New House, Basement 2.0 Bigger and Better....looking for advice. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 12-30-2016, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 46
New House, Basement 2.0 Bigger and Better....Construction has begun!

**This Thread has been updated with current information as of 12/25/19**

We finished the basement in our old house about 2yrs ago and have now moved into a bigger house with a bigger basement so naturally I'm going to take what I've learned from the first one and hopefully make this second one bigger and better.

Overall size of the space is loosely measured as 48'W X 30' D. 9' Ceilings. Soffits/low points will hit 8'.

Theater area is 17'W X 19'6" D

Seating will be backed against a 18+' wide bar top knee wall Bar stools behind the seating.

Distance to image from the Bar wall is 16' So eyeballs are probably ~14.5' from the screen.

Throw distance from the back beam is ~18' probably keep the PJ near that....

Space is used for 75% MOVIES and 25% Sports/TV.

Here is the final image of the layout I have planned currently....

Basement Layout by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

EQUIPMENT SELECTIONS

*updated 12/26/19.

7.2.4 Setup.

Screen - Silver Ticket 135" Fixed (150" was taped for reference) Decided 135" is best.
PJ - JVC RS2000
Receiver - Marantz 6011 + Marantz 2 channel AMP MM7025
Fronts - Klipsch RF7 II
Center - Klipsch RC-64II
Side Surround - Klipsch RP-240S
Rear Surround - Klipsch RP-2650-C II
Heights - Klipsch RP-2650-C II
Subs - SVS PB13 Ultra X 2
Ultra HD Blue Ray Player - Panasonic DMP-UB900

GIK Acoustical Panels
Palliser Theater Seating

Updated Finished Space pics as of 12/26/19. See below for additional build pictures and progress.

IMG_0884 by Chad , on Flickr

IMG_0881 by Chad , on Flickr

IMG_0880 by Chad , on Flickr

IMG_0883 by Chad , on Flickr

IMG_0885 by Chad , on Flickr

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basement Theater/Rec Build 2.0 - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...ng-advice.html

Last edited by ChadS13TDI; 12-26-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 12-30-2016, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

IMG_2037 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_2038 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_2039 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_2040 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_2042 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

Here is a link to the first basement build that I had done....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...ater-pics.html

This ended up as follows.

OLD Theater Setup:
120" fixed screen
Epson 5025UB Projector
Klipsch Synergy F-30 fronts
Klipsch Synergy C-20 center
Klipsch Synergy S-10 Rears
Klipsch SW-450 Subwoofer X3
Receiver - Marantz SR5010

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basement Theater/Rec Build 2.0 - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...ng-advice.html

Last edited by ChadS13TDI; 12-26-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #3 of 49 Old 01-09-2017, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm jealous of your space!

If I had that space, and was planning a screen size that big, I'd be keeping my eye on these: https://www.avsforum.com/jvc-projectors-at-ces-2017/

Also, with the ceiling nice and open, I'd go ahead and add in speakers (or at least run speaker wire) to everywhere I thought I may ever want a speaker (e.g., atmos speakers, stereo speakers outside the theater area, etc). Wire is cheap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 01-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 63
how far are the seats sitting from the screen?

Pioneer VSX-1121-K ~ Sony UBP-X800 4K ~ Emptek E55ti ~ E56ci ~ E55wi ~ R5bi ~ 2x Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series ~ Vizio xled 70" class 4k
post #5 of 49 Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I hear good things about the Silver Ticket Screens, great performance and good prices.
The Marantz 7010 is on sale for 1300 or so via amazon vs. the current year model at 2100.
Subs, I'd look at SVS as you have stated as well as offerings from Rythmik and JTR both solid performers. Why are you thinking of replacing the Klipsch's? Looking at your old space compared to the new space you might be thinking they might not be up to the task of filling the new space? I'd hold on that until you see how they perform. I'd upgrade the subs first then think about speakers.

Love the blank canvas you have. Very nice.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #6 of 49 Old 01-09-2017, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier240 View Post
I'm jealous of your space!

If I had that space, and was planning a screen size that big, I'd be keeping my eye on these: https://www.avsforum.com/jvc-projectors-at-ces-2017/

Also, with the ceiling nice and open, I'd go ahead and add in speakers (or at least run speaker wire) to everywhere I thought I may ever want a speaker (e.g., atmos speakers, stereo speakers outside the theater area, etc). Wire is cheap.

I know JVC makes some great projectors but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on what makes it better than the Epson 5040 UB that can be picked up for ~$1000 less?

As for speakers. Yes I plan to do my research and put speakers everywhere I need in the theater area. I think the theater area will have sufficient output that I won't need additional speakers in the surrounding area but will be something to consider.

post #7 of 49 Old 01-09-2017, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
how far are the seats sitting from the screen?
The Front edge of the seat is sitting at about 16' 3" from the screen wall.

directly behind the seats will be a 10' bar wall and bar stools behind it.

post #8 of 49 Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
I hear good things about the Silver Ticket Screens, great performance and good prices.
The Marantz 7010 is on sale for 1300 or so via amazon vs. the current year model at 2100.
Subs, I'd look at SVS as you have stated as well as offerings from Rythmik and JTR both solid performers. Why are you thinking of replacing the Klipsch's? Looking at your old space compared to the new space you might be thinking they might not be up to the task of filling the new space? I'd hold on that until you see how they perform. I'd upgrade the subs first then think about speakers.

Love the blank canvas you have. Very nice.

Regards,

RTROSE
I was more than happy with my Silver ticket screen at the old house. You can't beat the price/value you get. I would love a SI zero edge screen but pretty sure they come fully assembled and it would limit my options, plus I would rather put that money elsewhere for now.

Yes the Klipsch would have come with from the old house but the people that bought the house insisted on keeping all the theater stuff (no surprise) so they increased their purchase price to account for all the equipment. only thing I took with me was the Palliser seating and the bar stools. I knew I wanted to go bigger and better at this house so was fine with me that they wanted the original equipment..

post #9 of 49 Old 01-10-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 185
If you watch 60% movies, why not go with a scope screen? Scope movies will be small on a 150" screen.

Seating should be way closer than 16'. I sit 11' from a 135" screen, and I can't image sitting further back.

Also, you have room to go with an AT screen, and put the speakers behind - have you given that a thought?

By the way, the Epson 5040 is fantastic! If you go with that PJ, you will not be disappointed. And you'll want to sit closer...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
post #10 of 49 Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtwi View Post
If you watch 60% movies, why not go with a scope screen? Scope movies will be small on a 150" screen.

Seating should be way closer than 16'. I sit 11' from a 135" screen, and I can't image sitting further back.

Also, you have room to go with an AT screen, and put the speakers behind - have you given that a thought?

By the way, the Epson 5040 is fantastic! If you go with that PJ, you will not be disappointed. And you'll want to sit closer...

I have given a little thought about a scope screen and need to do some more research on what I can fit I just go with what I'm used to there and it's the regular ratio screen. It didn't bother me when we had the 120" 16:9.

An AT screen may be necessary to fit a 150" 16:9 but I like having tower speakers and seeing the equipment. so putting everything behind a screen and making the room feel a little smaller is not high on my list of priorities but this is why I'm here. To think about all the options and come up with as good of a setup as I can.

I do need to reconsider the seating. I don't really want two rows of seating and it just seemed natural to have it that far back but it does feel like waste of space. I will need to figure out a way to move stuff forward. the old theater had the front edge of the seating at about 11' and the back bar wall was at 14'4" so as the setup sits now it's about ~5' further back. I felt like the distance in the old theater was very comfortable and we probably could have been a little closer but not much...so maybe I move things up 3-4'

Glad to hear you are loving the Epson 5040! It seems like a great PJ.

post #11 of 49 Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Per some suggestions here I played with the seating and layout a little more last night.

I moved the seating up closer and now the front of the seat is about 13'6" I have eyeballs pretty much centered between the two beams in the ceiling. I'm thinking this is ideal when it will come to speaker placement. I can get 4 ceiling speakers between the beams, get the two side surrounds middle of the beams and rear surrounds on the inside of the back ibeam.

I am now thinking of doing a massive bar between the two poles behind the main listening position. I want to eventually add 2 more seats and go 6 wide on the power recliners and It seems to make the most sense to increase the bar wall to cover those seats too. Bar area will easily seat up to 8. I'm meeting with my basement guy tomorrow to see what he thinks. Not sure if it's going to be too big or not. You will still be able to walk around both sides of the bar area to enter the "theater" area and the other entertainment spaces.

IMG_0009 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0007 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0008 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

post #12 of 49 Old 01-14-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 177
In your pictures the screen outline looks too small. I just advise to play around with actual image sizes. I had in mind what screen size I wanted but didn't decide until I had the PJ and could actually see what worked for me. I sit 10' from a 114" diagonal 16:9 screen. Now that I'm used to it, I would or could go bigger to say maybe in the 120" to 125" and not think twice. I did not go AT either due to space considerations as my theater is 20' and I did not want to give up floor space due to needing two rows and having my entrance at the back. If I could have gone AT or if my theater had been 22' I would have in a heartbeat now, but when I first considered it I wanted to see all of my equipment, now that is not as important to me as getting the best experience.

I know that some have suggested scope, and that's great if you want to do that. I watch a lot of TV content in my theater as well as movies and the black bars never bothered me so I really did not consider it nor do I think having seen scope setups think I'm missing anything. I know others would beg to differ but that is my opinion.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #13 of 49 Old 01-16-2017, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
In your pictures the screen outline looks too small. I just advise to play around with actual image sizes. I had in mind what screen size I wanted but didn't decide until I had the PJ and could actually see what worked for me. I sit 10' from a 114" diagonal 16:9 screen. Now that I'm used to it, I would or could go bigger to say maybe in the 120" to 125" and not think twice. I did not go AT either due to space considerations as my theater is 20' and I did not want to give up floor space due to needing two rows and having my entrance at the back. If I could have gone AT or if my theater had been 22' I would have in a heartbeat now, but when I first considered it I wanted to see all of my equipment, now that is not as important to me as getting the best experience.

I know that some have suggested scope, and that's great if you want to do that. I watch a lot of TV content in my theater as well as movies and the black bars never bothered me so I really did not consider it nor do I think having seen scope setups think I'm missing anything. I know others would beg to differ but that is my opinion.

Regards,

RTROSE
I don't think it is possible for me to go bigger than 150" in this space. Just not enough ceiling height. It's possible I have my measurements wrong but I will have to double check the tape outline. Pretty sure it's correct though.

I will most likely stick with 16:9 just not ready to switch to a scope screen. maybe someday down the line when I get bored with this setup.

post #14 of 49 Old 01-17-2017, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Getting the design pretty nailed down at this point. Hopefully this is somewhat legible....

Basement Layout by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

post #15 of 49 Old 04-12-2017, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

IMG_0267 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

Here is a panoramic shot of most of the space.

post #16 of 49 Old 04-12-2017, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Future Dart Board area

IMG_0276 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

Bathroom and Low Voltage closet

IMG_0270 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

Looking Back at the Entrance

IMG_0268 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0265 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0262 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0261 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

post #17 of 49 Old 04-20-2017, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Some progress pictures....tomorrow they will finish the few missing areas on insulation and then we are ready for drywall. should start tomorrow.

IMG_0358 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0360 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0362 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0353 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

post #18 of 49 Old 04-21-2017, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I really like the layout, cant wait to see what it looks like when its complete.
post #19 of 49 Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Kind of a boring update but drywall is up, taped, mud, and texture. getting closer. next week is some flooring, trim, and hopefully the bar top

Hard to get decent pictures with limited lighting.

IMG_0383 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0382 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0378 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

post #20 of 49 Old 05-10-2017, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Progress update. We had some trouble with the bar top we originally contracted with so playing catch up on a few things but if all goes well we should be done a week from Friday.

IMG_0459 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0457 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0460 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

post #21 of 49 Old 05-10-2017, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

IMG_0465 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0464 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

post #22 of 49 Old 05-18-2017, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

We are almost to the finish line! Touch ups and clean up tomorrow and then I can start setting up the goods

IMG_0504 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0506 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0505 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_0478 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

post #23 of 49 Old 05-29-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Awesome room. Would love to know what the bar top is made of if you don't mind. I am looking to put a large bar in and am unsure of what type of top to use.
post #24 of 49 Old 05-30-2017, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclifford View Post
Awesome room. Would love to know what the bar top is made of if you don't mind. I am looking to put a large bar in and am unsure of what type of top to use.

I forget what the underside is but I think it was 3/4" Cherry Plywood. Then it was skinned with planks of Knotty Alder and stained with a Kona finish and a bartop laquer It turned out very good and we're very happy with it.

post #25 of 49 Old 06-01-2017, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Everything is finally wired up. Still adjusting things and cleaning up cables, etc. Sounds great so far and I know it will only get better. I want to add some acoustical treatments. We have some additional palliser seating on order that will make it 6 across and fill that wall better. Need another Bar stool and the ice maker to be delivered. ut overall starting to really come together!

We also have the other areas to fill but we will do that over time. Priority was the theater stuff

11.2.4 (I think I have that right) Please correct me if not.

RF7II - Fronts
RC64II - Center
RP-240S - Side Surround
Rear Surround and Height - 2650-C II in ceiling speakers
SVS PB13 ULTRA X 2

DSC02037 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

DSC02043 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

Speaker Covers on or no? Wife says on

DSC02031 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

DSC02025 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

DSC02023 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

post #26 of 49 Old 06-02-2017, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Very nice!

I always left my covers on in the old house. I really like the off look, but I never trusted anybody coming over to the house and not messing them up.

I see 5.2.4. Not sure where the other 6 are.

The count goes as such (I assume you know this though)
LCR+surrounds.subs.Atmos/DTSX(overhead channels)

Last edited by Aberk; 06-02-2017 at 05:52 AM.
post #27 of 49 Old 06-02-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
@ChadS13TDI

I always want to see how it is looks when dream come true!!!!
Now I know 😂😂😂.
🔊🔊🔊Great job looks excellent !!! 🔊🔊🔊

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Apple 4K TV, Mac mini, Sony UBP-X800, PS3
post #28 of 49 Old 06-02-2017, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberk View Post
Very nice!

I always left my covers on in the old house. I really like the off look, but I never trusted anybody coming over to the house and not messing them up.

I see 5.2.4. Not sure where the other 6 are.

The count goes as such (I assume you know this though)
LCR+surrounds.subs.Atmos/DTSX(overhead channels)

Thank you!

Ok so 7.2.4 is what we ended up with. I did wire for 4 subs there are two ports behind the bar top in each corner that I will likely add additional subs at some point too.

post #29 of 49 Old 06-02-2017, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
@ChadS13TDI

I always want to see how it is looks when dream come true!!!!
Now I know 😂😂😂.
🔊🔊🔊Great job looks excellent !!! 🔊🔊🔊

Haha Thank you! This is starting to feel like a dream come true but there is always something bigger and better no matter what.

post #30 of 49 Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
@ChadS13TDI , after seeing this in the Klipsch thread and here in your thread I starting to rethink my theater. I like what you have built. Are your rear surrounds on the wall behind the bar?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page