Starke Sound at LA Audio Show 2017 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Scott Wilkinson

post #1 of 9 Old 06-14-2017, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4912
Starke Sound at LA Audio Show 2017

The only home-theater demo at the LA Audio Show featured speakers and amps from Starke Sound in a huge Dolby Atmos configuration.

https://www.avsforum.com/starke-sound...dio-show-2017/
chriscmore and Blitzdog like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Nice Scott. Looks like a great demo!

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #3 of 9 Old 06-15-2017, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure that was the only home-theater demo at the LA Audio Show.

Sony had a nice Dobly Atmos home-theater demo, although not quite so elaborate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-07-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Actually, this was one of the most mediocre home theater demonstrations that I have ever heard at an audio show. The JVC DLA-RS4500 laser projector looked like it was putting out a decent 20-25+ fl on the 184" diagonal screen with a crisp image and great contrast. However the sound had poor dynamics, terrible imaging and muted frequency response. The room set up and speaker array with a Trinnov 32 processor and amplifiers looked very impressive and expensive when the lights were up before and after the demo. The speakers looked well made with high quality drivers and finely enamel finish. However, during the clips, I was astounded at how poor the audio was. Once you closed your eyes to ignore the size of the room and extensive scaffolding and speaker array, the sound was more on the par with a consumer system one might buy at Best Buy or Frys.

I'm not the only one that came away with this opinion. I spoke to some other attendees at the show from the LA area and several of the manufacturer reps that were also at the show. To a person, they all thought it was amazing that such an expensive looking setup could sound so poor. I wondered if the vendor had ever heard a sampling of theater demos at other trade shows as a point of reference when setting up their display. If so, they would have known something was wrong when listening to their system. I know the Trinnov wasn't to blame. I have heard it at other shows and in people's systems; it usually sounds phenomenal. Blaming the room can only go so far as other home theater demo's I have heard at shows sounded spectacular in similarly sized rooms. I could hold out the possibility that the room acoustics really were a stinker and the Trinnov's Dirac room correction software wasn't engaged, but this is a real long shot.

I hate to disparage some very high end theater equipment without having an extended chance to audition it properly set up in a client's installation. However the conclusion that I and a few others I talked to reached was this is a very expensive speaker system marketed as a luxury product to well heeled buyers without regard to its sonic abilities in comparison to similarly priced systems. Chances are that a wealthy prospective buyer from Beverly Hills or Newport Beach attending the show probably hasn't gone to other shows for a point of reference and would be quite impressed with the presentation.

I know 'The Show Newport' and the 'LA Audio Show' tend to cater more to the very expensive two channel crowd, while home theater enthusiasts tend to flock more to 'AXPONA' and 'Rocky Mountain Audio Fest'. However, next year I hope to see a home theater demo from a vendor with real reference products at the LA/OC audio show. Unlike CEDIA, AXPONA and other trade exhibitions, they could have the Newport or Los Angeles show all to themselves, and really expand their potential client base. If Jeff had been there this year from JTR, it would have been a perfect demonstration of the price/performance value his products compared to the ultra expensive offerings at the show.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-07-2017, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
Actually, this was one of the most mediocre home theater demonstrations that I have ever heard at an audio show.
I have worked with Starke in the past, calibrating demo rooms for them and in-depth test measurements. Aside from an early crossover issue, which was fixed, I was pleased with them. Although I am only guessing, perhaps the calibrator wasn't very familiar with the Trinnov Altitude? I've probably more expertise than most with that unit, and there are LOTS of ways to adjust how things sound, as all of the tools available are open to to user, and it is possible to have the algorithms improperly adjusted. Of course, given that it was in the LA area, and I know of at least two very competent Trinnov operators, I'm probably wrong about that!

So, I should probably just say that I have some great experience with Starke, and I am surprised their performance was not better.

Edit : So yes, a very competent Trinnov driver most likely did calibrate that system, so I can't explain the mentioned lack-luster demonstration. In my experience, the speakers both measure and perform well. This was in much smaller rooms than the pictured room it looks like, so maybe just too much room size/volume. I am going to leave the above comments though, as it still is possible for the inexperienced to improperly setup a Trinnov Altitude.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners

Last edited by appelz; 08-07-2017 at 04:52 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-08-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 317 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
I have worked with Starke in the past, calibrating demo rooms for them and in-depth test measurements. Aside from an early crossover issue, which was fixed, I was pleased with them. Although I am only guessing, perhaps the calibrator wasn't very familiar with the Trinnov Altitude? I've probably more expertise than most with that unit, and there are LOTS of ways to adjust how things sound, as all of the tools available are open to to user, and it is possible to have the algorithms improperly adjusted. Of course, given that it was in the LA area, and I know of at least two very competent Trinnov operators, I'm probably wrong about that!

So, I should probably just say that I have some great experience with Starke, and I am surprised their performance was not better.

Edit : So yes, a very competent Trinnov driver most likely did calibrate that system, so I can't explain the mentioned lack-luster demonstration. In my experience, the speakers both measure and perform well. This was in much smaller rooms than the pictured room it looks like, so maybe just too much room size/volume. I am going to leave the above comments though, as it still is possible for the inexperienced to improperly setup a Trinnov Altitude.
Curt Hoyt calibrated the room. I answered some pre-show questions he had about the JTR Speakers room I calibrated at AXPONA. The main problem at the LA Audio Show was that the speakers don't have enough power handling and there wasn't enough power available per channel for the listening distances.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #7 of 9 Old 08-08-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Curt Hoyt calibrated the room. I answered some pre-show questions he had about the JTR Speakers room I calibrated at AXPONA. The main problem at the LA Audio Show was that the speakers don't have enough power handling and there wasn't enough power available per channel for the listening distances.
Ah, cool. Curt is definitely one of the LA guys I had in mind. So my second guess was right. Not enough dynamics from the amp/speaker to fill a room that size.

JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
post #8 of 9 Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
Ah, cool. Curt is definitely one of the LA guys I had in mind. So my second guess was right. Not enough dynamics from the amp/speaker to fill a room that size.

Precisely the reason that I think that a company like JTR would have had no problem filling a room that size. For what the Starke Sound speakers cost you could put together a killer JTR system at a more competitive price point. And I'm sure the JTR system would not have been lacking on the "dynamics from the amp/speaker to fill a room that size".

JTR 215RT $3,299

JTR 212HT $1,599

JTR Cap 4000ULF $3,299

post #9 of 9 Old 08-11-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Not to derail this thread any further from Starke, and a continuing advertisement for JTR.....but I can't recall ever seeing test measurements for the JTR, aside from their subs. Any of the above integrators who have calibrated systems with these speakers have near fields, off axis plots, impedance plots etc?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
dolby atmos , Kaleidescape , starke sound , trinnov

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page