Atmos ceiling placement (couch near rear wall) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 46 Old 11-23-2018, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
Hi,

Another person in a similar situation here.

Go for it!! The miccas should do just fine, and on either side of the projector will be far enough back!

Once you get the 4 atmos speakers installed, make sure to download the Dolby atmos demos off google and play them back on the tv (e.g even just over a free Plex account from your PC). They’re great for showing off the speakers!
nexus99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 11-25-2018, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Doc View Post
Go for it!! The miccas should do just fine, and on either side of the projector will be far enough back!

Once you get the 4 atmos speakers installed, make sure to download the Dolby atmos demos off google and play them back on the tv (e.g even just over a free Plex account from your PC). They’re great for showing off the speakers!
Got them mounted. Amp is on the way. They are way back... but they are in Dolby spec front and back. This will be my first venture beyond 7 channels.

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Devastator Build Eminence 21" https://youtu.be/DgtVxjg06to
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
post #33 of 46 Old 11-25-2018, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Another small room

First post :-)
i will make this short, i too have a small room but have no access to the ceiling cavity.
Can i use Klipsch R-41SA either mounted on the back wall or use them in the surround placement area for use as Atmos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 Old 12-01-2018, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose13 View Post
First post :-)
i will make this short, i too have a small room but have no access to the ceiling cavity.
Can i use Klipsch R-41SA either mounted on the back wall or use them in the surround placement area for use as Atmos?
yes you can!
i have four ....i use them for rear surround and side surround....Love Them....Good Luck!

I'm Always Thinking!
post #35 of 46 Old 12-12-2018, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is denon a good receiver

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #36 of 46 Old 12-12-2018, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarbolen76 View Post
Is denon a good receiver
Which model?????!? What is your use case? How many channels do you need? Do you need atmos??
post #37 of 46 Old 03-20-2020, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by andringa View Post
Glad it helped, good luck!

Like I said, I'm still working on my rear surround solution. My first concern with doing .4 in ceilings was that the Top Rears and Rear Surrounds would be redundant, but in reality, my biggest issue with it right now, is that the rear surrounds are really easy to localize. There is good separation between the Top Rears and the Rear Surrounds but the Rear Surrounds are so close to the MLP, that I think a wide dispersion speaker would be better.
Hey, I am in exactly the same situation that you were in with regards to my rear atmos on-ceiling. How did it work out in the end? Did you figure out the best placement for the rear and front overheads when your rear's were so close to the wall? Were you happy in the end?
post #38 of 46 Old 06-28-2020, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post
My dealer located my ceiling Atmos speakers as close to the Dolby specs as possible, but as mentioned in my previous post, I am stuck with my surrounds on the back wall. However, they are slanted in toward the MLP, but don’t give undue localization unless called for in a movie.

With my placement limitations, I had a quite a bit of trepidation with adding Atmos, but in the end it is quite convincing not only to my ears, but also to my guests who are also are impressed including my wife who is normally not into these kind of things.

In summary, adding Atmos is a significant upgrade and much more so than I expected with convincing panning of sound from front to back and height effects. Car chases, helicopter flyovers, and ambience throughout the room has vastly improved with the addition of Atmos.

BTW, I use Anthem Room Correction for audio calibration of my system which has proven to be excellent.
Bob, I have a similar problem as you, how high did you mount your surrounds above your head on the back wall? I believe Dolby say 1-2 ft above your head angled to the main listening position.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Naim Uniti Nova, Vintage Marantz Model 22, Oppo UDP-203, Bluesound Node 2i, TEAC A-4070 Tape Deck
Focal Aria 936/CC900, B&W M-1, SVS SB-3000, MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #39 of 46 Old 06-28-2020, 07:41 PM
All That Jazz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Bob, I have a similar problem as you, how high did you mount your surrounds above your head on the back wall? I believe Dolby say 1-2 ft above your head angled to the main listening position.
My surrounds are located about 2 feet above our heads. They work out quite nicely there and provide quite convincing surround effects coupled with the in ceiling Atmos speakers.

A/V SYSTEM: Sony A9G 77” (main), Sony A9F 65”, Sony A8G 65”, Anthem 525, Anthem AVM 60, Sonus Faber Amati Futura, ProAc Response CC, AT surrounds, JL112E, Oppo 203 103 83, TiVo Bolt, Apple 4KTV, Shunyata Triton 3/Denali v2, Auralex room tx, black out curtains
2 CHANNEL STEREO: Aurender N10, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DS DACs, PS Audio DMP SACD transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20 amp, Sonus Faber Stradivari.
post #40 of 46 Old 06-30-2020, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My surrounds are located about 2 feet above our heads. They work out quite nicely there and provide quite convincing surround effects coupled with the in ceiling Atmos speakers.

Thanks, what direction do you have them pointed? I will be able to get mine about 1 ft. above my head without hanging them. Here’s something interesting I ran across.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anthem MRX-720, Naim Uniti Nova, Vintage Marantz Model 22, Oppo UDP-203, Bluesound Node 2i, TEAC A-4070 Tape Deck
Focal Aria 936/CC900, B&W M-1, SVS SB-3000, MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #41 of 46 Old 06-30-2020, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Hi Bob, thanks for you contributions on this thread. How close to the rear wall is your head when seated?
I'm facing similar constraints; I posted about it in another thread before finding this thread.
Bob Fosse likes this.

Kieran C
post #42 of 46 Old 06-30-2020, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobScreene View Post
Specs say 0.75 room width. Ie 12.5% out from walls. I initially went closer and moving in to within spec was an improvement.
Where does one find such precise specs for atmos speaker placement?
Best I can find is this:
https://www.dolby.com/about/support/...r-setup-guide/
Which doesn't have anything as detailed as ".75 room width"

Kieran C
post #43 of 46 Old 07-01-2020, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It's in a document I pulled of the Dolby site dated July 2017 called:

Dolby-Atmos-Home-Theater-Installation-Guidelines.pdf

"Mounting considerations
If the chosen overhead speakers have a wide dispersion pattern (approximately 45 degrees from the acoustical reference axis over the audio band from 100 Hz to 10 kHz or wider), then speakers may be mounted facing directly downward. For speakers with narrower dispersion patterns, those with aimable or angled elements should be angled toward the primary listening position.
The overhead speakers should be at a height (shown as H3 in Figure 2) between two and three times the vertical position of the listener-level speakers. The angle of elevation from the listening position to the left top front/right top front and left top rear/right top rear overhead speakers in a 7.1.4 reference layout should be 45 degrees. This may be adjusted between 30 and 55 degrees if needed, as shown in Figure 2. Figures 3 and 4 show the preferred locations of the four overhead speakers as seen from above. The horizontal width should be about the same as the horizontal separation of left and right speakers placed at ±30 degrees. If this guidance is followed, the overhead side-to-side separation should be 0.5 to 0.7 of the width of the overall layout, depending on the distance to the screen and the front three speakers, relative to the surrounds. It is best to keep the overhead arrangement centered, front to back, over the listening area, even if the front speakers and screen are at a greater distance than the surround speakers."

It is 1.3MB so too large to attach, perhaps Google may help.

regards,
Rob.
post #44 of 46 Old 07-01-2020, 01:16 PM
All That Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Thanks, what direction do you have them pointed? I will be able to get mine about 1 ft. above my head without hanging them. Here’s something interesting I ran across.

Thanks for the link.

I installed my surrounds years ago. They were originally designed as dipole speakers (Triangle shaped) to be put on the null spot of side walls, but after I rearranged my room, I installed them on the back wall with the same phase of each Speaker pointing inwards toward the main listening area. When I had my HT professionally designed, the designer said that they would function great as installed. Despite all new speakers including Dolby Atmos in ceiling speakers, they have remained as originally placed on the back wall.
mbroadus likes this.

A/V SYSTEM: Sony A9G 77” (main), Sony A9F 65”, Sony A8G 65”, Anthem 525, Anthem AVM 60, Sonus Faber Amati Futura, ProAc Response CC, AT surrounds, JL112E, Oppo 203 103 83, TiVo Bolt, Apple 4KTV, Shunyata Triton 3/Denali v2, Auralex room tx, black out curtains
2 CHANNEL STEREO: Aurender N10, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DS DACs, PS Audio DMP SACD transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20 amp, Sonus Faber Stradivari.
post #45 of 46 Old 07-01-2020, 01:30 PM
All That Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
Hi Bob, thanks for you contributions on this thread. How close to the rear wall is your head when seated?
I'm facing similar constraints; I posted about it in another thread before finding this thread.
You’re most welcome and thanks for the link.

I’m not home now, but we’re probably 1 to 2 feet from the back wall (not ideal) depending on how much that we recline our dedicated home theater seats. The back wall has been professionally augmented with room treatment behind our seats in attempts to mitigate having to sit near the back wall.

post #46 of 46 Old 07-02-2020, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

I installed my surrounds years ago. They were originally designed as dipole speakers (Triangle shaped) to be put on the null spot of side walls, but after I rearranged my room, I installed them on the back wall with the same phase of each Speaker pointing inwards toward the main listening area. When I had my HT professionally designed, the designer said that they would function great as installed. Despite all new speakers including Dolby Atmos in ceiling speakers, they have remained as originally placed on the back wall.

Great...thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page