Building a Home Theater (Room Layout attached) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-30-2015, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation Building a Home Theater (Room Layout attached)

Hey guys, new poster, longtime lurker.

Ok, so I'm building out a home theater setup. Getting married mid-august so I have to wait until after the wedding to get the projector and screen, however I found a crazy good deal on Craigslist and got THIS receiver and THIS speaker/sub set for $200 so I couldn't pass it up.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to set up the surround sound given my room setup. We live in a bi-level house so the living room is slightly underground, 10 foot ceilings, and probably about 25 feet from the front part of the wall that the TV (soon to be projector screen) is on to the back of the couch. (layout below)

So, given the setup I bought, I know where the 2 front speakers and the center should go, however I'm having some trouble figuring out where the other 4 speakers should be placed.

The way the tv / screen is set up I have a floating shelf/entertainment console under it, so I can put the 2 standing front speakers on either side, set the center on top of it, and I have to measure it still/decide if theres a better location but thinking maybe put the sub under the floating console.

Currently, the couch is pretty much centered with the wall (wall cuts off and goes to dining room), so the mojo of the room is going to be thrown off if I move it away from the side wall (currently about a 1 foot gap between couch and side wall) and there is a little room to play with how far I can move the couch off of the back wall (currently about a 10 inch gap) but I don't want to move it TOO far off the back wall as to make it look awkwardly far off.

However, with the current given setup, or with maybe some slight movement, what would be the best place to put the 4 other speakers? I have wall mounts so I don't really have to worry about getting them off the wall, but I would obviously like to obtain as good of a sound experience as I possibly can.

Thanks guys, this really isn't my expertise what-so-ever, but would like to tackle this myself instead of paying hundreds of dollars to have someone come in and look at it, in which I could save the money or put it towards buying better equipment.

Any and all help is appreciated! If there's any other details I may have left out or that you'd like to know please let me know! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-30-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 6925 Post(s)
Liked: 5894
IF your seating was several feet away from the back wall, you could have done a traditional 7.1 speaker layout: 3 fronts, 2 sides, 2 rears.

However, with your seating almost against the back wall, I would place a single pair of surrounds in the back corners (mounted a couple feet above ear level, pointed towards the main listening seat).

The other two speakers can be used for heights (your receiver has that capability). I would mount them on the ceiling, half way between the front speakers and surround speakers. That will turn a two-dimensional ring of sound into a 3D bubble of sound around you.

Sanjay
post #3 of 5 Old 06-30-2015, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! So actually I've never heard of or seen ceiling mounted surround sounds.

Where would I put them? In the corners, parallel with the lower rear ones, or directly above where im sitting? offset from the rear ones (the ones that are 2-3 feet above ears).

Also, does it matter that my ceilings are 10 feet tall for ceiling speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-30-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 6925 Post(s)
Liked: 5894
The surrounds are the ones that will be in the back corners of the room. The ones above you are usually referred to as height speakers.

Where you mount the heights is not critical, since they don't contain directional sounds, just ambient information. Some people mount them high up on the front wall, above the main L/R speakers. This makes your front soundstage appear taller. I think they sound better when mounted on the ceiling, about mid way between the fronts and your listening position. This gives more of an impression of a bubble of sound.

Sanjay
post #5 of 5 Old 07-19-2015, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hi!

I'm getting ready to do this install and just wanted to pick your brain(s) again before i do so.

So I've been doing some reading around online and apparently everyone has an opinion of what the best way to install a surround sound system is, which makes it difficult to get any direct info.

However, I did read a few things when looking into what to do if you don't have much space behind your couch to mount the rear surrounds and heard a few different things and wanted to get your take on what the best way would be.

Also as an FYI, while when we have guests over people are all over the couch, the "top" part of the couch in that picture is actually a chaise lounger and is where we spend a good chunk of our time. Obviously this will make it so that one of the rear surround would be very close to our ear while the other one is on the other side of the couch. A lot of people seem to say "just get a nicer 3.0 system", but I got a runaway steal of a deal on this 7.1 system and would really like to make it work. I'm not an audiophile, but I do want the best experience possible from what I can make of it.

With that, I've read that with little space behind the couch to mount the speakers facing each other, and some say to maybe even put them higher up on the ceiling so that they're not right in your ears and gives more room for the sound to bounce around and diffuse off of things before getting to your ear. I thought this might be a good idea since we'll be sitting on the upper end of the couch most of the time? Or would it still be better to have the rears a few inches above our head and try to adjust the settings through the system to give an appropriate volume/sound? I do have 10 foot ceilings so I'm not sure if that would be too high for the rears? Also, should the speakers face each other, or towards our heads?

I did decide that I am going to go with your "bubble of sound" idea @sdurani , and mount the "height speakers" on the ceiling halfway between us and the front speakers.

Thanks for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
home , sound , surround , theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page