AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/)
-   -   How many HDMI cables (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2758097-how-many-hdmi-cables.html)

Alaska_av8r 02-20-2017 10:39 AM

How many HDMI cables
 
Unfortunately I was only able to use a fish tape to get one HDMI cable behind a rock fireplace where I have a tv mounted along with a cat 6 and cable. I'm afraid if I try to attempt another ill damage what I have, how many hdmi cables is enough? The run to my media room is about 40' and the only thing I'm gonna have on the Rock fireplace is the tv, all components,network switch, roku, nas, plex, etc, will be in media room, I saw they have hdmi splitters etc,

Can I use a device in media room to send media down a single hdmi cable to the tv

mbarland 02-20-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska_av8r (Post 50908617)
Can I use a device in media room to send media down a single hdmi cable to the tv

Yes. Any HDMI audio video receiver or HDMI switch can do this for you. In fact, it's my preference to switch the signal at the AVR or otherwise before the TV. TV should just be a monitor.

Alaska_av8r 02-20-2017 12:04 PM

Ty very much that keeps my life much simpler

FrankTR 02-21-2017 05:59 PM

Interesting subject. Just starting the process to have a house built and in discussion with the construction supervisor we discussed my request to have HDMI cables in the walls. They stated they never do that but use CAT 6 to the location and use a short HDMI cable to the unit? Is this the norm?

Alaska_av8r 02-17-2019 04:18 PM

Frank I don't know the answer to that but i did find out that using a splitter on my HDMI cable to switch inputs to the TV does not work with direct tv, the splitter does not pass on some part of the signal so the tv doesn't show direct tv. I am sure it is used in some way to prevent people from splitting direct tv signal to two tv's or something along those line.....

GoZags13 02-28-2019 11:48 AM

Couple quick things to consider.

1 - hdmi cables can fail (and also will become obsolete), while CAT6 is going to last and will always have someone making a converter/adaptor.

2 - on a long run like 40', you want to get a high quality HDMI cord. There are some really good articles and tests that'll show you brands that will pass 4K. You probably want to go with a copper/fiber cable.

3 - there are HDMI transmitters that will do 4K. These are coming down in cost and it might be easier/better to do this than buy an expensive HDMI cable.

bofa89 02-28-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankTR (Post 50951409)
Interesting subject. Just starting the process to have a house built and in discussion with the construction supervisor we discussed my request to have HDMI cables in the walls. They stated they never do that but use CAT 6 to the location and use a short HDMI cable to the unit? Is this the norm?

My AV guy used HDMI's. The key really is to have the flexible conduit so you can easily replace wires, then all you need is a metal fish tape to run whatever you want.

FrankTR 02-28-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bofa89 (Post 57675044)
My AV guy used HDMI's. The key really is to have the flexible conduit so you can easily replace wires, then all you need is a metal fish tape to run whatever you want.


Thanks that is what happened except in one wall they did a S turn had to cut a hole in the wall to get the fish tape through

kjfalls 03-01-2019 08:31 AM

It's pretty common to run a "pull" string with the cable making it easier to install additional cables. To replace a bad cable you can either use the pull string or tie the new one to the old pulling out the old as you're pulling in the new.

bofa89 03-01-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankTR (Post 57675190)
Thanks that is what happened except in one wall they did a S turn had to cut a hole in the wall to get the fish tape through

Wow, thats unreal, I would have made the guys that installed the tubing come back and run a pull string once I found out I couldn't.

They forgot to do pull strings on mine even though I requested it but it only took me 2 minutes to do with a tape.

FrankTR 03-01-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bofa89 (Post 57679818)
Wow, thats unreal, I would have made the guys that installed the tubing come back and run a pull string once I found out I couldn't.

They forgot to do pull strings on mine even though I requested it but it only took me 2 minutes to do with a tape.

I had the electric company here when I cut the hole. The tech could not believe the S turn. I saw the S turn but did not think it would be a problem. I patched the hole and it is the wall behind the screen so it got covered in insulation. The tube going from the living room closet to the patio had the string stuck in the tube it could not be reached but the fish worked fine. I wish I had realized there was no string in the tubes before I had the sheet rock installed.

Neurorad 03-01-2019 04:10 PM


A vacuum usually does the trick for pulling a new string (attached to a balled up plastic garbage bag) through conduit, but that would be a cool tool.

bofa89 03-02-2019 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neurorad (Post 57680196)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk65uV_gRlc

A vacuum usually does the trick for pulling a new string (attached to a balled up plastic garbage bag) through conduit, but that would be a cool tool.

Thats always a great idea, I was going to use that, it will always work on an unfinished room but once you have drywall up and the tube is behind a plate, its pretty much impossible to get a hose on it to get suction.

tlogan6797 03-07-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska_av8r (Post 57617960)
Frank I don't know the answer to that but i did find out that using a splitter on my HDMI cable to switch inputs to the TV does not work with direct tv, the splitter does not pass on some part of the signal so the tv doesn't show direct tv. I am sure it is used in some way to prevent people from splitting direct tv signal to two tv's or something along those line.....

Did you use a splitter or an actual HDMI switch? The switches are more robust and should work for you.

tlogan6797 03-07-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bofa89 (Post 57681768)
Thats always a great idea, I was going to use that, it will always work on an unfinished room but once you have drywall up and the tube is behind a plate, its pretty much impossible to get a hose on it to get suction.

Duct tape is your friend here.


The string tied to the bag thing will work as long as the bag doesn't get stuck somewhere in the middle and the string pulls off.

Not that I know anything about that from experience. I'm just sayin'.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.