AVS Forum banner

Is Rockwool safe in terms of health

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  soundsgoodrecord 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm building a dedicated home theatre and using Rockwool safe n sound. It will be on the ceiling and all 4 walls. I know many have used Rockwool all these years. I have been googling to find out if it is harmless to health and as usual some say yes and some say no. I would like to find out from the users itself in these forum. My worry is the chemical use in the Rockwool called Formaldehyde. It is known to be cancerous. But according Rockwool company they have cured it to 200 degree Celsius heat before sending it out to end users. And they say it's safe. If it is safe then why did they came out with a new type called AFB evo which is Formaldehyde free?

Beside that my installer have stored all the Rockwool in my unfinished home theatre before they start installing it in a few days. Which has no windows or ventilation whatsoever. So when I walked in to the room my eyes and nose start to hurt. Anybody have experience this before?

#2 · (Edited)
If it is safe then why did they came out with a new type called AFB evo which is Formaldehyde free?
I suspect because whether it is actually safe is irrelevant to sales if there is a perception that its not safe. The reports I have read say they use a urea-based binder during manufacturing process that gets cooked off before sale with no measurable off gassing afterwords. I am using Roxul in my basement build and have it pretty low on my risk-list of things that might kill me. Although, it does itch like a b$tch if you touch it with bare skin.

Edit: Also, if you are worried about formaldehyde, I would avoid directly consuming it by drinking alcoholic beverages.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22728807

#3 ·
That's a relief, thank you

Reactions: bmcn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.