Working around an unbalanced basement soffit? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-14-2016, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Working around an unbalanced basement soffit?

Here's the short and sweet... I plan to turn this basement room into a home theater, but it comes with some interesting challenges.

Challenge #1 is the fact that the breaker panel is going to live right behind my screen. I have a couple of ideas to work around this. The easiest would be to install a motorized screen, but I'd prefer not to, as there's almost always a bit of waving even with tensioned screens. I'll likely build a Spandex screen, and use a centered 20" articulating mount. That way I can move the screen 20" away from the wall, and tilt it to the right to duck behind and flip a breaker if need be.

Challenge #2 is the lopsidedness of the room. There's the soffit along the top left, a framed-in pole on the left, and then a ledge on the right. I'm not quite sure how to handle this without some significant reconstruction, which I'd like to avoid.

The room is 14x21, and everything about it is almost perfect for a home theater room. Ya know, except for those few things that aren't.

Here's my mock-up proof-of-concept that I think looks pretty decent, assuming I can get some custom curtains made that fall along those lines perfectly.

Any suggestions? I'm all ears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-14-2016, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The curtains can all be the same length, just make the "top" part solid to conceal the curtain rod and finish it in the same material. Howdo you plan on getting speakers in there? You also have room in the side to make bass traps, if you need them.

Last edited by sndnichols; 02-14-2016 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added a thought
post #3 of 5 Old 02-16-2016, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Full disclosure, I like framing stuff.

I would drop the rest of the ceiling to match the soffit, and build the rest of the knee wall up around the windows OR frame a knee wall on the left side. All for a uniform appearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-21-2016, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdrury View Post
Full disclosure, I like framing stuff.

I would drop the rest of the ceiling to match the soffit, and build the rest of the knee wall up around the windows OR frame a knee wall on the left side. All for a uniform appearance.
Yeah, the ceiling is what bothers me the most. I think I've decided to just put in a drop ceiling all the way across, just with minimal clearance (enough to slide tiles through) on the soffit side. It'll help expedite things, because I won't be repainting or dealing with drywall. I haven't quite figured out how to deal with the 'knee wall' on the right hand side. I don't buy into astrology, but uniformity is extremely important to me, and I also happen to be a Libra, so take that as you may. For the sake of expedition, I may just try to up-light that recess and turn it into a large shadowbox with posters and memorabilia, installing a handrail along it, and offsetting the seating a little to the left.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-22-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Reminds me of Pocoloco's room.

Except the soffit is on the window side of the room.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...o-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page