going from 7.1 to 9.1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2017, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
going from 7.1 to 9.1

I have referred to the forum over the years, and finally set up an account. First post, please forgive any mistakes. My question revolves around my new Marantz sr7011 and expanding my 7.1. setup. Along with the Marantz (always been an Onkyo guy. So far I am loving the Marantz, but I am off topic) I have a 7.1 THX Select 2 piano black Crystal Acoustic speaker setup, 2 towers, center, 4 dipoles, and 12 THX sub. My room config, (3 walls and the left side is open) Seated area is approximately 15 feet from screen. I have the surround right and left(is on a bookcase) mounted about a foot down from the ceiling inline with my seated listening spot. My 2 back surrounds are also at the same height 2 feet behind the seated spot.

My buddy just gave me 2 Boston micro 130x 8ohm speakers. I would like to take advantage of what the Marantz has to offer and expand my 7.1 (Dolby Atmos/DTS-X,Auro 3D). I can NOT mount anything to the ceiling. What is the best use/placement for these 2 new speakers? Do I need actual Atmos speakers? The up facing Atmos speakers won't work for me as my towers have the external tweeters on top. Can I use the Bostons in the front high positions and tilt them up? My main use for the this room is tv/movies/gaming.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and for any input. I tried a ton of searches, but hit a grey area on expanding 7.1 by 2 speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-19-2017, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You don't want upfiring "atmos modules" unless as a last resort. They also have a ceiling height requirement that I don't remember. Eventually people should start referring to atmos speakers as 3D surround speakers or something. Poor DTS:X. Anyways, if you want 3D surround (Dolby Atmos, DTS: X, Auro 3D) then you want ceiling speakers. When I say ceiling speakers it means any speaker you want that you can mount to or place inside a ceiling. People will say the 3D speakers don't need to be very good or even timbre matched with front but in my experience I feel they should be if possible.

If you didn't want to do 7.1.2 (two speakers on or in ceiling) 3D surround then you could try 9.1 (expanded 2D surround) which I've read people generally like less. I think the Marantz can do that; I'd double check and see what speaker placements it allows for in the setup menu. Keep in mind that movies don't nativley support 9.1 so all it is will be your Marantz doing an audio matrix.

Also keep in mind you would now be using all the powered channels on your Marantz and increasing the load. I'm not sure how loud you listen to but it's worth noting you might need more power.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-22-2017, 01:11 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3406 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
No gray area here, but since your asking to use your "gifted" speakers and not anything else, you have specific limitations to deal with.

For "reflected" Atmos use, any conventional Enclosed Speaker would have to be positioned so that it shoots directed sound onto the Ceiling, with the angle being such that the reflected sound would be directed to either the Right or Left of the Center of the viewing area...and usually about 1/2 the distance between the Front sound stage and the Viewing / Listening location.

In your case, a 450 Pivoting or Angled Wall mount on the Front Wall, about 12" down from the Ceiling would be about right. It won't be ideal....but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Another solution would be build small wall shelves on each side of the room, each about 4' in front of the Viewing / Sitting position, each having about
a 80 downward pitch, and set the speakers on their back..sideways to the Wall...so as to reflect their output "almost" straight up and then down to the general listening area.

That is about all you'll have to go on....hopefully you have access to the area above the room so that you can run your wiring non-exposed.

BTW, with SR-7011 I don't think the OP will have any degree of power shortage for his application....at all.

Also, although some opinions on here differ, a great many actually prefer DTS-X processing for non-Atmos content.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
7.1 , 9.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page