Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #1 of 58 Old 06-15-2017, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Lee's Basement Home Theater

I'm getting closer to the finish line and so decided to start a build thread in case I ever host a GTG. Started planning the basement finishing back when we moved in Sep 2014. Attached are the original plans for the whole basement. They have stayed generally the same throughout construction with minor tweaks to the larger hall area to accommodate a small bar area. I wanted to have a much larger theater area but also had a need to have an office and bedroom. I'm a software developer and currently my office is in our dining room. Getting anything done with two small children running around is a challenge.

I'll list out the equipment details up here so you no one has to scroll through construction related material to get to the fun part.

Video Equipment
Projector - Sony VPLHW40ES
Screen - Silver Ticket 120 inch AT

Meida/Gaming
Samsung K8500 UHD player
PS4
Chromecast

Audio Equipment
AVR - Denon x4200w
Sub Amp - iNuke 6000dsp
Atmos Amp - Audiosource 100vs
Speakers - all DIYSG - HTM-10 (LCR) , Volt 6 Angled x4 (surrounds) , Volt 6 atmos x 2 (height)
Subwoofers - 2 Dayton Reference 18's in 2 Stonehenge cabinets from DIYSG

Furniture
L Sectional with power recline from Nebraska Furniture Mart

MISC
Harmony Hub w/ Remote
GE Z Wave Dimmers
Samsung Smartthings Hub

I decided to take this project on myself. I had never done any kind of construction or really much of anything aside from minor home repairs. Construction started in March of 2016. I did hire out all the sheetrock work. My stairs coming down are tight so I didn't even want to bother hauling it down.

Some of the thought process and compromises that happened were mostly around dedicated room vs not and soundproofing. The dedicated room got vetoed by the wife and the soundproofing got axed because of the cost of soundproofing a non dedicated area. The things I did to try and assist a bit are a solid core door at the bottom of the stairs entering the basement. Then insulation between floor joist and all interior/exterior walls.

The main theater area is a 13 x 14 with 8 foot ceilings. The builders kindly ran a cold air trunk through the middle of the room. There was also a plumbing drain line down the middle. This would have made for an odd soffit and I really just wanted this space to be full height.

I'll fast forward the timeline because for a whole year it was frame a little bit then take a month or so break. March of 2017 was the time I decided to set a deadline and get this project done.

You can see the theater room framed in now and the drain line is moved right up against the I beam. The cold air trunk is on the other side of the I beam. Somehow it worked out well and I had an HVAC guy and my plumbing friend check it out for good measure.

Current status is. Sheetrock is done and I have the basement painted. The doors are in. Need to finish trim work and finish the plugs and switches. Carpet is scheduled to be installed on July 11th.
The distraction now is the speakers and subs.

I built a little media rack using the IKEA rast hack. Seems to work pretty well. This is going to be hidden away in my utilities/unfinished area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-10.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	2189025   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160305_213703.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	2189049   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170415_220342 (1).jpg
Views:	415
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	2189105   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170521_145118.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	2189113   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170601_194651.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	2189121  

Name:	20170607_225903.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	2189129  
carp and Ladeback like this.

Last edited by acewatson; 06-15-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I'm jealous you were able to get stonehenges. I keep checking back on the website to see if they get more kits in stock.
post #3 of 58 Old 06-15-2017, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Reach out to Eric. He had these assembled by a cabinet maker already. He isn't selling the flat packs I don't believe.

Yeah I am glad I was able to get them because that recessed area where they will sit was too shallow for even the sealed cabs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 Old 06-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewatson View Post
Reach out to Eric. He had these assembled by a cabinet maker already. He isn't selling the flat packs I don't believe.

Yeah I am glad I was able to get them because that recessed area where they will sit was too shallow for even the sealed cabs.
Mine is pretty shallow too. I was able to get a pair of sealed SVS back there though.

How far away is your iNuke from the subs? What size wire are you planning to run and did you give the amp a dedicated circuit?
post #5 of 58 Old 06-15-2017, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberk View Post
Mine is pretty shallow too. I was able to get a pair of sealed SVS back there though.

How far away is your iNuke from the subs? What size wire are you planning to run and did you give the amp a dedicated circuit?
Believe the speaker wire run was about 20 feet between the sub and inuke. I ran 12 gauge wire. I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for all the audio equipment. Not one for just the inuke. In reading I saw most people were fine without a dedicated one.
post #6 of 58 Old 06-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting. My run is probably closer to 50'. I have a dedicated circuit behind the screen for powered subs and a dedicated circuit for the rack. Perhaps I could get away without running another circuit.

I look forward to watching your progress!
post #7 of 58 Old 06-18-2017, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 629 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked: 3716
subscribed!

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #8 of 58 Old 06-19-2017, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Worked most of the weekend. Finished up all my crossovers. Got all my switches, plugs and can lights in. I haven't setup SmartThings yet to play around with the "smart" switches.

Then finished my subs and LR. The only thing left on the center is to install binding post and mount the crossover.

I'm struggling with LCR positioning. You can see one is upside down to get the compression driver closer to ear position. Thought I could build a stand to raise the center up to be on the same horizontal plane. It sounded really good just being in the room. I don't have my seating in yet though.

I welcome any and all suggestions. I sort of obsess over things like this....

Next on the list is to finish up the surrounds. They have all been primed so just have to sand them down and paint

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
chadsmith013 and Ladeback like this.
post #9 of 58 Old 06-19-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Worked most of the weekend. Finished up all my crossovers. Got all my switches, plugs and can lights in. I haven't setup SmartThings yet to play around with the "smart" switches.

Then finished my subs and LR. The only thing left on the center is to install binding post and mount the crossover.

I'm struggling with LCR positioning. You can see one is upside down to get the compression driver closer to ear position. Thought I could build a stand to raise the center up to be on the same horizontal plane. It sounded really good just being in the room. I don't have my seating in yet though.

I welcome any and all suggestions. I sort of obsess over things like this....

Next on the list is to finish up the surrounds. They have all been primed so just have to sand them down and paint

How high are you L&R from the floor to the top of the speakers? they say the tweeters should be around ear level. Building a stand for the center to match the L&R would be the best. Looks like you have all matching L/C/R that is a good thing. I don't have that, but like what I do have for now.

I am sure others with more experience with AT screen setups will chime in. I like the look of the tweeters on top though.

Looking good so far.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #10 of 58 Old 06-19-2017, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
How high are you L&R from the floor to the top of the speakers? they say the tweeters should be around ear level. Building a stand for the center to match the L&R would be the best. Looks like you have all matching L/C/R that is a good thing. I don't have that, but like what I do have for now.

I am sure others with more experience with AT screen setups will chime in. I like the look of the tweeters on top though.

Looking good so far.
Sitting on that sub they are about 5 feet off the ground. The original plan was to have them all sitting at the bottom of this recessed ledge (not sure if ledge is correct).

Unfortunately I am short about an inch and a half. I measured the opening for the screen thinking it would be plenty of space for everything. I was thinking I'd have two sub cabinets of around 2 feet wide each. These cabs are 30 inches wide.

post #11 of 58 Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lee,

It looks that you are just going to have the one set of seats? You could build a platform for the seats to set in to get them a little higher and that should help I would think. The worse case scenario would be to lower the height of where the subs are sitting to get you height down for you L/C/R. You might be ok leaving the L&R up and just lower the center maybe.

My issue when I build my theater will be that I probably will need to raise my all my speakers up if I go with a AT Screen. Right now I have 120" 16:9 fixed screen with the L&R off to the side with the center channel under the screen.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #12 of 58 Old 06-19-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 385
While it might look a little goofy (but really doesn't matter in the end because it will be behind the screen), it might be worth exploring an option to create a deck/shelf for your two subs and then have all your speakers below them either right side up or upside down.

Given the weight of the subs you'd want to construct it like a deck with 2x4 or 2x6 "joists, and probable held up with 8 or so 4x4s. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on if this is a "decent" idea, ha. Another important variable on if it would work is what would be supporting each of the 4x4s. Like is the bottom of that cavity subflooring? 1 layer? 2 layer? How are its "joists" setup?

Getting the tweeters at ear height is ideal from what they say.

Potentially a combination of a 12" riser and then tilting your mains might be good enough, but I would think you'd want it to be a uniform sound stage whatever you decide.
post #13 of 58 Old 06-19-2017, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
While it might look a little goofy (but really doesn't matter in the end because it will be behind the screen), it might be worth exploring an option to create a deck/shelf for your two subs and then have all your speakers below them either right side up or upside down.

Given the weight of the subs you'd want to construct it like a deck with 2x4 or 2x6 "joists, and probable held up with 8 or so 4x4s. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on if this is a "decent" idea, ha. Another important variable on if it would work is what would be supporting each of the 4x4s. Like is the bottom of that cavity subflooring? 1 layer? 2 layer? How are its "joists" setup?

Getting the tweeters at ear height is ideal from what they say.

Potentially a combination of a 12" riser and then tilting your mains might be good enough, but I would think you'd want it to be a uniform sound stage whatever you decide.
For some reason I am terrified by your suggestion haha.

Not that it is a bad idea. I just can't help but imagine the structure collapsing and subs crushing my LCR and I just sit in a corner crying.

I did dig up some pictures of the support. It isn't pretty but basically I have those metal shelf brackets on each stud and all the framing you can see. My scientific method for testing this was jumping up and down on it.

post #14 of 58 Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How wide is your opening for the speakers? Is there enough room if you push the subs in for the L&R to sit next to the subs on the outside and the center to sit between the subs?

Like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170601_194651.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	2194977  

post #15 of 58 Old 06-19-2017, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How wide is your opening for the speakers? Is there enough room if you push the subs in for the L&R to sit next to the subs on the outside and the center to sit between the subs?

Like this.
That is what I tried to explain above ... probably poorly. I tried to set it up just like you have in your illustration. I am short about an inch and a half.

So one option would be to have the LR off to the side like in your drawing and have the center up above the subs.

post #16 of 58 Old 06-20-2017, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Last night finished the last HTM-10. Then I got the projector mounted and assembled the screen.

Ladeback likes this.
post #17 of 58 Old 06-20-2017, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is what I tried to explain above ... probably poorly. I tried to set it up just like you have in your illustration. I am short about an inch and a half.

So one option would be to have the LR off to the side like in your drawing and have the center up above the subs.

That should work, you just may want to angle the center channel down a little. It may take a little playing around with how much to angle it. Screen and PJ look good.

Did you decouple any of the walls and did you do double dry wall and Green Glue?

post #18 of 58 Old 06-20-2017, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Didn't do any decoupling or doubling up of drywall. Put a solid core door at the bottom and insulation everywhere. I know it's not probably doing much but it is what it is.

I cranked it pretty good last night with the kids asleep. I guess that running vacuum cleaners and never worrying about being quiet while they were sleeping is paying off...

Ladeback likes this.
post #19 of 58 Old 06-20-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Didn't do any decoupling or doubling up of drywall. Put a solid core door at the bottom and insulation everywhere. I know it's not probably doing much but it is what it is.

I cranked it pretty good last night with the kids asleep. I guess that running vacuum cleaners and never worrying about being quiet while they were sleeping is paying off...

My wife and father in law think I am wasting money in wanting to do some type of soundproofing like clips & channel with DD & GG. My FIL talked to one of his friends that was in construction and he said I should just put up 2" foam wrapped in burlap on the ceiling for soundproofing. I said that insulation and drywall will do more then that would and that I will probably still to what I want to do.

I would like to insulation all of the ceiling in the theater and areas around it. Decouple the walls from the ceiling using IB-3 clips, use IB-1 clips and Channel on the ceiling and DD and GG on the walls and ceiling. First though I am going to just test out insulation to see how well it does. About a month ago I cranked up my subs and turned up the volume to see what my wife noticed upstairs. She said she could hear sound, but not real well and that once in a while some things in a cabinet would rattle that above where my subs are. My subs are no where near as to what you have and that is fine with my family. I know once all the walls are finished it should sound better. I am more wanting to keep noise out like hearing my kid play upstairs or my HVAC kick on all the time. Insulating the theater and around the HVAC area should a lot of that.

If insulation is not enough I will see how one layer of drywall will help before spending money on green glue. The other big issue I need to figure out is heating and cooling the theater. I am thinking of going with a mine split system maybe. Not sure yet.

post #20 of 58 Old 06-20-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now that we've seen below the opening, is there any reason why you need to have that shelf?

It might be worth the bit of demolition to pull the shelf out and have your subs on the floor.

You could leave shelf in the middle and drywall it, and minimize the amount of speaker cloth needed to make up between the bottom of the screen and the floor..

Or it could be open all the way across and covered with some AT fabric of some sort.
post #21 of 58 Old 06-20-2017, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Now that we've seen below the opening, is there any reason why you need to have that shelf?

It might be worth the bit of demolition to pull the shelf out and have your subs on the floor.

You could leave shelf in the middle and drywall it, and minimize the amount of speaker cloth needed to make up between the bottom of the screen and the floor..

Or it could be open all the way across and covered with some AT fabric of some sort.
Yeah I'm not even sure why the shelf exists. I'm sure there was a reason. It might have just been aesthetics.

I think your idea is what I'll end up doing. Not sure when I'll get to it. Will get my LCR to ear level and get the subs supported by the floor.

post #22 of 58 Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My wife and father in law think I am wasting money in wanting to do some type of soundproofing like clips & channel with DD & GG. My FIL talked to one of his friends that was in construction and he said I should just put up 2" foam wrapped in burlap on the ceiling for soundproofing. I said that insulation and drywall will do more then that would and that I will probably still to what I want to do.

I would like to insulation all of the ceiling in the theater and areas around it. Decouple the walls from the ceiling using IB-3 clips, use IB-1 clips and Channel on the ceiling and DD and GG on the walls and ceiling. First though I am going to just test out insulation to see how well it does. About a month ago I cranked up my subs and turned up the volume to see what my wife noticed upstairs. She said she could hear sound, but not real well and that once in a while some things in a cabinet would rattle that above where my subs are. My subs are no where near as to what you have and that is fine with my family. I know once all the walls are finished it should sound better. I am more wanting to keep noise out like hearing my kid play upstairs or my HVAC kick on all the time. Insulating the theater and around the HVAC area should a lot of that.

If insulation is not enough I will see how one layer of drywall will help before spending money on green glue. The other big issue I need to figure out is heating and cooling the theater. I am thinking of going with a mine split system maybe. Not sure yet.
If I had the money to go full soundproofing I would have.
Soundproofing a non dedicated space seems almost impossible. I priced it all out and it just wasn't feasible. Also not sure how effective it would have been with so many weak points throughout the whole basement.

Maybe in your testing you will find that insulation and drywall are good enough. Then you can throw more money at speakers and subs

I think I will be able to play it at decent levels when everyone is asleep. If it doesn't work out I'll start saving money and plan out a dedicated space....
Not sure where

post #23 of 58 Old 06-20-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I had the money to go full soundproofing I would have.
Soundproofing a non dedicated space seems almost impossible. I priced it all out and it just wasn't feasible. Also not sure how effective it would have been with so many weak points throughout the whole basement.

Maybe in your testing you will find that insulation and drywall are good enough. Then you can throw more money at speakers and subs

I think I will be able to play it at decent levels when everyone is asleep. If it doesn't work out I'll start saving money and plan out a dedicated space....
Not sure where

I would put the extra money into a new projector and bigger screen and some rear surround speakers. I like my current speakers even though they are over 20 years old. My speakers are all Klipsch so they are not bad at all, I just don't have the separate subs, my 15" sealed subs are built into my L&R towers so I corner load them to get more out of them. They seem to do ok in my open basement so far. I used to have them in a room that was about 16'x12'x8' in a duplex I now rent. It has no soundproofing and the neighbors used to knock on the door when I played the subs all the way up. They said things on their walls were shaking.

post #24 of 58 Old 06-20-2017, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I did not expect such immediate and adamant push back from the wife on this suggestion.

She doesn't like it...

post #25 of 58 Old 06-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Have you thought about ripping it out and putting acoustic panels around your screen and just matching the fabric below the screen? Black or some darker color would help with the contrast of the screen. Either that, or you could somehow shave 1/4" off each side of the LCR or notch the opening to cram them in there.
Ladeback likes this.
post #26 of 58 Old 06-21-2017, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah something like that is what I want to do. Just need to find something the wife likes

post #27 of 58 Old 06-21-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
Have you thought about ripping it out and putting acoustic panels around your screen and just matching the fabric below the screen? Black or some darker color would help with the contrast of the screen. Either that, or you could somehow shave 1/4" off each side of the LCR or notch the opening to cram them in there.
That's I first thought as well, but he says he is about a 1 1/2" short to fitting them in all next to each other. Any way you look at it though if he wants the L&R at hear level some drywall and wood may have to move either on the sides or at the bottom.

post #28 of 58 Old 06-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Yeah something like that is what I want to do. Just need to find something the wife likes

If she's a fan of velvet, just take her to @carp ....
Ladeback likes this.
post #29 of 58 Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Small update. Got all the door trim and baseboards done. Carpet is being installed tomorrow. Then NFM is delivering the furniture on Wednesday.

I still have to finish all my surrounds. Hopefully won't take me too long.

post #30 of 58 Old 07-10-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What did you end up deciding with the speakers? Any pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version