Putting together a Theater Room need advice about equipment - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2016, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Putting together a Theater Room need advice about equipment

I had a house built two years ago and I had them create a blank room that I want to make into a theater room.

This has always been a dream of mine to create a room for movies. The room is 20' X 15' with vaulted ceiling which I am hoping will be big enough for a 180" to 200" screen.
I had them run a conduit from the corner by the dump out to the ceiling where I had them install bracing in between the rafters.

The image that I have attached was the diagram I gave to the electrician so they could run all my speaker wires (12 gauge).

I consider myself a big newbie as I have purchased sound systems before but I just bought what I was told to at high end audio stores. (e.g. I have a family room that has a 55' tv, Marantz MM8003 amp and AV8003 preamp Combo and paradigm speakers) I don't know the specs and I don't follow the new trends.

What I would like advice on is the following:

What type of screen should I buy?
What type of projector?
What type of amp/preamp should I get (I like the system I have now but its staying in the family room)
Should I stay with the paradigm speakers?

I would like to do this for around $25000 Canadian.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheaterRoom2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1227609  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-03-2016, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 59
my room is 13x23. projector epson 5025 1600, speakers: 4 volts, 1 martycube, 3 cinema 8. around 2000. yamaha receiver. 350 refurbished. inuke 6000 350. firestick 25 dollars. 120 DIY acoustic screen 100 dollars. 6 chairs around 2500. Basic home theater complete. about 7000 and u have a bitching basic HT system.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-03-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver_Ron
... The room is 20' X 15' with vaulted ceiling which I am hoping will be big enough for a 180" to 200" screen. ...

What type of screen should I buy?
What type of projector?
What type of amp/preamp should I get (I like the system I have now but its staying in the family room)
Should I stay with the paradigm speakers?

I would like to do this for around $25000 Canadian. ...
IMO, your questions are a bit too generalized, so I'll answer in a generalized way.

- Screen: Grandview, fixed-frame.
- Projector: JVC. Great image quality, relatively quiet.
- Amp/pre-amp: A Marantz or Denon pre/pro or AVR with pre-outputs so that you can add an Emotiva or Outlaw power amp if you wish.
- Speakers: If you like Paradigm, stick with them. (I do and I have. )

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 02-03-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-03-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8528
How tall are your walls, not counting the vaulted ceiling?
You do realize a 200" screen will nearly take up your entire wall?
200" diagonal 16:9 screen is 8'-2" tall and 14'-6" wide.

You would definitely need to go with an acoustically transparent screen in order to hide your front speakers/subs
( since you won't have any space available in front of a screen that size)

Most quality DILA/SXRD projectors would require a 20' throw distance (lens to screen)
to project an image that large, but you will have less than 17' left after you mount a projector and screen in front of your speakers
...which is a much more reasonable mounting distance ... throwing 20' to a 200" screen would require a VERY bright projector.

150" - 160" screen (6'-6" high x 11'-7" wide) would be a good match to a JVC RS500/ RS600 or Sony HW40ES/55ES with about a 16' mounting distance,
You may need a slightly higher 1.3+ gain screen though. That's a long throw and a large surface to light up.

160" screen at 14' viewing distance would give you a 45º viewing angle, well above THX recommendations of 36º
I sit 10' (eyes to screen) from a 120" screen (47º viewing angle) and couldn't take much more, well maybe 125"

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

If you think 160" or 150" screen is too small, just move your seating forward.
BTW....are you planning a single row of seating or adding a second row on a riser?

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 02-03-2016 at 03:25 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
How tall are your walls, not counting the vaulted ceiling?
You do realize a 200" screen will nearly take up your entire wall?
200" diagonal 16:9 screen is 8'-2" tall and 14'-6" wide.

You would definitely need to go with an acoustically transparent screen in order to hide your front speakers/subs
( since you won't have any space available in front of a screen that size)

Most quality DILA/SXRD projectors would require a 20' throw distance (lens to screen)
to project an image that large, but you will have less than 17' left after you mount a projector and screen in front of your speakers
...which is a much more reasonable mounting distance ... throwing 20' to a 200" screen would require a VERY bright projector.

150" - 160" screen (6'-6" high x 11'-7" wide) would be a good match to a JVC RS500/ RS600 or Sony HW40ES/55ES with about a 16' mounting distance,
You may need a slightly higher 1.3+ gain screen though. That's a long throw and a large surface to light up.

160" screen at 14' viewing distance would give you a 45º viewing angle, well above THX recommendations of 36º
I sit 10' (eyes to screen) from a 120" screen (47º viewing angle) and couldn't take much more, well maybe 125"

If you think 160" or 150" screen is too small, just move your seating forward.
BTW....are you planning a single row of seating or adding a second row on a riser?
Thanks for all the comments.

The height of the wall is 9' and then the vaulted ceiling starts.

I'm glad that friend recommended this site as I have been dealing with one shop (high-end shop) and they told me a 200" screen was no problem for my space. I even wired my house with this shop's specifications. So the mount, conduit, extra bracing, Cat6 is all in the ceiling at approximately 16' from the viewing wall. So how were they going to install a 200" screen with that distance to the screen... I guess I will look at another shop as I'm not really a DYI guy for installing the projector and screen.

I was planning a single row of seats as I don't have a riser. After looking at some of the designs on this site I was thinking about building one but I definitely don't have the space especially after reading the comments here.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-08-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver_Ron View Post
Thanks for all the comments.

The height of the wall is 9' and then the vaulted ceiling starts.

I'm glad that friend recommended this site as I have been dealing with one shop (high-end shop) and they told me a 200" screen was no problem for my space. I even wired my house with this shop's specifications. So the mount, conduit, extra bracing, Cat6 is all in the ceiling at approximately 16' from the viewing wall. So how were they going to install a 200" screen with that distance to the screen... I guess I will look at another shop as I'm not really a DYI guy for installing the projector and screen.

I was planning a single row of seats as I don't have a riser. After looking at some of the designs on this site I was thinking about building one but I definitely don't have the space especially after reading the comments here.
There certainly are projectors out there that can throw 200" from a fairly short mounting distance,
but they are typically entry level DLP models (under $1k), The better projectors (SXRD/DILA) will only do 150"-160" from 16'

200" really is Huge, Wall to Wall and almost Floor to Ceiling in your space.
So you really need to consider how you're going to handle the audio requirements (speakers) at the same time as picking a screen type and size.

Technically you "could" make a 200" screen work, but your projector choice will be limited,
you may need in-wall LCR speakers behind an AT screen (unless that's an exterior wall)
...and re-locate your subs.

A BenQ HT2050 can shoot a 200" image from 16'-8"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1benq2050.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1238729  

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 02-08-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Marantz , Paradigm , preamp , projector , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page