Fav6052's Basement "Theater" & Home Network - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fav6052

post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2016, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Fav6052's Basement "Theater" & Home Network

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post so I'll start with a little introduction. My name is Frank, i'm 27 years old and live in SE Pennyslvania. I've been a long time lurker of this forum and finally can contribute something! My fiance and I bought our first home earlier this year and I finally get to build a pretty basic home theater setup. Sadly, this won't be to the same scale as most of the builds here, but I'm very excited for it and it will suit all of our needs. Unfortunately this won't be a projector setup. I know it would have been a much more immersive experience, but I was looking for a decent all around build with a pretty modest budget.

Goals of the build:
  1. Larger screen than we currently have upstairs in our living room.
  2. Surround sound
  3. Home automation
  4. Hardwired home network
  5. DIY Equipment Rack

TV & Surround Sound:
  1. Television: Sony XBR-65X750D - Picked this up during a recent Labor Day sale for $1199. I had $400 in Best Buy rewards from when we purchased appliances. Was able to get it for under $900 out the door.
  2. Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR626 - Picked this up brand new in the box for $100 from a local guy on Craigslist. This should do the trick for what I need. I know it isn't the newest or best, but it has all of the functions I required and I couldn't beat the price.
  3. Front Speakers: Polk Audio 65RT Vanishing Series - $90 each on Amazon! - I really wanted a clean in-wall setup. I'd love a really nice set of towers or bookshelf speakers, but had to make some sacrifices to function for form.
  4. Center Channel: Polk Audio 255C-RT - $195 on Amazon - Same reason as the others
  5. Rears: Bose 161s - I went back and forth a long time with these. I was just going to run 65RTs in the rear, but I didn't think the room layout really allowed for them. These are the only speakers my fiance didn't mind having mounted on the wall. I'll probably replace them some day.
  6. Subwoofer: Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 - Picked this up on Craigslist for $100. It looks really lightly used. I love how small it is, but now after reading some reviews I kind of regret buying it. We'll see how it does before I consider replacing it.
  7. CATV - Verizon Fios
  8. PS4
  9. Amazon FireTV

Eventually I will do a 7.1 setup. It's pretty easy for me to run wires in my basement. Just going to hold off for now on the other two speakers.

Networking Gear
  1. Switch: 24 Port Netgear Switch
  2. Patch Panel: Some no name one from Amazon
  3. Cable: Cat6 throughout house terminated at Keystone plates
  4. Wifi Access Points - Eero Wireless Access points on each floor - Got these for a great deal from a co-worker who bought too many

I plan to run two cat6 cables pretty much to any location in the house that has a RG6 jack already. Then just a few additional ones to my office and other locations in the house.

DIY Equipment Rack - I have a great utility room in my basement. It's about 10x12 and the only thing in there is a water softener, and bunch of junk that I need to build shelves for and my larger power tools that I don't have a home for in my one car garage. I considered buying a rack, but found some neat 20U rails on Amazon for $28. I have a pretty solid background in woodworking (father has been a carpenter for 40 years), so I really like the idea of building a rack that does exactly what I want. All of this will go in this utility room. I'll go more in depth as I begin to build this and talk more about what I used to create it. I have a vision in my head, but I haven't put it to paper yet.

Automation - I have an iPad Air laying around that never gets used. It was one of those things where I thought I'd use it a ton, but in reality it just sits in my desk drawer 362 days of the year. This seemed to be a great candidate as my remote. So I'll be using a Logitech Harmony Hub to control everything with the iPad. Also plan to use Insteon wall switches so that I can set lighting scenes with the Harmony. The electrician who wired the basement also did a weird job and put all of the switches to each zone completely out of the way. This will allow me to control everything with the iPad or an Insteon keypad at the top of the stairs.

Here is a shot of the TV mounted and the front Polk Audio speakers roughly mounted in place:

Here is one of most of the space I am working with in the basement:

Last edited by fav6052; 09-15-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-15-2016, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yesterday (8/18/2016) I worked on the rack. This isn't the finished project yet. I will be closing the top, bottom, and sides with some cabinet grade plywood. The front will receive a door with a tinted acrylic window. I also left space at the bottom to add in a AC Infinity Triple Fan to pull cool air in directly below my receiver that is mounted on a vented 2U shelf. I might do a single or dual fan at the top to draw heat out. The top front also has room for the AC Infinity Display/Controller.

Here is the fan and controller that I'm talking about.

On to the rack. I took inspiration from this blog article, but I am modifying it to suit my needs: http://tombuildsstuff.blogspot.com/2...ver-plans.html

Started by building out the front and rear frames with 2x4s. I used a Kreg jig to assemble everything. Worked really well!

Kreg Jig kind of in action

Front frame completed

A bunch of boards to connect the front and rear frames to each other

The completed rack "skeleton"

Some of the gear mounted and test fit. Still need a few shelves and some spacers to fill any gaps. I should have about 8U of space left to expand.

That's it for now.

Last edited by fav6052; 09-18-2016 at 01:18 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-15-2016, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Reserved for Automation Setup (Insteon + Harmony)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-15-2016, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Reserved for Network Wiring and Setup
post #5 of 11 Old 09-15-2016, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Reserved for Final Setup Pictures
post #6 of 11 Old 09-16-2016, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Not really any interest, but I'm going to keep posting since this will serve as some nice documentation of what I did as I move along.

Tonight I started setting up the panel where I will have four 2-gang boxes mounted. This is the main location where most of my media rack will plug-in to. I have a diagram that I drew up if anyone is interested.

Box 1: All speaker wires and the RCA for the sub
Box 2: Cat6
Box 3: HDMI and RG6
Box 4: Dedicated 20amp circuit

Photo of the panel with the first two boxes mounted and some wires ran. I over estimated the length of wire so there is a decent amount of extra. I put service loops up in the rafters at each end just in case. The excess will likely be used for short runs where I need them.

Photo of the wall behind the TV and speakers. Tonight I ran the front speaker channels, 3 cat6 (1 will be used when I pull the HDMIs and RCA for the sub. I just haven't received them yet.)
post #7 of 11 Old 09-18-2016, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Started building the rack this weekend. Pretty excited with how it turned out. See the details above!
post #8 of 11 Old 09-26-2016, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Added some more shelves and spacers to the rack to fill the gaps. Still need to add sides, door, fans, and casters. Really happy with how it turned out.

Also used Audessy on the Onkyo. It was a good starting point, but I still tweaked the settings manually per my fianc? and my preferences.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1634_1474943697620.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1686577  
post #9 of 11 Old 09-26-2016, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Don't worry about the lack of response so far. Sometimes it takes a while for these threads to get some traction. Nice work on your build.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-27-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first post. I have been lurking these forums and living vicariously through theatre owners for years. I know I am one many of those who thoroughly appreciate the time home theatre builders take to document their builds but seldom (or never) take the time to say thanks!
post #11 of 11 Old 09-27-2016, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markelbat View Post
Don't worry about the lack of response so far. Sometimes it takes a while for these threads to get some traction. Nice work on your build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hole View Post
My first post. I have been lurking these forums and living vicariously through theatre owners for years. I know I am one many of those who thoroughly appreciate the time home theatre builders take to document their builds but seldom (or never) take the time to say thanks!
Ah I know. It's not an incredibly exciting build compared to most so I figured it wouldn't get a ton of attention. Mostly using this as a place to document the build. If people become interested, great! If not, I won't be offended. Thank you for stopping by and saying hello.

As for an update:
Kind of at a stand still right now. I have a ton of cat6 to run through the house and I'm not really looking forward to that. Sadly, my honey-do list has grown and I have other priorities in the house before I can spend some time working on the setup.
markelbat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page