AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/)
-   -   The ever evolving Mini Theater and 60's basement overhaul. (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2673193-ever-evolving-mini-theater-60s-basement-overhaul.html)

Lynkage 12-08-2016 08:21 PM

The ever evolving Mini Theater and 60's basement overhaul.

5 Attachment(s)
Hello AVSer's!

While I have been a member here for a little while, I have yet to post much.

I thought I would post some about my theater that has been in progress since 2001. It has had many different versions and some of it I don't even have any pictures of.

My wife and I bought our home in 2001 and my intent was to have a basement that was all the way underground (not a garden level) specifically for the Theater and music room. It is a 60's ranch with a full basement. While not the biggest house (2000 sq ft) we really did not want a huge house and we also did not want to do the "Get a bigger house every 5 years" thing either. We were after the no more house payment thing!

It started off as a big living room with some pocket doors at one end separating about a third of it for a home office. This area took up one half of my basement. Being a 60's ranch. it was basically a rectangle track home with the stairs going down just to the right of center and the center being a load bearing wall. The area was 12' 8" wide and 36' long before any construction. It was also a really basic area that had cubby's in a corner for a TV (yep 36" tube TV) speakers and a receiver. It was a start... but that only lasted about 2 years. Then I decided to really get with the theater thing and designed a room that was 12' 6" X 19' 8". I did this with a piece of software (I forget the name of it) but it was a very early room design software that would help with room nodes.

Anyways this was my first attempt at a theater and it turned out pretty good overall. I don't have construction pics but I do have after the fact pictures. It was built with conduit runs to all speaker locations as well as the projector location. The original screen was a 88" diag DaLite gray high contrast with a snap frame. The rear projection big screen was a Pineer Elite 53" (big gloss black unit) and the DVD was a Sony but I forget the model of it. the speakers were Dev Tech BP8's and the CLR 2000 (i think) for a center. It was a big Sony receiver at the heart for power.

That lasted about 3 years and then the high end bug bit. It was time for a projector and screen and some good speakers. In comes the spending spree!

I put in an 88" DaLite high contrast screen, a Sanyo PLV-Z3 projector, a Pioneer BDP-05 BluRay player Rotel 1068 prepro and a Rotel RB 1080 2 channel amp. At this point I was getting into some used gear on eBay so I bought 1 Proceed HPA-2 and a -3. I also added a Musical Fidelity KW 500 for the L R mains and 2 channel listening. The speakers were a full 7.4 B&W signature 800 series in Tigers eye Maple and the subs were my DIY JBL 2242's in 10 cu ft boxes and the rear subs were JBL SUB1500's in 2.5 cu ft sealed boxes. This system really just kicked ass. This was the best movie theater I had been in (I'm not biased!! :D) This system lasted about 5 years until 2014. I decided it was time to have a real theater with an AT screen and horns and the whole nine yards. Sold all of the gear and started again. Time for some pics.

Lynkage 12-08-2016 08:21 PM

10 Attachment(s)
So after all of that and about 5 different seating arrangements (man good seating is hard to find) I started to build what I have now.

At least the room was built well in the first place. It is 2 layers of 1/2 rock and fully insulated so I really did not need to do much to the room.

The AT screen is the Seymour Center Stage UF DIY fabric and it is A DIY frame 12' X 5' 6" tall. Current projector is an Epson 3020. I am waiting to find a good 4K for a reasonable price.

Just bought a Anthem AVM 60 for the pre pro. I am currently using an Oppo 103D and will be upgrading to the UHD player soon.

The speakers are JBL AS 2225's (the center is an SR4733a but I changed out the horn, Compression driver and protection circuit so that it was another AS 2225) so each cab has dual 2226J's and a 2446H's with truextent be diaphragms for L C R. The front subs are 2 JBL 4645c's and 2 W15GTi MKII's in a JBL 4648 8 cu ft cab. The 6 surrounds are JBL 8340a's. 4 Ceiling speakers are JBL CT 321 and the rear subs are JBL W15GTi's in the same JBL 4648 8 cu ft cabs ( The W15's are really easy to come by on CL when some kid needs some money :D).

Amplification and speaker processing is done by 2 Crown DCi 8|600N's and a 2|1250N. (That's 18 channels of :eek:)

The entire cavity where the screen is,as well as the baffle wall, is insulated with sound deadening board covered with Quiet R HVAC duct insulation (Man is it dead back there, no ringing what so ever! :) )

So here are a few more pictures for your viewing pleasure.

More to come, stay tuned! :)

Spyderturbo007 12-09-2016 06:03 AM

It looks much better with the AT screen and everything hidden. I also really like the red.

TheCableMan 12-09-2016 08:25 AM

I love it! That looks like a nice room to hang out in. Do you have any pics or the rear of the room?

Lynkage 12-11-2016 08:08 AM

Thanks for the comments guys!

TheCableMan,

I will get some pictures of the rear and post them.

I will also post as I go along the 2 channel room directly behind it. We just started a full remodel of the basement. The theater was already there but the rest of it was old and you know kind of dark and basically unfinished. I started by removing the heater and installing it in the attic so I could have full height ceilings (no more duct work) and ditched the hot water tank heater for a Rinnai tankless. That enabled me to get a relatively nice size bathroom and laundry area in this otherwise small basement!

More to come! :)

Lynkage 01-30-2017 09:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
New pictures!

Added the RS 500 and a picture of the temp equipment rack!

Also a picture of the possible mounting spot of the RS 500 for thru wall (back side of the theater). Also the new velvet curtains up by the screen!

ChiroVette 02-08-2017 05:31 AM

Really nice setup, Lynkage! As a gigging musician who has always owned my own PA gear. I recognized the SR Series cabinets the second I saw them. Way back in the Nineties I had a band and we pretty much used JBL SR cabs and subs, powered by Crown amps, exclusively. Crown and JBL is my favorite sound reinforcement combination, hands down! I also really like the fact that you opted to go passive over active. But that is personal taste since active enclosures have come a very long way since the Nineties, and even a great many sound engineers have started to prefer active. However, for those old Nineties JBL speakers, there is no comparison between passive and active, if you are going to be using sound reinforcement from that era.

The only niggle I have is that I have never been a fan of 15" drivers for the woofers when pairing with 18" Subs. Whenever I built a PA system it was always a struggle to decide where my lows and mids were coming from, and to be honest, I think that there is way too much overlap between 15" woofers and 18" subs, and it can leave the coverage between the high midrange and low tweeter a little sparse.

My rule of thumb is if I am not going to use subs at all, then I have to get the tops with a 15" driver, since otherwise the really low bass registers won't be covered well at all. But if I am going to use subs, the 12" woofers sound a lot better for the upper mids and there is little or no overlap between woofers and subs. In my band back in the nineties, we used the SR4732 speakers instead of the SR4733a. At some point, you may want to see what your system sounds like with 12" woofer drivers instead of the 15".

I know plenty of bands who have tops with 15" woofers and they are all right if the band doesn't always use subs. Meaning that if they are playing small clubs and decide not to use subs that night, then the 15" drivers sound better. So my rule of thumb with sound is that if I am going to either never use subs or only "sometimes" use subs, then I will settle for the 15" drivers, even though I am not happy with how 15" speakers do upper midrange. Its a compromise however you look at it, I guess. But in a configuration like yours, where you have built in subs and there is no issue of whether or not you will be using subs for a particular night, I think you would like the sound of the 12" drivers much better when paired with your subs.

By the way, you or your guests may not even notice the difference or care. But since you have obviously put a HUGE effort into your theater, I think its worth considering 12" drivers for better upper midrange coverage.

Of course, since you seem to be always evolving your theater, if you ever decide to do so again, and you want a front end with even better sound and an even smaller foorptint, at some point, you may even want to consider upgrading to JBL's VRX line. With the more modern tech, you don't have to worry so much about going all passive anymore, since JBL has really pioneered the concept of building amps and speakers in active boxes to be engineered specifically for one another. Back when those SR's were in their heyday, active cabinets consisted of companies basically mounting their speaker(s) in a box, tossing in any old powerful amp, wiring them together, and that was that. So passive was the ONLY way to go back then. Active sucked, particularly for bias and crossover points and the active speakers just never sounded anywhere near as good as a properly configured passive system.

Now, the better companies like JBL are actually engineering and biasing their amps and speakers to work perfectly together and are doing incredible work with crossover frequencies. JBL uses high quality Crown amps in their active cabs now, and the sound is phenomenal. But if you still wanted to stay old school, VRX has passive boxes, too.

darthray 03-05-2017 06:22 PM

Lynkage

Very well done and nice equipment to boot:eek:
I also see that you did your own subs:D

Did you ever post your pictures on this thread;
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...-you-have.html
If not do-it! Lot's of people would appreciate-it.
I go there often, but do not remember seeing your room, and it deserve to be seen:D

Ray

Kraqa 01-11-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynkage (Post 48822697)
So after all of that and about 5 different seating arrangements (man good seating is hard to find) I started to build what I have now.

At least the room was built well in the first place. It is 2 layers of 1/2 rock and fully insulated so I really did not need to do much to the room.

The AT screen is the Seymour Center Stage UF DIY fabric and it is A DIY frame 12' X 5' 6" tall. Current projector is an Epson 3020. I am waiting to find a good 4K for a reasonable price.

Just bought a Anthem AVM 60 for the pre pro. I am currently using an Oppo 103D and will be upgrading to the UHD player soon.

The speakers are JBL AS 2225's (the center is an SR4733a but I changed out the horn, Compression driver and protection circuit so that it was another AS 2225) so each cab has dual 2226J's and a 2446H's with truextent be diaphragms for L C R. The front subs are 2 JBL 4645c's and 2 W15GTi MKII's in a JBL 4648 8 cu ft cab. The 6 surrounds are JBL 8340a's. 4 Ceiling speakers are JBL CT 321 and the rear subs are JBL W15GTi's in the same JBL 4648 8 cu ft cabs ( The W15's are really easy to come by on CL when some kid needs some money :D).

Amplification and speaker processing is done by 2 Crown DCi 8|600N's and a 2|1250N. (That's 18 channels of :eek:)

The entire cavity where the screen is,as well as the baffle wall, is insulated with sound deadening board covered with Quiet R HVAC duct insulation (Man is it dead back there, no ringing what so ever! :) )

So here are a few more pictures for your viewing pleasure.

More to come, stay tuned! :)

good gawd that looks awesome. i bet it sounds amazing!!

you need some wall treatments.

Lynkage 01-11-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraqa (Post 55480256)
good gawd that looks awesome. i bet it sounds amazing!!

you need some wall treatments.

You are correct it DOES need some wall treatments... But...

The new garage in Moab with the theater above it is now getting all of the attention! :grin:

I will hopefully be starting in March! :cool:

Ladeback 01-25-2018 10:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Subscribed. I see from your Avatar you have another expensive hobby. I love Moab and have have been to the Easter Jeep Safari in 2000 and 2001. I would love to go again, but sold my 92 XJ back in 2007, because the wife didn't like me putting money into it. Maybe some day I could get out there again to wheel.

Here is what I had.

Lynkage 02-16-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladeback (Post 55567374)
Subscribed. I see from your Avatar you have another expensive hobby. I love Moab and have have been to the Easter Jeep Safari in 2000 and 2001. I would love to go again, but sold my 92 XJ back in 2007, because the wife didn't like me putting money into it. Maybe some day I could get out there again to wheel.

Here is what I had.

Sweet 2door XJ!!

Yes the other hobby costs quite a bit more then the A/V hobby and I am heavy into the A/V!

We have 1 XP 1000, 2 XP Turbos and 1 XP4 Turbo. They are very expensive indeed! We do however have a blast. They are all street legal so getting to the trail is very easy. The Turbos all have 32's on them and the XP 1000 has 30's. They all have aftermarket suspension, springs, re-valves and the Turbos all have Fox IBP's. Wanting to do a long travel on the 4 seater but that is another 10K! Maybe next year! :devil:

I would say that if you ever want to come back to Moab you can come ride some RZR's with me! :grin:

Give me a shout if you do think about it. The RZR's are 4-wheelin machines!! :smile:

Ladeback 02-17-2018 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynkage (Post 55707140)
Sweet 2door XJ!!

Yes the other hobby costs quite a bit more then the A/V hobby and I am heavy into the A/V!

We have 1 XP 1000, 2 XP Turbos and 1 XP4 Turbo. They are very expensive indeed! We do however have a blast. They are all street legal so getting to the trail is very easy. The Turbos all have 32's on them and the XP 1000 has 30's. They all have aftermarket suspension, springs, re-valves and the Turbos all have Fox IBP's. Wanting to do a long travel on the 4 seater but that is another 10K! Maybe next year! :devil:

I would say that if you ever want to come back to Moab you can come ride some RZR's with me! :grin:

Give me a shout if you do think about it. The RZR's are 4-wheelin machines!! :smile:

Thank you for the offer and I may have to take you up on that some day, since my wife doesn't want me buying another Jeep to go 4 wheeling. I miss going to Moab, that place is so cool. My wife would like the scenery and my kid the 4 wheeling maybe.

Lynkage 02-17-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladeback (Post 55708602)
Thank you for the offer and I may have to take you up on that some day, since my wife doesn't want me buying another Jeep to go 4 wheeling. I miss going to Moab, that place is so cool. My wife would like the scenery and my kid the 4 wheeling maybe.

Well if it does come to fruition, let me know. Plenty of trails to get the views as well as hiking and of course Arches and Canyonlands. Lots of other great things in southern Utah as well! :wink:

If it is about a year from now, the theater in Moab should be done as well! :grin: