7.1 worth it for my room? noob help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By ghanna

post #1 of 17 Old 01-04-2016, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
7.1 worth it for my room? noob help

Hello fellow A/V fans,

I have recently built a 5.1 home theater in my family room. My room it 13’ X 10’ X 8’ (LxWxH) I went with Klipsch R26f fronts, R10SW sub R15m rears and a CC190v6 paradigm center (was given to me)

My question is this: my couch is against the back wall, I have installed the surround speakers in the two back corners (toed in)

Is it worth me getting the other two speakers to make it a 7.1 system, they would have to be installed in the middle of the outside walls, that would make them about 4-6 feet in front of me. They would also have to be mounted close to the ceiling due to doors/windows on each wall.

Will I get good sound out of the system have the surround speakers placed there, and the “back” speakers to my left/right and not very far behind?

I am new to this so sorry for the basic question, I don’t mind spending the $500 on the speakers if they enhance my sound.

Hope you are all having a good new year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
I'd think you'd do better by moving your couch forward some first of all. That's a pretty small room and in a similar size room I find 5ch to be quite adequate but in my largish living room prefer the 7ch.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 6295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanna View Post
Will I get good sound out of the system have the surround speakers placed there, and the “back” speakers to my left/right and not very far behind?
Sounds intended to come from your sides will instead come from in front of you. Sounds intended to come from behind you will instead come from the sides. Would you consider that "good sound"?

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My living room is of a similar size and I played with it since I had a 7.1 receiver and some extra speakers. In the end I decided on a 5.1 setup. If I could have pulled the couch away from the back wall 7.1 would have been nice. However, the WAF prevented me from pulling the couch away from the wall. Her reasoning was that we could have a more "livable" living room for entertaining with the couch against the wall. If you are going to leave your couch against the back wall stick with 5.1.

-Curtiss
post #5 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxdsrtrat View Post
My living room is of a similar size and I played with it since I had a 7.1 receiver and some extra speakers. In the end I decided on a 5.1 setup. If I could have pulled the couch away from the back wall 7.1 would have been nice. However, the WAF prevented me from pulling the couch away from the wall. Her reasoning was that we could have a more "livable" living room for entertaining with the couch against the wall. If you are going to leave your couch against the back wall stick with 5.1.

-Curtiss
Guys,
I am glad that you posted this topic, I have the same question, but my living room/family room(TV location)/dinning room/kitchen is 61'x 20 'x 12'. My viewing sofa is leaning against the wall, so 5.1 is the way to go. All I have is the 90' TV mounted on the wall, I am researching for AV, any advice would be appreciated.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxdsrtrat View Post

-Curtiss
Guys,
I am glad that you posted this topic, I have the same question, but my living room/family room(TV location)/dinning room/kitchen is 61'x 20 'x 12'. My viewing sofa is leaning against the wall, so 5.1 is the way to go. All I have is the 90' TV mounted on the wall, I am researching for AV, any advice would be appreciated.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomofla View Post
Guys,
Something's off with your denotation of feet methinks. 90 ft tv and a 61 ft long living room?

As to the couch against the wall, sonically its not good whether you have 5 or 7 ch, its just not a good place. Except to WAF which has nothing to do with actual needs of audio, like WAF pretty much anything
post #8 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Something's off with your denotation of feet methinks. 90 ft tv and a 61 ft long living room?

As to the couch against the wall, sonically its not good whether you have 5 or 7 ch, its just not a good place. Except to WAF which has nothing to do with actual needs of audio, like WAF pretty much anything
I have an open concept home, vaulted ceiling 10' on 1 side and 12' on the other side. I know I don't have a good area for sound, but anything is better than my Samsung sound bar right now. I cannot hear clearly when a person talking in the movie of my TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-16 22.11.18.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1163962  
post #9 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I have an open concept home, vaulted ceiling 10' on 1 side and 12' on the other side. I know I don't have a good area for sound, but anything is better than my Samsung sound bar right now. I cannot hear clearly when a person talking in the movie of my TV.
How about some floor covering? That wood floor's not helping. So what are the actual dimensions?
post #10 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
How about some floor covering? That wood floor's not helping. So what are the actual dimensions?
The actual dimension is 30ft x 20ft with vaulted ceiling, and the other half is 31ft x 17ft x 8ft height. I placed my TV in the middle of the room.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The actual dimension is 30ft x 20ft with vaulted ceiling, and the other half is 31ft x 17ft x 8ft height. I placed my TV in the middle of the room.
I'm still having trouble picturing your entire room, especially as that tv is not in the middle of the room, it is against a wall. Maybe more pics would help. If that entire huge space is open, the sub sees that entire space whereas you can aim your speakers at your listening position without worrying too much about the entire room (unless you want more even coverage thru the room).
post #12 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I'm still having trouble picturing your entire room, especially as that tv is not in the middle of the room, it is against a wall. Maybe more pics would help. If that entire huge space is open, the sub sees that entire space whereas you can aim your speakers at your listening position without worrying too much about the entire room (unless you want more even coverage thru the room).
I am at work right now. I will take some photo tonight. Thanks.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

I was afraid that would be the answer, oh well, just going to have to buy a bigger house i guess

two more things:

what benefit is having high and wide front speakers?

has anyone had experience with the Atmos speakers that sit on top of the towers and point up? do the work?
post #14 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
just going to have to buy a bigger house i guess
OR move your seating away from the back wall.

Sanjay
post #15 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
OR move your seating away from the back wall.
how far off the back wall would it have to be?

my room is only 13' long. Couch, coffee table, TV stand..... doesn't leave much space
post #16 of 17 Old 01-05-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
how far off the back wall would it have to be?
Placing the listeners' ears at roughly the 1/3rd point of room length (4ft from the back wall) will give you smoother frequency response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips) than having the seating against a room boundary (back wall). That's the main reason to do it. As a bonus, you'll now have meaning side-vs-rear separation in the surround field.
ghanna likes this.

Sanjay
post #17 of 17 Old 01-13-2016, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I figured it out!!!

I knocked down the wall behind the couch, now my room is 23' long
lovinthehd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement