Blister64 Whole Basement Build w/ Entertainment Area (round 2) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #61 of 137 Old 08-08-2018, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by blister64 View Post
Pretty long video here, but tried to give a start to finish guide on making counter tops. This epoxy coating stuff if pretty cool, so many different techniques and color options. We did the whole bar area for about $600, so quite a savings over actual stone or quartz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WvOfXB7dpo&t=843s
Awesome work! I had epoxy applied to my basement floor, its all people notice when they come in my basement, its pretty cool stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 137 Old 08-09-2018, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa89 View Post
Awesome work! I had epoxy applied to my basement floor, its all people notice when they come in my basement, its pretty cool stuff.
Nice! Thanks, it really is cool stuff. Everyone who has seen it in person or in pics have asked what type of stone or marble it is. They are surprised it's epoxy. Can't beat the look for the price

Blister64 Full Basement Build Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 | DIY Sound Group Ported 1299 TMWW Front Stage | DIY SG Volt 10 Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Three Stereo Integrity HS-24 mkIII's sealed | Sinbosen FP20000Q
YouTube Channel for builds and reviews Life Of Bliss YouTube
post #63 of 137 Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Nice! Thanks, it really is cool stuff. Everyone who has seen it in person or in pics have asked what type of stone or marble it is. They are surprised it's epoxy. Can't beat the look for the price
This is what I did, people ask if its a marble floor. Price for me was about the same as putting down a wood floor. The material alone was about $1k from sherwin williams with no mark up from installer. While wood floor material cost would have been higher, an epoxy floor is a lot more labor intensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	507.8 KB
ID:	2439404  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 137 Old 08-09-2018, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa89 View Post
This is what I did, people ask if its a marble floor. Price for me was about the same as putting down a wood floor. The material alone was about $1k from sherwin williams with no mark up from installer. While wood floor material cost would have been higher, an epoxy floor is a lot more labor intensive.
Heck yea, that looks great! Really turned out nice

Blister64 Full Basement Build Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 | DIY Sound Group Ported 1299 TMWW Front Stage | DIY SG Volt 10 Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Three Stereo Integrity HS-24 mkIII's sealed | Sinbosen FP20000Q
post #65 of 137 Old 08-10-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Well sold the Polks locally a few days ago. Got enough to cover 1299s for LCR and either some Volt 8s or 10s for the surrounds, plus a little left over for buying wood. See quoted thread for any discussion. Should have a new video up of completed bar soon.
So couldn't get the center channel replacement. I just lost on the KC Area Movie BUT to @chiptouz that you are doing 1299's as well as he is and had been thinking about it for a while. Have fun with the building of them. What are you using for subs again?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #66 of 137 Old 08-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
So couldn't get the center channel replacement. I just lost on the KC Area Movie BUT to @chiptouz that you are doing 1299's as well as he is and had been thinking about it for a while. Have fun with the building of them. What are you using for subs again?

I am thinking about 2 mini Marty’s or modified Johnny’s with um18-22’s or the 460ho-4’s. Both would do slightly different things so I have to make up my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
post #67 of 137 Old 08-10-2018, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for getting us in touch. I'm sure it will be helpful during the builds.
I've got an Ultimax 15 sealed now. Planning on 1 or 2 hst24s later this year. Was planning sealed, will have to look more into ported for those massive things and see if I have the space

post #68 of 137 Old 08-11-2018, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for getting us in touch. I'm sure it will be helpful during the builds.
I've got an Ultimax 15 sealed now. Planning on 1 or 2 hst24s later this year. Was planning sealed, will have to look more into ported for those massive things and see if I have the space
Your welcome. By the way check out @d_c 's Basement Build. He has two 24" subs in a ported bar for a midfield sub.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...t-theater.html
blister64 likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.

Last edited by Ladeback; 08-11-2018 at 06:49 PM.
post #69 of 137 Old 08-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Cabinets installed and countertops made this week. I'll have the video up soon.

This video is just a quick overview of the Monoprice Amber 8" in-ceiling speaker and some initial impressions. Overall, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with how well the speaker blends with the Polk LSiM setup I have for the front stage and rear surrounds. If I am only listening to stereo sound from the LSiM 707s and switch to only the in ceiling speakers, obviously there is going to be a difference in sound (mainly bass response which is expected). The highs and mid range (focusing on voices) sound crisp with the Amber speakers, much like the Polks, but don't have as much force and presence as the tower speakers do. Again, no surprise here. If they were just to have some ambient music playing, such as a whole home setup with in ceiling speakers, I think these would fit the bill just fine. I have yet to test them against the Alpha series speakers without the ceiling cans in my bar area, but bass seems decent from the 8 inch speakers. Nothing that will blow your socks off, and you quickly remember what real low frequency response is once you turn on the towers or sub, but sufficient for casual listening.

Now for the real reason they are being used, as a 2 speaker atmos setup in my media area... I honestly think they blend very well with my Polks, even though the tweeters are ribbon compared to the dome tweeters in the Polks. When watching a movie, or more noticeably, an Atmost/DTS X enabled concert blu-ray, the speakers blend in to the sound stage. Everything flowed seamlessly from front to back without hearing any major difference in frequency response or harshness. That was my major concern, the possibility of the ribbons being more harsh than the dome tweeters of the Polks. So far, I have not seemed to notice enough of a difference to say anything negative about the setup. I don't know if the in-ceiling cans were necessary in a home theater setup due to most lower frequencies being managed by the front stage and sub, but thought I would try them out. I'll follow up on the difference with and without the cans soon. I feel most overhead and surround presence is in the mid-to-upper frequency range anyways, so probably not much is gained/lost with the cans and ported feature.

Overall, pretty happy with the setup so far. I need to find some time to rotate the speakers in the ceiling to see if there is any difference in frequency response/presence when listening to the same content since ribbon tweeters have different direction sound that done tweeters. Hope you find the video helpful.

https://youtu.be/MKJAVcUJyEg
Great video. Am looking into using these speakers for my media room and my living room and I'm definitely interested in the follow-up video regarding whether the enclosures/cans were a good addition or not. A teaser opinion by way of a reply here would go astray either
post #70 of 137 Old 08-15-2018, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post
Great video. Am looking into using these speakers for my media room and my living room and I'm definitely interested in the follow-up video regarding whether the enclosures/cans were a good addition or not. A teaser opinion by way of a reply here would go astray either
I really do need to make a follow up on these... Been so busy with finishing things up down there and picking up extra shifts lately. I haven't had time to pull the speakers/cans down to put the plug ports back in, but I'll say this: I don't think these do well ported. After some comparing the 2 in ceiling setups, I found the Alphas without the cans sounded much better than the ported Ambers with cans. Way too boomy midbass, very muddy and unnatural sounding. I am interested to see if plugging the port gives the woofer a better bass/midbass response with the can. I'll try to do that sometime soon and let you know, but that's my thoughts so far. I don't think I noticed it before due to listening to all the speakers for movies/music and the fronts being naturally louder.

post #71 of 137 Old 08-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I really do need to make a follow up on these... Been so busy with finishing things up down there and picking up extra shifts lately. I haven't had time to pull the speakers/cans down to put the plug ports back in, but I'll say this: I don't think these do well ported. After some comparing the 2 in ceiling setups, I found the Alphas without the cans sounded much better than the ported Ambers with cans. Way too boomy midbass, very muddy and unnatural sounding. I am interested to see if plugging the port gives the woofer a better bass/midbass response with the can. I'll try to do that sometime soon and let you know, but that's my thoughts so far. I don't think I noticed it before due to listening to all the speakers for movies/music and the fronts being naturally louder.
Lovely - much obliged. Please do keep us posted with updates regarding the porting and use of the cans. For me, I can see minimizing sound leakage as a benefit to using the cans. But if they prove deleterious to the overall sound quality, saving the expense and extra installation time associated with using the cans would be a no brainer.

Thx in advance.
post #72 of 137 Old 08-23-2018, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, I still need to take some time to compare the in ceiling speakers.... but I made some more progress elsewhere!

Completed getting the cabinets installed, ran LED accent lighting, and wrapped up the trim work.

post #73 of 137 Old 09-01-2018, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Excellent basement build @blister64 . Great job! Video was spot on too. Did Adorama ever send you the new center or replacement drivers? I would have been livid, but yeah stuff happens. I guess for the price a little inconvenience is ok.

Chip

Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
post #74 of 137 Old 09-01-2018, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
Excellent basement build @blister64 . Great job! Video was spot on too. Did Adorama ever send you the new center or replacement drivers? I would have been livid, but yeah stuff happens. I guess for the price a little inconvenience is ok.

Chip
Thanks man! I read your comment on your thread too. I'm at the in-laws now haha! But here for a wedding and have a packed weekend this time. Would love to meet up and talk over a beer or two! And you are welcome to come anytime to Wichita to do the same. Might be more organized in a few months though haha. Appreciate the kind words... it has been a huge project but I have really enjoyed doing it.
As far as Adorama. No, they never got me a center channel after 4 months. I was using my other diy center for the time being. But obviously sold what I had off and purchased the 1299s. I'll have an unboxing video of everything hopefully in the next week.
Ladeback likes this.

post #75 of 137 Old 09-04-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks man! I read your comment on your thread too. I'm at the in-laws now haha! But here for a wedding and have a packed weekend this time. Would love to meet up and talk over a beer or two! And you are welcome to come anytime to Wichita to do the same. Might be more organized in a few months though haha. Appreciate the kind words... it has been a huge project but I have really enjoyed doing it.
As far as Adorama. No, they never got me a center channel after 4 months. I was using my other diy center for the time being. But obviously sold what I had off and purchased the 1299s. I'll have an unboxing video of everything hopefully in the next week.
The 1299's should be a big difference from what you had before. What are you doing for surrounds, Volt 10's. I am liking my old Klipsch speakers for new and will probably stay with them and just add a set surround speakers for the rear channels and wide for Atmos at a later date.
blister64 likes this.

post #76 of 137 Old 09-04-2018, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The 1299's should be a big difference from what you had before. What are you doing for surrounds, Volt 10's. I am liking my old Klipsch speakers for new and will probably stay with them and just add a set surround speakers for the rear channels and wide for Atmos at a later date.
Yea I got the Volt 10's for surrounds for the 5.x.2 system I'm doing. I currently am running my Diy swope towers and center, and my surrounds are some old HT in a box surrounds from onkyo hahaha. I pretty much can't hear anything behind me, they blow... But soon. It'll be better. My neighbor had a full klipsch system, it sounded pretty darn nice

post #77 of 137 Old 09-07-2018, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You guys already know what happened with the Polk's I had, but wanted to make a short comparison video between the 707s and the swope towers I build 2 years ago and use upstairs. Plus I needed a good way to explain why I sold the Polks and bought something else.

This is not a super technical review. I spent an afternoon listening to things I really know well at this point. Also had a few other people listen to the several clips without knowing which speaker was hooked up. Spoiler, we all liked the Swope towers over the 707s. There were clips that were almost too close to tell the difference, while others were hands down better coming from the diy towers. Clarity and detail were the biggest advantages the Swopes had over the Polks. The 707s had better bass, but it wasn't the cleanest bass. Anyways, don't judge the thumbnail. It's late, I'm tired, I threw it together. Enjoy lol

Ladeback likes this.

post #78 of 137 Old 09-20-2018, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Unboxing of the DIYSG 1299 and Volt 10. Couple things to finish up around the house then it's build time. Should be starting early October.

And also a video on how to install and undermount sink. In case anyone was interested....

Ladeback likes this.

post #79 of 137 Old 09-23-2018, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thread discussion on which route I should take for DIY subs with my weird open space layout. Feel free to weigh in at the link below
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post56853882

post #80 of 137 Old 10-18-2018, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finished up the network rack in my back room.

On a side note, NavePoint seems to be a pretty decent option for racks/rack equipment. I got a second 25u rack as well (next video) and both seem to be good build quality. Everything went together easy, worked as is should, and wasn't extremely expensive.

post #81 of 137 Old 10-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Finished up the network rack in my back room.

On a side note, NavePoint seems to be a pretty decent option for racks/rack equipment. I got a second 25u rack as well (next video) and both seem to be good build quality. Everything went together easy, worked as is should, and wasn't extremely expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksm2H99ut6I&t=2s

Excellent job. Much better than my plywood board and mounted patch panel/switch.

post #82 of 137 Old 10-18-2018, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Excellent job. Much better than my plywood board and mounted patch panel/switch.

Thanks man. Those damn wires took forever. Did them over a few days after getting off from work. Would get about 10 or so done and walked away lol. And hey, as long as it works, doesn't matter how pretty it is! I bet you walked away a little cheaper than I came out at least...

post #83 of 137 Old 10-19-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice cable management Ryan. Looks nice. I would do that , but with having Google my all in one Modem/Router/DVR it has to be upstairs to get the best coverage.

If you want to know what each cable is without having to go look at a sheet, you could label them with tape labels. We use them in our telecom work to have GC's label all out fiber connections. Here is one that's not to bad priced. My wife has a nicer one for work I may borrow when I get my cables run to there permanent spots in the room.

https://www.amazon.com/DYMO-LabelMan...el+maker&psc=1

post #84 of 137 Old 10-19-2018, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@Ladeback thanks man, but I did all the work myself. Gave Ryan the day off. My name is Kyle lol
I have looked at getting one of those label printers... They would be useful for so many things. Maybe soon I'll grab one.

post #85 of 137 Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Ladeback thanks man, but I did all the work myself. Gave Ryan the day off. My name is Kyle lol
I have looked at getting one of those label printers... They would be useful for so many things. Maybe soon I'll grab one.
Sorry about that Kyle, it's been a long week and have talked to lot of people for work and guess Ryan was on my mind since I talk to a lot of Ryan's and Justin's.

You build and videos are impressive and are helpful. I want to do the epoxy coating to the counter tops kn our rental before we sell, but the wife is skeptical on it. Looking forward to the speaker build videos.

post #86 of 137 Old 10-21-2018, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry about that Kyle, it's been a long week and have talked to lot of people for work and guess Ryan was on my mind since I talk to a lot of Ryan's and Justin's.

You build and videos are impressive and are helpful. I want to do the epoxy coating to the counter tops kn our rental before we sell, but the wife is skeptical on it. Looking forward to the speaker build videos.
Ha no problem, was just giving you a hard time!
Thanks man. We did a lot of research before deciding to give epoxy a try. Ultimately it was one of those things where we decided that if we didn't like them and wanted something different (granite, quartz), it was only about $600 we'd be out. Granted, that's a lot of money, but when compared to $4000+ quotes for quarts/granite, we thought it was worth the risk. And it paid off, we love them.

That said, I don't know that I would do this in our kitchen for a long term solution. It would see a lot more activity and although it's hard, it's not stone, so it will potentially scratch and show wear over time. For our bar area that see's limited use and doesn't see cutting boards, hot pans, etc. that the kitchen does, I think it will hold up just fine. Also for updating the rental home kitchen, I think it would work fine as well. You should be able to sand whatever counters are currently on there and pour directly over those. Pretty easy way to update the look.

post #87 of 137 Old 11-10-2018, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally got stuff up off the floor and organized. Now I can focus on building speakers!!

post #88 of 137 Old 11-10-2018, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Finally got stuff up off the floor and organized. Now I can focus on building speakers!!

https://youtu.be/0-oScorZRYQ

As usual great video. What were your thoughts on placing the Yamaha close to the crown amp as heat coming off the Yamaha during movies etc?

Also race is on! Started the 1099’s last night. Wish I had triple the clamps I have...slow going.

If you coming to LS over thanksgiving let me know.

post #89 of 137 Old 11-11-2018, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
As usual great video. What were your thoughts on placing the Yamaha close to the crown amp as heat coming off the Yamaha during movies etc?
Not too concerned. There's a little space between the two, but not much. The crown vents from the front though and it never really has gotten too hot for me. It's bridged for a single Dayton UM15 so it's not being pushed hard. Had it in the rack for almost 3 weeks. If it was all enclosed like the network rack I used, it'd probly be more of a concern, but no issues as it sits.

post #90 of 137 Old 11-11-2018, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally got some time to pull these speakers out of the ceiling and spent some time testing. The optional metal cans from monoprice didn't seem to do much for sound quality, but are helpful for cutting down noise from traveling to the floor above. I didnt like the ports being utilized either, keeping them sealed sounded much more natural.

Slaine and chiptouz like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page