Help! Mounted TV looks crooked - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #31 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Why not just arrange some knick knacks, of different heights, on the cabinet below the TV, so as to break up the two nearly-parallel straight lines. E.g. LED candles (you can buy a set with diverse sizes, and a remote to control them all).

I would leave the TV level as your eyes may not like seeing the TV image slightly un-level. My personal taste, YMMV.
That's actually really clever! might try that, thanks!
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstott View Post
I notice you don't have a centre speaker or a speaker bar. Either of these could be used to change the visual issue. My personal opinion is that whatever else make sure the TV is and remains level.
Yep! I do have a center speaker and it does fix the visual issue a lot. Thanks for your comment!
post #33 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock1234 View Post
First level your TV and then deal with your cabinet. No matter how much you fudge stuff, having a TV that's off-level will drive you nuts over the long-term.

Let me assume you used a standard wall-mount - a plate that mounts to the wall and two brackets screwed to your TV that hook onto the the wall plate.

The simplest way to make small adjustment is to take a piece if cardboard, fold it twice or thrice and insert it under one of the hooks (between the hook and the wall plate). It will lift that side of the TV by a few mm.

Removing and remounting the cabinet could be a lot of work. Instead I suggest you follow ChromeJob's suggestion to fool your eyes.

Why not just arrange some knick knacks, of different heights, on the cabinet below the TV, so as to break up the two nearly-parallel straight lines. E.g. LED candles (you can buy a set with diverse sizes, and a remote to control them all).
I actually tried that and it really made a difference! One thing I learned from this thread is sometimes it's really all about perception. Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHuff View Post
I would loosen all of the screws on the mount and try to make it look straighter with the screw hole tolerances. You can often gain a few degrees of adjustment by varying how things are screwed to the wall/together.

What kind of wall mount is on the TV? Sometimes the full motion mounts need to be installed a little off to make sure the TV is level. There are too many joints with tolerance.
Here's a picture of my wall mount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wall mount.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	1316049  
post #35 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videologist View Post
A good friend who owns an art gallery taught me an important lesson. Its almost impossible to get everything level (if your eyes are sensitive to it) because houses settle over time, the floors, walls and ceilings do not stay plumb and level, they constantly shift.

He would scurry about with a level every day, making sure all the paintings were perfectly level but customers would companion thatchy were crooked. What finally worked for him was to simply move each painting to where it seemed level, even though he knew they weren't level, then customers stopped complaining because they seemed level.

In his most crooked room, he mounted an inexpensive curtain rod up near the ceiling. He cut down an old curtain so it was only maybe 8 inches tall and installed it. The top of the curtain touch date ceiling enough to be pushed out by the ceiling. He would level all the paintings in that room with a bubble level then he would level the curtain rod (he moved only one end up and down). Since the curtain was already partially covering the ceiling you would not see where the wall to ceiling joint was and therefore the curtain became the line that our brain use as a level reference. That room always looked level and he would only have to move the curtain rod once or twice a year.
Thanks for sharing! an interesting read indeed. One thing I learned from this thread is perception is all that matters in certain situations.
post #36 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post
I'm a dedicated DIYer, doing all of my own plumbing and electrical, just about anything. I'm a fanatic about doing things the right way. Having said that, unless you're willing to deal with a series of potential unfortunate consequences like repairing drywall and repainting, this is definitely a situation to try to fudge it. And I sometimes have some creative solutions for that, which I'll get to in a minute.

First, many wall mounts have final adjustments where you loosen a set screw or something and can tilt the TV a bit. That might be all you need to do. If you are sensitive to level, though, the picture on the TV might look a little off to you after.

Here's where it gets creative. If you want to leave the TV at true level, all you need is fool your eyes as to the space between the bottom edge of the TV and the cabinet. You could do this by attaching something appropriately sized from thin to thick to the bottom edge of the TV -- for example, a strip of wood or cardboard painted shiny black. Is this an elegant solution? No. But if it fools your eyes and you soon forget it's there, so what. I would consider having a friend take a second look. I wouldn't say "do you see a strip on the bottom of the TV?" I would ask instead if they notice anything weird-looking.
I inserted a small piece of cardboard under one of the hooks and it tilted the TV a little, which is great!

And I do like your wood/cardboard idea! really creative, might try that out. Thank you!
post #37 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbananas View Post
Best course of action: Move!

All kidding aside, if the cabinet is not level, you have to break the seal, shim the bottom to level it. As others have said, the best is to use a 3ft long level. A small 6" level won't work in this case.

I mounted my 80" Sharp just like a picture frame. Attached an L bracket to the back of the TV from Home Depot, then screwed in two 3/8" eye lag bolts into the studs separated by about 5ft. Then I hung it using doubled up (400lb. test) clear fishing line (even steel wire stretches, fishing line doesn't) to support the 145lb weight. Then slid the TV left or right on the eyehooks until it was visually level, matching the ceiling line just like with a picture frame. Placing a level on top of the TV proved that it's not level, even though visually it looks level. It's been holding for more than 3 years with the fishing line since it does not stretch and it's flexible enought to adjust if necessary.
Thanks for your comment! I didn't even know there are different length specification for level measurements before posting this thread so embarrasing! haha.

and also 80" TV, that's the dream man!
post #38 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke EF View Post
This is something I cant get to function inside my head. I know exactly what you mean, and I can apply it in some instances (such as building cars), but when it comes to hanging things or really anything around the house I cant do it. Causes a lot of heartache and extra work this way.

As others have said, trying to do something perfect (level) in an imperfect situation (not level) can be a bear. I think the idea of fudging the cabinet AND the TV sounds best. There are probably other clever tricks to hiding the difference in angle, but I don't know any.

Speaking of being sensitive to level, I once helped a buddy hang a rack deal, TV, and a shelf at his house. It was a nice set up actually, everything looked to be floating, and nothing on the floor so easy to keep clean (dog hair and hardwood). We just finished up and his wife came home with some food. As we ate she goes to look at our progress and instantly says "Its not level". We both were like, yes it is we have checked it multiple times. So after some back and forth we get out the level and put it on each thing in turn, and they all match. She then calls into scrutiny the accuracy of the level, to which we scoff. I am sitting there eating again just thinking about this, so I decide to measure. I checked from the bottom of the shelf to the top of the TV on each corner since she mainly said the top shelf was off. Sure enough it was just a little under 1/16" off from side to side. She was able to instantly see less than a 1/16" of difference across around 3'!!! I blame it on the cheap Ikea floating shelf of course since it WAS actually level. I don't think anyone every noticed in the following years they lived there, and we didn't fix it.

Sean
Thanks for your comment Sean! yes trying to do something perfect in an imperfect situation can cause so much frustration. Something I hope I knew beforehand. Haha!
Broke EF likes this.
post #39 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexley View Post
Thanks for sharing! an interesting read indeed. One thing I learned from this thread is perception is all that matters in certain situations.
I agree with you completely. There is audio perception, visual perception and mental perception that permeates all the forums here. The skill is in eliminating the wheat from the chaff to find information that's useful to you. Perception also rules in your own home theater, with regards to picture quality, audio quality and equipment presentation (wife complaining about speakers dominating her decor or tilt wobbly rooms that male our gear look crooked). Good luck! LOL
alexley likes this.
post #40 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 397
So is your TV crooked now or what?
RTROSE likes this.
post #41 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 03:37 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5961 Post(s)
Liked: 5528
send me the address and I'll have my assistant give a love tap to the high side.

ChromeJob and alexley like this.
post #42 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 176
^^^^^funny, I didn't see her when I visited your place. Was she on a day off?

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #43 of 56 Old 03-15-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
[quoteI checked from the bottom of the shelf to the top of the TV on each corner since she mainly said the top shelf was off. Sure enough it was just a little under 1/16" off from side to side. She was able to instantly see less than a 1/16" of difference across around 3'!!! I blame it on the cheap Ikea floating shelf of course since it WAS actually level. I don't think anyone every noticed in the following years they lived there, and we didn't fix it.]
I'm of the "Don't Fix It But Say You Did," variety. I used to play in an 18-piece big band. It would never fail that when we were playing a wedding Grandma would be put at the table in front of the room closest to the band. As soon as we started playing she'd go "You're too loud!" So after a couple of tunes of listening to her complain, the director would wave his hands over the mixing board and make it look like he changed something but make sure that she saw him do it. After the next tune he would ask "Is that better?" And ALWAYS, the answer was "Oh, yes, much better!"

It's all in the perception. And perception is reality....even in Dimension X.[/QUOTE]

I used this on my parents when they would complain to me about my music or TV, I would wait till they came to my room and I would go and pretend to turn the knob. Seemed to work in that situation as well.

Regards,

RTROSE
tlogan6797 likes this.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #44 of 56 Old 03-16-2016, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
So is your TV crooked now or what?
Here's my temporary fix, haha!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tvv.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1317705  
post #45 of 56 Old 03-16-2016, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
send me the address and I'll have my assistant give a love tap to the high side.

How much would you charge for international shippings? haha!
post #46 of 56 Old 03-16-2016, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys! so here's my (temporary) fix to my crooked TV, which I am quite satisfy with personally. Kudos to everyone who shared their advises and stories in this thread, truly appreciate it.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tvv.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1317713  
NickTheGreat likes this.
post #47 of 56 Old 03-16-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Was the camera crooked, too? The whole thing looks crooked to me. You know, like in the Batman TV show from the 60s where EVERY TIME there's a villain in the picture the camera is tilted.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends

Need motivation? Get LOGANED
The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
post #48 of 56 Old 03-16-2016, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It is hard to say for sure from photos, but comparing your "temporary" fix to the first photo you posted, I think you have masked the issue quite successfully. And forget what I said about attaching a shiny black strip to the bottom of the TV, looks like you need silver!

One other thing I thought of looking at the photos is that if it is still bugging you, you could try a shim under one end of the center-channel speaker. An adjustment there might be another distraction to the eyes that helps hide the differing parallel lines.
post #49 of 56 Old 03-16-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Here's my temporary fix, haha!
Looks fine now.
post #50 of 56 Old 03-16-2016, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Hey Big, does there actually NEED for there to be a problem before you send your assistant? If, so, I'm gunna start breaking things right now!
post #51 of 56 Old 03-17-2016, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock1234 View Post
First level your TV and then deal with your cabinet. No matter how much you fudge stuff, having a TV that's off-level will drive you nuts over the long-term.

Let me assume you used a standard wall-mount - a plate that mounts to the wall and two brackets screwed to your TV that hook onto the the wall plate.

The simplest way to make small adjustment is to take a piece if cardboard, fold it twice or thrice and insert it under one of the hooks (between the hook and the wall plate). It will lift that side of the TV by a few mm.

Removing and remounting the cabinet could be a lot of work. Instead I suggest you follow ChromeJob's suggestion to fool your eyes.

I agree, this is what I would do. Removing and re-installing the bracket would be a pain. To do it right would require spackling the previous holes and waiting for them to dry thoroughly. Chances are you only need to move it a fraction of an inch, possibly very close to the repaired holes. If the bracket has slots for mounting holes, be sure to center the screw in the slot allowing some adjustment up/down for either side.
post #52 of 56 Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post
It is hard to say for sure from photos, but comparing your "temporary" fix to the first photo you posted, I think you have masked the issue quite successfully. And forget what I said about attaching a shiny black strip to the bottom of the TV, looks like you need silver!

One other thing I thought of looking at the photos is that if it is still bugging you, you could try a shim under one end of the center-channel speaker. An adjustment there might be another distraction to the eyes that helps hide the differing parallel lines.
Yes the unparalleled line has been bugging me a little bit do you have any idea where I could find a shim? or will a door stopper do the job?
post #53 of 56 Old 03-18-2016, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought the ceiling wasn't level either...

My Current Setpup: JVC x550, Marantz SR7010, Paradigm Monitor 7, Paradigm Centre 1, Polk FxiA4 Surrounds, Polk RtiA1 Rears, Dynamic Audio KVSC-80 In-Ceiling Atmos, Playstation 4, HTPC with Kodi.
post #54 of 56 Old 03-18-2016, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Yes the unparalleled line has been bugging me a little bit do you have any idea where I could find a shim? or will a door stopper do the job?
From the photo, it doesn't look like you need to do anything, But if you think you need to raise one end of the CC speaker a little, a shim is anything you want it to be that works. Like a thin piece of cardboard. Or some felt. Even a piece of paper folded upon itself to make as thick as needed. If you need to elevate the speaker at all, it is probably only a tiny amount, like a millimeter or so.
alexley likes this.
post #55 of 56 Old 03-20-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You know the OCD anal retentive paranoid part of me after all of this "my TV is not level" talk had to break out the four foot level and check my own wall mounted TV. Well son of a gun would you know that it was just slightly off? Now it is all that I see. Had to make some readjustments in the mount to make it perfect. The part of the mount that is on the wall is perfect, the "play" come in the articulating arms that allow it to swing around. Not much I can do about that except push it all the way back against the wall and not move it. FWIW I had looked at it so long being just slightly off level now it doesn't look level even though it is.

THANKS GUYS for NOTHING!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #56 of 56 Old 03-21-2016, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Hey guys! So I was mounting my TV on the wall last night and realized that it looks crooked despite being leveled already. what do you guys think and what should I do?
Another solution is if the tv mount is the hook over type you can get a bit of cardboard and jimmy it under the hook to push it up a few degrees, that way there is no damage done to anything and it will allow you to see if you like the TV being adjusted. This personally would drive me insane and I would alter a few screws in the shelf to fix it and have it all level.. but I have been accused of being OCD in the past (no actual diagnosis but passing comments from friends and family) and anything out of level would make me agitated until I fixed it.
alexley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page