22-2015, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Ok jayn I get your point. I'm very happy with it considering the imo dirty cheap price. I guess the reason I asked was because I'm not sure what the general consensus is on the P442's and Bravo II's or the BA brand altogether. Me importantly are the P442's a decent speaker to use as a front channel as well as a center channel? As well as being paired with the Bravo II's for surround sides? I should have been more detailed. But I 100% agee with you. Shouldn't need validation from others. Thanks for the input from anyone
post #6 of 8 Old 04-22-2015, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Steve. I came across that part soon after this post. I love this forum.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

One more question. Only thing in missing is the Audyssey setup mic. I know I can find one online in sure but is there any other mics that work? Or is it very specific as I'm sure it is?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-23-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedlsj View Post
One more question. Only thing in missing is the Audyssey setup mic. I know I can find one online in sure but is there any other mics that work? Or is it very specific as I'm sure it is?
Pretty much specialized. It needs to be omni-directional and the audessey software has been calibrated to the frequency response curve of that mic. Another mic placed vertically so it got omni-directional response may get something close, but not as exact as you will get from the proper mic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page