Help with hiding read speaker cables/wire - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with hiding read speaker cables/wire

Hi all,

I'm looking to setup some rear speakers in my new lounge room, however, the home is double brick and I am unsure how I am able to hide or manage the rear speaker cable.

I don't really like the idea of using a rug to cover the speaker cables on the floor, nor is the room laid out to have the cable run along the bottom of walls/skirting all the way to the receiver.

Could anyone pass on any recommended solutions or advice?

Appreciate any help.

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Is there open basement under the lounge?
post #3 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Wooden floor boards that sit on top of a concrete slab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Typo in title of post - can it please be changed from read to rear.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Does your room have wall to wall carpeting in it? They do make flat speaker wire that works quite well under carpet.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Bummer on the slab. You could remove the baseboards, cut a channel in the wall for the wires, then replace the baseboards.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 155
There's always the option of wireless speakers, which have supposedly gotten much better. You still have to plug them into a socket however. Depending on your location of speakers and outlets, that can be a small or medium-sized problem (power wires running to the speakers).

Another possible option- can you route wires through the ceiling, then down to the speakers?
post #8 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 389
What's the ceiling like? Attic above? Wiremold on wall, and into ceiling? Floor joists would have to be cooperative!
post #9 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had the same issue. There was no clean way to get the wires from my receiver to my rear speakers. However, there was an outlet on the wall where the rear speakers were to be placed. I ended up going wireless but it took a while to get a setup I really liked. I tried active wireless speakers and wasn't happy with them. I then switched to passive speakers with a separate 100 watt amplifier for each speaker and a wireless transmitter/receiver setup. The first setup was ok but the wireless setup would pickup interference and introduce noise constantly. I went through 3 different wireless transmitter/receiver combos until I found one that has worked flawlessly for the last 2 years.

Obviously this wasn't a cheap solution but it has worked out well and is extremely clean which makes the wife happy.

-Curtiss
post #10 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
Bummer on the slab. You could remove the baseboards, cut a channel in the wall for the wires, then replace the baseboards.
I did this for my bedroom speakers. Works and looks fine.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It may involve a vertical element if there is no possible way to fish up, but have you considered crown molding? Granted, it turns this into a bit bigger of project, but it also opens up avenues for cool LED or rope lighting.On a small scale, check out D-Line quarter round raceway. Stainable and paintable.
http://www.d-line-it.com/products/pr.../quarter-round
For a larger, more dramatic change, check out RowlCrown flexible, removable, PVC crown molding:
http://www.rowlcrown.com/

underachiever extraordinaire

Last edited by weaselfest; 06-05-2015 at 03:30 PM.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxdsrtrat View Post
I had the same issue. There was no clean way to get the wires from my receiver to my rear speakers. However, there was an outlet on the wall where the rear speakers were to be placed. I ended up going wireless but it took a while to get a setup I really liked. I tried active wireless speakers and wasn't happy with them. I then switched to passive speakers with a separate 100 watt amplifier for each speaker and a wireless transmitter/receiver setup. The first setup was ok but the wireless setup would pickup interference and introduce noise constantly. I went through 3 different wireless transmitter/receiver combos until I found one that has worked flawlessly for the last 2 years.

Obviously this wasn't a cheap solution but it has worked out well and is extremely clean which makes the wife happy.

-Curtiss
Curious, which units did you try and which won out?
post #13 of 15 Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Curious, which units did you try and which won out?
This was about 4 years ago so I'm sure technology has changed and gotten better...

The first solution was a Rocketfish setup. Although the audio sounded okay the setup had it's own amp and it just sounded "thin".

The second setup was with a pair of 150 watt mono amps and a Soundcast wireless transmitter/receive pair. This setup when it worked sounded good but had frequent audio drop outs while watching movies and would "freak out" in the middle of the night and wake me up with popping sounds coming form the speakers. I suspect my wi-fi was interfering with it.

The third setup I used a wireless audio/video RF transmitter setup (not using the video side obviously) and this was horrible. Sound quality was absolutely sub par.

The final setup was with Atlantic Technology's WA-50 wireless transmitter/receiver, a pair of Audiosource 102 stereo amps bridged to mono for 150 watts and my original Infinity speakers from my old house's setup that matched my fronts. I've been very happy with this setup. I was skeptical at first because the Atlantic technology setup was tiny compared to what I had tried and it was also cheaper. It's a bit of a waste to use my receiver to only power the front speakers but it also takes a load off the receiver.

-Curtiss
post #14 of 15 Old 06-06-2015, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxdsrtrat View Post
This was about 4 years ago so I'm sure technology has changed and gotten better...

The first solution was a Rocketfish setup. Although the audio sounded okay the setup had it's own amp and it just sounded "thin".

The second setup was with a pair of 150 watt mono amps and a Soundcast wireless transmitter/receive pair. This setup when it worked sounded good but had frequent audio drop outs while watching movies and would "freak out" in the middle of the night and wake me up with popping sounds coming form the speakers. I suspect my wi-fi was interfering with it.

The third setup I used a wireless audio/video RF transmitter setup (not using the video side obviously) and this was horrible. Sound quality was absolutely sub par.

The final setup was with Atlantic Technology's WA-50 wireless transmitter/receiver, a pair of Audiosource 102 stereo amps bridged to mono for 150 watts and my original Infinity speakers from my old house's setup that matched my fronts. I've been very happy with this setup. I was skeptical at first because the Atlantic technology setup was tiny compared to what I had tried and it was also cheaper. It's a bit of a waste to use my receiver to only power the front speakers but it also takes a load off the receiver.

-Curtiss
Any issues in setup in terms of the delays? I've only used the Infinity wireless system that came built into my subs (Infinity PSW310s), no issues at all but that's just bass frequencies which are the easier part of this type of wireless from what I've read. Probably Sonos' slightly different dedicated network approach is more the avenue for the future than simply sharing simply radio transmissions on the same frequencies with all the other appliances. I think the demand for such is on the rise now that people realize it can be an option, seems Sonos is doing okay with it, but I think they need a competitor....
post #15 of 15 Old 06-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Any issues in setup in terms of the delays? I've only used the Infinity wireless system that came built into my subs (Infinity PSW310s), no issues at all but that's just bass frequencies which are the easier part of this type of wireless from what I've read. Probably Sonos' slightly different dedicated network approach is more the avenue for the future than simply sharing simply radio transmissions on the same frequencies with all the other appliances. I think the demand for such is on the rise now that people realize it can be an option, seems Sonos is doing okay with it, but I think they need a competitor....
The delay is fairly minimal and any delay introduced would have been corrected by my receivers equalization program when I calibrated the speakers.

-Curtiss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page