The Small Theater Project - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 05-30-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 2691
Great job in your space! I'm considering an upgrade from my Panny 3000 to the JVC RS400 and was drawn to your positive comments when you upgraded from your Benq to the 400. All the reviews I've read echo all the improvements you've experienced. My questions revolve around two issues that have surfaced with some owners. Can you comment on any observation of (1) banding and (2) the iris pumping? Thanks in advance.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 07-11-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5099 Post(s)
Liked: 3951
Great job. Welcome to our addiction hobby.
hollisesco likes this.

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater Of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin ][Jeremiah 4:1-2
post #33 of 44 Old 07-20-2016, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
If I get another subwoofer I'm pretty convinced my wife will murder me.
She won't kill you. Just send your kid to the grandparents and take her out to a nice dinner (or two). Maybe buy her something.
AllenA07 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 10-17-2016, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Great looking room and I bet it sounds killer!!
AllenA07 likes this.
post #35 of 44 Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How long is your projector mount? i could do with one that's about 1 meter long, to either mount to the wall or possibly the ceiling.

Last edited by vI M4YH3Mz Iv; 10-17-2016 at 10:58 AM.
post #36 of 44 Old 11-29-2016, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by vI M4YH3Mz Iv View Post
How long is your projector mount? i could do with one that's about 1 meter long, to either mount to the wall or possibly the ceiling.
Only 6 weeks late on this response, I probably should subscribe to this thread. I'm actually using a new projector mount now (as well as a new projector then what appears in the pictures). I've got a Chief mount plus an extension rod that is adjustable between 18-24 inches. The mount I had for the BenQ was something I grabbed on the cheap from Amazon. While the description claimed it cold hold up to 40 pounds, I had my doubts and wasn't really wanting to risk my JVC on what looked like a rather flimsy mount.
sparky7 and Copperhorse73 like this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #37 of 44 Old 11-30-2016, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Only 6 weeks late on this response, I probably should subscribe to this thread. I'm actually using a new projector mount now (as well as a new projector then what appears in the pictures). I've got a Chief mount plus an extension rod that is adjustable between 18-24 inches. The mount I had for the BenQ was something I grabbed on the cheap from Amazon. While the description claimed it cold hold up to 40 pounds, I had my doubts and wasn't really wanting to risk my JVC on what looked like a rather flimsy mount.
No worries, thanks for the reply though.
post #38 of 44 Old 11-30-2016, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cozy setup!
post #39 of 44 Old 01-13-2017, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I had not updated in a while so I thought I would come by and mention the recent projects. The newest piece of gear arrived last week in the form of the Oppo UHD-203. Still working on getting it totally setup, but it is a very nice upgrade and with the strip metadata feature my JVC RS400 is giving me some awesome images.

Also over the last 4-5 months I have been working on blacking the room out. Not a finished project yet, but black velvet is slowly covering the entire room. I also decided (about 6 months ago) to deal with a pesky window in the back of the room. The solution was simple and reversible. I bought a few panels of foam core board and duct taped them together and placed them over the actual window. I already had nice wood blinds in the room which were strong enough to hold the board in place. I closed the blinds as well for the extra light control that would give. I then took my blackout curtain I had been using and removed the curtain rod. I proceeded to nail the curtain to the walls in the corner, and then use thumb tacks to seal the sides. Even during the middle of the day I'm not seeing any light coming through that window anymore.

I've also made velvet "jackets" for my EMP's and the table in the front of the room to help with the glare. I'll throw in a picture that shows the front of the room as it looks right now. If you notice on the side of my screen those little silver dots, those are actually magnets. I have made some masking for my screen which has also helped with getting the room darker. They attach to those magnets. Obviously in this picture I don't have the masks in place.

post #40 of 44 Old 01-26-2017, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Great thread. Your equipment is very similar to what I am thinking of doing in a similar sized space. A couple of questions. Regarding the SVS Prime satellites for your Atmos speakers: I know these are not "Atmos-certified." Does that make any difference in the performance? Did you consider Atmos-certified speakers when you were setting up your theater? What are you thoughts on your front speakers? Did you (or would you) consider the SVS Prime towers and center for the front sound stage?

Last edited by socalsharky; 01-26-2017 at 06:11 PM.
post #41 of 44 Old 06-12-2017, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post
Great thread. Your equipment is very similar to what I am thinking of doing in a similar sized space. A couple of questions. Regarding the SVS Prime satellites for your Atmos speakers: I know these are not "Atmos-certified." Does that make any difference in the performance? Did you consider Atmos-certified speakers when you were setting up your theater? What are you thoughts on your front speakers? Did you (or would you) consider the SVS Prime towers and center for the front sound stage?
I need to get better about responding! To answer these questions I did not really give much thought to an Atmos certified speaker. As of right now I don't believe there are any non-reflection based speakers on the market that are Atmos certified. For various reasons I did not want to go with the reflection style Atmos setup. From everything I have read Atmos works better with direct firing speakers, the reflection design limits the area that is going to be able to hear get the effect. The other issue I would have had is that I had previously treated the point of first reflection on my ceiling.

As far as considering the SVS Prime towers, when I bought my speakers those were not on the market. If they were I would have given them some serious consideration. If I were to upgrade today I would more likely look at the Ultra speaker lineup. The move from my EMP Impression speakers to SVS Prime towers would be a lateral move at best.

post #42 of 44 Old 07-19-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
I need to get better about responding! To answer these questions I did not really give much thought to an Atmos certified speaker.
I wanted to see how "ugly" your small theater was, but unfortunately it's been bitten by the photo-eating bug (as so many have). Kicked over the 'bucket', as it were.

Any possibly you might relocate your images to a more hospitable new home?
post #43 of 44 Old 07-20-2017, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post
I wanted to see how "ugly" your small theater was, but unfortunately it's been bitten by the photo-eating bug (as so many have). Kicked over the 'bucket', as it were.

Any possibly you might relocate your images to a more hospitable new home?
I promise you that my theater is complete function over form. I'm actually still seeing the photos showing up on my side, however I figured this was going to be a problem. I'm working on a solution to move some pictures over to a different system so hopefully that will remedy this problem.

post #44 of 44 Old 02-16-2019, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I had not updated in a while so I thought I would come by and mention the recent projects. The newest piece of gear arrived last week in the form of the Oppo UHD-203. Still working on getting it totally setup, but it is a very nice upgrade and with the strip metadata feature my JVC RS400 is giving me some awesome images.

Also over the last 4-5 months I have been working on blacking the room out. Not a finished project yet, but black velvet is slowly covering the entire room. I also decided (about 6 months ago) to deal with a pesky window in the back of the room. The solution was simple and reversible. I bought a few panels of foam core board and duct taped them together and placed them over the actual window. I already had nice wood blinds in the room which were strong enough to hold the board in place. I closed the blinds as well for the extra light control that would give. I then took my blackout curtain I had been using and removed the curtain rod. I proceeded to nail the curtain to the walls in the corner, and then use thumb tacks to seal the sides. Even during the middle of the day I'm not seeing any light coming through that window anymore.

I've also made velvet "jackets" for my EMP's and the table in the front of the room to help with the glare. I'll throw in a picture that shows the front of the room as it looks right now. If you notice on the side of my screen those little silver dots, those are actually magnets. I have made some masking for my screen which has also helped with getting the room darker. They attach to those magnets. Obviously in this picture I don't have the masks in place.

Very interesting... Could you please tell me how screen masking is helping the room look darker? I assume you mean top and bottom on a 16:9 screen?
The reason I ask, is I just got a bigger screen, and am noticing the room is so much brighter...

Yamaha Aventage 3060, 7.2.4
Goldenear Triton 1's, Supercenter XXL, 4-MPX, 4-652
2-SVS PB-16's
JVC RS500 Pro
137" wide 16:9 V6 AT Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page